GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM

Title: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
I recently picked this one up on sale for $16.  Due to the negative reviews, I refused to pay full price.  Anyway, I've played the opening missions and its not half bad for what it is worth...so long as you can handle the fact that this is not your traditional Xcom, but rather a third-person action game with a tactical squad management system built-in, you may get some enjoyment without throwing a fit like most of the commercial press.  Yes, the story is not great and the cut scenes are very campy, but when it comes to the game play there is some fun to be had.

Where else can you shoot aliens with an M14?

So, at a discount, for approximately 15 bucks, I say give it a shot if you are like me...curious by the gameplay videos out there, but cautious due to all the negative fuss.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Bison on September 29, 2013, 04:51:43 PM
Yeah your impression supports my line of thought.  I've got it on my wish list on steam waiting for a big sale on it before purchasing.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on October 01, 2013, 03:23:50 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
Where else can you shoot aliens with an M14?

Xenonauts?  ;D
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Greybriar on October 21, 2013, 03:31:30 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
I recently picked this one up on sale for $16....

Was it worth the $16 you paid for it, Jarhead?

Is anyone playing it?

The reason I ask is that I saw the retail boxed version of this for sale for $10 + $2 shipping and the bargain hunter in me couldn't resist snatching it up (it's priced at $49.99 at Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/65930/), GamersGate (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BXCOMD/the-bureau-xcom-declassified), and Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Bureau-XCOM-Declassified-Online-Game/dp/B00DYBBE1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1382386926&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Bureau%3A+XCOM+Declassified) ($41.94 + Free Shipping for the retail boxed game (http://www.amazon.com/Bureau-XCOM-Declassified-Online-Game/dp/B00DYBBE1Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1382386926&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Bureau%3A+XCOM+Declassified)).

Now I'd like to know if it's any good before I tear off the shrink wrap and register it on Steam. If it isn't, I'll sell it to some sucker fellow gamer who will appreciate it.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: jomni on October 26, 2013, 06:11:54 PM
Half price at Get Games.
http://getgamesgo.com/product/the-bureau-xcom-declassified

Did anyone get it aside from Jarhead?
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on October 26, 2013, 06:49:39 PM
I've stayed away in droves so far, but since I'm curious for impressions from other Grogs I'm registering for comment tracking. :)
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Greybriar on October 27, 2013, 02:29:53 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 26, 2013, 06:11:54 PM
Half price at Get Games.
http://getgamesgo.com/product/the-bureau-xcom-declassified

Did anyone get it aside from Jarhead?

I bought the retail boxed version of it for $9.99 + $1.99 shipping on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190933894809&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160).

I still haven't played it, although it got me interested in playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown again.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on October 27, 2013, 07:40:01 AM
.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on October 27, 2013, 10:23:19 AM
Tough industry...sorry I've been short on imperessions.  In truth, I've been so preoccupied with other releases that I have not played any more Bureau since the first mission.  I'm sure, eventually, I'll get around to it.
Title: Re: The Bureau: XCOM Declassified
Post by: Greybriar on October 27, 2013, 02:05:49 PM
My curiosity got the better of me and, being the fan of the X-COM series that I am, I installed The Bureau: XCOM Declassified to try it out myself. To be honest, that is really the only way to know whether I like a game or not because tastes vary.

To begin with, since I detest using the WASD keys for movement, I went into the Options menu to remap the keys. Much to my surprise I found it was possible to do so. I also learned that there are many, many keyboard shortcuts. Learning them all in one setting would be overwhelming. But due to the way the game was set up, a prompt appears at the appropriate time that lets the player know which key to press to perform the appropriate action.

Although I usually do not play shooters, I have to say that I am impressed with this game. It seems to me that a lot of work went into it and that it was meant to be playable by even those unfamiliar with this type of game. In other words, someone like me. Perhaps that is nothing new. It may have been the same with BioShock 2; but I never played BioShock 2. At any rate, the controls aren't as daunting as they first appeared to be.

The graphics are good. They make the 1960s setting appear realistic. I think they set the mood well.

Something I had never seen before in a PC game was the way orders were given to the members of the team. So far, I've had two team members assigned to me and I can order each of them to perform certain actions using a special interface that is activated by pressing the space bar. It doesn't pause the game but slows it down sufficiently to make things much less hectic.

