GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on March 15, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

Title: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on March 15, 2013, 09:48:18 AM
The 2 new scenarios sound interesting...The World Congress sound a little too UN-ish though...

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20130315005090/en/2K-Announces-Sid-Meier's-Civilization®-Brave-World

Quote
New Civilizations, Units and Buildings: The expansion features nine new civilizations, each with unique traits, units, buildings and all-new leaders, including Casimir III of Poland.

• New Culture Victory: Spread your culture across the globe, dominating all other cultures. Create masterpieces with Great Artists, Writers, and Musicians that are placed in key buildings across your empire, like Museums, Opera Houses and even the Great Library. Use Archaeologists to investigate sites of ancient battles and city ruins for priceless cultural artifacts. Become the first civilization with a majority influence in all other civilizations to achieve a Culture Victory, becoming the envy of the world.

• World Congress: The importance of diplomacy is intensified and city-state alliances are more important than ever. Change the diplomatic landscape through a new World Congress that votes on critical issues like implementing trade sanctions against rogue nations, limiting resource usage, designating host cities for the World Games and the use of nuclear weapons. Game-changing resolutions, vote trading, intrigue, and a new lead into the Diplomatic Victory ensures that the end of the game will be more dynamic than ever before.

• International Trade Routes: Build your cities into hubs of international trade by land and sea, creating great wealth and prosperity for your people, while also spreading religion, cultural influence, and science. The number of trade routes increases through the advancement of economics and technologies, the creation of wonders and the unique abilities of your civilization. Will you connect to a closer city for a lower payoff and a safer route, choose a longer route with more risk for the bigger payoff, or perhaps point your trade route inward, sending vitally important food and production to the far corners of your own empire?

• New Wonders: Eight new Wonders are introduced, including the Parthenon, Broadway, the Uffizi, and more.

• New Game Scenarios: Two new scenarios let gamers fight the "War Between the States" and embark on the epic Scramble for Africa. Fight the American Civil War from either the Union or Confederate side, as you focus on the critical action in the Eastern theatre of operations between the capital cities of Richmond and Washington. In "Scramble for Africa", the great colonial powers of the world are racing to explore the Dark Continent and extend their reach into its interior. Search for great natural wonders in the heart of Africa, as you explore a dynamically-generated continent each time you play.

Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on March 15, 2013, 10:38:15 AM
{drool}
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on March 15, 2013, 10:38:42 AM
Yeah looks good!  8)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2013, 11:17:10 AM
OMG!!!! Casimir III of Poland!!!!! Its a lifelong dream come true!!!!! 
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Steelgrave on March 15, 2013, 11:22:19 AM
Looks interesting. Huge Civ fan that I am, I'm not jumping up and down yet because of the issues they've had with diplomacy, which this DLC seems to focus on. Took them awhile to patch it in Civ V to the point that everyone wasn't ganging up on the only Human player, but it seems to work fine now. So hopefully this DLC will start off running.

New civs always give me that Chris Matthew's-like tingle up my leg though. The more civs the better!!! Cool.

Some of the new scenarios and rule changes (international trade routes, Civil War, Polish civ) are already available on the Steam workshop via player created mods, although I'm certain that they will be tweaked and polished for this new DLC. Civ has a strong history of taking a good player created mod, smoothing it over and incorporating it into a later update/DLC. They utilize the creativity of their fan base in a way that very few other games manage, which is good for the company and good for the fans  8)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Bison on March 15, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
How the hell is Broadway considered a wonder of the world?  Good grief. 

Internation trade routes is a sweet concept.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2013, 12:42:15 PM
Quote from: Bison on March 15, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
How the hell is Broadway considered a wonder of the world?  Good grief. 

Not for nothing, but 42nd Street and Broadway NEVER gets old, no matter how many times I'm there.  To look up and see those lights...it really is wondrous.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on March 15, 2013, 12:49:25 PM
Scramble for Africa campaign sounds awesome. I like my Civ V more focused like that, rather than a huge campaign from spears to nukes.

And now that I figured out what I was doing wrong with the mods, well...Civ V may be in my Top 5 games list.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: WallysWorld on March 15, 2013, 01:08:37 PM
I agree. The scramble for Africa scenario sounds good.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bbmike on March 15, 2013, 03:49:35 PM
Good! Now maybe they will finally add diplomacy back to Civilization!
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: TheCommandTent on March 15, 2013, 06:38:19 PM
Excellent news.  Looking forward to picking this one up.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: undercovergeek on March 15, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 15, 2013, 12:49:25 PM
Scramble for Africa campaign sounds awesome. I like my Civ V more focused like that, rather than a huge campaign from spears to nukes.

