GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2025, 08:11:12 AM

Title: Battleship Command
Post by: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2025, 08:11:12 AM
Anybody seen this project?

Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Redwolf on April 16, 2025, 08:48:48 AM
I've always been fascinated by Naval fire control systems and their analog computers. Which worked, unlike airplane bomb sights, eh :)

This will be a good buy for me just for educational purposes.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: bobarossa on April 16, 2025, 01:20:05 PM
Reminds me a little of Task Force 1942 from the dark ages.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Destraex on April 17, 2025, 06:20:39 PM
This looks pretty good. Although as a ww2 surface raider I always think I will feel anachronistic and doomed to failure.

A little like people feel about tanks today.

I'd go out feeling like it was just a matter of time unless I had carrier support.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: CaptainKoloth on April 19, 2025, 06:05:40 PM
Quote from: bobarossa on April 16, 2025, 01:20:05 PMReminds me a little of Task Force 1942 from the dark ages.


I was a lot happier during those dark ages.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: steve58 on May 20, 2026, 04:30:13 PM
Coming to Early Access on June 2.
 
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3367430/Battleship_Command/
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Thomm on May 21, 2026, 02:56:48 AM
My great uncle was a sailor on the Gneisenau (the sister ship of Scharnhorst, but of course you people know that).

He would never talk about his service. Not a single story.

What would he have thought of a game like this?



Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 25, 2026, 01:02:53 PM
Quote from: Thomm on May 21, 2026, 02:56:48 AMMy great uncle was a sailor on the Gneisenau (the sister ship of Scharnhorst, but of course you people know that).

He would never talk about his service. Not a single story.

What would he have thought of a game like this?


That's pretty amazing. I've been playing around with early access press code and it got me interested in the history of the ship. When Scharnhorst was sunk at the Battle of the North Cape, I was stunned to learn that only 36 men survived out of a total crew of 1,968!

In any event, the game has potential and will fill a niche that we haven't seen in quite some time. I think anyone with an interest in the big gun ships of the era will enjoy this, but commanding a 32,000 ton vessel at sea, in my view, is not always what I would describe as exciting. I've only played two tutorial missions on navigation and using crew to attack merchant shipping. I want to play more to get a feel for it.

My first impressions are that this is early. Most of the core systems are there, but some features are definitely missing. For instance, damage control does not seem to be implemented yet, nor is the anti-air director. Some of this is supposed to be addressed before the early access build is released.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Pete Dero on June 02, 2026, 07:35:02 AM
https://store.steampowered.com/app/3367430/Battleship_Command/

Released in early access.


Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: solops on June 02, 2026, 08:29:41 AM
I crave a good surface-ship-only wargame because the giant pterodactyls swiftly eat any airplane/jets/saucers.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: JasonPratt on June 02, 2026, 06:05:40 PM
10% discount for those who already own Task Force Admiral. Not much but worthy!
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: besilarius on June 03, 2026, 11:18:08 AM
Since this is early in development, don't wish to be critical.  It will be interest ing to see how they handle the allied advances in radar, fire control, and stable element.
After the Night Battle of Guadalcanal, it was clear that optical was surpassed. USS North Carolina did a well documented test where she did three continuous turns of 240 degrees each and never lost it's radar lock.
This was not possible with German and Japanese systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AM
A WW2 battleship's firing control (analog) computers are a fascinating topic, especially the Allied ones.  They would compute a ship's course and the course changes to the third derivation.  That would be a nasty surprise to the Japanese who liked to go parabolic curves thinking the US computers would only do constant curves.

Useful website:

https://eugeneleeslover.com/

And this:

(https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81Ru5hyXrwL._SL1500_.jpg)

https://www.amazon.com/Naval-Firepower-Battleship-Gunnery-Dreadnought-ebook/dp/B00KTI0T0E/ref=sr_1_1

This is on Kindle Unlimited, so it might be free for you.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Destraex on June 05, 2026, 04:37:02 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AMA WW2 battleship's firing control (analog) computers are a fascinating topic, especially the Allied ones.  They would compute a ship's course and the course changes to the third derivation.  That would be a nasty surprise to the Japanese who liked to go parabolic curves thinking the US computers would only do constant curves.

Useful website:

https://eugeneleeslover.com/

And this:

(https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/81Ru5hyXrwL._SL1500_.jpg)

https://www.amazon.com/Naval-Firepower-Battleship-Gunnery-Dreadnought-ebook/dp/B00KTI0T0E/ref=sr_1_1

This is on Kindle Unlimited, so it might be free for you.

Sounds like I might have found my next book. I just finished the latest bernard cornwell sharpes book.
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Thomm on June 06, 2026, 02:09:34 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AM...the US computers would only do constant curves.

What is a "constant curve" in your terminology? A straight line? A circle?
Title: Re: Battleship Command
Post by: Redwolf on June 06, 2026, 02:18:20 AM
Quote from: Thomm on June 06, 2026, 02:09:34 AM
Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AM...the US computers would only do constant curves.

What is a "constant curve" in your terminology? A straight line? A circle?

Constant radius.