GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: trek on September 20, 2013, 07:18:59 PM

Title: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: trek on September 20, 2013, 07:18:59 PM
For any of you treadheads on this forum: The new Steel Beasts 3.0 Upgrade is available for purchase and download on the SB site. Happy Hunting!
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:20:17 PM
wow....thanks for the heads up...been waiting for this before getting serious into the game about a couple of months ago.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
Made my purchase, now to download all the files......
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:49:29 PM
Release notes if anyone interested....

http://www.esimgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/SBProPE_3_Release_Notes.pdf
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 08:56:43 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
Made my purchase, now to download all the files......

Download is slow as can be......I might be playing it by this time tomorrow:(
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 09:03:18 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
Made my purchase, now to download all the files......

Don't you have to wait for your glorious DRM usb dongle to show up before you can even play it?

(Glory to Arzstotzka)
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 20, 2013, 09:03:18 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 20, 2013, 07:30:58 PM
Made my purchase, now to download all the files......

Don't you have to wait for your glorious DRM usb dongle to show up before you can even play it?

(Glory to Arzstotzka)

Nope, was an upgrade, already had the glorious DRM dongle...the license just gets updated on it.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: crusty1 on September 21, 2013, 03:07:39 AM
Also you can now play by purchasing a time limited licence, no dongle needed for that option.

http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1361

and here's the link for the 3.002 download.

http://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1390
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Yskonyn on September 21, 2013, 03:29:24 AM
Work is getting in the way! I have been looking at the official site, forums and release notes on my Phone for two days now in anticipation!
Now that the software is actually released I cannot wait to check it out; alas I need to work a monster shift today. Be home at 4 am, quick sleep and then off to a birthday.
I guess no tanking anytime soon for me... :(
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 05:17:45 AM
I am so bummed out....got my downloads all completed last night, but now can't license the software....seems like potential issue with the licensing server.  Luckily I am not alone in the issue, but very frustrating that their seems very little they can do about it, especially over the weekend.

And no this is not a thread ranting about DRM, well, maybe a little bit:)
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 05:20:24 AM
Is that time limited licence "on it's own"? Or is that on top of the $115? If it's on it's own, $10 for a month to see if it's something I would like is a bargain...if it's on top of the $115 then it should be in my DRM thread along with other ridiculous implementations.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 05:21:07 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 05:17:45 AM
I am so bummed out....got my downloads all completed last night, but now can't license the software....seems like potential issue with the licensing server.  Luckily I am not alone in the issue, but very frustrating that their seems very little they can do about it, especially over the weekend.

And no this is not a thread ranting about DRM, well, maybe a little bit:)
^actually - seems like it should just go in my thread  ;D
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 05:54:33 AM
Mine is a full license.....if it proves to be drm related versus just a bad license, I will graduate it to your official thread:)

Right now I just want to play my game!   :)
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: crusty1 on September 21, 2013, 06:22:57 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 05:20:24 AM
Is that time limited licence "on it's own"? Or is that on top of the $115? If it's on it's own, $10 for a month to see if it's something I would like is a bargain...if it's on top of the $115 then it should be in my DRM thread along with other ridiculous implementations.

Hi Judge, that's $10 a month NOT as well as the $115, what you said there is exactly the idea behind the time limited license, spend $10, have a look see, if you don't like it
you've lost no more than taking a gamble on a $10 game in a shop, if you like it then you have options.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 06:57:24 AM
Thx Crusty1

That is good news at least...though the licence thingy seems a pain...given what I've gone through lately.

$10 though for a month's access seems very reasonable...I definitely didn't want to pay $115 for a game I might not even continue. $10 to try sounds pretty fair to me.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 06:59:28 AM
There are also a couple people at the official site that allow you to borrow a license for demo purpose.  I did this for about a week before purchasing.  Required a little setup, but nothing too difficult.

Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
I would buy the latest Steel Beasts, and eat the high cost, if not for the DRM.  Not keen on renting games either, as that's the big question with all the Online Activation ones, too.  At least these guys don't try to sugar coat it by coming out and telling you the Online Activation version is a rental.

Meh.  Post some screenshots on occasion, I'll live with the occasional glimpse.



Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 10:05:15 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
I would buy the latest Steel Beasts, and eat the high cost, if not for the DRM.  Not keen on renting games either, as that's the big question with all the Online Activation ones, too.  At least these guys don't try to sugar coat it by coming out and telling you the Online Activation version is a rental.

Meh.  Post some screenshots on occasion, I'll live with the occasional glimpse.

I hope to soon....but appears their licensing company is having server issues and won't be addressable until Monday at the earliest.  Oh well, on to something else for now:)
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 21, 2013, 10:05:15 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 21, 2013, 09:46:12 AM
I would buy the latest Steel Beasts, and eat the high cost, if not for the DRM.  Not keen on renting games either, as that's the big question with all the Online Activation ones, too.  At least these guys don't try to sugar coat it by coming out and telling you the Online Activation version is a rental.

Meh.  Post some screenshots on occasion, I'll live with the occasional glimpse.

I hope to soon....but appears their licensing company is having server issues and won't be addressable until Monday at the earliest.  Oh well, on to something else for now:)

How frustrating is that? 


I'll try to keep the complaining to a simple minimum:

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.electricdethtripmedia.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2013%2F05%2Fdrm-is-bad.jpg&hash=4dda5eb16b458d67e4b8d702101068728821c300)
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 02:28:58 PM
lol

I have to say - I think I'll NOT get this based on the issues already noted by Gus...and given the issues I've noticed of late with DRM.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: SgtRock on September 22, 2013, 10:18:14 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 21, 2013, 02:28:58 PM
lol

I have to say - I think I'll NOT get this based on the issues already noted by Gus...and given the issues I've noticed of late with DRM.


Steel Beasts has the 2nd worst DRM, games should be hassle free, DRM like this is anything but.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2013, 06:13:56 PM
Good news today....the license issue was finally solved and able to proceed with playing the game.....however, bad news its now the work week and I have very little time to play:(
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Arctic Blast on September 24, 2013, 07:07:54 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 24, 2013, 06:13:56 PM
Good news today....the license issue was finally solved and able to proceed with playing the game.....however, bad news its now the work week and I have very little time to play:(

The need to work...the worst DRM scheme known to man!  ;D
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Jack Nastyface on September 24, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
Amazing update to this game, although it is almost totally unplayable on my crap-ass computer.  Guess I am going to have to sell off a bunch of stuff so I can get a new rig.
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Nefaro on September 25, 2013, 02:55:13 AM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on September 24, 2013, 10:47:13 PM
Amazing update to this game, although it is almost totally unplayable on my crap-ass computer.  Guess I am going to have to sell off a bunch of stuff so I can get a new rig.

I'm surprised you haven't had to regularly sell off stuff to keep purchasing Steel Beasts Pro updates!  :P
Title: Re: Steel Beasts 3.0 Now Available!
Post by: Jack Nastyface on September 25, 2013, 04:38:39 PM
^yeah...but the depth and realism of this game is just stunning.  Not only is it probably the best modern AFV simulator available, every update includes more and more features that enhance it's role as a small scale ground combat tactical simulator.  Taken together, Steel Beasts and now SBProPE have been on every gaming computer I've owned since it's release in 2000.  That's almost 14 years of gaming for about $175.  I think the only other title that has close to that tenure is Il-2 (and it's various add-ons), for which I've probably invested maybe $80 - $100.  I've probably spent more on other franchises (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, SWAT) but none of them are still on my 'puter.