Things just got interesting again in Egypt.
QuoteEgyptian President Mohammed Morsi left the presidential palace Tuesday as violence erupted between police and at least 100,000 protesters gathered in Cairo.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/04/egypt-increases-security-ahead-opposition-march/
I heard some interesting perspective on this last night.
For the first time in 3000 years a leader was elected through a democratic process in Egypt. And what did he do? He seized dictatorial powers. Not exactly the legacy I'd want left behind.
Where is their '"Tea Party"?
Seriously get over your incessent need to bash conservatives and the TEA party at every turn. The silly part about your obsession is that you are a Canadian.
Who is in charge over there?
Morsi is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. Which is the political/spiritual foundation that was used to shape and form Al Queda's philosophy. You still have some of the Mubarak leadership in power primarily in the military and the judicial branch. The unrest in Egypt is far from over.
Quote from: Bison on December 04, 2012, 09:29:11 PM
Morsi is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood. Which is the political/spiritual foundation that was used to shape and form Al Queda's philosophy. You still have some of the Mubarak leadership in power primarily in the military and the judicial branch. The unrest in Egypt is far from over.
+1
This could get ugly.
The military used to hold the reins there, but I heard a report that Morsi tried to clean house.
Their military has had a lot of training from the US. We probably have some decent influence with it. But in a showdown between the people and the leadership, the military chose the people instead of Mubarak. *Might* be the same thing happening here, but it's far from clear from what I'm reading.
I'm not sure if they chose the people so much as perhaps they banked that they could replace the "leadership" and retain control.
OK so if Morsi, representing the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt...is out...then...that's good for the West, eh?
Quote from: Gusington on December 04, 2012, 10:19:09 PM
OK so if Morsi, representing the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt...is out...then...that's good for the West, eh?
The problem in the entire mid-east is that the dictators cracked down on all dissent. The only semblance of organization are the religious institutions and most of them are radicalized.
Do the math.
No matter how many more people would rather be moderate, only the radicals have an infrastructure to take advantage of a vacuum of power.
On the other hand, Morsi is religiously radical. So if there's a coup, someone more amenable to the population overall (thus more religiously moderate and less polarizing) might come into power.
(I recall hearing he's returned to the palace, though, right?)
Quote from: JasonPratt on December 05, 2012, 03:37:55 PM
(I recall hearing he's returned to the palace, though, right?)
Yes, but crap fired back up after his return.
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/05/morsi-reportedly-returns-to-presidential-palace-after-protests-against-his/
Remember - this is only Wednesday. We've got Friday coming and things could really get crazy.
Every time I see this thread topic I think it says, "Morrissey," of The Smiths.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 05, 2012, 04:53:26 PM
Every time I see this thread topic I think it says, "Morrissey," of The Smiths.
If we're lucky Morsi will step down and form a band.
Quote from: LongBlade on December 05, 2012, 04:56:46 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 05, 2012, 04:53:26 PM
Every time I see this thread topic I think it says, "Morrissey," of The Smiths.
If we're lucky Morsi will step down and form a band.
Actually, I think if HE is lucky, he will step down and form a band.
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 05, 2012, 05:37:40 PM
Actually, I think if HE is lucky, he will step down and form a band.
LOL
Tru dat!
morrisey is a frikin nutcase.
True. But he does have one of the great 80s songs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUMh8GQnDW8
And that could actually fit well with Morsi's current problem.
oh dont get me wrong.
love the music, cant stand the performer.
He's "eccentric." Rich and crazy.
hes a douchebag fag.
and by that I mean that yes hes gay and I dont care about that.
but he's a douchebag fag which is something different.
I hear you. I never dug him or his fans. They were both very dramatic and falsely deep.
Looks like Morsi has called in the army to help clear out the protestors at the palace
QuoteThe Egyptian army deployed tanks and gave both supporters and opponents of Mohammed Morsi a deadline to leave the area outside the presidential palace Thursday following fierce street battles that left five people dead and more than 600 injured in the worst outbreak of violence between the two sides since the Islamist leader's election.
The intensity of the overnight violence, with Morsi's Islamist backers and largely secular protesters lobbing firebombs and rocks at each other, signaled a possible turning point in the 2-week-old crisis over the president's assumption of near-absolute powers and the hurried adoption of a draft constitution.
