I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!

Started by KyzBP, November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

My wife decided we needed to shop most of the day Saturday (hence my OH GOD HELP ME post) and some on Sunday as well, so I didn't have nearly the time I wanted. I did manage to play some more of a BNW Scrambled Map Earth as the Shoshone...the Zulus caught me with my pants down and declared war, flooding my northern borders with no less than 16 units. Needless to say they captured my northernmost city. I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave, built up some military, and gee whiz go figure, the cretins didn't invade me. Once I get Artillery, I'm going to wipe them off the planet. Yay, electronic genocide!

Also tried another game of Phantom Leader...it wasn't pretty, but it was better than my first outing.

PanzersEast

Did not have a lot of time this weekend.... so all of my time went into X-Com Enemy Within.  I am close to the end game and have played on Normal/Ironman.  A little too easy for me thus far, but wanted to play with all the new toys. I will go back at some point and play classic/ironman.  I have enjoyed it so far and raiding the Exault HQ was fun....  Overall I have enjoyed the game a lot more than I did EU.


PE

undercovergeek

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 25, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:P

Jarhead0331

Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Well if there aren't any ninja-Pirates... I'm not interested
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mikeck on November 25, 2013, 11:34:24 AM
Well if there aren't any ninja-Pirates... I'm not interested

On second thought, the protagonist is the closest damn thing to a pirate-ninja that I have ever seen...minus the black PJs, of course.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


MengJiao

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 22, 2013, 08:02:56 PM
Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on November 22, 2013, 05:03:31 PM
Also, I'm going to investigate purchasing IL-2, Cliffs of Dover because it seems that the fusion 4 mod makes it very playable.


it does - there is a v.5 in the works, although not sure about the ETA -- but there is clearly a dedicated community devoted to keeping this game alive, so a purchase would not be a bad investment.

  Yes.  CLOD is a strange case.  With the last patches and the mods it is really beautiful.  I never saw it when it was not in good shape and since things have turned out very well for the game from my point of view, it seems quite ideal for what I do with games, which is set up scenarios and play against the AI.  I've been running raids based on historical raids -- of course the game is blood-thirsty and 10 Spitfires intercepting 8 109s and 6 Dorniers resulted in 2 Spits down vs 5 109s and all the Dorniers.  In the real raid one of each plane went down.  But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.

That is because the virtual pilots are not afraid of dying.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:30:26 AM
Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.

OK, that about seals the deal. I'm playing Hitman now. Aside from its impossible plot it's pretty fun, but I'll be looking for something to fill the void soon and it sounds like ACIV is the thing to do it.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: LongBlade on November 25, 2013, 12:50:01 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:30:26 AM
Weekend was spent mostly with Assassins Creed IV.  If you like pirates, you MUST buy this title immediately. The only thing missing, is ninjas.

OK, that about seals the deal. I'm playing Hitman now. Aside from its impossible plot it's pretty fun, but I'll be looking for something to fill the void soon and it sounds like ACIV is the thing to do it.

Hitman Absolution?  ACIV blows that out of the water...excuse the pun. Seriously, if you ever wanted to stalk the Caribbean seas in a Spanish brig, looting and plundering your way across the islands...this is your chance to do it.  Just give it a few hours to get rolling.  Once you get your ship, the game really takes off.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

Quote from: undercovergeek on November 25, 2013, 11:28:23 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 25, 2013, 10:25:28 AM
I was pretty pissed, so I reloaded an Autosave

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:P

Yeah, yeah, yeah. You think Hitler wouldn't have used 'reload' if it was an option available to him?

Honestly I don't ever do that kind of thing, because it does detract...but man I had built a nice little Shoshone empire stretching from the Aral Sea to China, down through Borneo and Australia, and was about to colonize Hawaii when those pesky Zulus appeared and attacked me.

I'll probably abandon the game since it's technically tainted now.  :P

MengJiao

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on November 25, 2013, 11:47:28 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on November 25, 2013, 11:43:22 AM
But all "simulation" air games seem to result in higher loses than happen in realistic board games or historically.

That is because the virtual pilots are not afraid of dying.

  The AI has some suicidal tendencies.  Among them is (if they are rated as Aces or maybe even Veterans): pull up after a firing pass and then roll in for another even if the plane is too low to recover from the dive.  AI 109s rated as novice do slightly better than AI 109 ace-rated pilots in an extended dog fight since they don't do fancy stuff when they are only a few hundred feet over the English Channel.   In a quick fight the Aces do okay, but put in some clouds and more than half-a-dozen planes and they eventually have a good chance of diving into the ocean.

   When I'm flying (as the Spitfire Squadron leader usually), I spend most of my time trying not to collide with friendly AIs once the fighting starts.  I've learned through experience that that is by far the greatest danger.  AI 109s have a tendency to simply climb away at a good speed.  I've learned not to follow them.

W8taminute

Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE

Yeah, I kind of got bored of it. It's a good game but it's not particularly unique or revolutionary.

That's a pity.  I was thinking of getting this game.  It seems like SMAC in that you can design your own units.  Can you gift units to other factions? 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Kushan

I played Diablo 3 (360) for the whole weekend. Beat normal mode and have moved onto nightmare. I also bumped the difficulty (which I think is the equivalent to monster power on the PC) up to hard from medium. Still tearing through the demon hordes, but I am doing it much less quickly. Feeling a little over geared for the content in nightmare Act 1. Another difficulty adjustment might be necessary

Only other thing I did was do some Skyrim mod debugging yesterday. Think I "finally" have it working right. Removed both the ASIS (couldn't get to work with SkyRe) and Enchantment Enhanced mods. Enchantment Enhanced looks really good, unfortunately, it also prevent you from using any enchanted item that you come across unless you have the perk. Was a little annoyed I can't use the backpacks from Frostfall unless I take the perk. I can understand it limiting the enchantments you can make by perks, but not random gear I find in the wilds.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

Quote from: W8taminute on November 25, 2013, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 02:15:50 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 22, 2013, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: mikeck on November 22, 2013, 08:51:13 AM
X rebirth
Rome 2
Pandora

Pandora looks a little bland to me... how is it?  Not sure if it looks like it needs more content etc... can't really tell as I have waited a long time for a successor to SMAC.....

PE

Yeah, I kind of got bored of it. It's a good game but it's not particularly unique or revolutionary.

That's a pity.  I was thinking of getting this game.  It seems like SMAC in that you can design your own units.  Can you gift units to other factions?

I don't think you can gift units. Don't get me wrong it's a good game it's just not revolutionary. I had fun with it for a while, but after playing Alpha Centauri to death, there was really nothing new here.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson