GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: PanzersEast on November 26, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

Title: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 26, 2013, 02:30:43 PM
It appears the STEAM Autumn Sale is set to begin tomorrow.... and allegedly runs through Dec 3rd.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 26, 2013, 03:35:44 PM
oh dear lord!  :(
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2013, 03:43:15 PM
Dear God no...I am not mentally ready.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 03:54:32 PM
"Au festival!"

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.screenpicks.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2012%2F07%2FJack-Nicholson-Joker-Batman.jpg&hash=e9d6e023e0a58f2629b339ba294136749ec4d1ba)

Let the games begin!  I just spent a ton of money on games the past 2 weeks and now I gotta do it all over again during the Steam sale.  Whooopeee!!
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 26, 2013, 04:06:36 PM
lol - I haven't completed what I bought in the last sale. Haven't touched Hitman Absolution or Sleeping Dogs and many others!

Though I have been waiting on F1 2013
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: steve58 on November 26, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
...and then their Winter Sale starting ~Dec 19th through Jan 2nd :o

Wonder why so close together?
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Tpek on November 26, 2013, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 26, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
...and then their Winter Sale starting ~Dec 19th through Jan 2nd :o

Wonder why so close together?

Because of  the closeness of Black Friday and Christmas.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: tgb on November 26, 2013, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 26, 2013, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 26, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
...and then their Winter Sale starting ~Dec 19th through Jan 2nd :o

Wonder why so close together?

Because of  the closeness of Chanukkah and Christmas.

Fixed it for you.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Gusington on November 26, 2013, 06:39:22 PM
Make sure to not tell me if Assassin's Creed Black Flag is on sale.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 26, 2013, 11:10:06 PM
This is why I've already finished my Christmas shopping.  ;D

Okay, for this and to avoid being bombarded with a holiday blitzkrieg of horrible carols.

But mostly to clear the decks and prepare to buy myself some goddamn presents.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Martok on November 27, 2013, 05:39:20 AM
Fortunately(?), I'm already committed to getting Pandora: First Contact.  That means I'll otherwise be too broke to get anything else, and thus won't be tempted by this.  ::) 

Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2013, 07:04:21 AM
I didn't think their Fall sale was all that amazing last year IIRC. 

Steam's big deals come on the Christmas sale, which they put off until about a week before Xmas.. or even less.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 27, 2013, 08:50:42 AM
I only have two 'nice to haves' right now - no must haves - on Steam. That would be Dragon Commander and Skyrim, I'm not in a rush for Skyrim as I already played through it once before but I definitely want to get the Legendary Edition with all the expansions, none of which I played through before.

I gotta say that Pandora looks like a must-have, though. I've never bought anything from Matrix Games, though, so this will be a difficult decision.

EDIT: Huh. I just logged into Steam and there's no indication of a sale, nor is there anything that stands out in the store. Maybe they haven't started yet...damn Pacific Coast Time Zone people, wake up already! Hippies.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Tpek on November 27, 2013, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: tgb on November 26, 2013, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 26, 2013, 05:10:27 PM
Quote from: steve58 on November 26, 2013, 05:07:03 PM
...and then their Winter Sale starting ~Dec 19th through Jan 2nd :o

Wonder why so close together?

Because of  the closeness of Chanukkah and Christmas.

Fixed it for you.

Sure, if you want to.
Hannukah does begin today.
Though I doubt Steam has a sale because of it instead of Black Friday :P
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 11:49:34 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on November 27, 2013, 07:04:21 AM
I didn't think their Fall sale was all that amazing last year IIRC. 

Steam's big deals come on the Christmas sale, which they put off until about a week before Xmas.. or even less.

They actually have the same discounts as their winter sale, however just a lot less games.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 01:01:32 PM
It's Live.....




PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Sir Slash on November 27, 2013, 01:10:34 PM
Skyrim for $7.50!!?? Damn, I'm tempted to buy it again for that price. :o
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 01:11:12 PM
Couple of interesting deals:

Space Hulk   -66%   $10.19

Prison Architect   -50%   $14.99

Rogue Legacy   -66%   $5.09

Left 4 Dead 2   -75%   $4.99

Skyrim Legendary   -66%   $20.39



PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 27, 2013, 01:12:05 PM
I'm highly tempted to get Skyrim for 7.49, especially as I have just over nine bucks left in my Steam wallet...

Really wanted the Legendary Edition though...might have to spring that extra $10...lol.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Gusington on November 27, 2013, 01:12:25 PM
Wow I spent way more than that just on Skyrim DLC...:/
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 01:18:24 PM
Have to ask....

Two game that interest me are Prison Architect and Space Hulk.... verdict on these?


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: ComradeP on November 27, 2013, 01:27:42 PM
Recent Prison Architect discussion thread: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8294.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8294.0)

Space Hulk discussion thread around release, linked to the first page with impressions: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7093.45 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7093.45)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 01:32:09 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on November 27, 2013, 01:27:42 PM
Recent Prison Architect discussion thread: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8294.0 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=8294.0)

Space Hulk discussion thread around release, linked to the first page with impressions: http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7093.45 (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=7093.45)

I looked through those, but the Prison Architect does not give a lot of feedback.. and they have both been updated/patched and DLC released for SH, so I was looking for a more up to date feedback. 


____________________________________
Edit....

To heck with it... I really don't need anything and will probably just pick up PA as it has been on my Wish list since Early Access was announced.  Most everything else on my wish list I will skip unless it falls under the amount I am willing to pay (which is pretty low right now).....  7 Grand Steps is one I have been wanting to play, but I will not pay over $5 for it and it never has gotten that low.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Tpek on November 27, 2013, 01:55:55 PM
You should note that if you scroll to the bottom of the Steam main page you will a reversed-upside-down writing of "Spring Sale 2013" :P
Since it is currently spring in the southern hemisphere.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 27, 2013, 02:01:17 PM
^ Yeah, that was a pretty cool touch. :)

I pulled the trigger on Skyrim, the basic edition. I'll just get the DLCs later. Couldn't pass up that price!

Space Hulk is on my list too, and I've read good things about Prison Architect...I initially stayed away from it because it sounded like yet another Tycoon-type game, but apparently it's better than that.

Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: JudgeDredd on November 27, 2013, 02:01:58 PM
Nothing of interest to me. F1 2013 - but it's not cheap enough at £24
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 02:03:35 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 27, 2013, 02:01:17 PM
^ Yeah, that was a pretty cool touch. :)

I pulled the trigger on Skyrim, the basic edition. I'll just get the DLCs later. Couldn't pass up that price!

Space Hulk is on my list too, and I've read good things about Prison Architect...I initially stayed away from it because it sounded like yet another Tycoon-type game, but apparently it's better than that.

Trust me, I have not purchased the DLC for Skyrim and there are a ton of things to see and do and some DLC quality mods as well.... you will be busy for a long time.

Same here for PA, think I will finally jump on board.  Maybe I will pick up Space Hulk next year when there is a package deal for the DLC.... but for now, I think I will skip.

PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: RedArgo on November 27, 2013, 03:06:35 PM
I'm interested in Skyrim and Steam also has Baldur's Gate Enhanced for $10.  Maybe I'll end up with both.

One question on Skyrim, what is the perspective?  I watched a trailer and I couldn't really tell.  Games like Doom 3 and Portal 2 have made me nauseous in the past and I'd prefer to avoid that.  :)

Thanks.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 27, 2013, 03:17:05 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 27, 2013, 03:06:35 PM
I'm interested in Skyrim and Steam also has Baldur's Gate Enhanced for $10.  Maybe I'll end up with both.

One question on Skyrim, what is the perspective?  I watched a trailer and I couldn't really tell.  Games like Doom 3 and Portal 2 have made me nauseous in the past and I'd prefer to avoid that.  :)

Thanks.

Skyrim has both 1st and 3rd person viewpoints.  You can switch to which ever you want and the 3rd person also has a zoom option.