My character has survived long enough to make it to the new base, which isn't very far into the game at all. But I hope what little I have shared here has helped someone learn just a little bit about the game.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on October 28, 2013, 09:54:14 AM
Thanks, GB! -- if you're inclined, keep up your impressions as you go!
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: W8taminute on October 28, 2013, 02:28:05 PM
The fact that you got distracted with all the other gaming goodness out there and haven't been back since playing the first mission is more than enough info on this game for me.


GB your assessment was useful as well. 
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Greybriar on October 28, 2013, 04:49:43 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on October 28, 2013, 09:54:14 AM
Thanks, GB! -- if you're inclined, keep up your impressions as you go!

You're welcome, Jason.

But it might be awhile before I get back into The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It reminded me that I hadn't played  XCOM: Enemy Unknown for quite awhile and I ended up playing it instead of The Bureau. I finished my first game of XCOM: Enemy Unknown in the wee hours of this morning and started a new one about 7 a.m. For some reason I like it a lot more than I did a year ago.

Quote from: W8taminute on October 28, 2013, 02:28:05 PM
....GB your assessment was useful as well.

Thanks, W8taminute. I'm glad you found my post useful.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on October 28, 2013, 05:58:03 PM
GB has summarized my main worry about investing in The Bureau: I'm afraid I'll sit there thinking, "I could be playing (one of) the real XCom(s) right now!"
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on November 18, 2013, 06:53:25 AM
.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 18, 2013, 07:19:29 AM
Interesting. Thanks for posting.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: skeptical.platypus on December 04, 2013, 01:04:19 AM
I bought Declassified on launch because I missed the fps bit hate myself a little.

I got about four or five missions in. I liked the story and I liked the setting.

Honestly, what freaked me out was the slow-time squad-commands. Loved the concept, hated the execution. But I think I was trying to use it more like traditional turn based Xcom.

Mass Effect's implementation of fps squad commands is better imo. It is trying to do less, but some of the fail for me with Declassified is the length of time it took to move your command interface around the screen. Gotta KISS for me, 'cause I'm definitely that latter "s."
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Swatter on December 04, 2013, 02:13:07 PM
What I am waiting for is a thoughtful first person tactical shooter like the original Ghost Recon married to a turn based X-COM strategy game. That would be very cool.

Speaking of Mass Effect, its been too long since I played it.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: undercovergeek on December 04, 2013, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: Swatter on December 04, 2013, 02:13:07 PM
What I am waiting for is a thoughtful first person tactical shooter like the original Ghost Recon married to a turn based X-COM strategy game. That would be very cool.

Speaking of Mass Effect, its been too long since I played it.

with a 40k mod on top..............
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 04, 2013, 03:05:43 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 04, 2013, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: Swatter on December 04, 2013, 02:13:07 PM
What I am waiting for is a thoughtful first person tactical shooter like the original Ghost Recon married to a turn based X-COM strategy game. That would be very cool.

Speaking of Mass Effect, its been too long since I played it.

with a 40k mod on top..............

...and some MD-80s and 737s and Piper Cubs to move around in...
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on December 06, 2013, 12:02:02 AM
I sense a theme developing in this thread... ::)

Also, a pony.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on December 15, 2013, 12:23:41 PM
.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: jomni on May 31, 2014, 01:20:05 AM
I had this game for a while but haven't really played it.
Now I got a chance to fire it up for the first time. 
It's quite interesting.  I like the game mechanics and squad tactics.
Too bad many people are ignoring this.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Tpek on May 31, 2014, 02:21:33 AM
I was rather disappointed with the game.
The entire game feels like it's a huge miss.

A game about playing a secret bureau that investigates, deals with and then covers up ETs sounds exciting...
Except this game quickly turns into a mediocre squad-shooter.

And the ending is just plain terrible and contradicts everything that's been going in the entire game.

At least there's a nice surprise twist about your character :)
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2014, 05:11:27 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 31, 2014, 02:21:33 AM
I was rather disappointed with the game.
The entire game feels like it's a huge miss.

A game about playing a secret bureau that investigates, deals with and then covers up ETs sounds exciting...
Except this game quickly turns into a mediocre squad-shooter.

And the ending is just plain terrible and contradicts everything that's been going in the entire game.