Opposition activists defiantly called for another protest outside the palace later Thursday, raising the specter of more bloodshed as neither side showed willingness to back down.
But the army's Republican Guard, an elite unit assigned to protect the president and his palaces, gave protesters on both sides until 3 p.m. to clear the vicinity, according to an official statement. The statement also announced a ban on protests outside any of the nation's presidential palaces.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/05/egypt-interior-ministry-clashes-between-president-supporters-opponents-kill-at/?test=latestnews#ixzz2EHH66NPO
Calling in the army in hese places always works out for the best, like in Tianamen Square. Let's hope that Syria doesn't launch a chemical attack at the same time in Syria. Those two things at once may speed up the Mayans 12/21 party.
sooooo
where are the M1's we sold them?
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg543.imageshack.us%2Fimg543%2F9929%2Fca172.jpg&hash=26869c33a8be2b53506ea4faf1c9d59aef19d7da)
Soldiers carry barbed wire to be installed around the presidential palace area after military tanks were deployed to stop clashes between supporters and opponents of Egyptian President Mohamed Mursi, in Cairo December 6, 2012. Egypt's Republican Guard restored order around the presidential palace on Thursday after fierce overnight clashes killed seven people, but passions ran high in a struggle over the country's future. *******/Asmaa Waguih
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg521.imageshack.us%2Fimg521%2F2536%2Fca169.jpg&hash=1227109e09bcf54e4025d9fda5ec7aa1a32405d7)
Supporters of the Muslim Brotherhood stand near tanks that were just deployed outside the Egyptian presidential palace in Cairo December 6, 2012. At least three tanks are deployed outside the palace on Thursday in a street where supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Mursi had been clashing into the early hours of the morning, a ******* witness said. *******/Asmaa Waguih
Are they sponsored by Pepsi?
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 07, 2012, 10:26:11 PM
Are they sponsored by Pepsi?
snicker ;D
And the other side is sponsored by coke
Wait, you mean they didn't want a dictator when they ousted that other dictator?
Anyone else wondering what this means about the Israeli cease-fire that Egypt helped broker?
the cease fire will last until hamas has restocked their rockets and either they or other local powers need another distraction.
HA I'm waiting for the entry of the 1st Egyptian Mountain Dew Paratrooper Brigade.
And here I thought that Morsi was "The son and the heir..." but it turns out that he is just human and he needs to be loved after all.
Quote from: son_of_montfort on December 08, 2012, 08:36:49 PM
And here I thought that Morsi was "The son and the heir..." but it turns out that he is just human and he needs to be loved after all.
Well, he's not shy but what he's doing is thought by many to be criminally vulgar.
^^^ what you did there
I saw it.
In a surprise move Jones Soda has sponsored 20 more F-16s in Egypt. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/10/us-sending-20-more-f-16s-to-egypt-despite-turmoil-in-cairo/
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FGrogHeads%2FJONES-SODA.gif&hash=ad7fbe95b01671617e0e339f2727d49272c817eb)
I had no idea that Egypt already had a fleet of 200-plus F-16s.
Are you afraid now?
not with the IAF next door. 8)
with all those M1's they have it would be interesting to see how they measure up to Merkavas.
however for that to happen the world going to have much bigger issues to deal with.
Quote from: LongBlade on December 10, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
In a surprise move Jones Soda has sponsored 20 more F-16s in Egypt. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/10/us-sending-20-more-f-16s-to-egypt-despite-turmoil-in-cairo/
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1081.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fj349%2Flongblade%2FGrogHeads%2FJONES-SODA.gif&hash=ad7fbe95b01671617e0e339f2727d49272c817eb)
...The hell?! :o
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1108.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fh412%2FRotarrin%2FFunny%2FDouble_Facepalm.jpg&hash=cb42c41c48494f709763f0dc1a2c2118a161a29e)
Quote from: Martok on December 11, 2012, 05:23:53 AM
...The hell?! :o
Heh.