And now that I figured out what I was doing wrong with the mods, well...Civ V may be in my Top 5 games list.

what were you doing wrong with the mods?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on March 15, 2013, 09:21:25 PM
I didn't load my save games through the mod menu option after the original set-up...so the mod wasn't active in subsequent games :/
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on April 12, 2013, 03:12:08 PM
...a first look write up from RPS (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/12/impressions-civ-v-brave-new-world/#more-149355).  Release date in July 9 (USA) / July 12 (everywhere else).  Still no news on who the new civs are (other than than the previously announced Casimir III of Poland, Pedro II of Brazil and Ashurbanipal of Assyria).

...and a preview from Escapist (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10286-Civilization-V-Brave-New-World-Preview-Shaka-Returns).  New civs mentioned Shaka of the Zulu and Portugal's Maria I.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Con on April 12, 2013, 03:22:20 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2013, 12:42:15 PM
Quote from: Bison on March 15, 2013, 11:29:34 AM
How the hell is Broadway considered a wonder of the world?  Good grief. 

Not for nothing, but 42nd Street and Broadway NEVER gets old, no matter how many times I'm there.  To look up and see those lights...it really is wondrous.
Isn't 42 and Broadway the corner where all the trannys hang out?   :D

Con

Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: eyebiter on April 13, 2013, 01:57:56 PM
Any chance of larger maps?. Or do we have to wait for Civilization 6?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: W8taminute on April 13, 2013, 05:12:04 PM
Looks like a pretty good DLC for CiV.  I might get it but the title of this expansion is really depressing me. 
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: MetalDog on April 13, 2013, 06:20:00 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on April 13, 2013, 05:12:04 PM
Looks like a pretty good DLC for CiV.  I might get it but the title of this expansion is really depressing me.

Take a Soma holiday then ;)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: W8taminute on April 14, 2013, 11:15:33 AM
^LOL.  That's what I was afraid someone was going to suggest. 
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Staggerwing on April 14, 2013, 01:23:46 PM
If that doesn't do it then you could head on down to the Feely Cinema.  :D
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: W8taminute on April 14, 2013, 05:42:17 PM
^Another excellent suggestion.  Don't know which way to go now.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on June 28, 2013, 04:53:03 PM
...launch trailer was released...early apparently.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/28/civilization-v-brave-new-worlds-launch-trailer-shows-up-early-and-were-ok-with-that/
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Martok on June 28, 2013, 10:53:24 PM
Martin Sheen, Keith David...I find it very cool the people they get to narrate these. 

Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 09:38:37 AM
Its out.  Something for my weekend playlist....
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 09:48:25 AM
I am almost a bit civved out but want to get it as well. Would be cool if it went on sale but I'm not holding my breath.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 09, 2013, 10:22:38 AM
Get it Gus! Huge changes to play style.

Played a bit this morning before work. Shoshone pathfinder scouts rock!
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: son_of_montfort on July 09, 2013, 10:25:38 AM
So... I... um... might have played this to 4:00 am last night. So far, so good, but I was getting my butt handed to me on Prince level by the AI. In one start, as Harun al-Rashid (I wanted to benefit from spreading religion and trade routes), I started strong but then my next-door-neighbor Portugal managed to convert all of my cities to their religion, even my holy city. That tanked both my happiness and my treasury, as my religion offered bonuses to both.

My second start was Byzantium, and I managed to get a very early religion foundation (easy to do with Theodora). But the Babylonians were parked right next to me and founded Akkad in my territory. So I went to war and took Akkad, then patched things up in peace. The happiness hit began to tank my economy and so my research foundered. The caravans did not help.

So it seems like they have made some stark economy changes under the hood.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
You guys think it's worth the hefty price?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Yskonyn on July 09, 2013, 12:56:49 PM
You lucky b'tards! It doesn't unlock until the 12th for us here...
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
You guys think it's worth the hefty price?

Try using voucher code GMG20-F202F-UI40F at Greenmangaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/?emst=6o9fP29x6F_159642_138862_252).

It should knock off 20%, plus GMG is giving $4 cash back or $6 GMG credit, so it should cost you about ~$20, less if you count the $4 cash back or $6 credit...

