I Mean, If You're Going to Offend People, Don't Go Halfway

Started by bayonetbrant, November 15, 2013, 06:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

bayonetbrant

If you hadn't already heard about the Coachella Valley Arabs - the high school in California with the offensive mascot - you're missing yet another PC shitstorm playing out in the media.

Well Cracked.com dug into it in a little bit more, and, well, check out the video they unearthed



b/c if you're going to have a racially stereotyped mascot, throw in the racially stereotyped sidekick and halftime show to go with it
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MetalDog

Can't it just be about kids having a good time and having school pride?  Does it HAVE to be malicious and hurtful?  They weren't making any slurs or having fun at someone else's expense.  And no, I'm not Arabic, so, I can see where it might be construed as "offensive", but they weren't doing anying except showing school spirit.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

I totally think people are over-reacting.  As long as the mascot doesn't show up with a bomb strapped to his chest, who cares.  But I did find it funny that it goes beyond just the oversized foam head, and includes the belly-dancing routine at halftime.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

The media is so quick to try to find outrage. Note the newest crapstorm over the Redskins name. Can't we all just have a little fun?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

Gentlemen, I believe we've found our new Grogheads mascots!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


endfire79

I can't see a problem with it, it's harmless no? Maybe just put a smiley face on the mascot instead :)
Some people are really trying to find problems everywhere. 
In local Indian (Mohawk) Lacrosse teams around Montreal, there's team called the Indians, and they don't seem to care.  I know that's small peanuts compared to the Cleveland Indians & Wash Redskins debate though.
"I will return before you can say 'antidisestablishmentarianism'."

"A man may fight for many things. His country, his principles, his friends. The glistening tear on the cheek of a golden child. But personally, I'd mud-wrestle my own mother for a ton of cash, an amusing clock and a sack of French porn."

GDS_Starfury

Im just wondering why have that team name at all or a high school?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Centurion40

Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 15, 2013, 07:42:34 AM
I totally think people are over-reacting.  As long as the mascot doesn't show up with a bomb strapped to his chest, who cares.  But I did find it funny that it goes beyond just the oversized foam head, and includes the belly-dancing routine at halftime.

Bingo.
Any time is a good time for pie.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.