GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => Current Events => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2012, 09:58:59 AM

Title: Execution by...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2012, 09:58:59 AM
...mortar round?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9630509/North-Korean-army-minister-executed-with-mortar-round.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9630509/North-Korean-army-minister-executed-with-mortar-round.html)

Quote
North Korean army minister 'executed with mortar round'
A North Korean army minister was executed with a mortar round for reportedly drinking and carousing during the official mourning period after Kim Jong-il's death.

Kim Chol, vice minister of the army, was taken into custody earlier this year on the orders of Kim Jong-un, who assumed the leadership after the death of his father in December.

On the orders of Kim Jong-un to leave "no trace of him behind, down to his hair," according to South Korean media, Kim Chol was forced to stand on a spot that had been zeroed in for a mortar round and "obliterated."

The execution of Kim Chol is just one example of a purge of members of the North Korean military or party who threatened the fledgling regime of Kim Jong-un.

So far this year, 14 senior officials have fallen victim to the purges, according to intelligence data provided to Yoon Sang-hyun, a member of the South Korean Foreign Affairs, Trade and Unification Committee.

Those that have fallen from favour include Ri Yong-ho, the head of the army and Ri Kwang-gon, the governor of the North Korean central bank.



Analysts suggest that Mr Kim, who took over as head of state after the death of his father late last year, is acting to consolidate his own power base and deter any criticism of his youthfulness and inexperience. Mr Kim is believed to be either 28 or 29.

"When Kim Jong-un became North Korean leader following the mourning period for his father in late December, high-ranking military officers started disappearing," a source told the Chosun Ilbo newspaper. "From information compiled over the last month, we have concluded that dozens of military officers were purged."

It also appears that Mr Kim ordered his loyal officials to use the excuse of misbehaviour during the mourning period for his father to remove any potential opponents.

Other officials have been executed by firing squads, including Ryu Kyong, a senior intelligence expert.

Since being elevated to second-in-command of the nation by his father in September 2010, Kim has reportedly been behind the dismissal of at least 31 senior officials.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Centurion40 on October 26, 2012, 10:02:57 AM
Geeze!  But ya gotta give them points for style.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 26, 2012, 11:08:32 AM
North Korea has a central bank? That infers they have money of some kind.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 26, 2012, 01:00:09 PM
^Monopoly, Dude.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: besilarius on October 26, 2012, 01:07:04 PM
This sounds so 1930s Russia.
When Joe Stalin and his goon Beria burned the officer corps because they might know more than the two of them.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: W8taminute on October 26, 2012, 02:11:45 PM
Kim Jong-un's orders to leave "no trace of him behind, down to his hair," remind me of Desslok of Gamilon's order to "erase that man", seen in the first episode of Star Blazers.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanboy.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2009%2F04%2Fleader-desslok.jpg&hash=f2f78483125f0281b33568644077ce01ce0618f5)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 26, 2012, 02:13:23 PM
Do we know what calibre mortar is was?

120mm should do the job, but, is it cost effective?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Centurion40 on October 26, 2012, 02:33:59 PM
I know that I sound like a broken record, but a wood chipper pointed at the ocean should be the preferred way to go.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: LongBlade on October 26, 2012, 05:02:47 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 26, 2012, 02:13:23 PM
Do we know what calibre mortar is was?

120mm should do the job, but, is it cost effective?

Bob The Practical Executioner.

