GrogHeads Forum

IRL (In Real Life) => General Discussion => Topic started by: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 06:59:32 AM

Title: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 06:59:32 AM
If you hadn't already heard about the Coachella Valley Arabs - the high school in California with the offensive mascot - you're missing yet another PC shitstorm playing out in the media.

Well Cracked.com dug into it in a little bit more, and, well, check out the video they unearthed



b/c if you're going to have a racially stereotyped mascot, throw in the racially stereotyped sidekick and halftime show to go with it
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: MetalDog on November 15, 2013, 07:17:11 AM
Can't it just be about kids having a good time and having school pride?  Does it HAVE to be malicious and hurtful?  They weren't making any slurs or having fun at someone else's expense.  And no, I'm not Arabic, so, I can see where it might be construed as "offensive", but they weren't doing anying except showing school spirit.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 07:42:34 AM
I totally think people are over-reacting.  As long as the mascot doesn't show up with a bomb strapped to his chest, who cares.  But I did find it funny that it goes beyond just the oversized foam head, and includes the belly-dancing routine at halftime.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: Gusington on November 15, 2013, 08:43:48 AM
The media is so quick to try to find outrage. Note the newest crapstorm over the Redskins name. Can't we all just have a little fun?
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 09:12:45 AM
nothing blew up, whats the issue?
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: LongBlade on November 15, 2013, 10:27:09 AM
Gentlemen, I believe we've found our new Grogheads mascots!
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 10:44:04 AM
I thought it was Gus?

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4151%2F4997621982_6d39473eed_o.jpg&hash=fb706983003c4b4615dad7e91d2ebbefdf454971)
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: LongBlade on November 15, 2013, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 10:44:04 AM
I thought it was Gus?

Gus can't belly dance.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: MikeGER on November 15, 2013, 11:01:32 AM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi40.tinypic.com%2F2zp8iyo.jpg&hash=c09d5a9941758b9ca59b9742d704b039fb1f32b6)
;D
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 11:23:58 AM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 15, 2013, 10:55:44 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 10:44:04 AM
I thought it was Gus?

Gus can't belly dance.

you havent seen his video?
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 11:24:36 AM
so Mike, is that a faustgnome or a gnomefaust?
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: endfire79 on November 15, 2013, 01:41:16 PM
I can't see a problem with it, it's harmless no? Maybe just put a smiley face on the mascot instead :)
Some people are really trying to find problems everywhere. 
In local Indian (Mohawk) Lacrosse teams around Montreal, there's team called the Indians, and they don't seem to care.  I know that's small peanuts compared to the Cleveland Indians & Wash Redskins debate though.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 01:59:01 PM
Im just wondering why have that team name at all or a high school?
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: Centurion40 on November 15, 2013, 02:11:21 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 07:42:34 AM
I totally think people are over-reacting.  As long as the mascot doesn't show up with a bomb strapped to his chest, who cares.  But I did find it funny that it goes beyond just the oversized foam head, and includes the belly-dancing routine at halftime.

Bingo.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: LongBlade on November 15, 2013, 02:12:26 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 01:59:01 PM
Im just wondering why have that team name at all or a high school?

One word: bellydancers.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 02:28:21 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 01:59:01 PM
Im just wondering why have that team name at all or a high school?

local ag industry was heavy on dates, olives, etc - all stuff that was brought to the area by a large presence of MidEast immigrants.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: endfire79 on November 15, 2013, 02:33:32 PM
slightly different, but if it was called the Zorba's you wouldn't have heard anything :) (before Windy hits me, yes I know Greece isn't mideast, but it's pretty close, and we love olives and oily stuff :)
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 03:08:40 PM
Quote from: endfire79 on November 15, 2013, 02:33:32 PMand oily stuff :)

there's a sheep joke in there somewhere, but I'll defer to Starfury as the subject matter expert
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 15, 2013, 03:29:41 PM
and I'll defer to LB on whats oily and whats not.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: Martok on November 16, 2013, 05:56:11 AM
Hmm.  Well it's certainly not the most tasteful thing I've ever seen.  I'm not that bothered by it myself, but I'm also not of of Arabic descent. 

I'd say this one is at about the same level as sports teams with Native American names (Redskins, Mohawks, Braves, etc.).  It's not hard to see why it might seen as offensive, but that was obviously never the teams' intentions -- if anything, it's more of a tribute to the groups in question (if possibly misguided). 


Incidentally, I suddenly wish we'd had belly-dancers back in high school.  I might have gone to a lot more basketball games.  ;D 

Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: Steelgrave on November 16, 2013, 12:48:52 PM
Found these gems in my Ethics in Advertising class. We were to describe if and why we found them offensive. They are actual advertisements and I'll have to let them speak for themselves:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennethinthe212/203122608/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/kennethinthe212/203122608/)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising/ice-cream-firm-antonio-federici--vows-to-defy-ban-on-pregnant-nun-advert-2079814.html (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/advertising/ice-cream-firm-antonio-federici--vows-to-defy-ban-on-pregnant-nun-advert-2079814.html)

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/jobsintownde_the_asskisser_project?size=original (http://adsoftheworld.com/media/ambient/jobsintownde_the_asskisser_project?size=original)
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: bob48 on November 16, 2013, 05:25:09 PM
Oh deary deary me. <shakes head>
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2013, 05:34:20 PM
Aftrr having seen SoMs cod piece those ads are lame.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: Staggerwing on November 16, 2013, 05:39:24 PM
That adsoftheworld.com link has some 'interesting' ones:

http://adsoftheworld.com/media/outdoor/tooheys_extra_dry_toes?size=original
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2013, 09:29:47 PM
You've never seen my LB for president poster from the 04 election.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: LongBlade on November 16, 2013, 10:06:38 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 16, 2013, 09:29:47 PM
You've never seen my LB for president poster from the 04 election.

Bush II had a run for his money on that one. If it weren't for the rumors that that leaked in October suggesting I might be some kind of respectable person, I would have won.
Title: Re: I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway
Post by: LongBlade on November 17, 2013, 10:31:32 AM
Some news. They're going to keep the name but change the image of the mascot.

Quote"A mascot chosen to show reverence and honor for the customs of prideful Middle Eastern peoples throughout our region, now provokes negative feelings, and this must be addressed," Adams wrote. "Times change, people change, and, subsequently, even symbols and words embraced for decades may need to be considered for change as well."

The Arab mascot has existed since the 1920s and was chosen to recognize the Coachella Valley's reliance on date farming, traditionally a Middle Eastern crop. Over the years, the mascot evolved from a turban-wearing horseman carrying a lance to a standing figure with a scowl and a headscarf.

source: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/17/calif-high-school-will-keep-arabs-nickname/?intcmp=latestnews