I used a 20% off code for the pre-order a month or so ago and it worked just fine (wish they'd had the $4 cash back or $6 credit deal then).  Got my Steam code this morning and it worked fine.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 02:10:10 PM
I will definitely do that when I get home...tried the voucher at GMG yesterday for Rising Storm and it was the firsf game it did not work for.

That begs the question...is it worth 20.00?

Are there new units included for existing civs?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:25:47 PM
^...lots of new units (http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html#new_units).  Some are unique to the new civs, some are available to all.  There is even an Xcom Squad (http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html#xcom) :D

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html

Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Steelgrave on July 09, 2013, 02:27:08 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:25:47 PM
^...lots of new units (http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civ5_bravenewworld.html#new_units).  Some are unique to the new civs, some are available to all.  There is even an Xcom Squad :D

AIHEEEEE!!!!  An XCom squad! I'm having a Civ nerdgasm!
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: tgb on July 09, 2013, 02:28:51 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
You guys think it's worth the hefty price?

Try using voucher code GMG20-F202F-UI40F at Greenmangaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/?emst=6o9fP29x6F_159642_138862_252).

It should knock off 20%, plus GMG is giving $4 cash back or $6 GMG credit, so it should cost you about ~$20, less if you count the $4 cash back or $6 credit...

I used a 20% off code for the pre-order a month or so ago and it worked just fine (wish they'd had the $4 cash back or $6 credit deal then).  Got my Steam code this morning and it worked fine.

I get a message that says "unable to use the voucher".
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:36:18 PM
^ Well that bites, sorry for the mis-info.  Maybe because it just released today.  Odd though that I could use a 20% voucher on a pre-order. :-\
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 05:08:31 PM
Yeah I just tried it and also could not use it...going to wait and see if it becomes part of the Steam sale.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 09, 2013, 06:06:48 PM
^same here. I got it fer about $20 using the GMG voucher.

Not very much money fer the amount of new content.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 06:18:43 PM
The voucher worked for you?? And you didn't preorder?

To be honest the feature I cannot walk away from is the Scramble for Africa scenario...yummy.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 09, 2013, 06:41:15 PM
I'm trying to get it purchased right now.  Just got in from my drinks w/ the city council guy that pushed through my traffic idea.  Fascinating dude - turns out we know about 10-12 of the same people from the military, including my brother's godfather, who has known me since I was about 3 years old.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 07:06:24 PM
What do you mean 'get it purchased?' Isn't it just click...done?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 09, 2013, 07:58:28 PM
fresh pics on the front page!
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 09, 2013, 07:58:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 07:06:24 PM
What do you mean 'get it purchased?' Isn't it just click...done?

I had to update my credit card info
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 08:29:47 PM
I read on Gamestop or IGN that Brave New World disables some features from Gods and Kings and the base game. Can anyone verify? I don't want to lose DLC or scenarios.

If that is not true I am going to buy ASAP.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bbmike on July 09, 2013, 08:35:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 08:29:47 PM
I read on Gamestop or IGN that Brave New World disables some features from Gods and Kings and the base game. Can anyone verify? I don't want to lose DLC or scenarios.

If that is not true I am going to buy ASAP.

I haven't heard that or noticed any disabled features. It does change the game. I did read that Brave New World doesn't include some features from Gods and Kings.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 08:42:18 PM
^What do you mean?

I am a hair away from pulling the trigger, even for the high price. It just looks too good and the scenarios (Scramble for Africa, American Civil War) are right in my wheelhouse.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Yskonyn on July 10, 2013, 01:39:40 AM
From what I gather the new expansion alters some aspects of the game which makes a few existing features obsolete, but nowhere do I read that it removes this content and as a result simplifies the game.
If anything it expands the game, especially mid and end game, tremendously.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 10, 2013, 05:20:20 AM
^ What he said.

This expansion is kicking my ass. Now, I'm not a power player of CiV. I like to play, a lot according to Steam >900 hours, but I always play at Prince level. and win pretty consistently
Now I'm getting creamed. The barbs are like if you have set Raging Barbs!! They're everywhere and are very aggressive..... except it seems against settlers and workers...bug?
They will actively attack any city within reach now. They get mounted units! ACK!

The AI seems to aggressively use the new mechanics that I'm still trying t figure out. Haven't been in any wars yet so not sure if they have improved that....

