Main Menu

Take it to the FRIDAY

Started by Tripoli, July 28, 2023, 08:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

It also might hurt for the tank to LOVE you back.  :HideEyes:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: Sir Slash on July 30, 2023, 01:52:23 PMIt also might hurt for the tank to LOVE you back.  :HideEyes:

Well that would make one a man of steel!  :grin:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Sir Slash

And leave some hard-to-explain track marks over your anatomy I bet.  :huh:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Destraex

#33
Quote from: Gusington on July 29, 2023, 12:13:28 PMThanks for posting those shots, Des. Tiny Teddy is my spirit animal.
Haha, yeah. That Tiny Teddy M113 is interesting because the Australians rejected the Sheridan Tank and decided to put a Saladin turret on an M113 and call it a day.

The Tank Museum is a very good one and something you guys in the US are probably used to. But for an Australian museum this one has over 100 armoured vehicles and 70% of them running. I would guess it would be the 3rd best of its kind in the world. They had an open hatch day wednesdays where a talk on a specific tank and a turn at sitting in it was held. On Saturdays a guy comes in and does a 2hr plus talk and tour for free. There is a shooting gallery downstairs which I did not explore but now wish I did as now somebody tells me that is where all the small arms and left overs were stored. They also offer rides in an APC with the sides ripped out so you can see, which when I was their was a HUMVEE ride as the usual apc was out for maintenance. 

You can see world of tanks and fury posters on the walls as well as the fury tank set display. It's a privately owned museum so the guy must have some serious money. The museum keeps restoring and buying tanks. At least another 3 are ont he way I think they said.

Some of the exhibits like the Panzer IV E are the only ones of their kind left in the world iirc

What is typical is that the normal touristy stuff gets all the glory in that part of the world. The Buses and tourist info places never mention it. We drove past it going to a touristy place and they only mentioned the skyrail next to it.







Name the yellow piece below










"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

W8taminute

Is that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Is this museum near your house, Des?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2023, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.
Yes, but not a normal 17prd.... it's called a pheasant. A 17pdr they deployed before the actual proper AT carriage was ready. They almost no traverse I think they said and were phased out ASAP.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

Quote from: Gusington on July 31, 2023, 09:04:47 AMIs this museum near your house, Des?
It's in Cairns and no, nowhere near my house. It's call the Australian armour and artillery museum.
https://www.ausarmour.com/
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Sir Slash

Damn! Now I gotta take ANOTHER cold shower.  :doh:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 31, 2023, 08:31:45 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 31, 2023, 07:48:29 AMIs that yellow artillery piece an Israeli Soltam?

I think it's an anti-tank gun. Perhaps a British 17 pdr.

I was thinking 17 pdr at first but that flash suppressor and muzzle brake is throwing me off. 

Edit: Nevermind, I see Des answered.  Need to read further down a thread before typing next time. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk