GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on June 05, 2024, 11:35:54 AM

Title: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: steve58 on June 05, 2024, 11:35:54 AM
fyi:  Looks like there will be a demo of this one in the upcoming Steam Next Fest June 10-17.

https://www.slitherine.com/news/scramble-battle-of-britain-demo-out-for-steam-next-fest
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: CJReich46 on June 05, 2024, 09:34:17 PM
Sweet. I love the Spitfire.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Destraex on June 06, 2024, 02:52:46 AM
  I really want to play this one.
Anyone know if by turn based they mean wego? Especially at this kind of small unit scale, traditional turn based combat makes things look out of phase.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Gusington on June 06, 2024, 08:48:08 AM
Reminds me a bit of those Sid Meier air tactic games from ~10 years ago.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: bobarossa on June 06, 2024, 09:31:15 AM
I know there are videos that I haven't watched but this snippet suggests WEGO.

"A turn-based match structure that transitions from planning, through simulation, and into review of each turn"
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Phantom on June 06, 2024, 12:36:47 PM
Is this a remake/upgrade of "Check your six"?
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Sigwolf on June 07, 2024, 08:34:21 PM
Quote from: Phantom on June 06, 2024, 12:36:47 PMIs this a remake/upgrade of "Check your six"?
Hopefully not in any sense more than conceptually.  The digital version went over so poorly that it was pulled from sale in relatively short order.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 08, 2024, 04:15:00 PM
Little bit of a sneak peek

https://strategyandwargaming.com/2024/06/08/scramble-battle-of-britain-demo-impressions/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR3abq67jsaRBxIIoLQy8Y0EUcd5QVQLad1uEVqpNn9_EAikXOVYoxWw8sU_aem_AcSrZjwu_NEmiJVhKhjt0yBMxxQUOcLZTXyq9PoPG56Z2mnNpkvmtZOUmLhiKbxozkTdbXtIU8xe36sysZZ59T7d
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: steve58 on June 10, 2024, 12:49:52 PM
Demo is up.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Pete Dero on June 10, 2024, 01:09:43 PM
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Redwolf on June 10, 2024, 02:09:53 PM
Quote from: Pete Dero on June 10, 2024, 01:09:43 PM

Looks very interesting. And relaxing after DCS.

But probably a lot of work to finish.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 10, 2024, 04:38:56 PM
Seems OK but I found that key rebinding wasn't always functioning properly. 

Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2024, 03:32:02 AM
I'll have to spend more time with it, in the short time it didn't really connect with me, probably because I didn't have a lot of knowledge what to actually do.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Destraex on June 11, 2024, 03:45:50 AM
It does seem to be wego and seems to play nicely. Have added to my wishlist.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2024, 04:45:25 AM
I am thinking this is still pretty far off being done.  In recent developer comment they mentioned they haven't even nailed down how they plan to implement the campaign yet.  Some reason thought this was a 2024 game but maybe not.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: MengJiao on June 11, 2024, 06:07:20 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2024, 04:45:25 AMI am thinking this is still pretty far off being done.  In recent developer comment they mentioned they haven't even nailed down how they plan to implement the campaign yet.  Some reason thought this was a 2924 game but maybe not.

Plays well and pretty fun and looks very NEATO.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: ArizonaTank on October 30, 2024, 07:41:11 AM
Scramble is released for early access on Steam.

Insta-buy for me. But probably no time to play today.

Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Redwolf on October 30, 2024, 08:41:08 AM
Added to cart. Won't have time to play for a while, too.

Maybe I'll wait for full release. Can only be 5 years or so :)
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: ArizonaTank on October 30, 2024, 11:30:36 AM
Playing around with it during lunch...

Going to take some time to learn. Interface nicely depicts air combat movement in a pretty realistic way. It has a few quirks that I struggle with, but overall I picked it up pretty quickly. But learning how to juggle speed, maneuver, and enemy movement is not easy, and will take more practice to master. In terms of depicting movement, it is probably the most realistic turn based air combat game since AH's old "Over the Reich" and "Achtung Spitfire" from the '90s (BTW, I thought Slitherine's "Check Your 6" was a waste of money).