Great fun. Not expensive for $20.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2013, 06:15:45 AM
one thing I just tried for the first time last night...

There are a bunch of cool new things in the new civs I wanted to try, like the Shoshone Pathfinder, or the Merchant of Venus.  So I created a 4-player hot-seat game with 6-7 AI players in it, and played 4 different civs at once :)

I had the French, Indonesians, Shoshone, and Venice going at once, and only 2 of them (France / Indonesia) were that close together.  Funny thing is, even once I figured out how close they were, and where they were running into each other, and even trying to run them into each other here and there, it still took some doing because of all the space there was to move around on the map out there.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2013, 06:18:36 AM
oh, and yesterday's Tuesday Screenshot was a set of screenshots from those first games after I got BNW installed.  I was adding to it well into the evening while I was playing and watching the US Gold Cup game. (As an aside, can we not schedule late kickoff West Coast games on weeknights?!)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 10, 2013, 08:00:34 AM
OK, if the voucher code isn't working at Greenmangaming, here are a couple sites that have BNW on sale:

$23.99 (after using using code GFDJUL20 for 20% off) at GameFly (http://www.gamefly.com/Download-Sid-Meier%27s-Civilization-V-Brave-New-World/5006002/)

$25.49 (15% off sale) at GetGamesGo (http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/civilization-v-brave-new-world)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2013, 08:05:33 AM
Ok...not sure why Gamespot posted that 'some features are lost' to Brave New World. As long as I can play the DLC scenarios I have purchased as well as Empires of the Smokey Skies along with the new content, I am happy. The only sticking point now is the Steam sale and whether or not Brave New World will be included. Can't wait to play as Morocco...what a great Civ choice.

Thanks for the additional info Steve.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: son_of_montfort on July 10, 2013, 09:34:42 AM
Wow... let me tell you, playing Venice is a totally different type of game. You can't build settlers and any new cities you take or buy (you can buy, with no money, city-states, using the Merchant of Venice Great Person) are always puppets. The catch is that you can purchase (using gold) things in puppet states. So for the first many turns you are a lone city, but a HUGE one that is incredibly efficient at building stuff and making money. You also really need to max your caravans and trade ships, as you start with double the amount normally allowed. I was raking in around 100 and maxed out at almost 500 gold per turn!

The big issue is that these puppet states, while great at building normal buildings, will never build wonders or military units. Which means you either have to purchase military units where you need them (and with your huge treasury you can) or build them in Venice and ship them over. It means, as long as you have money, you are very flexible.

On the other hand, the loss to trade that war brings really dissuades you from too many wars. Buying up too many city-states also increases your unhappiness, so you constantly have to off-set that.

I am trying for a culture victory and I've determined that it is extremely difficult to achieve. I have been able to influence two of the 6 remaining civs (two are gone), but it won't be quick enough to do that before the artificial end of the game. I need to reevaluate the best method to achieve this victory.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2013, 10:31:44 AM
I think Venice was made specifically for people who think the One-City Challenge is the only way to play ;D

That said, it really does feel right for the way Venice operated for so long, so that's a huge credit to the designers.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: eyebiter on July 10, 2013, 11:04:05 AM
If there are that many barbarians, play Germany with the Honor cultural tree.  Hunt down barbarian camps for gold + 50% chance of free unit.  Once your 5+ above your army support limit start blitzkrieg against nearby cities. Half dozen archers will take down early era defences fast.  Pull back wounded units and bring up others to reinforce.  If you lose a few big deal just hunt down more  barbarian camps. Attack NPC cultures first, intimidate city states for free workers.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 10, 2013, 11:31:44 AM
^ That's a good idea to try. 8)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2013, 12:34:52 PM
one tactic that I've been trying on the Smokey Skies scenario is to find the nearest NPC and immediately attack him to capture one of his settlers.  With only 3 settlers each to start, and the HUGE expense in that scenario of building new ones, it seriously handicaps the nearest neighbor and gives me an extra worker.  The war never lasts that long and always ends in an even peace, and in the meantime, I'm 1 city ahead of him.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2013, 12:44:49 PM
Sneaky bastard.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 10, 2013, 02:24:07 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on July 09, 2013, 10:25:38 AM
So... I... um... might have played this to 4:00 am last night. So far, so good, but I was getting my butt handed to me on Prince level by the AI. In one start, as Harun al-Rashid (I wanted to benefit from spreading religion and trade routes), I started strong but then my next-door-neighbor Portugal managed to convert all of my cities to their religion, even my holy city. That tanked both my happiness and my treasury, as my religion offered bonuses to both.

