Main Menu

Battleship Command

Started by Jarhead0331, April 16, 2025, 08:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Anybody seen this project?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Redwolf

I've always been fascinated by Naval fire control systems and their analog computers. Which worked, unlike airplane bomb sights, eh :)

This will be a good buy for me just for educational purposes.

bobarossa

Reminds me a little of Task Force 1942 from the dark ages.

Destraex

This looks pretty good. Although as a ww2 surface raider I always think I will feel anachronistic and doomed to failure.

A little like people feel about tanks today.

I'd go out feeling like it was just a matter of time unless I had carrier support.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

CaptainKoloth

Quote from: bobarossa on April 16, 2025, 01:20:05 PMReminds me a little of Task Force 1942 from the dark ages.


I was a lot happier during those dark ages.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Thomm

My great uncle was a sailor on the Gneisenau (the sister ship of Scharnhorst, but of course you people know that).

He would never talk about his service. Not a single story.

What would he have thought of a game like this?




Jarhead0331

Quote from: Thomm on May 21, 2026, 02:56:48 AMMy great uncle was a sailor on the Gneisenau (the sister ship of Scharnhorst, but of course you people know that).

He would never talk about his service. Not a single story.

What would he have thought of a game like this?


That's pretty amazing. I've been playing around with early access press code and it got me interested in the history of the ship. When Scharnhorst was sunk at the Battle of the North Cape, I was stunned to learn that only 36 men survived out of a total crew of 1,968!

In any event, the game has potential and will fill a niche that we haven't seen in quite some time. I think anyone with an interest in the big gun ships of the era will enjoy this, but commanding a 32,000 ton vessel at sea, in my view, is not always what I would describe as exciting. I've only played two tutorial missions on navigation and using crew to attack merchant shipping. I want to play more to get a feel for it.

My first impressions are that this is early. Most of the core systems are there, but some features are definitely missing. For instance, damage control does not seem to be implemented yet, nor is the anti-air director. Some of this is supposed to be addressed before the early access build is released.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Pete Dero


solops

#9
I crave a good surface-ship-only wargame because the giant pterodactyls swiftly eat any airplane/jets/saucers.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

JasonPratt

10% discount for those who already own Task Force Admiral. Not much but worthy!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

Since this is early in development, don't wish to be critical.  It will be interest ing to see how they handle the allied advances in radar, fire control, and stable element.
After the Night Battle of Guadalcanal, it was clear that optical was surpassed. USS North Carolina did a well documented test where she did three continuous turns of 240 degrees each and never lost it's radar lock.
This was not possible with German and Japanese systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_gun_fire-control_system
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Redwolf

A WW2 battleship's firing control (analog) computers are a fascinating topic, especially the Allied ones.  They would compute a ship's course and the course changes to the third derivation.  That would be a nasty surprise to the Japanese who liked to go parabolic curves thinking the US computers would only do constant curves.

Useful website:

https://eugeneleeslover.com/

And this:



https://www.amazon.com/Naval-Firepower-Battleship-Gunnery-Dreadnought-ebook/dp/B00KTI0T0E/ref=sr_1_1

This is on Kindle Unlimited, so it might be free for you.

Destraex

Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AMA WW2 battleship's firing control (analog) computers are a fascinating topic, especially the Allied ones.  They would compute a ship's course and the course changes to the third derivation.  That would be a nasty surprise to the Japanese who liked to go parabolic curves thinking the US computers would only do constant curves.

Useful website:

https://eugeneleeslover.com/

And this:



https://www.amazon.com/Naval-Firepower-Battleship-Gunnery-Dreadnought-ebook/dp/B00KTI0T0E/ref=sr_1_1

This is on Kindle Unlimited, so it might be free for you.

Sounds like I might have found my next book. I just finished the latest bernard cornwell sharpes book.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Thomm

Quote from: Redwolf on June 04, 2026, 09:07:53 AM...the US computers would only do constant curves.

What is a "constant curve" in your terminology? A straight line? A circle?