Scramble: Battle of Britain

Started by steve58, June 05, 2024, 11:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 11, 2024, 04:45:25 AMI am thinking this is still pretty far off being done.  In recent developer comment they mentioned they haven't even nailed down how they plan to implement the campaign yet.  Some reason thought this was a 2924 game but maybe not.

Plays well and pretty fun and looks very NEATO.

ArizonaTank

Scramble is released for early access on Steam.

Insta-buy for me. But probably no time to play today.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Redwolf

Added to cart. Won't have time to play for a while, too.

Maybe I'll wait for full release. Can only be 5 years or so :)

ArizonaTank

#18
Playing around with it during lunch...

Going to take some time to learn. Interface nicely depicts air combat movement in a pretty realistic way. It has a few quirks that I struggle with, but overall I picked it up pretty quickly. But learning how to juggle speed, maneuver, and enemy movement is not easy, and will take more practice to master. In terms of depicting movement, it is probably the most realistic turn based air combat game since AH's old "Over the Reich" and "Achtung Spitfire" from the '90s (BTW, I thought Slitherine's "Check Your 6" was a waste of money).

Not clear how "Scramble" is at depicting gun combat and damage, since I was barely able to fly, let alone hit anything.

I tried a traditional "Turkey Shoot" with my Spitfire against a lone Stuka. Because of the speed difference, and rear gunner on the Ju-87, I was peppered if I matched speeds for a rear shot, but couldn't keep the Ju-87 in my sights otherwise.

Well, lunch is over, back to work...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Destraex

#19
I did not realise it released on the 30th. It's defo early access with no campaign yet. Currently it has a keep your roster alive for 30 days mode while managing pilot leave etc.

Given how good it is though and because it's wego, I am pretty keen to get it.

I do expect it will be a while before this one makes it out of early access but am already imagining b17 runs in dlc expansions. What a great game.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

JasonPratt

The release of this into early access partly inspired me to flip the map over on the (personally upgraded) excellent TTS module for Lion vs Eagle to play Eagle solo, thus creating a specific solo module for it!  :Nerd:

...or words to that effect.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

ArizonaTank

Played some more yesterday. Had fun. Some of the best computer turn-based air combat I've run into. But 3d interface took some time get used to...it is starting to click.

I did one fight with three Spits, vs. two Me-110s and two Me-109s.

The 109s were low and had to climb to the fight. So my three Spits went after the 110s.

Firing and aiming are still works in progress, or maybe I just don't understand the interface...  My guys sprayed the air with tracer rounds, barely hitting the enemy. Still, I managed to shoot down one Me-110. Damage models are detailed.

End result, one Spit down, one Spit broke off, one 110 down, the other 110 and 109s broke off.

I really want to see this game completed...more aircraft to fly...a complete campaign and bombers.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

SpaceGameJunkie

This looks to remind me of the old Over the Reich/Actung Spitfire games from the 90s, which I loved. Can't wait to try it.

ArizonaTank

#23
Quote from: SpaceGameJunkie on November 03, 2024, 10:24:53 AMThis looks to remind me of the old Over the Reich/Actung Spitfire games from the 90s, which I loved. Can't wait to try it.

I loved both of those games...and even the board games they are based on.

But yes, "Scramble" seems to borrow quite a bit from those Avalon Hill Computer games. Some of the interface elements are even similar. That is a good thing in my book.

I would say "Scramble" is just "inspired" by those early games since Scramble does have some innovations that would have been hard to pull off on a 1990s personal computer.

BTW, "Achtung Spitfire" and "Over the Reich" board games are still alive and well, with a very active and dedicated community.  "Wings of the Motherland" covering the Eastern Front was published by Clash of Arms a few years back.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland



Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

acctingman

If they expand this to other theaters....I'm in

SpaceGameJunkie

Quote from: ArizonaTank on November 04, 2024, 08:27:14 AMBTW, "Achtung Spitfire" and "Over the Reich" board games are still alive and well, with a very active and dedicated community.  "Wings of the Motherland" covering the Eastern Front was published by Clash of Arms a few years back.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85147/wings-of-the-motherland





Oh how delightful. I wish they'd make PC ports of them. I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

Con

Ive put in about 3 hours playing and its a very nice immersive game, does keep me coming back - you can see the expansion potential for different theaters and planes.
That being said the interface of clicking is not intuitive at all and as someone pointed out the gun controls are wonky as hell.  I am spraying and praying and when I run the full replay my plans is being flung around the skies like its being piloted by someone on bath salts.
Still a fun time waster - I have only played the quick battles
 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Con on November 05, 2024, 09:47:45 AM...gun controls are wonky as hell.  I am spraying and praying and when I run the full replay my plans is being flung around the skies like its being piloted by someone on bath salts.


Yep, I am either doing it wrong, or the game needs some improvement. Still, like you, I had fun...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.