My second start was Byzantium, and I managed to get a very early religion foundation (easy to do with Theodora). But the Babylonians were parked right next to me and founded Akkad in my territory. So I went to war and took Akkad, then patched things up in peace. The happiness hit began to tank my economy and so my research foundered. The caravans did not help.

So it seems like they have made some stark economy changes under the hood.

My best experience seems to be economic warfare, build an army up early and send it in to raze most of their land improvements. That and manually manage my specialists in the cities.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2013, 07:30:19 PM
Gave in...and bought it on Gamefly for 23.99. Downloading Gamefly client and then the DLC now. I am weak.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 10, 2013, 07:52:54 PM
We're all weak.  :)   Don't bother with the GameFly client...alls you really need is the Steam code so you can activate it on Steam...
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 10, 2013, 07:57:47 PM
^Already installed the client...even though I probably won't ever use it again, though. No big whoop.

I think I am going to play Scramble for Africa first, as Morocco.

Tasty.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 11, 2013, 04:39:58 PM
...seems to be a demo available:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/235580/
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Yskonyn on July 12, 2013, 10:03:00 AM
Base game or Gold edition bow 75% off in the Steam Summer sale.
BNW about 30% off.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Bismarck on July 12, 2013, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: eyebiter on July 10, 2013, 11:04:05 AM
If there are that many barbarians, play Germany with the Honor cultural tree.  Hunt down barbarian camps for gold + 50% chance of free unit.  Once your 5+ above your army support limit start blitzkrieg against nearby cities. Half dozen archers will take down early era defences fast.  Pull back wounded units and bring up others to reinforce.  If you lose a few big deal just hunt down more  barbarian camps. Attack NPC cultures first, intimidate city states for free workers.

That works for me. I just took out Japan with many brutes, warriors and two archers. The losses I took helped my cash flow.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 12, 2013, 02:36:24 PM
War is good for the economy
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 12, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
Always has been, unless you are on the receiving end of an ass whuppin'.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 12, 2013, 02:39:03 PM
Don't you at least buy them flowers?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 12, 2013, 02:40:27 PM
Dinner. Maybe.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 12, 2013, 04:31:30 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 09, 2013, 02:06:30 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 09, 2013, 12:37:10 PM
You guys think it's worth the hefty price?

Try using voucher code GMG20-F202F-UI40F at Greenmangaming (http://www.greenmangaming.com/?emst=6o9fP29x6F_159642_138862_252).

It should knock off 20%, plus GMG is giving $4 cash back or $6 GMG credit, so it should cost you about ~$20, less if you count the $4 cash back or $6 credit...

I used a 20% off code for the pre-order a month or so ago and it worked just fine (wish they'd had the $4 cash back or $6 credit deal then).  Got my Steam code this morning and it worked fine.

Well it seems that the code is now working for BNW (minus the $4 cashback/$6 GMG credit)...at least according to the email I got from GMG
Quote
Hey steve58,

This weekend we have our trusty 20% off voucher*! 'But what should I use this glorious voucher on?' I hear you say. Well you could use it on almost every product on the GMG Store including titles such as FINAL FANTASY VII, Mortal Kombat Komplete, and The Walking Dead: 400 Days.

GMG20-F202F-UI40F

You can even use the voucher on the brand spanking new Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World. This voucher is valid until 1500 UTC 15th July 2013, so make sure you use it before it's gone!

BNW has been on sale (flash sale: $20.99) once and will probably be on sale again before the Summer sale is over. Just posting this as an alternative to the Steam Summer Sale for those who can't wait...
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 13, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Quick question: I am 50 turns in to my Scramble for Africa scenario as Morocco. Really good so far. But after turn ten the faction standing chart that was in the upper right hand corner of the screen disappeared. I don't think I shut it off, I think it went away on it's own. Anyone have any idea how to get it back?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: solops on July 15, 2013, 01:01:16 PM
I just picked up Civ5 at the Steam sale. There is some really negative feedback about the new BNW expansion on the Steam boards. What is the consensus here? Is it good or bad? Can any bad be modded out?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2013, 01:11:46 PM
Negative feedback? InconCIVable.Har.

