GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: vyshka on July 24, 2013, 08:39:06 PM

Title: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: vyshka on July 24, 2013, 08:39:06 PM
I didn't see this when I took a quick look at the forums, but this came up at Historicon:

The Future: War in the ... and beyond
•   War in the East 2.0 - a remake of War in the East using the War in the West engine and new map system (another building block foe the mega game).
•   War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)
•   War in the West 1941-43 (Mediterranean)
•   War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!
•   World at War: A World Divided – iPad
•   Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Staggerwing on July 24, 2013, 08:53:31 PM
Quote from: vyshka on July 24, 2013, 08:39:06 PM

•   Tactical WWII game ala Steel Panthers - Gary mentioned Steel Panthers was the game he most enjoyed creating in his career.

:o :o Someone please pass me the smelling salts... no, down here. On the floor.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: LongBlade on July 24, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
It'll be new code from the ground up.

Quite welcome, too.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Boggit on July 24, 2013, 09:06:16 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on July 24, 2013, 08:59:56 PM
It'll be new code from the ground up.

Quite welcome, too.
Depending on how it's done, this could be massively entertaining.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Grim.Reaper on July 24, 2013, 09:19:24 PM
Based on the list of items ahead of it and how often they put out new stuff, how many years would it be before it would even see the light of day?  Seems like it could be a tad bit....
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: jomni on July 24, 2013, 10:08:56 PM
I have WITE.  So I will just skip WITE2 and WITW and wait for War in Europe.  Will we ever see that come to light?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Sir Slash on July 24, 2013, 10:13:51 PM
We gotta do something to keep that man alive for another 30 years at least. I'll donate a kidney.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: magnus on July 25, 2013, 11:27:44 AM
 Thank heaven I wasn't drinking when I was reading this thread.

I almost fell out of the chair from the kidney remark.

I can see it now. " Grogheads used body parts for Authors and game programmers we need to keep alive ". " Donate a kidney and get a free mug".
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 11:30:32 AM
^ROFL.

I've got something I don't use very often that I could donate.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: SgtRock on July 25, 2013, 01:04:33 PM
WOW, a new Steel Panthers game! The question is when, it seems like his War in Series is going to take the next 5 - 8 years to complete! His War in Europe game 1939-1945, weekly turns at 10mi per hex might take 3-4 years by itself.

Looking forward to War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)  & War in the Med 1941-43.

Will we still have PC's in another 10 years?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 25, 2013, 01:13:57 PM
holographic Eastern Front mayhem!!!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2013, 01:23:46 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 11:30:32 AM
^ROFL.

I've got something I don't use very often that I could donate.
Can I borrow it bob - I broke mine  :D
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: undercovergeek on July 25, 2013, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 11:30:32 AM
^ROFL.

I've got something I don't use very often that I could donate.

Mrs bob?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: LongBlade on July 25, 2013, 01:47:59 PM
Quote from: magnus on July 25, 2013, 11:27:44 AM
Thank heaven I wasn't drinking when I was reading this thread.

I almost fell out of the chair from the kidney remark.

I can see it now. " Grogheads used body parts for Authors and game programmers we need to keep alive ". " Donate a kidney and get a free mug".

I smell a new Kickstarter project.

Wait until they unlock an extra brain!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 04:29:50 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2013, 01:23:46 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 11:30:32 AM
^ROFL.

I've got something I don't use very often that I could donate.
Can I borrow it bob - I broke mine  :D

You can....but its a bit....knackered....
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 04:32:10 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on July 25, 2013, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 11:30:32 AM
^ROFL.

I've got something I don't use very often that I could donate.

Mrs bob?

oooo.....you're putting a Sunday roast dinner at risk.......If she reads that, it'll be ME that gets the ding around the lughole.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: undercovergeek on July 25, 2013, 04:41:25 PM
Nooooooo not the roast - save the roast!!!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2013, 04:43:19 PM
THE ROAST MUST NOT BE COMPROMISED

PROTECT THE ROAST!!!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 04:47:17 PM
Exactly, JD. I shall defend the roast to the last bullet, erm, sprout!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2013, 05:01:33 PM
oh - no sprouts...can't be doing sprouts...they make the wife fart  :)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 25, 2013, 05:04:16 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 25, 2013, 05:01:33 PM
oh - no sprouts...can't be doing sprouts...they make the wife fart  :)

What, when you eat 'em or when she does?

Anyway, let her fart - it means she can't complain when you let out a jolly good trouser-cough  ;)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Staggerwing on July 25, 2013, 06:04:36 PM
Quotetrouser-cough

LOL- that made my day right there!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Toonces on July 25, 2013, 09:09:27 PM
Man, if Gary Grigsby says "biggest game ever created", brother you better believe it!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Sir Slash on July 25, 2013, 09:47:54 PM
I take it "knackered" means used. As in a good way I hope. ;)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 12:44:08 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 25, 2013, 09:47:54 PM
I take it "knackered" means used. As in a good way I hope. ;)

every time Ive heard a Brit use that term somethings off by a good 45 degrees.
YMMV
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 12:46:39 AM
Quote from: Toonces on July 25, 2013, 09:09:27 PM
Man, if Gary Grigsby says "biggest game ever created", brother you better believe it!

but he takes it to frikin far.
I could play a Grigsby game or I could have a life, career, family, house and sex.