Or maybe Bob The Executioner Exchequer? Bob The Exchequer Executioner?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 26, 2012, 05:05:04 PM
Hey, things a little tight right now - why waste a 120mm if a 60mm does the job!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: TheCommandTent on October 26, 2012, 06:54:03 PM
Man that sounds like a bad way to go.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 26, 2012, 07:21:23 PM
After getting torn in half you wouldn't feel a thing.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bayonetbrant on October 26, 2012, 07:34:18 PM
"All your face are belong to us"
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: besilarius on October 27, 2012, 08:37:05 AM
Being an absolute autocracy, I wonder if North Korea has a hereditary executioner?
In France, the ancien regime had the Sanson family, who were so good at their craft, that the REvolution quickly hired them to perform for the people.
It's funny, in England they have authorised suppliers to the Queen, who make marmalade, or hats, or ale.  They can all call attention to this by labelling, "Special supplier to HR the Queen.
In France, they had a family of Royal Executioner.
NOt to say that there weren't some in England, itjust wasn't a family business.  (Sounds like a branch of the Mafia.)
IN fact, you may have heard that some cranesused to lift heavy loads are called derricks?
One of Elizabeth I's hangmen was named Derick.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles-Henri_Sanson
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2012, 10:17:43 AM
^That is really interesting. Do the UK or France have any areas that still the death penalty?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 27, 2012, 10:22:21 AM
Not in the UK as far as I know - although not sure if treason may be an exception.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 27, 2012, 10:35:58 AM
That's what I thought, for the UK at least. Thought the death penalty was eliminated in most of Western Europe now too.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2012, 12:09:31 AM
in England I thought it was death by banishment to Birmingham.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2012, 12:40:07 AM
I've always thought it was Leeds.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 28, 2012, 06:39:30 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2012, 12:09:31 AM
in England I thought it was death by banishment to Birmingham.

Ugh! - Don't go there. That's a fate worse'n death.

Leeds is even worse IMHO. I go to Leeds now and again for meetings and I detest the place :-((
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 28, 2012, 10:02:40 AM
Ah see I knew it!! I've only been to the UK once and the one Brit friend I have said 'whatever you do stay far away from Leeds.'
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 28, 2012, 10:05:22 AM
lol- Sage advice indeed!

Whaddya mean - only one Brit fiend, er, friend - you got me, geek, huw, JD, the puss and a few others :-)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 28, 2012, 10:22:12 AM
Quote from: Gusington on October 28, 2012, 12:40:07 AM
I've always thought it was Leeds.

Oi!!!!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 28, 2012, 10:22:47 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 28, 2012, 06:39:30 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2012, 12:09:31 AM
in England I thought it was death by banishment to Birmingham.

Ugh! - Don't go there. That's a fate worse'n death.

Leeds is even worse IMHO. I go to Leeds now and again for meetings and I detest the place :-((

and you!!!!!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 28, 2012, 10:30:52 AM
Ah, but geek - remember, I'm a native Brummie, so I'm allowed to say that. Anyway, where you live is too posh to be classed as Birmingham :-))

Hang about - you're not gonna tell me you're from Leeds originally.........
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 28, 2012, 11:35:09 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 28, 2012, 10:30:52 AM
Ah, but geek - remember, I'm a native Brummie, so I'm allowed to say that. Anyway, where you live is too posh to be classed as Birmingham :-))

Hang about - you're not gonna tell me you're from Leeds originally.........

I am! My accent and recent talk of pies didn't give it away?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 10:07:27 AM
My bad, sorry. I meant one Brit friend who I have actually met in person. You guys would love him. He is from Manchester and joined the IDF (he's jewish) as a medic about 15 years ago. While on duty he met his wife on a bus in Tel Aviv. A true Brit-Judaic romance! He has some other good stories about his service too :)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Windigo on October 29, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
Help a colonial out... wtf is wrong with Leeds?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Staggerwing on October 29, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
Quote from: Windigo on October 29, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
Help a colonial out... wtf is wrong with Leeds?

From what I've heard Leeds is sort of like Britain's version of inner Detroit.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Martok on October 29, 2012, 01:50:19 PM
^  Yikes.  That's bad. 

Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 02:35:40 PM
Well, Oh f*ck me sideways!

Geek, you don't sound like you come from Leeds, some of that posh West Mids accent musta rubbed off on ya :-)

Actually, there are worse places than Leeds, and it does have that wonderful museum, Leeds Armouries, which is a great place.
http://www.royalarmouries.org/home

Maybe my judgement was clouded by my last visit there, where I got totally lost in the one way system (they were doing all that inner city building work and new motorway links). I was trying to get to our office there, which is just near the footy stadium - as a result, I was late for a meeting.

Anyway, rapidly changing the subject - who's on L4D2 tonight :P
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on October 29, 2012, 03:02:05 PM
A Brummie goes to Ground Zero in New York one year after 9/11. Whilst there, he sees a fireman paying his respects. The Brummie says to him, "There were a lot of people that were very proud of what you guys did."