Seriously Brave New World.was.the one bright spot in an otherwise craptacular weekend.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 15, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Quick question: I am 50 turns in to my Scramble for Africa scenario as Morocco. Really good so far. But after turn ten the faction standing chart that was in the upper right hand corner of the screen disappeared. I don't think I shut it off, I think it went away on it's own. Anyone have any idea how to get it back?

If you figure this out let me know 'cause I want to get rid of it!
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 15, 2013, 01:14:53 PM
Quote from: solops on July 15, 2013, 01:01:16 PM
I just picked up Civ5 at the Steam sale. There is some really negative feedback about the new BNW expansion on the Steam boards. What is the consensus here? Is it good or bad? Can any bad be modded out?

I like it very much so far. The AI seems a little less aggressive... but Barbs are way more aggressive and numerous.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: solops on July 15, 2013, 01:29:24 PM
The complaints I saw mentioned the AI being less aggressive than before.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Barthheart on July 15, 2013, 01:51:29 PM
So far, for me, it's only seems really obvious during the early game. Less AI's attacking you or each other just because. I've read some discussion that his might be caused by the less coin available in the early game, causing the AI to not be able to build large armies.
Later in the game the wars pick up again as everyone gets more money making buildings/wonders and have many more trade routes.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
So I played a few games this weekend as Shoshone, Venice, and Indonesia.

Barbarians are much more of a pain-in-the-ass.  So much so that I double-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on "raging barbarians" in the settings.  They spawn quicker and attack in a more coordinated fashion (try to flank you, pursue on multiple axes instead of in a line) but seem to prefer to pillage improvements over attacking cities.

AI seems less aggresive in picking fights, but the change in negotiating GPT / lump sum seems to have the AI holding out for better financial deals than it would've in G+K or vanilla 5.  The AI also seems to build wonders quicker than it used to - or I'm just pissed b/c of all the near-misses I had w/ Venice :-\

Overall, I like the features of the new game.  I like the way that "great works" from writers / artists / musicians are tied to real-world works and tied to being 'housed' somewhere.  The indiv civ powers are pretty neat (especially the 3 I played a bunch this weekend).  Trade routes are an interesting dynamic, but while they can bring in some good gold early, you have to be careful to explore the range of trade options so you don't overcommit to building caravans and wind up w/ no one on the same continent worth trading with.  I haven't gotten far enough to hit the World Congress yet, but we'll see when it gets there how that works.

Venice is *hard* to play.  You have limits on wonder-building b/c you only have the one city.  Trade routes are paramount but you have to grab the write city-states to 'purchase' to get your trade routes in range of other cities worth trading with, while not over-extending so you have unsupportable annexations.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 02:39:47 PM
I played for several hours Saturday night. For he first time since I've had Civ V I actually had the just one more turn feeling. I really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?). Played as the Vikings. Things were going pretty good until I got over amibtion and declared war on Mogadishu. They were right next to Mount Kilimanjaro and i thought it would be easier to take them then to waste time building a settler. I wrong...... My few warriors and archers got cut down by their city range attacks. More my mistake then the AI being clever but it was still a shock since I haven't really played a Civ game since Civ IV.

Looking forward to the lack of sleep I can see this game causing. If anyone is up for some MP hit me up on Steam.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 02:39:47 PMI really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?).

that was in the vanilla 5, and enhanced with a combination of DLC adn some G+K content
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 15, 2013, 03:19:59 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 01:55:37 PM
So I played a few games this weekend as Shoshone, Venice, and Indonesia.

Barbarians are much more of a pain-in-the-ass.  So much so that I double-checked to make sure I didn't accidentally turn on "raging barbarians" in the settings.  They spawn quicker and attack in a more coordinated fashion (try to flank you, pursue on multiple axes instead of in a line) but seem to prefer to pillage improvements over attacking cities.

AI seems less aggresive in picking fights, but the change in negotiating GPT / lump sum seems to have the AI holding out for better financial deals than it would've in G+K or vanilla 5.  The AI also seems to build wonders quicker than it used to - or I'm just pissed b/c of all the near-misses I had w/ Venice :-\

Overall, I like the features of the new game.  I like the way that "great works" from writers / artists / musicians are tied to real-world works and tied to being 'housed' somewhere.  The indiv civ powers are pretty neat (especially the 3 I played a bunch this weekend).  Trade routes are an interesting dynamic, but while they can bring in some good gold early, you have to be careful to explore the range of trade options so you don't overcommit to building caravans and wind up w/ no one on the same continent worth trading with.  I haven't gotten far enough to hit the World Congress yet, but we'll see when it gets there how that works.

