GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: KyzBP on November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AM

Title: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: KyzBP on November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AM
I'm going to continue a game of Survivor Squad.  It a fun little game with a "just a few more minutes" feel.  I'm also going to continue plodding along in a me vs. AI WiTPAE game.  I've had the game for a few years and haven't put any time into it until this past week.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Martok on November 22, 2013, 06:12:39 AM
I'm looking at some combination of Rome 2, Distant Worlds: Shadows, and (as always) Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. 

Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2013, 06:39:20 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AMI Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!

if you stopped by more than once every 6 weeks and at NCAA tournament time, you'd get to start all kinds of threads! ;)
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: FlickJax on November 22, 2013, 06:43:17 AM
WofTanks (Cant stop playing even though it annoys me as much as entertains me these days), may be some FM2014, FELH and havent fired up Rome2 for a while.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2013, 07:35:32 AM
I'm a little overwhelmed by new games...

X-Rebirth, Assassins Creed IV, Need For Speed: Rivals, XCOM: Enemy Within...I'm like a deer in the headlights.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 07:44:01 AM
HOI III Italy where i can

Maybe some War Thunder for my flight fix

and some BF4 PS3 friend blasting action - unlocked shotguns last night and saw a dramatic improvement in my accuracy and death dealing

Finish for the year on the 9th december - that will definitely be the time i dedicate to CMANO and Rome II, and thanks to you guys possibly Rebirth also
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Gusington on November 22, 2013, 08:11:49 AM
Finally made the decision to start Bioshock Infinite. And maybe some Civ V.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2013, 08:40:27 AM
Going to be a boardgame-heavy weekend...I hope!

Civ V (the Scrambled Map pack is cool...my first game is with an Earth map and I started in China; Japan is a complete desert...interesting stuff)

RAF: Solitaire (hopefully)

Field Commander: Alexander

Down In Flames: WWII Guns Blazing

Also want to do some more Jade Empire. I second the deer-in-the-headlights look, Jarhead.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Work
Honey-to-do list
Hang Christmas Lights
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2013, 09:08:19 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Work
Honey-to-do list
Hang Christmas Lights

nope
yep
I hope not

in that order
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2013, 09:21:56 AM
Continuing a epic game of CiV as Portugal using the History in the Making mod and the Yet not another earth map mod with a gigantic earth map and true start locations.

Some VASSAL work.

Honey doo list.

5 hour flight for work on Sunday .... so some quality time with Drive on Moscow on my iPad.


EDIT: Oh yeah need to pick up EU IV now that it's on sale. Thanks PE.... :P
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:22:10 AM
Well I like JH have a lot of stuff and hope to get around to:


Waiting for me to Pick back up:


Now.... what's on sale so I can pile on the list!


PE
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2013, 09:28:11 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!

Since when does that matter? Retailers don't have a clue what time of the year it is; they're already doing Black Friday deals. I think they've lost sight of what a "Black Friday" really is in the never-ending attempt to outdo each other, so soon it will be "Black November" then "Black Autumn."
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: GJK on November 22, 2013, 09:31:27 AM
We're looking to get Commands and Colors: Ancients on the table this weekend and maybe a game of Up Front as well.  Also trying to line up a game of Twilight Struggle with a buddy and if I feel like sitting at the computer I'll go through some more of the tutorials for MWiF but more likely I'd fire up Scourge of War: Antietam.  Oh, and need to start a new pbem of CMBB to since we finished our last battle this week.  It's cold and wet here this weekend so a perfect weekend to stay indoors and do plenty of gaming.  I was thinking of taking my son to the Austin Comicon tomorrow but at $50 per ticket for a single dayt, I'll pass up on that.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2013, 09:31:39 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AMHang Christmas Lights
its November son!!

our mall has had Christmas stuff up since 15 October or so
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:33:37 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!


The Thanksgiving Turkey comes out of the oven like WTF? 


PE
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Bison on November 22, 2013, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!

It's also somewhat still warm outside.  The lights will NOT be turned on until some point in December.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Kushan on November 22, 2013, 09:44:34 AM
Skyrim: After making several attempts at starting a ranger/hunter over the last month, and having to end them all due to random crashes, I did a fresh re-install of both the game and all my mods. After all the restart I'm not really in the mood to start another ranger, so I'm going to start a battlemage/sorcerer and save the ranger for a later play through.

Command: More PBEM with Baloogan. Just started a massive ~500 unit, alternate history scenario set in the 1950's.

FC: Red Strom: Hopefully, continue my game with PE, assuming Slitherine gets the PBEM system/game patched so he can make his turn. ALso play some more of the SP scenarios. Maybe play a couple as the soviets to help me in my game against PE.

Diablo 3 (360): Been hooked on this all week. Can't wait until the PC version get the new loot system.

At some point I need to spend some time with CK2 (wih the new DLC) and the Arma 3 campaign, but that may have to wait until the long weekend next week. Have some misc modding for Command and Skyrim I need to do as well.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

What do you think of X rebirth?  The player reviews over at metacritic seem to be all bad.  I've also heard this game is very buggy.  Is any of this true?


I'm going to attempt to 100% Lego Batman 2: DC Superheros.  I've already got 23 of 37 cheevos for this game.  I'm also playing a very interesting mod called Star Wars on Space Empires IV.  I really love Space Empires IV!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:51:30 AM
Quote from: Kushan on November 22, 2013, 09:44:34 AM
Diablo 3 (360): Been hooked on this all week. Can't wait until the PC version get the new loot system.


I finished the main story last weekend on my 360.  Great game and very addictive!!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!

It's also somewhat still warm outside.  The lights will NOT be turned on until some point in December.

i knew youd have a plan and wasnt as soulless as the shopping places
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Sir Slash on November 22, 2013, 10:33:20 AM
I actually have less time to play on the weekends. But I will make a brave attempt to defeat Potema The Wolf Queen in Skyrim and make the world a safer place to be a Seleucid in Rome 2. But I've been feeling a strategic WW2 itch of late and been looking at NWS's Supremacy At Sea and Matrix's World In Flames. Anybody know,played, love/hate either of these?
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Gusington on November 22, 2013, 10:35:14 AM
Can someone point me in the right direction for that 'true starting location' Civ V mod?
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 22, 2013, 10:45:32 AM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

What do you think of X rebirth?  The player reviews over at metacritic seem to be all bad.  I've also heard this game is very buggy.  Is any of this true?


I guess you missed the 19 pages of impressions here...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7054.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7054.0)
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2013, 10:52:54 AM
Quote from: Gusington on November 22, 2013, 10:35:14 AM
Can someone point me in the right direction for that 'true starting location' Civ V mod?

This is the one I use:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=77138438&searchtext=yet+%28not%29

Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 11:10:12 AM
@JH

Thanks for the link.  Yeah as soon as I posted my question I found that thread.  Now to do some groghead research on the game.   ;)


@Barthheart

That map is totally awesome.  Gedemon the creator also has a very well done WW2 scenario.  With the Brave New World DLC on sale this week I might have to get back into CiV again. 
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Gusington on November 22, 2013, 12:00:34 PM
Thanks Bart!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2013, 12:07:01 PM
I think I will be playing my boardgame RAF:Battle of Britain and continuing my AAR on the EAGLE:Prelude to Eagle Day

Apart from that, some X-Rebirth and ARMA III campaign.

Not much else - rugby is on  ;D
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 22, 2013, 12:38:50 PM
3-gun competition at the range Sunday morning.

Some more Survivor Squad.
Iron Front MP on Saturday
maybe ArmA III and/or CLOD MP on Sunday if I get home early enough.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Toonces on November 22, 2013, 12:43:12 PM
I've got a checkride in the 757 due for my virtual airline so I'll be logging some time with FSX tonight.

Also on the line up is Strike Fighters 2: Vietnam with the Air/Ground War expansion installed. 