"Thanks, buddy," the fireman replies.
"You lot were bloody brave," the Brummie says.
"Thanks. Where are you from anyhow?" the fireman asks.
"Birmingham," he replies.
"Birmingham? What state's that in?" asks the fireman.

The Brummie looks around and replies, "About the same as this really..."



I was walking along the road earlier and suddenly this horrid stench hit me. I presumed I'd stepped in dog shit so I looked at my shoes, but I couldn't see any. I carried on walking, and the smell got stronger and stronger. I just couldn't figure out why.

Then I realised what I'd stepped in.

Birmingham.




After 2 years of training with the Army, I'm off to Afghanistan to fight in the war.

Bombs dropping, constant gunfire and a bunch of hostile Muslims and Arabs in my sight...

...as I leave Birmingham International Airport.



(Gran was from Shropshire.  I can't help myself.)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 03:36:02 PM
lol - I like it :-)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 29, 2012, 03:52:55 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 29, 2012, 01:08:32 PM
Quote from: Windigo on October 29, 2012, 12:48:25 PM
Help a colonial out... wtf is wrong with Leeds?

From what I've heard Leeds is sort of like Britain's version of inner Detroit.

Cheeky c**t!!!!!  ;)

The one person who said dont go to Leeds is from Manachester, if you asked one from Leeds he'd say dont go to Manchester - theres an enormous rivalry between the two cities, sat, as they are on either side of the Pennines.

Ill say this:-

3 vicars are discussing various religious matters, and one from the South complains his Bishop wont let him phone god, says its too expensive and long distance, the vicar from Manchester nods and says exactly the same, its just the same with his Bishop, the vicar from Leeds snorts, tells them both he speaks to God all the time on the phone, how is the possible they both ask..............

Because from Leeds my vicary friends, its a local rate call


Aythangyou, im here all week, shortly will be pictures of the beauty of Leeds, extending all the way up to Newcastle when Bob can post more rolling loveliness - i know, i know its just deserts and casinos and pointy buildings for you 'Mericans - proper stuff over here it is
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 04:01:20 PM
You got that right - we have a similar thing between Newcastle and Sunderland (as geek will know from spending some time here)

Geek - are you going to invest in L4D4 so we can put paid to Zeke?
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 29, 2012, 04:20:15 PM
theres a distinctly high possibility of that Bob - at the moment im surrounded by Orthapaedic Surgeons (no im not in an operating theatre) once ive finished up here and back home - youre on
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 04:25:11 PM
You're a star!

.....I'm not even gonna ask why your surrounded with orthapaedic surgeons. Is it a seige of some sort and they're running round in a cantabrian circle, waving stethoscopes at you.........
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 29, 2012, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 04:25:11 PM
You're a star!

.....I'm not even gonna ask why your surrounded with orthapaedic surgeons. Is it a seige of some sort and they're running round in a cantabrian circle, waving stethoscopes at you.........

its their national conference!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 04:38:17 PM
You Brits are so...cheeky. Almost makes me feel better about the ruins of New York State's cities. If you're ever over here and someone says 'hey let's go to Newburgh to buy crack,'...don't.
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 04:41:20 PM
Did you hear that Geek? You're cheeky bugger - Gus said so, and he knows what he's talking about :-)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Never used that word before in my life. Does it show ;)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: undercovergeek on October 29, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Never used that word before in my life. Does it show ;)

insulted in me own parlance!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 05:17:54 PM
Cheeky sounds so innocent to us Yankees :)
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 05:44:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 29, 2012, 04:57:59 PM
Quote from: Gusington on October 29, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
Never used that word before in my life. Does it show ;)

insulted in me own parlance!

you should get out more....
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Centurion40 on October 30, 2012, 11:35:08 AM
Quote from: bob48 on October 29, 2012, 02:35:40 PM

Actually, there are worse places than Leeds, and it does have that wonderful museum, Leeds Armouries, which is a great place.
http://www.royalarmouries.org/home


Sayyy... I've been to the one in Louisville!  Who knew??!!
Title: Re: Execution by...
Post by: Seytan on November 01, 2012, 12:14:16 PM
I saw a video on You Tube regarding something like this. A Afghan Taliban executed some official with a recoilless rifle. All you saw was a big puff of smoke and not much else after it was done. Im guessing he was blown to pieces.