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 27, 2013, 03:20:19 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 27, 2013, 03:06:35 PM
I'm interested in Skyrim and Steam also has Baldur's Gate Enhanced for $10.  Maybe I'll end up with both.

Thanks.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced is a little buggy on my system, but I'm running an older rig with Vista 64-bit. The game crashes just about every time I play it; sometimes I can get through 20 minutes or so, but I constantly have to save to avoid starting all over again, which doesn't make it much fun as the crashes are fairly random.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Sir Slash on November 27, 2013, 03:21:28 PM
I never thought about the people in the Southern Hemisphere having to have the writing upside down to read it. That's soooo.. thoughtful of Steam. A real class act. Of course nobody south of the equator can read this unless they're standing on their heads, so sorry to my southern brothers. ::)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Tpek on November 27, 2013, 03:24:44 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 27, 2013, 03:20:19 PM
Quote from: RedArgo on November 27, 2013, 03:06:35 PM
I'm interested in Skyrim and Steam also has Baldur's Gate Enhanced for $10.  Maybe I'll end up with both.

Thanks.

Baldur's Gate Enhanced is a little buggy on my system, but I'm running an older rig with Vista 64-bit. The game crashes just about every time I play it; sometimes I can get through 20 minutes or so, but I constantly have to save to avoid starting all over again, which doesn't make it much fun as the crashes are fairly random.

I've got a Win7 64 bit and the game runs perfectly well with no crashes.
Maybe it's about time to switch to a REAL OS? ;)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on November 27, 2013, 03:29:18 PM
Quote from: Tpek on November 27, 2013, 03:24:44 PM
I've got a Win7 64 bit and the game runs perfectly well with no crashes.
Maybe it's about time to switch to a REAL OS? ;)

Don't I know it.  :(

I'm waiting for next spring when I get my bonus; then I'm getting a new gaming rig.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: RedArgo on November 27, 2013, 03:51:42 PM
thanks guys, Skyrim it is then, and maybe BGE too, I'm very weak
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Kushan on November 27, 2013, 04:30:39 PM
Since I'm considering upgrading my video card to a GTX770, and although I'm really tempted by some of the prices, I think I'm going to pass on getting anything right now. My back log is worse then its ever been anyway.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Grim.Reaper on November 27, 2013, 05:37:02 PM
I know the hardest part for me in these sales is looking through all the sales items efficiently....this is a tool that I have used that makes it easier and is for steam, gamersgate, etc.  I like it because everything is in a nice list versus hunting through the sites.

http://didimatic.com/dd/en/onsale/steam/
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2013, 08:32:13 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on November 27, 2013, 05:37:02 PM
I know the hardest part for me in these sales is looking through all the sales items efficiently....this is a tool that I have used that makes it easier and is for steam, gamersgate, etc.  I like it because everything is in a nice list versus hunting through the sites.

http://didimatic.com/dd/en/onsale/steam/

Yeah, much easier to find stuff that way. 

The Steam site sucks for searching big sales.  Their client-based browser is terrible so using a web browser is a must for saving your spot when checking further details.  The sale site compilation stuff like Didimatic makes it more efficient.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Ubercat on November 27, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
You guys that have Baldurs Gate Enhanced, a question. Can you save your game in any spot? I had an older version a couple of years ago and I could only save in town. It was a big PitA to keep getting wiped out by this ogre and then have to load the save file and run back out in to the countryside. If I could save right before the fight and avoid taking the same trip over and over it might be worth picking up.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Arctic Blast on November 27, 2013, 09:27:03 PM
Picked up a couple if indies today. Rogue Legacy is yet another roguelike that will have me cursing the entire damn genre. Eldritch looks like an FPS set in a Minecraft template, only loaded down with Lovecraftian monsters and magic and stuff. It will either be completely awesome or absolutely suck.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Nefaro on November 27, 2013, 09:35:16 PM
I grabbed some of the Rise Of Flight DLC packs, which are 50% off.   Fortunately the Steam version has numerous planes in just a few bundles so it doesn't feel quite as nickle & diming.  Especially after waiting for a Steam sale.