Finally, I'm seriously considering breaking out a boardgame.  I know, I say that every weekend, but I really might this time.  Considering Phantom Fury, Downtown, or Elusive Victory.

Honestly, that list is likely too ambitious.  But we'll see.

Oh, and I might fire up Scourge of War: Gettysburg as well.  I've been on a minor Civil War kick lately.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: sandman2575 on November 22, 2013, 12:55:59 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 22, 2013, 12:38:50 PM

maybe ArmA III and/or CLOD MP on Sunday if I get home early enough.


I picked up Cliffs of Dover on sale at GG for $5 last week, and I have to say, it feels like the best purchase I've made in a long while.  With all the modding Team Fusion has done, what was once a game that seemed hopeless has become pretty damn great.

Of course, I am freaking terrible at it.  With all the intricacies of engine management, I can barely even manage to take off in my 109.  I figure I should probably learn to take off -- and maybe even land -- before I venture online...
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: MengJiao on November 22, 2013, 01:08:29 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 22, 2013, 12:38:50 PM
3-gun competition at the range Sunday morning.

Some more Survivor Squad.
Iron Front MP on Saturday
maybe ArmA III and/or CLOD MP on Sunday if I get home early enough.


   Skyrim, CLOD, ARMAIII, Rome II and some boardgames.  Busy!  Busy!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Wolfe1759 on November 22, 2013, 01:47:56 PM
Finally got round to buying Europa Universalis IV thanks to yesterdays Humble Bundel sale so a bit of that though I'll probably get distracted by Torchlight II and I'm thinking of firing up Titan's Quest to start a new character with the UnderLord mod.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:11:18 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:49:47 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

What do you think of X rebirth?  The player reviews over at metacritic seem to be all bad.  I've also heard this game is very buggy.  Is any of this true?


I'm going to attempt to 100% Lego Batman 2: DC Superheros.  I've already got 23 of 37 cheevos for this game.  I'm also playing a very interesting mod called Star Wars on Space Empires IV.  I really love Space Empires IV!

X rebirth....it's complicated. I enjoy it and I find it incredibly immersive. I really like some if the new designs like trading and such. The problem is that it is buggy and the UI is difficult. Those two in combination create situations where when something isn't doing what you want, you are unsure if it's a bug, or you are doing something wrong.

That said, I love the game. It is getting hammered and I got slaughtered over at the wargamer when I tried to explain why I thought it was  a good game. 
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE

Yeah, I kind of got bored of it. It's a good game but it's not particularly unique or revolutionary.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 02:20:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback mikeck.  I will probably get this game at some point based on what you said.  Once the bugs are worked out I'm sure this is going to be a great game.  I like the premise.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
Really would like to try Phantom Leader on the iPad...most feedback says the AI is particularly nasty, although I found threads here where the feedback was positive despite that.

I have Hornet Leader (PC) and the box version of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, so I'm definitely a fan of these games. I just don't know if people are saying it's nasty because the AI rolls are always awesome and player rolls are always terrible. I can't stand that; I really wanted to like Blood Bowl but it definitely has AI-roll issues.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Greybriar on November 22, 2013, 02:30:12 PM
I will probably play XCOM this weekend. I don't know what else.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Bison on November 22, 2013, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 09:36:32 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 22, 2013, 09:25:36 AM
Quote from: Bison on November 22, 2013, 08:59:43 AM
Hang Christmas Lights

its November son!!

It's also somewhat still warm outside.  The lights will NOT be turned on until some point in December.

i knew youd have a plan and wasnt as soulless as the shopping places

Your like that suntan bed sales man from that one story about Christmas where he steals little Timmy's crutch and then uses it to beat him up for his lunch money and shoes before you are visited by the ghosts of Easter and shown how wicked your shriveled heart is towards other people.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Kushan on November 22, 2013, 02:45:39 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:51:30 AM
Quote from: Kushan on November 22, 2013, 09:44:34 AM
Diablo 3 (360): Been hooked on this all week. Can't wait until the PC version get the new loot system.


