GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Tripoli on October 20, 2023, 10:13:40 AM

Title: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on October 20, 2023, 10:13:40 AM
Warren Zevon.  Seems appropriate for the world in which we live in....


Me?  BoC work.  WarPlans PBEM game.  CMO work.  Combat Mission PBEM game.  Starfield, which is my latest diversion from real life  :grin:
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 10:22:31 AM
More Days Gone with Tainted Grail: Fall of Avalon as a chaser.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 10:49:22 AM
Strangely my appetite for gaming has decreased in the past couple of days.  I'm going to have to figure out what to play this weekend.  I probably will do Hex of Steel and maybe something on the PS4 but after that who knows?
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 11:38:17 AM
A metric butt ton of DCS and IL2: Great Battles in my new Pimax Crystal now complete with prescription lenses and lighthouse module.

Outside of that some casual progression of my campaign in Decisive Campaigns Ardennes and maybe follow W8's suggestion of some Hex of Steel with the new updates.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 12:51:50 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 11:38:17 AM...
and maybe follow W8's suggestion of some Hex of Steel with the new updates.

As senator Palpatine would say, "Do it!"

You can hotseat solo (which is what I'm doing) with the game and my grand Europe 1939 scenario is quite the blast.  Some modder also released a Arab-Israeli 6 Day War scenario that, while a bit rough around the edges, is not bad at depicting what happened.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 12:53:37 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 12:51:50 PMAs senator Palpatine would say, "Do it!"



Haha, indeed.  I've owned Hex of Steel for some time, just haven't messed with it for a bit while I've been going through DC: Ardennes.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on October 20, 2023, 01:36:12 PM
Baldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

And now I need to check out a game called Hex Of Steel ...
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 01:47:30 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on October 20, 2023, 01:36:12 PMAnd now I need to check out a game called Hex Of Steel ...

It's got a demo.  It's a fun little game way deeper than you'd expect for what it is. 

I would wait for a sale though. It's on sale a lot and typically for around a tenner.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 01:53:34 PM
The developer is also working on Beasts of Steel...combo FPS/strategy game set in WWII.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 01:55:57 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 01:53:34 PMThe developer is also working on Beasts of Steel...combo FPS/strategy game set in WWII.

My mind is absolutely boggled by what he's been able to accomplish with just himself and a partner. 

Somebody buy this man a studio.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on October 20, 2023, 01:58:56 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 01:47:30 PMI would wait for a sale though. It's on sale a lot and typically for around a tenner.

And it is on sale now  :hair:  (https://www.gamersgate.com/product/hex-of-steel/)  -63%
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Sir Slash on October 20, 2023, 02:11:00 PM
I'm STILL trying to work-out what the hell going on in the 1100 A.D. Mod for Rome 2. If Life would leave me the hell alone for a bit, I could get somewhere with it. Not Life so much as the irritating people in it.  :hair:   Have a great weekend Grogs.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 02:12:27 PM
^You bastard.

Yes the Hex of Steel developer is working with his brother! Two man team.

The 1100AD mod is epic and well worth the time to learn, Slash.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: CJReich46 on October 20, 2023, 02:35:03 PM
I've been retro mode. I suppose.

Mostly Pharaoh/Cleo- with widescreen mod

Daggerfall Unity - they just released a 0.1.6 update and restored the island of Betony from the demo. The developer plans on getting this to 1.0. The developer plans on using Godot after 1.0
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 01:53:34 PMThe developer is also working on Beasts of Steel...combo FPS/strategy game set in WWII.

Already wishlisted and worthy of buying on day one sight unseen.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 08:56:40 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 08:56:06 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 20, 2023, 01:53:34 PMThe developer is also working on Beasts of Steel...combo FPS/strategy game set in WWII.

Already wishlisted and worthy of buying on day one sight unseen.

Based on Hex of Steel indeed.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 08:57:45 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on October 20, 2023, 01:36:12 PMBaldur's Gate 3 and Cyberpunk 2077.

And now I need to check out a game called Hex Of Steel ...

I agree with SirAndrew, great game but wait for a sale.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 09:14:14 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 08:57:45 PMI agree with SirAndrew, great game but wait for a sale.

Geez guys, just call me Andrew.  You think I'm creative enough to use something other than my real name!?  I mean, I'm a public figure I'm not hard to find.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 09:22:57 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 09:14:14 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 08:57:45 PMI agree with SirAndrew, great game but wait for a sale.

Geez guys, just call me Andrew.  You think I'm creative enough to use something other than my real name!?  I mean, I'm a public figure I'm not hard to find.

I admit I can be such a formal dork sometimes.  But now that you have given the ok I'll call you Andrew for future reference.   :cool:
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 09:31:05 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 09:22:57 PMI admit I can be such a formal dork sometimes.  But now that you have given the ok I'll call you Andrew for future reference.   :cool:

Humorously my moniker here is not one I use many places.  It was an old thing my ex-wife bestowed on me when I was 19 because of my insane sometimes personally dangerous bent on trying to help people and the fact I'd gotten in a few altercations defending bullied people.

I generally go by Sgt.Pinback from the movie Dark Star on most forums or games, but it fits to keep the old one here for posterity to the thread to the olde days on the Wargamer.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: solops on October 21, 2023, 06:26:00 AM
Shadow Empire
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: bobarossa on October 21, 2023, 09:28:34 AM
Continuing my AGEOD ACW2 campaign.  Getting close to taking Richmond in late '62 so I may fire up Hex of Steel since it's got so many new updates since I last played.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2023, 12:17:23 PM
^I'll be sending you multiple receipts.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: bobarossa on October 21, 2023, 01:10:56 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2023, 12:17:23 PM^I'll be sending you multiple receipts.
You can send me all the receipts you want!  Just don't send me the bills.   :grin:
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2023, 01:54:56 PM
^That was intended for W8...and he pays  :justice:
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 21, 2023, 08:04:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 21, 2023, 12:17:23 PM^I'll be sending you multiple receipts.