Venice is *hard* to play.  You have limits on wonder-building b/c you only have the one city.  Trade routes are paramount but you have to grab the write city-states to 'purchase' to get your trade routes in range of other cities worth trading with, while not over-extending so you have unsupportable annexations.


One city???  Holy crap I couldn't play with only one city.... if I don't have 10 by the time I hit renassaince I feel naked
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: W8taminute on July 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM
Does that mean that countries like Venice are restricted to one city only?  I remember in the old days of Civ that many used to brag about beating the game on Sid difficultly with only one city.  (OCC win) 'One city challenge'
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Yskonyn on July 15, 2013, 03:59:11 PM
You can buy cities as Venice if I am correct. Just not settle them.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 04:04:10 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on July 15, 2013, 03:51:26 PM
Does that mean that countries like Venice are restricted to one city only?  I remember in the old days of Civ that many used to brag about beating the game on Sid difficultly with only one city.  (OCC win) 'One city challenge'

You can 'purchase' city states that allow you to puppet them, and purchase things (bldgs / units) within them.  But you cannot control their production directly, and they cannot (as near as I can tell) produce any wonders for you.  You can't build Settlers as Venice, and any time you'd get a free settler for something, you instead get a "Merchant of Venice" that acts like a normal merchant, but also includes the ability to purchase/puppet that city state.

And that's the challenge - it's trying to get a solid block of city-states built where they are geo-located in a useful place (can reach a lot of other civs/cities with trade routes) but still mutually supportable should someone start attacking you.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 04:06:24 PM
One neat trick I did pick up the other night, that would work with G+K or BNW:

If there's a naval chokepoint somewhere with an island in the middle of it, drop a general on it to create a citadel.  You'll really jack up any potential naval invasion plans, and may be able to completely close the chokepoint with the expansion of your borders - forcing someone to fight their way through if they really want through there.  Put a good ranged unit in the citadel and keep upgrading it to make sure you have a good extended range.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 15, 2013, 04:16:19 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 04:06:24 PM
One neat trick I did pick up the other night, that would work with G+K or BNW:

If there's a naval chokepoint somewhere with an island in the middle of it, drop a general on it to create a citadel.  You'll really jack up any potential naval invasion plans, and may be able to completely close the chokepoint with the expansion of your borders - forcing someone to fight their way through if they really want through there.  Put a good ranged unit in the citadel and keep upgrading it to make sure you have a good extended range.

I very seldom rely on my navy for anything.... other than to give Starfury someone to shoot movies with.
*humour off*

A real life rock of gibraltar eh?... nasty tactic

BTW what map type do you like Bayo? I am using the fractal and its just seems to make two continents with the odd island... and it will put a wonder in the middle of the ocean (Krakatoa FTW)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 05:12:57 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 03:12:09 PM
Quote from: Kushan on July 15, 2013, 02:39:47 PMI really like the natural wonders you find out in the world (was that in G+K?).

that was in the vanilla 5, and enhanced with a combination of DLC adn some G+K content

Thanks for correcting me. I didn't play Civ V long enough to ever discover them. Which really says a lot since I'm actually looking forward to getting more play time.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on July 15, 2013, 05:25:09 PM
Quote from: Windigo on July 15, 2013, 04:16:19 PM
BTW what map type do you like Bayo? I am using the fractal and its just seems to make two continents with the odd island... and it will put a wonder in the middle of the ocean (Krakatoa FTW)

I tend to prefer small continents, but I'm not above stacking the deck in my own favor ;D

I'll play Arborea if I'm playing the Celts, and I set up my Indonesia game as an archipelago game.  But more often than not, I prefer small continents - keeps navies relevant but still room to play on land.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
In the Scramble for Africa scenario I have noticed that the AI is less aggressive. I will try on the next hardest setting next playthrough.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Windigo on July 15, 2013, 05:59:40 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 15, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
In the Scramble for Africa scenario I have noticed that the AI is less aggressive. I will try on the next hardest setting next playthrough.

Prince/King setting is the recommended starting setting isn't it?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: TheCommandTent on July 15, 2013, 06:39:37 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on July 15, 2013, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: Gusington on July 13, 2013, 06:27:59 PM
Quick question: I am 50 turns in to my Scramble for Africa scenario as Morocco. Really good so far. But after turn ten the faction standing chart that was in the upper right hand corner of the screen disappeared. I don't think I shut it off, I think it went away on it's own. Anyone have any idea how to get it back?