I finished the main story last weekend on my 360.  Great game and very addictive!!

After 300 or so hours on the PC the story is blah for me, not that I had high expectations anyway for it. What I love about Diablo is being able to just jump in and mindlessly kill demons/undead without some complicated mass effect style story line.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 02:50:45 PM
^Yes!  You hit the nail on the head as far as what makes this game fun.  Mindless killing of beasts with no strings attached to distract you from the mindless killing of beasts.   :)
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Barthheart on November 22, 2013, 03:15:43 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
Really would like to try Phantom Leader on the iPad...most feedback says the AI is particularly nasty, although I found threads here where the feedback was positive despite that.

I have Hornet Leader (PC) and the box version of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, so I'm definitely a fan of these games. I just don't know if people are saying it's nasty because the AI rolls are always awesome and player rolls are always terrible. I can't stand that; I really wanted to like Blood Bowl but it definitely has AI-roll issues.

Get it!

Phantom Leader on the iPad is great!. It's the campaigns that are unforgiving not the dice rolls.... you have to play really hard to win. This game is not a walk in the park. The political interfering that it simulates from this war is very frustrating. All makes for a very Vietnam immersive game.

Get it!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Nefaro on November 22, 2013, 03:55:32 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 08:40:27 AM


RAF: Solitaire (hopefully)

Field Commander: Alexander



heh!  I've got those two tabletop games sitting out, staring at me.  RAF is actually set up, I just need to finish reading the last few pages of the Lion rules.

;D
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 22, 2013, 04:46:47 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 22, 2013, 03:15:43 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 02:29:36 PM
Really would like to try Phantom Leader on the iPad...most feedback says the AI is particularly nasty, although I found threads here where the feedback was positive despite that.

I have Hornet Leader (PC) and the box version of Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, so I'm definitely a fan of these games. I just don't know if people are saying it's nasty because the AI rolls are always awesome and player rolls are always terrible. I can't stand that; I really wanted to like Blood Bowl but it definitely has AI-roll issues.

Get it!

Phantom Leader on the iPad is great!. It's the campaigns that are unforgiving not the dice rolls.... you have to play really hard to win. This game is not a walk in the park. The political interfering that it simulates from this war is very frustrating. All makes for a very Vietnam immersive game.

Get it!

That's what I was hoping for. Thanks for the recommend, I'll probably pick it up tonight.  ;D
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: SgtRock on November 22, 2013, 04:52:46 PM
They released a nice big patch for WITE this week, so I think I'll give it a workout.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
I'm going to focus on Civil War II and Xenonauts. Although I'm sure some World of Tanks will get some use, too.

Also, I'm going to investigate purchasing IL-2, Cliffs of Dover because it seems that the fusion 4 mod makes it very playable.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: KyzBP on November 22, 2013, 05:11:09 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on November 22, 2013, 06:39:20 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AMI Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!

if you stopped by more than once every 6 weeks and at NCAA tournament time, you'd get to start all kinds of threads! ;)

I'm a lurker BB...and a very average Fantasy Football GM.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Ian C on November 22, 2013, 05:49:48 PM
Assassins Creed IV Black Flag. Finally got a smooth framerate on PC -

Tip: place graphics all on lowest and add 1 level of anti-Alias and keep the God Glow setting (or whatever it's called).
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 22, 2013, 06:44:14 PM
I'll play...something.  ;D At this point, I honestly don't know what games I'm going to dive into.
Title: .
Post by: eyebiter on November 22, 2013, 07:38:54 PM
.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 22, 2013, 07:42:58 PM
You can finish Rage in a night...No need for a weekend...but it's a great game
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: sandman2575 on November 22, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
Also, I'm going to investigate purchasing IL-2, Cliffs of Dover because it seems that the fusion 4 mod makes it very playable.


it does - there is a v.5 in the works, although not sure about the ETA -- but there is clearly a dedicated community devoted to keeping this game alive, so a purchase would not be a bad investment. 
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 08:49:35 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:11:18 PM
It is getting hammered and I got slaughtered over at the wargamer when I tried to explain why I thought it was  a good game.