At least there's a nice surprise twist about your character :)

Interesting that you still stuck with it through the end of the story...there must be something there worthwhile, no?
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Tpek on May 31, 2014, 05:47:48 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 31, 2014, 05:11:27 AM
Quote from: Tpek on May 31, 2014, 02:21:33 AM
I was rather disappointed with the game.
The entire game feels like it's a huge miss.

A game about playing a secret bureau that investigates, deals with and then covers up ETs sounds exciting...
Except this game quickly turns into a mediocre squad-shooter.

And the ending is just plain terrible and contradicts everything that's been going in the entire game.

At least there's a nice surprise twist about your character :)

Interesting that you still stuck with it through the end of the story...there must be something there worthwhile, no?

I was hoping to at least finish some games.
Plus, how should have I known the ending would completely suck?
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: jomni on May 31, 2014, 06:57:39 PM
Don't spoil it.   :buck2:
Anyway I'm still playing it no matter what because the tactical stuff is "worthwhile" based on my tastes.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: undercovergeek on May 31, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
inspired to try Enemy Unknown on Impossible/Ironman after watching a hilarious Lets Play collection
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
Where else can you shoot aliens with an M14?


Texas.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2014, 02:05:29 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
Where else can you shoot aliens with an M14?


Texas.

I said "aliens", not "illegal aliens".
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Tpek on June 01, 2014, 08:49:09 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 01, 2014, 02:05:29 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on June 01, 2014, 12:04:58 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 29, 2013, 04:48:53 PM
Where else can you shoot aliens with an M14?


Texas.

I said "aliens", not "illegal aliens".

So those Sectoids/Rectoids/Whatever that are invading America and killing everyone are Legal?  ^-^
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Staggerwing on June 01, 2014, 09:33:31 AM
Green men with Green cards
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Tpek on June 01, 2014, 10:30:03 AM
They're Grey.
Also some of them are carrying pistols, don't they need a license for them? (as opposed to the heavier weaponry :P)
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on June 01, 2014, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 31, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
inspired to try Enemy Unknown on Impossible/Ironman after watching a hilarious Lets Play collection

Link? I love hilarious Xcom LPs!
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: undercovergeek on June 01, 2014, 01:44:25 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 01, 2014, 10:57:59 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 31, 2014, 07:13:20 PM
inspired to try Enemy Unknown on Impossible/Ironman after watching a hilarious Lets Play collection

Link? I love hilarious Xcom LPs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zJE9GodMQ
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: JasonPratt on June 01, 2014, 06:39:24 PM
Ooooh, yes those were good. Thx!
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: jomni on June 07, 2014, 08:15:34 AM
Finished the campaign.  It's not really that bad.  I enjoyed it.  There were some choices to be made.  Wonder what will happen if I chose the other branch.  But I think I won't be playing this again.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Tpek on June 07, 2014, 09:00:58 AM
^There were no choices.
The only real choice simply affected a bit of how your character looked at the last mission, and that's it.
It's again one of the sillier parts of the game.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 11, 2018, 06:53:13 PM
I know this thread is ancient, but I just played this for a couple of hours just now, first time ever. I got it a few months ago in a bundle sale but never gave it a spin as I didn't know if it would work or not on my rig. It works, and rather well. I'm actually enjoying the story, even if it is on rails more or less. The environment is enjoyable too, as is the FPS combat, though I'm generally not an FPS fan at all.

I'd much prefer the turn-based version, but this is pretty fun.
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: Jarhead0331 on February 11, 2018, 06:59:19 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on February 11, 2018, 06:53:13 PM
I know this thread is ancient, but I just played this for a couple of hours just now, first time ever. I got it a few months ago in a bundle sale but never gave it a spin as I didn't know if it would work or not on my rig. It works, and rather well. I'm actually enjoying the story, even if it is on rails more or less. The environment is enjoyable too, as is the FPS combat, though I'm generally not an FPS fan at all.

I'd much prefer the turn-based version, but this is pretty fun.

This is a TPS, not a FPS...unless I totally missed something!
Title: Re: The Bureau: Xcom Declassified
Post by: BanzaiCat on February 11, 2018, 07:22:12 PM
Point, but to me it's an FPS if I have to sight down a crosshair and click furiously to blow aliens away.