Not clear how "Scramble" is at depicting gun combat and damage, since I was barely able to fly, let alone hit anything.

I tried a traditional "Turkey Shoot" with my Spitfire against a lone Stuka. Because of the speed difference, and rear gunner on the Ju-87, I was peppered if I matched speeds for a rear shot, but couldn't keep the Ju-87 in my sights otherwise.

Well, lunch is over, back to work...
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Destraex on October 31, 2024, 04:45:59 PM
I did not realise it released on the 30th. It's defo early access with no campaign yet. Currently it has a keep your roster alive for 30 days mode while managing pilot leave etc.

Given how good it is though and because it's wego, I am pretty keen to get it.

I do expect it will be a while before this one makes it out of early access but am already imagining b17 runs in dlc expansions. What a great game.

Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: JasonPratt on November 01, 2024, 08:03:49 AM
The release of this into early access partly inspired me to flip the map over on the (personally upgraded) excellent TTS module for Lion vs Eagle to play Eagle solo, thus creating a specific solo module for it!  :Nerd:

...or words to that effect.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 03, 2024, 10:17:55 AM
Played some more yesterday. Had fun. Some of the best computer turn-based air combat I've run into. But 3d interface took some time get used to...it is starting to click.

I did one fight with three Spits, vs. two Me-110s and two Me-109s.

The 109s were low and had to climb to the fight. So my three Spits went after the 110s.

Firing and aiming are still works in progress, or maybe I just don't understand the interface...  My guys sprayed the air with tracer rounds, barely hitting the enemy. Still, I managed to shoot down one Me-110. Damage models are detailed.

End result, one Spit down, one Spit broke off, one 110 down, the other 110 and 109s broke off.

I really want to see this game completed...more aircraft to fly...a complete campaign and bombers.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: SpaceGameJunkie on November 03, 2024, 10:24:53 AM
This looks to remind me of the old Over the Reich/Actung Spitfire games from the 90s, which I loved. Can't wait to try it.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 04, 2024, 08:27:14 AM
Quote from: SpaceGameJunkie on November 03, 2024, 10:24:53 AMThis looks to remind me of the old Over the Reich/Actung Spitfire games from the 90s, which I loved. Can't wait to try it.

I loved both of those games...and even the board games they are based on.

But yes, "Scramble" seems to borrow quite a bit from those Avalon Hill Computer games. Some of the interface elements are even similar. That is a good thing in my book.

I would say "Scramble" is just "inspired" by those early games since Scramble does have some innovations that would have been hard to pull off on a 1990s personal computer.

BTW, "Achtung Spitfire" and "Over the Reich" board games are still alive and well, with a very active and dedicated community.  "Wings of the Motherland" covering the Eastern Front was published by Clash of Arms a few years back.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland)



Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: acctingman on November 04, 2024, 11:35:04 PM
If they expand this to other theaters....I'm in
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: SpaceGameJunkie on November 04, 2024, 11:58:09 PM
Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 04, 2024, 08:27:14 AMBTW, "Achtung Spitfire" and "Over the Reich" board games are still alive and well, with a very active and dedicated community.  "Wings of the Motherland" covering the Eastern Front was published by Clash of Arms a few years back.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland)





Oh how delightful. I wish they'd make PC ports of them. I'd buy them in a heartbeat.
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: Con on November 05, 2024, 09:47:45 AM
Ive put in about 3 hours playing and its a very nice immersive game, does keep me coming back - you can see the expansion potential for different theaters and planes.
That being said the interface of clicking is not intuitive at all and as someone pointed out the gun controls are wonky as hell.  I am spraying and praying and when I run the full replay my plans is being flung around the skies like its being piloted by someone on bath salts.
Still a fun time waster - I have only played the quick battles
 
Title: Re: Scramble: Battle of Britain
Post by: ArizonaTank on November 05, 2024, 02:36:32 PM
Quote from: Con on November 05, 2024, 09:47:45 AM...gun controls are wonky as hell.  I am spraying and praying and when I run the full replay my plans is being flung around the skies like its being piloted by someone on bath salts.


Yep, I am either doing it wrong, or the game needs some improvement. Still, like you, I had fun...