I didn't think there was enough people still there for more than a flesh wound ;)
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Johnnie on November 22, 2013, 10:01:32 PM
I'm really into Christmas.  Put up the lights last weekend but my wife won't let me turn them on because it's too early.  I can't win.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: smittyohio on November 22, 2013, 10:48:19 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 08:49:35 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:11:18 PM
It is getting hammered and I got slaughtered over at the wargamer when I tried to explain why I thought it was  a good game.

I didn't think there was enough people still there for more than a flesh wound ;)

Oh, it's the usual suspects... the ones that post *all* the time, and no game made after about 2000 is worth a damn in their eyes. 
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 11:02:32 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
Also, I'm going to investigate purchasing IL-2, Cliffs of Dover because it seems that the fusion 4 mod makes it very playable.

No Dynamic Campaign killed it for me... I have not purchased because they left that out.


PE
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Toonces on November 23, 2013, 12:17:46 AM
I'm in a mood to dungeon crawl.  Picking the right game, though, is key.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2013, 03:29:16 AM
CLoD is certainly worth a few bucks even before you use any community mods.

My beef is still with the developers and how they left "the community" and moved on to more "profitable" gaming. I won't be buying anything that company is involved in (at least out the door anyway).

For $5 though, it looks freakin amazing and plays not too bad.

As for Christmas (as it was mentioned) I've always (for the last 16 years) put the tree up on the first weekend of December...tree, decorations and a big tub of Quality Street and some Christmas music. Big day for me and the kids. That happens next Sunday...can't wait.

And bah humbug to anyone who doesn't like it  ;D
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Tuna on November 23, 2013, 09:09:03 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2013, 03:29:16 AM
CLoD is certainly worth a few bucks even before you use any community mods.

My beef is still with the developers and how they left "the community" and moved on to more "profitable" gaming. I won't be buying anything that company is involved in (at least out the door anyway).

For $5 though, it looks freakin amazing and plays not too bad.

As for Christmas (as it was mentioned) I've always (for the last 16 years) put the tree up on the first weekend of December...tree, decorations and a big tub of Quality Street and some Christmas music. Big day for me and the kids. That happens next Sunday...can't wait.

And bah humbug to anyone who doesn't like it  ;D

I hope you meant last week of November!!!

Lot's of house cleaning.. Stepson coming home with GF from NYC for Thanksgiving. Also wife's Birthday is tomorrow, will try and do something today for her (cake and presents)

In whatever breaks, I hope to sneak in some FSX..

SDR if you have any CLoD sessions going on with SIMHQ, let me know..
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2013, 09:11:20 AM
^ Meant to say Tuna - thx for the heads up on the aircraft for FSX - but I'm all tuckered out on computer gaming at the minute
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Tuna on November 23, 2013, 09:15:18 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 23, 2013, 09:11:20 AM
^ Meant to say Tuna - thx for the heads up on the aircraft for FSX - but I'm all tuckered out on computer gaming at the minute

I'm loving the Twin Otter, cause it's not that simple to fly.. But once you learn it, you can take pride in flying it well.. lol.. last night tried the 'Fuel Planner'.. and it failed me.. ran out of gas as I was just about do my approach.. Oh Well.. since I"m in a SIM, I can say "Live and Learn"
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: bob48 on November 23, 2013, 11:36:33 AM
Decisive Campaigns - Warsaw to Paris.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: vyshka on November 23, 2013, 12:01:35 PM
Got my key for Planetary Annihilation from my kickstarter backing this week, so I will probably try to spend some time playing that. Also FC: Red Storm is definitely in need of more playing. I went to look at the humble bundle site after the mention of EU:IV being on sale there upthread, and ended up with Pinball FX2 instead (everything they had for $6), so probably that as well. Seriously considering EU:IV sale on Steam at 50%, but wondering if it will hit a better price during the upcoming sale. I have so many games that need to be played as it is. I would like to spend some time with Diablo 3 on the ps3 at some point, and I need to try the latest Grim Dawn and Path of Exile. Most likely when the weekend is done, I will have ended up playing chess and none of the above games. I need therapy :)