^^^ thats quotable.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 12:50:49 AM
back during school I would play WiR and SPWAW and at 2am Id get my head out the Eastern Front and rifle off final projects based on Bauhaus cubism because they worked, I could do it and I was in Chicago so the teachers loved it.  no way that scheme would have worked for a real degree.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 12:52:14 AM
if I ever go to a doctor and during the conversation they tell me they love history and play wargames Im getting a new doctor because I know that person spaced out during half their formal schooling.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Toonces on July 26, 2013, 01:10:41 AM
^ LOL, that's pretty good!   ;D
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: GDS_Starfury on July 26, 2013, 01:18:17 AM
until you limp into that USN doctor because of a surf/reef encounter and he strikes up a conversation about Harpoon.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: MikeGER on July 26, 2013, 03:45:50 AM
we got have him/Slitherine change the production priority list and place Steel Panthers first :) 
cause of the overwhelming high demand in the market   ... that's an argument that count at the Slitherine's table. ;)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: FlickJax on July 26, 2013, 05:09:09 AM
steel panthers oh yes please
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 26, 2013, 07:12:15 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on July 25, 2013, 09:47:54 PM
I take it "knackered" means used. As in a good way I hope. ;)

Its a generic term meaning worn-out or excessively tired. ;)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: bob48 on July 26, 2013, 07:12:41 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 26, 2013, 05:09:09 AM
steel panthers oh yes please

+10
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: LongBlade on July 26, 2013, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: MikeGER on July 26, 2013, 03:45:50 AM
we got have him/Slitherine change the production priority list and place Steel Panthers first :) 
cause of the overwhelming high demand in the market   ... that's an argument that count at the Slitherine's table. ;)

By now I'm sure Slitherine has figured out what Steel Panthers means to the community.

Keep in mind that if 2x3 has spent six months developing Game XYZ they can't just stop and start a new one. They have to eat. That means getting paid. That means finishing what they started before moving on - otherwise they have consumed six months worth of savings and won't be getting paid for it until after Steel Panthers is out the door. That could mean some lean times.

So moving Steel Panthers up the production cycle is not practical, but it's 2x3's call, not Slitherine's. Unless Slitherine wants to pony up some cash to float 2x3 in the mean time (which I doubt) then we're not likely to see major changes in production schedules.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: mirth on July 26, 2013, 09:50:42 AM
Quote from: bob48 on July 26, 2013, 07:12:41 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 26, 2013, 05:09:09 AM
steel panthers oh yes please

+10

SCHWING!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Tuna on July 26, 2013, 10:57:59 AM
Would like to be excited, and agree Steel Panthers should take all priority..

But if the 'expansion' for  SPWAW is 69 bucks, how much is a new SP going to cost!?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: ERutins on July 26, 2013, 11:59:21 AM
Hi guys,

Our next priorities are finishing War in the West and then War in the East 2.0.  After that, who knows? ;-)

Regards,

- Erik
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: SgtRock on July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
 War in the East II?

What about War in the Med!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: LongBlade on July 26, 2013, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
War in the East II?

What about War in the Med!

Skirmish in Burma?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: jomni on July 26, 2013, 06:26:52 PM
All we need now is for Norm Koger to revive Age of Rifles.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 06:55:28 PM
^And TANKS! (Wargame Construction Set 2). AoR was WCS3.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/wargame-construction-set-ii-tanks
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Arctic Blast on July 26, 2013, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
War in the East II?

What about War in the Med!

Stop putting projects in the way of Steel Panthers!  ::)

;D
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Oche on July 26, 2013, 08:08:16 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 26, 2013, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
War in the East II?

What about War in the Med!

Stop putting projects in the way of Steel Panthers!  ::)

;D

Hear, hear!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Airborne Rifles on July 26, 2013, 08:13:00 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on July 26, 2013, 07:13:20 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 26, 2013, 12:34:11 PM
War in the East II?

What about War in the Med!

Stop putting projects in the way of Steel Panthers!  ::)

;D

Amen (though I have to admit that I have a hard time seeing how the current incarnation of Steel Panthers over at Shrapnel Games can be much improved upon).
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: jomni on July 26, 2013, 08:42:41 PM
Though WWII Steel Panthers remake is more than welcome.  I sure hope they do MBT first.  Too many WWII games already.  Better yet, maybe make it a "century of warfare" thing like TOAW.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Tuna on July 27, 2013, 12:22:42 PM
Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1
+1
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: LongBlade on July 27, 2013, 12:32:50 PM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

He'll have to do the code from scratch.