If you figure this out let me know 'cause I want to get rid of it!


I believe you can turn this on and off in the options/game settings menu.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Gusington on July 15, 2013, 06:40:42 PM
When I went back to it yesterday that particular menu was back and didn't disappear at all. I must have inadvertantly shut it somehow.
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on July 16, 2013, 04:48:10 PM
...yet another Greenmangaming (http://blog.playfire.com/2013/07/30-off-guncraft-ffvii-and-more.html?emst=6o9fP29x6F_74728_144198_252) voucher that can be used on Brave New World, but this one is for 30% off!  Looks like they're trying to pull some traffic from the Steam Summer Sale..

Quote
For this week you can use our ridiculous 30% off voucher* on a wide selection of titles. If you already have BioShock Infinite, you can use the voucher on the Season Pass for more BioShock Infinite goodness! If BioShock isn't your thing, perhaps you'd prefer to immerse yourself in the latest Sid Meier's Civilization V: Brave New World.

GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY

Here is a list of all the games the voucher can be used on for:

Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Civ V: Brave New World
FINAL FANTASY VII
Guncraft
Night at the Grindhouse
Company of Heroes 2
Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
BioShock Infinite Season Pass
Endless Space Gold Edition
Pro Cycling Manager 2013
Leviathan Warships
Knights of Pen and Paper
The Asskickers
Sanctum 2
Remember Me
Wargame: Airland Battle
Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: steve58 on August 19, 2013, 01:30:49 PM
...just in case you happened to miss the addition of this new civilization (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166727924&searchtext=)  :)
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2013, 02:52:58 PM
Quote from: steve58 on July 16, 2013, 04:48:10 PMDungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara

the hell with Civ  5 - someone tell me about this one!

is it a true Mystara game with all the elements of that world?  Or just a thin veneer of labeling on an existing arcade game?
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: Steelgrave on August 19, 2013, 03:08:27 PM
Quote from: steve58 on August 19, 2013, 01:30:49 PM
...just in case you happened to miss the addition of this new civilization (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166727924&searchtext=)  :)

Here's an even stranger country, eh?    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169606435&searchtext= (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169606435&searchtext=)    ;D

Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2013, 03:14:15 PM
Quote from: Steelgrave on August 19, 2013, 03:08:27 PM
Quote from: steve58 on August 19, 2013, 01:30:49 PM
...just in case you happened to miss the addition of this new civilization (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=166727924&searchtext=)  :)

Here's an even stranger country, eh?    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169606435&searchtext= (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=169606435&searchtext=)    ;D

Adds the Canadian Empire to the game as a playable Civilization. Replaces Quebec City and Vancouver City-States with Palermo and Tripoli.
Brave New World expansion required.

Leader: Sir John A. Macdonald.
First Prime Minister of Canada and Founding Father

Unique Ability: From Coast to Coast
-50% Unhappiness from number of cities. +2 culture and +1 production in cities on or ajacent to tundra.

Unique Unit: York Ranger
15% Combat strength in owned territory. Enemy units are forced to retreat if the York ranger deals more damage than is recieved. If the enemy unit cannot retreat then they take more damage.

Unique Building: Trading Company Outpost
Replaces the Bank. Unlike the Bank, both land and sea trade routes originating in a city with the UB produce 2 extra gold. Additionally the Trading Company Outpost increases the Gold yeild of every Fish, Deer and Fur resource by 1 near the city in which it is built.

***

Known Issues:

Can't fucking spell, in any form of English

UA:
At the moment is a bit overpowered and will be fixed in a future update.

Leader scene music
(For now when you talk to Macdonald the background music continues playing instead of leader music. Fortunately nothing game breaking).

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
fixed the description for them
the rule seems to be "i before e except, y'know... whenever..."
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: PanzersEast on August 19, 2013, 03:47:48 PM
EU IV has killed my CIV V buzz......


PE
Title: Re: Civ V -- Brave New World Expansion Pack (Summer 2013)
Post by: BanzaiCat on August 19, 2013, 05:19:21 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on August 19, 2013, 03:14:15 PM

fixed the description for them
the rule seems to be "i before e except, y'know... whenever..."

They still won't know what you're talking aboot.