E: Oh, and BF4.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Gusington on November 23, 2013, 12:07:46 PM
^Post Grim Dawn impressions!! AFAIK no one else here has taken the plunge.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Bison on November 23, 2013, 12:19:03 PM
Ended up playing my Sith Assassin in SWTOR into the wee hours of the night.  I love me some double bladed lightsabers!
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Anguille on November 23, 2013, 03:28:07 PM
Looks like i am going to play...nothing...

I've been on a meeeh mood for a few months. Usually i don't have time to play and when i do, i am either too tired or not in the mood...
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Toonces on November 23, 2013, 05:55:49 PM
I got in a quick drunken flight in FSX last night- Honolulu to Kahului in the MD-80.  I also played quite a bit of Skyrim- what an amazing game. 

I think I'm going to scrub all my other alternatives and stick with FSX, Skyrim and maybe some CK2.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Nefaro on November 23, 2013, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2013, 12:07:46 PM
^Post Grim Dawn impressions!! AFAIK no one else here has taken the plunge.

I don't think the content is even 1/4 finished right now, so I've not been in a big hurry.  :-\
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on November 24, 2013, 02:42:05 AM
Insurgency received a surprise patch, so I will continue to scratch the FPS itch that the game is leaving; Coop only, of course. Just a well done tactical shooter.

Also enjoying some of the update features in Space Engineers that I've neglected over the past few weeks. Those guys are making great headway, and I'm looking forward to new content.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: vyshka on November 24, 2013, 03:12:10 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 23, 2013, 10:47:21 PM
Quote from: Gusington on November 23, 2013, 12:07:46 PM
^Post Grim Dawn impressions!! AFAIK no one else here has taken the plunge.

I don't think the content is even 1/4 finished right now, so I've not been in a big hurry.  :-\

I think only act 1 is complete at this point
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Rekim on November 25, 2013, 09:04:29 AM
It's monday morning, and my weekend has just begun. Woohoo!

Just saw the wife off to work, massive tankard of coffee in hand, I'm sitting down to play some Command. I'm going have a go at the 'Hunter-Killers' scenario. This one has some cool background; December '62, immediately following an armed intervention in Cuba by the US, I am charged with clearing a path across the Atlantic for a convoy of troop transports being rushed to the European theater to help stop the Red Army's strike westwards.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: bayonetbrant on November 25, 2013, 09:32:42 AM
I played a bunch of a Civ V BNW campaign as the Americans while watching a lot of bad football (lookin' at you NC State) and decent hockey (go 'Canes!) in the background.

Also got stuck at the vet for 2 hours on Saturday just waiting for some routine shots for the cat, but an emergency came in (dog lost fight with some sort of yard equipment in weird accident) and we ended up circling the runway in the waiting room for a while, so that meant a *lot* of Androminion on the phone.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 25, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
My wife decided we needed to shop most of the day Saturday (hence my OH GOD HELP ME post) and some on Sunday as well, so I didn't have nearly the time I wanted. I did manage to play some more of a BNW Scrambled Map Earth as the Shoshone...the Zulus caught me with my pants down and declared war, flooding my northern borders with no less than 16 units. Needless to say they captured my northernmost city. I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave, built up some military, and gee whiz go figure, the cretins didn't invade me. Once I get Artillery, I'm going to wipe them off the planet. Yay, electronic genocide!

Also tried another game of Phantom Leader...it wasn't pretty, but it was better than my first outing.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: PanzersEast on November 25, 2013, 10:56:04 AM
Did not have a lot of time this weekend.... so all of my time went into X-Com Enemy Within.  I am close to the end game and have played on Normal/Ironman.  A little too easy for me thus far, but wanted to play with all the new toys. I will go back at some point and play classic/ironman.  I have enjoyed it so far and raiding the Exault HQ was fun....  Overall I have enjoyed the game a lot more than I did EU.