Comes from this post and the one immediately following: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3858.msg87630#msg87630 ;)
Quote from: LongBlade on December 10, 2012, 05:07:21 PM
In a surprise move Jones Soda has sponsored 20 more F-16s in Egypt. http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/12/10/us-sending-20-more-f-16s-to-egypt-despite-turmoil-in-cairo/
Wait so we are just giving the planes to these wack jobs and writing it off as foreign aid? :o What moron is approving this kind of stuff, oh wait those idiots we keep electing are....... >:(
Quote from: TheCommandTent on December 11, 2012, 08:26:11 AM
Wait so we are just giving the planes to these wack jobs and writing it off as foreign aid? :o What moron is approving this kind of stuff, oh wait those idiots we keep electing are....... >:(
There is probably a method to this madness.
The Egyptian military has been the beneficiary of US aid for about three decades. We've trained it extensively.
They hold the reins of power and they are the source of what stability there is in the country. Giving them 20 new planes to ensure that there is a defacto reasonably US and Israel friendly military stance is a cheap price.
I thought I read somewhere that Morsi did some house cleaning in the military, but I don't know how extensive it was. Chances are that institution as a whole is top to bottom US-influenced. Hopefully those lessons have stamina.
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 07:35:53 AM
Quote from: Martok on December 11, 2012, 05:23:53 AM
...The hell?! :o
Heh.
Comes from this post and the one immediately following: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3858.msg87630#msg87630 ;)
Actually, I understood the "Jones Soda" reference right away (vis-a-vis
Starfury's comment in that earlier post). It was the story itself that had me agog.
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 08:49:00 AM
There is probably a method to this madness.
The Egyptian military has been the beneficiary of US aid for about three decades. We've trained it extensively.
They hold the reins of power and they are the source of what stability there is in the country. Giving them 20 new planes to ensure that there is a defacto reasonably US and Israel friendly military stance is a cheap price.
I thought I read somewhere that Morsi did some house cleaning in the military, but I don't know how extensive it was. Chances are that institution as a whole is top to bottom US-influenced. Hopefully those lessons have stamina.
That's the only thing I could think of either. I sure hope it pans out for us.
Quote from: Martok on December 11, 2012, 09:26:04 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 07:35:53 AM
Quote from: Martok on December 11, 2012, 05:23:53 AM
...The hell?! :o
Heh.
Comes from this post and the one immediately following: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=3858.msg87630#msg87630 ;)
Actually, I understood the "Jones Soda" reference right away (vis-a-vis Starfury's comment in that earlier post). It was the story itself that had me agog.
Quote from: LongBlade on December 11, 2012, 08:49:00 AM
There is probably a method to this madness.
The Egyptian military has been the beneficiary of US aid for about three decades. We've trained it extensively.
They hold the reins of power and they are the source of what stability there is in the country. Giving them 20 new planes to ensure that there is a defacto reasonably US and Israel friendly military stance is a cheap price.
I thought I read somewhere that Morsi did some house cleaning in the military, but I don't know how extensive it was. Chances are that institution as a whole is top to bottom US-influenced. Hopefully those lessons have stamina.
That's the only thing I could think of either. I sure hope it pans out for us.
I wonder what the situation is on spares? IIRC Iran during the Iran-Iraq war had a lot of US and UK kit but lack of spares meant that a lot of kit was either not operational or ended up cannibalised to make spares. Bottonline, is that without spares the hardware numbers don't mean so much over time.
Now you'll tell me that the Egyptian Army warehouses are brimming...... :o
I dont know about brimming but theyre certainly not empty.
weve been running Bright Star for 2 decades and since we use the same kit it makes sense they have it in stock.
LB an analyst I know suggested that Morsi got rid of the Army leadership, which was corrupt, and replaced them all.
Unfortunately for him, the replacements are just as corrupt and in our pockets.
Quote from: besilarius on December 11, 2012, 07:08:09 PM
LB an analyst I know suggested that Morsi got rid of the Army leadership, which was corrupt, and replaced them all.
Unfortunately for him, the replacements are just as corrupt and in our pockets.
Well, then we're back in business, aren't we?
Wouldn't surprise me. Figure since the Peace Treaty was signed we've been educating the Egyptian military. That being the case, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone above the rank of buck private who hasn't been cycled through us, profiled, and paid off to keep the peace.
fyi...
the F-16s were selling them are Block 20's which are pretty much at the end of their USAF service life.
scratch that... we're selling them 20 Block 52's......
I guess they legalized pot at the Pentagon.