However, I hope he holds the architecture the same.

As for Jomni's comment that there are too many WWII games? Heresy!
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: FlickJax on July 27, 2013, 03:52:14 PM
I want a very good wwII GAME AGAIN, THEIR MIGHT BE LOTS BUT THERE IS ALSO A LOT OF DROSS.  oops caps lock
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Swatter on July 27, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
•   War in the East 2.0 - a remake of War in the East using the War in the West engine and new map system (another building block foe the mega game).
•   War in the West 1940 (France/Norway/Med)
•   War in the West 1941-43 (Mediterranean)
•   War in Europe - the largest game ever conceived!

Oh God! Please Stop!

I like wargames as much as the next guy here, but WiE isn't really even a game. At least not what I would call a game. Just the thought of commanding the Soviets at the sub-divisional level was enough to make me not even take a second look. Do they command what, 1500 units per turn? I mean holy crap, is that fun? It is even possible to intelligently command that many units?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: mirth on July 27, 2013, 05:50:14 PM
Quote from: Swatter on July 27, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
Do they command what, 1500 units per turn? I mean holy crap, is that fun? It is even possible to intelligently command that many units?

Hitler did it and he loved it! :P
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: jomni on July 27, 2013, 07:08:15 PM
Quote from: Swatter on July 27, 2013, 05:27:45 PM
I like wargames as much as the next guy here, but WiE isn't really even a game.

Believe me, WitE is a game because it is very 'gamey'.  ;)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: SgtRock on July 27, 2013, 11:02:51 PM
Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1

Who's going to pay for a new game that is nothing but, a graphic update, everyone would be screaming RipOff!  GG has a good track record of creating new versions of his old games (New - Old: WITP - Pacific War, WITE - War in Russia)! I just hope we don't have to wait 10 years for it!

Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: vyshka on July 28, 2013, 08:22:13 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on July 27, 2013, 11:02:51 PM
Quote from: Double Deuce on July 27, 2013, 11:49:42 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

+1

Who's going to pay for a new game that is nothing but, a graphic update, everyone would be screaming RipOff!  GG has a good track record of creating new versions of his old games (New - Old: WITP - Pacific War, WITE - War in Russia)! I just hope we don't have to wait 10 years for it!

Even Steel Panthers I believe was an update of his Panzer Strike, Typhoon of Steel, and Overrun series of games from the 80s.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Pete Dero on May 04, 2017, 08:48:32 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Barthheart on May 04, 2017, 08:52:16 AM
 <:-)
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Zulu1966 on May 04, 2017, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 04, 2017, 08:48:32 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

The archon engine - so does that mean squares not hexes ?
Mmmmm.....very "spiritual "
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: PipFromSlitherine on May 04, 2017, 09:58:47 AM
Quote from: Zulu1966 on May 04, 2017, 09:13:21 AM
Quote from: Pete Dero on May 04, 2017, 08:48:32 AM
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4278897

Steel Panthers remake needs coders!

Job Description

We are looking for an experienced full time programmer to join an exciting project. You will be working with Gary Grigsby and Joel Billings to build the spiritual successor to Steel Panthers. The project is being created using Slitherine's Archon engine and you'll work alongside our technical team to support 2by3 in producing the next generation of wargames. Duties include adding new engine features, helping developers solve design and other issues they may be having, and providing guidance on best practices with the engine.

Applications Process

The closing date for applications is 31st May 2017.

The archon engine - so does that mean squares not hexes ?
Mmmmm.....very "spiritual "
Nope, hexes.  Don't confuse engine with game :)   Much as hexes are evil anyway...

Cheers

Pip
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: captaincold on May 04, 2017, 11:08:37 AM
So, this means the game won't be out for at least another 3 years or so?
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: glen55 on May 04, 2017, 11:37:08 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 26, 2013, 09:27:26 PM
I really Really hope a new SP game is primarily a graphics upgrade and not a complete reworking. So many great classic games don't need anything more than a facelift, IE higher resolution graphics. I wish that the developers who get their hands on some of that olde timey goodness IP would realize this.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Leave the game just like it is, just make it look better. Give us an "execution phase," where we get to see our orders getting carried out, and as many times as we want a la the CM series.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: RyanE on May 04, 2017, 02:24:43 PM
I couldn't agree more that sequels that are complete tear downs almost never recapture what the original was.  Its like some product manager feels the need to put their stamp on it with new and improved.  If you can't see the lineage from the sequel, then don't call it a sequel.  You are just setting yourself up for a pissed off fan base.
Title: Re: Grigsby future plans: A possible return to Steel Panthers
Post by: Tuna on May 04, 2017, 05:22:34 PM
Agreed too much change of the underlying game would be bad, it really just needs a big graphics upgrade and a lot of people would be very happy!

Although, of course this one might get one of the 'premium' labels because people have such fond memories. But that will make it easy for me to resist.