PE
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: undercovergeek on November 25, 2013, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 25, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:P
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:30:26 AM
Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 11:34:24 AM
Well if there aren't any ninja-Pirates... I'm not interested
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 11:34:24 AM
Well if there aren't any ninja-Pirates... I'm not interested

On second thought, the protagonist is the closest damn thing to a pirate-ninja that I have ever seen...minus the black PJs, of course.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on November 22, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
Also, I'm going to investigate purchasing IL-2, Cliffs of Dover because it seems that the fusion 4 mod makes it very playable.


it does - there is a v.5 in the works, although not sure about the ETA -- but there is clearly a dedicated community devoted to keeping this game alive, so a purchase would not be a bad investment.

  Yes.  CLOD is a strange case.  With the last patches and the mods it is really beautiful.  I never saw it when it was not in good shape and since things have turned out very well for the game from my point of view, it seems quite ideal for what I do with games, which is set up scenarios and play against the AI.  I've been running raids based on historical raids -- of course the game is blood-thirsty and 10 Spitfires intercepting 8 109s and 6 Dorniers resulted in 2 Spits down vs 5 109s and all the Dorniers.  In the real raid one of each plane went down.  But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.

That is because the virtual pilots are not afraid of dying.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: LongBlade on November 25, 2013, 12:50:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:30:26 AM
Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.

OK, that about seals the deal. I'm playing Hitman now. Aside from its impossible plot it's pretty fun, but I'll be looking for something to fill the void soon and it sounds like ACIV is the thing to do it.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 01:20:47 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on November 25, 2013, 12:50:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:30:26 AM
Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.

OK, that about seals the deal. I'm playing Hitman now. Aside from its impossible plot it's pretty fun, but I'll be looking for something to fill the void soon and it sounds like ACIV is the thing to do it.

Hitman Absolution?  ACIV blows that out of the water...excuse the pun. Seriously, if you ever wanted to stalk the Caribbean seas in a Spanish brig, looting and plundering your way across the islands...this is your chance to do it.  Just give it a few hours to get rolling.  Once you get your ship, the game really takes off.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 25, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on November 25, 2013, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 25, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:P

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You think Hitler wouldn't have used 'reload' if it was an option available to him?

Honestly I don't ever do that kind of thing, because it does detract...but man I had built a nice little Shoshone empire stretching from the Aral Sea to China, down through Borneo and Australia, and was about to colonize Hawaii when those pesky Zulus appeared and attacked me.

I'll probably abandon the game since it's technically tainted now.  :P
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 01:55:09 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.

That is because the virtual pilots are not afraid of dying.

  The AI has some suicidal tendencies.  Among them is (if they are rated as Aces or maybe even Veterans): pull up after a firing pass and then roll in for another even if the plane is too low to recover from the dive.  AI 109s rated as novice do slightly better than AI 109 ace-rated pilots in an extended dog fight since they don't do fancy stuff when they are only a few hundred feet over the English Channel.   In a quick fight the Aces do okay, but put in some clouds and more than half-a-dozen planes and they eventually have a good chance of diving into the ocean.

   When I'm flying (as the Spitfire Squadron leader usually), I spend most of my time trying not to collide with friendly AIs once the fighting starts.  I've learned through experience that that is by far the greatest danger.  AI 109s have a tendency to simply climb away at a good speed.  I've learned not to follow them.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 25, 2013, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE

Yeah, I kind of got bored of it. It's a good game but it's not particularly unique or revolutionary.