Haha!  Multiple receipts for being a dork?  :Nerd:
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 21, 2023, 11:07:06 PM
Yes! And the the Hex of Steel games.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on October 22, 2023, 02:16:23 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 20, 2023, 09:31:05 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on October 20, 2023, 09:22:57 PMI admit I can be such a formal dork sometimes.  But now that you have given the ok I'll call you Andrew for future reference.   :cool:

Humorously my moniker here is not one I use many places.  It was an old thing my ex-wife bestowed on me when I was 19 because of my insane sometimes personally dangerous bent on trying to help people and the fact I'd gotten in a few altercations defending bullied people.

I generally go by Sgt.Pinback from the movie Dark Star on most forums or games, but it fits to keep the old one here for posterity to the thread to the olde days on the Wargamer.
So what you are really trying to say is that you are a bot?  :twirl:
Honestly though, I did get the impression from your posts that you were genuinely a nice guy.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 26, 2023, 10:56:49 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 22, 2023, 02:16:23 AMSo what you are really trying to say is that you are a bot?  :twirl:
Honestly though, I did get the impression from your posts that you were genuinely a nice guy.

Oh no.  Wow, I really have you fooled!

But anyway thanks Destraex, same to you.   We go back even before the grogs to TWC if you remember.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 08:38:26 AM
TWC = Total War Center?
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 27, 2023, 09:51:15 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 08:38:26 AMTWC = Total War Center?

That would be it.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 10:43:27 AM
I used to there daily before Steam.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: W8taminute on October 27, 2023, 02:20:39 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 10:43:27 AMI used to there daily before Steam.

Same. 

TWC eventually became so laggy for me though.  Not just on one computer either. 

In any case Steam and YouTube killed a lot of these traditional gaming forums.  Once Discord came on the scene non of the young gamers hang out in forums anymore.  Nobody but us old relics. 
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 02:35:54 PM
^Me too. I think their server is older than both of us.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: solops on October 27, 2023, 06:48:17 PM
In case this thread is being recycled for a second Friday, it's----

Shadow Empire....AGAIN!
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2023, 07:26:43 PM
Ok, mine is Tainted Grail - Fall of Avalon if I have time. Tomorrow is our annual West Point football game - this year vs. UMASS. Go Army!
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Tripoli on October 27, 2023, 09:41:06 PM
I'll go with recycling a Zevon music thread again. BoC work.  Flashpoint Campaign Southern Storm work.  And CMO.
 
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Pete Dero on October 28, 2023, 02:51:35 AM
Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on October 28, 2023, 07:35:38 PM
Well, here's a song for you with the game...

Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: jamus34 on October 29, 2023, 12:08:18 PM
With what little time I have it's going to be spent with Octopath Traveller 2.

Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on November 07, 2023, 11:07:35 PM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 26, 2023, 10:56:49 PM
Quote from: Destraex on October 22, 2023, 02:16:23 AMSo what you are really trying to say is that you are a bot?  :twirl:
Honestly though, I did get the impression from your posts that you were genuinely a nice guy.

Oh no.  Wow, I really have you fooled!

But anyway thanks Destraex, same to you.   We go back even before the grogs to TWC if you remember.

I remember the total war centre. I think I used to go there up until rome2. Which was when my total war love affair ended.
I have to be honest and say I don't remember you there but am not surprised.
Twc was great. The internet feels like a very cold place compared to what it used to be. My glasses are very rosey today.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: SirAndrewD on November 08, 2023, 01:31:04 AM
Quote from: Destraex on November 07, 2023, 11:07:35 PMI remember the total war centre. I think I used to go there up until rome2. Which was when my total war love affair ended.
I have to be honest and say I don't remember you there but am not surprised.
Twc was great. The internet feels like a very cold place compared to what it used to be. My glasses are very rosey today.

I ended there after Empire.  I felt like the lead up to that was kind of a heyday. With your avatar I figured the same.

Back then I was still a history teacher and reenactor and felt I had something to offer.  Now I'm just a dry sad businessman.  Ah well.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Destraex on November 08, 2023, 06:30:21 AM
Quote from: SirAndrewD on November 08, 2023, 01:31:04 AM
Quote from: Destraex on November 07, 2023, 11:07:35 PMI remember the total war centre. I think I used to go there up until rome2. Which was when my total war love affair ended.
I have to be honest and say I don't remember you there but am not surprised.
Twc was great. The internet feels like a very cold place compared to what it used to be. My glasses are very rosey today.

I ended there after Empire.  I felt like the lead up to that was kind of a heyday. With your avatar I figured the same.

Back then I was still a history teacher and reenactor and felt I had something to offer.  Now I'm just a dry sad businessman.  Ah well.
I think you are right for mods at least. I Think I went back for a brief stint to see about rome2. I did not apply any mods to shogun2 at all or Napoleon.

 Somebody as I remember dug out some files for grappling and corvus ships... which were never introduced into game. Which kinda showed me naval combat had failed to get the resources it needed to be as good as the land combat. Then on release of course land combat turned out to be neutered as well in both a graphical and a simplified feature sense.
Title: Re: Lawyers, Guns and FRIDAY
Post by: Gusington on November 08, 2023, 09:09:38 AM
The last few posts have made me a dry sad man child as well  :buck2:

I must have stopped going to TWC when the Steam workshop took over for almost all my TW modding needs.