GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tripoli on July 28, 2023, 08:55:38 AM

Title: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on July 28, 2023, 08:55:38 AM
RIP Randy Meisner

BoC work for me.  Finishing up a small scenario in CMO.  Wrapping up phase one of my AAR in Rule the Waves.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 10:09:27 AM
More Field of Glory 2: Medieval with some Knights of Honor 2, Crusader Kings 2 and maybe a dash of A Plague Tale - Requiem.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on July 28, 2023, 10:10:57 AM
Trying out Baldur's Gate 3 (early access) to get ready for full release next week.

Have a cool weekend.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Geezer on July 28, 2023, 10:27:57 AM
Playing Farthest Frontier.  Having fun so far, but I've barely scratched the surface of what looks like a pretty deep city builder.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Anguille on July 28, 2023, 10:34:20 AM
Have been playing a good game as Sparta in Imperium Greek Wars this week. I intend to complete it.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 10:47:01 AM
I've been playing a lot of WW1 Tannenberg in a desperate attempt to find an FPS to replace my beloved Heroes & Generals (which is now permanently shutdown).
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 11:03:04 AM
^Playing with bots or people?
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Dammit Carl! on July 28, 2023, 11:48:40 AM
Still on my choppy-chop trip on the Chivalry 2 trail - playing and trying to max my archer class as I'm a masochist at the moment.

Otherwise, the estate workings I mentioned last week has turned up a bonus for me: a no-shit box of D&D stuff from a corner in the attic.  All the materials inside were in really, really remarkable condition for being squirreled away for an untold number of years.  Also, several boxes/sets of miniatures from Grenadier to boot!  Made this fat, old man giggle, it did.  Pity I never found a supposed 2nd box of rpg things, but the Mom was veeerrrryyy religious, so I'm assuming it got tossed in the Satanic Panic years at some point.

The rpg nostalgia has made me look at my Traveller items and commenced me to ponderin'...

Anyway, if anyone is in mid-NC close to the SC line and looking to buy old peoples' things this weekend, hit me up in DMs for the details of the sale!  TTFN!

Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 12:08:17 PM
Yet even more Jagged Alliance 3 and DCS.  Contemplating getting Aliens Dark Descent on sale tonight though.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: solops on July 28, 2023, 12:41:40 PM
UA Dreadnaughts
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 12:58:18 PM
Quote from: solops on July 28, 2023, 12:41:40 PMUA Dreadnaughts

Has the campaign finally fixed the problem of all the major nations overspending and collapsing after about 5 years in game?

Kept ruining it for me.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: solops on July 28, 2023, 01:02:54 PM
Several patches addressed it. Have not played in a while. I hope so. There have been lots of fixes in the last three months. The way nations collapse may have changed, too.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 01:08:21 PM
Quote from: solops on July 28, 2023, 01:02:54 PMSeveral patches addressed it. Have not played in a while. I hope so. There have been lots of fixes in the last three months.

Here's hoping.

My last campaign terminated on June 11 when the British Empire and France both collapsed before 1900.

Just couldn't deal with seeing all of Europe go anarchy and Mad Max in such a short time.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 01:35:40 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 11:03:04 AM^Playing with bots or people?

A little bit of both actually. 

The people seem nice in this community/game and I'm actually doing well fighting against other humans.  I get the impression that most people are used to fast paced shooters whereas I'm ok with taking my time in a WW1 style shootout. 

Ironically, when playing against medium difficulty bots I get smoked pretty bad.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 01:38:56 PM
I tried Tannenberg with bots years ago and got destroyed every single time  :huh:
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 01:38:56 PMI tried Tannenberg with bots years ago and got destroyed every single time  :huh:

Bots can sometimes be worse than people.

For example, I have a much harder time in DCS vs AI than I do vs Humans.  AI even when it's kind of poor doesn't tend to make the same mistakes a human makes.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 01:43:32 PM
I guess I can attribute my failure against the bots to the game mode I love the most.  I just can't seem to keep up with them when it comes to capturing sectors. 

But against humans it's a bit easier.  Everyone seems to not understand working together as a team to capture trenches so I pick on lone wolves easily from the safety of my own trenches. 

I play the capture the sectors mode exclusively.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 01:45:13 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 01:40:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 01:38:56 PMI tried Tannenberg with bots years ago and got destroyed every single time  :huh:

Bots can sometimes be worse than people.

For example, I have a much harder time in DCS vs AI than I do vs Humans.  AI even when it's kind of poor doesn't tend to make the same mistakes a human makes.

I'm seeing exactly that same behavior in Tannenberg.  People don't know how to properly approach and storm trenches whereas the bots are merciless and brutal in their methodical attacks.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on July 28, 2023, 01:52:45 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 01:45:13 PMI'm seeing exactly that same behavior in Tannenberg.  People don't know how to properly approach and storm trenches whereas the bots are merciless and brutal in their methodical attacks.

Yeah, that's the thing.  AI, for its many failings in these kinds of games can be superior to people.

In DCS a human is having to manage a lot at once, and deal with his own mental issues of avoiding friendly fire, forgetting a key bind, understanding if the target he has is the right one, and doing the proper tactics in a merged dogfight.

AI doesn't have those limitations, it always knows who is who, it can instantly multitask and never hesitates.  It may be inferior in skill to a human but those attributes make up for it many times.

Even abysmal AI in an FPS can be a problem.  I saw it a lot playing Enlisted.  The squad bots were terrible on a level that is hard to describe, but they always knew when they were being shot at, always responded instantly, and typically never missed. 

Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 28, 2023, 02:35:48 PM
(https://www.sideshow.com/storage/product-images/400060/t-800-endoskeleton_terminator_square.jpg)
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 28, 2023, 03:09:08 PM
^Haha!  Yup.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Groggy on July 28, 2023, 08:32:15 PM
Helluva rough week with both Sinead O' Connor and Randy Meisner gone. Heavy gut punches.

I'll only have time to continue with my female necromancer in Diablo 4. Love this game.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on July 28, 2023, 10:06:36 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire 2 - Been really enjoying this lately. So smooth and polished for an early BETA. I love a lot of the new GUI interface features.

Hell Let Loose - This is the most populous game for the realism punch I know of. Easily a replacement for Heroes and Generals I would think. BTW I hear that Heroes and Generals 2 is being made??

Company of Heroes 2 & 3 COH2 but mainly 3. 3 feels much better than 2, especially in the arena of "time to death" for units.

Boltgun Edit: just finished this game.

Here are some fun photos of a museum I was at 7 days ago, I know some of us here like tanks;

(https://i.imgur.com/IxDOYJd.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/qA2xl6i.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/VoEJxNH.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/Tx8bHte.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/7RaLXs0.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/ifjaOs5.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/DD41hyE.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/D2ATgRL.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/CJUMTUN.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/3G7GSxE.jpg)

Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 29, 2023, 09:04:36 AM
Taking a cold shower after looking at Destraex's HOT pics.  :Dreamer: After taking care of my own yard, I'll be trimming Stalin's front yard in WitE 1. Have a good one Grogs.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 29, 2023, 11:15:59 AM
Yeah Slash, I need to take a cold one too.  Those pictures are amazing!  Thanks for sharing Destraex.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: FarAway Sooner on July 29, 2023, 11:39:30 AM
Are some of us more turned on by tanks than by our preferred gender?  Only here, I tell you, only here!  Great pictures, Destraex!   :masterchief:

I have tried getting back into Stellaris after a few years away, but even with a few DLC added, it's just not doing it for me.  I'm not sure why.  The early game now just feels very dry and formulaic.

So I turned back to DW2, and found myself restarting my game 4 times last night because I kept getting crappy starts.  I'm okay with a little adversity, but when I find myself sandwiched between 2 empires in the same tenth of the board it just kind of bums me out (I'm playing with 7 AI total on a Medium map). 

Not sure whether to keep tilting up that hill or jump over to Nephilim Saga.  Not bad choices, I guess.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 29, 2023, 12:13:28 PM
Thanks for posting those shots, Des. Tiny Teddy is my spirit animal.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 29, 2023, 02:11:51 PM
And your professional name? Or was that, 'Theodore'?
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 29, 2023, 02:49:41 PM
*classified*
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 29, 2023, 07:31:32 PM
IDK...It's ok to love a tank, just not LOVE a tank.  Because it might hurt.  LOL
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 30, 2023, 01:52:23 PM
It also might hurt for the tank to LOVE you back.  :HideEyes:
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 30, 2023, 05:52:21 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 30, 2023, 01:52:23 PMIt also might hurt for the tank to LOVE you back.  :HideEyes:

Well that would make one a man of steel!  :grin:
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 30, 2023, 09:47:57 PM
And leave some hard-to-explain track marks over your anatomy I bet.  :huh:
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on July 31, 2023, 01:11:01 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2023, 12:13:28 PMThanks for posting those shots, Des. Tiny Teddy is my spirit animal.
Haha, yeah. That Tiny Teddy M113 is interesting because the Australians rejected the Sheridan Tank and decided to put a Saladin turret on an M113 and call it a day.

The Tank Museum is a very good one and something you guys in the US are probably used to. But for an Australian museum this one has over 100 armoured vehicles and 70% of them running. I would guess it would be the 3rd best of its kind in the world. They had an open hatch day wednesdays where a talk on a specific tank and a turn at sitting in it was held. On Saturdays a guy comes in and does a 2hr plus talk and tour for free. There is a shooting gallery downstairs which I did not explore but now wish I did as now somebody tells me that is where all the small arms and left overs were stored. They also offer rides in an APC with the sides ripped out so you can see, which when I was their was a HUMVEE ride as the usual apc was out for maintenance. 

You can see world of tanks and fury posters on the walls as well as the fury tank set display. It's a privately owned museum so the guy must have some serious money. The museum keeps restoring and buying tanks. At least another 3 are ont he way I think they said.

Some of the exhibits like the Panzer IV E are the only ones of their kind left in the world iirc

What is typical is that the normal touristy stuff gets all the glory in that part of the world. The Buses and tourist info places never mention it. We drove past it going to a touristy place and they only mentioned the skyrail next to it.

(https://i.imgur.com/pbwY67b.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/XzfrcYj.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/9KBU9e8.jpg)

Name the yellow piece below
(https://i.imgur.com/1X7umyE.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/7n3C3uD.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/qSuesPY.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/Yd05WtP.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/tfYqKz3.jpg)

(https://i.imgur.com/lVXBMD5.jpg)
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AM
Is that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2023, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on July 31, 2023, 09:04:47 AM
Is this museum near your house, Des?
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on July 31, 2023, 09:49:08 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2023, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.
Yes, but not a normal 17prd.... it's called a pheasant. A 17pdr they deployed before the actual proper AT carriage was ready. They almost no traverse I think they said and were phased out ASAP.
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on July 31, 2023, 09:51:03 AM
Quote from: Gusington on July 31, 2023, 09:04:47 AMIs this museum near your house, Des?
It's in Cairns and no, nowhere near my house. It's call the Australian armour and artillery museum.
https://www.ausarmour.com/
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on July 31, 2023, 10:21:05 AM
Damn! Now I gotta take ANOTHER cold shower.  :doh:
Title: Re: Take it to the FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 01:23:15 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2023, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.

I was thinking 17 pdr at first but that flash suppressor and muzzle brake is throwing me off. 

Edit: Nevermind, I see Des answered.  Need to read further down a thread before typing next time.