That's a pity.  I was thinking of getting this game.  It seems like SMAC in that you can design your own units.  Can you gift units to other factions? 
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Kushan on November 25, 2013, 03:22:54 PM
I played Diablo 3 (360) for the whole weekend. Beat normal mode and have moved onto nightmare. I also bumped the difficulty (which I think is the equivalent to monster power on the PC) up to hard from medium. Still tearing through the demon hordes, but I am doing it much less quickly. Feeling a little over geared for the content in nightmare Act 1. Another difficulty adjustment might be necessary

Only other thing I did was do some Skyrim mod debugging yesterday. Think I "finally" have it working right. Removed both the ASIS (couldn't get to work with SkyRe) and Enchantment Enhanced mods. Enchantment Enhanced looks really good, unfortunately, it also prevent you from using any enchanted item that you come across unless you have the perk. Was a little annoyed I can't use the backpacks from Frostfall unless I take the perk. I can understand it limiting the enchantments you can make by perks, but not random gear I find in the wilds.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 05:25:00 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on November 25, 2013, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE

Yeah, I kind of got bored of it. It's a good game but it's not particularly unique or revolutionary.

That's a pity.  I was thinking of getting this game.  It seems like SMAC in that you can design your own units.  Can you gift units to other factions?

I don't think you can gift units. Don't get me wrong it's a good game it's just not revolutionary. I had fun with it for a while, but after playing Alpha Centauri to death, there was really nothing new here.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 25, 2013, 07:16:03 PM
Hmmm...yes I played SMAC and SMAX to death as well and loved 'em.  If you got bored of Pandora I'm thinking I might end up getting bored too after a while.  Tough choice.  Do I get Pandora and go to GOG and buy SMAC so I can play on my modern rig?
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Martok on November 26, 2013, 03:33:39 AM
FWIW, Pandora got a very solid review over at WG, and in general, most folks seem to be having a good time with it.  (Moreover, even ghostryder like it!  If that doesn't say something about the game's quality, I don't know what does. :P ) 

That being said, you may want to wait for SpaceSector's review to come out, as they're very thorough.  As it is, Adam already posted his initial impressions (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2013/11/pandora-first-contact-first-impressions/) of the game (which is itself quite lengthy); it's clear his experience with Pandora has been mostly very positive so far. 

Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
^Thanks Martok.  I've bookmarked that site.  The guys there seem to know their stuff and their reviews seem very credible. 

I'm keeping my eye on this game as now I'm curious.  Will wait to see how the full blown review turns out.
Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: Martok on November 26, 2013, 09:21:29 AM
Oh yeah, and if you've not already checked it out, Rob Clark put up a pretty good review (http://www.oneguytoomanygames.com/2013/11/pandora-first-contact-review.html) of Pandora as well. 




Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
^Thanks Martok.  I've bookmarked that site.  The guys there seem to know their stuff and their reviews seem very credible. 
You're welcome! 

Yeah, I like SpaceSector a lot.  They're generally the first place I check for news/reviews regarding sci-fi games (especially sci-fi war/strategy games), and they're pretty good with coverage of other strategy games as well (such as Rome 2 Total War and Europa Universalis IV). 

Of course, one might not always agree with their reviews, but at least they put a good amount of effort into them.  Perhaps even more importantly, they actually put games through their paces before writing out a review; this may mean waiting a couple weeks until you can read them, but at least you know the author did a proper amount of "research".  ;) 



Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
I'm keeping my eye on this game as now I'm curious.  Will wait to see how the full blown review turns out.
I think most fans of the genre would enjoy it.  As I said in the Pandora thread (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8238.0), I liked what I saw in the beta, and will absolutely be picking it up in the next couple weeks.   

Title: Re: I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!
Post by: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 10:41:29 AM
Ok Rob Clark's review is pretty honest and well written too.  So after reading that piece I will be getting this game.  Now it's just a matter of waiting until my wallet says go ahead and buy!

Yeah I noticed that about SpaceSector as well.  Adam over there himself said that he needs to actually spend some solid time with the game before he can write a proper review.  Similarly Grogheads seem to review games in this manner as well.  Every review I've read here tells me that the author did indeed spend a decent amount of time with the game before talking about it.