I've been tempted to finally buy my last piece of flight sim hardware, a set of rudder pedals, but I've already gone a bit nuts Xmas shopping this year.  Thankfully nearly all the shopping is done already.  I can do without rudder pedal fluff since it translates into a few more computer & boardgames. 
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Rayfer on November 28, 2013, 07:30:57 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on November 27, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
You guys that have Baldurs Gate Enhanced, a question. Can you save your game in any spot? I had an older version a couple of years ago and I could only save in town. It was a big PitA to keep getting wiped out by this ogre and then have to load the save file and run back out in to the countryside. If I could save right before the fight and avoid taking the same trip over and over it might be worth picking up.

Yes, you can save anywhere, but you could do that in the original as well.  Are you sure you are thinking about Baldurs Gate or confusing it with another game or was there a console version of the game?  I played the enhanced version recently on Vista 64 bit and had zero issues with crashes, etc.  I like the fact that it looks better but more important you can zoom in and out, the zoom out is very helpful in getting a bigger view of what's going on around you.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Ubercat on November 28, 2013, 09:24:34 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on November 28, 2013, 07:30:57 AM
Quote from: Ubercat on November 27, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
You guys that have Baldurs Gate Enhanced, a question. Can you save your game in any spot? I had an older version a couple of years ago and I could only save in town. It was a big PitA to keep getting wiped out by this ogre and then have to load the save file and run back out in to the countryside. If I could save right before the fight and avoid taking the same trip over and over it might be worth picking up.

Yes, you can save anywhere, but you could do that in the original as well.  Are you sure you are thinking about Baldurs Gate or confusing it with another game or was there a console version of the game?  I played the enhanced version recently on Vista 64 bit and had zero issues with crashes, etc.  I like the fact that it looks better but more important you can zoom in and out, the zoom out is very helpful in getting a bigger view of what's going on around you.

It was definitely Baldur's Gate, and I could only save in town. Thanks for the feedback.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: W8taminute on November 28, 2013, 10:36:14 AM
I picked up Company of Heroes 2 and Brave New World DLC for CiV yesterday.   8)
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: ComradeP on November 28, 2013, 01:32:49 PM
Dead Island, X-Com Enemy Unknown 75% off. Baldur's Gate II Enhanced 60% off.

Yesterday's deals are also still valid it seems.

The Dawn of War series and the Lego games (or most of them, the new Marvel one is 25%) are also on sale for 50% off. Lego Star Wars isn't on sale, it seems.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Toonces on November 28, 2013, 01:40:03 PM
BG2 60% off sounds like a must-buy for me.  Going to check it out now...
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 28, 2013, 09:06:01 PM
STEAM has Flash Sale of Tropico 4 Collector's Edition for -80% $7.99

Think I will pick it up for that cheap....


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: ComradeP on November 30, 2013, 01:53:07 AM
It's strange, but I don't really feel the urge to buy any of the games, even though there are some pretty good deals. I still have some games to complete, and by the time I'm done with those the next good wargame will probably come along. I'd like to play some Dragon Age, those Lego games and something like Bioshock Infinite, but I don't have an urge to play them now. I might also buy them at the Christmas or summer 2014 sales.

One thing is for sure, I don't agree with the "the autumn sale deals are usually not that good" statements, as the deals themselves can be quite nice. Plenty of AAA titles for 75% off.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: PanzersEast on November 30, 2013, 02:35:53 AM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 28, 2013, 09:06:01 PM
STEAM has Flash Sale of Tropico 4 Collector's Edition for -80% $7.99

Think I will pick it up for that cheap....


PE

I ended up passing on it....


PE
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: ComradeP on November 30, 2013, 03:28:40 PM
Saints Row 4 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist are barely 3 months old but are already on sale for 50% off. It can really save you a lot of money to just wait a couple of months to a year after a game is released, as in the age of digital downloads, the discounts can be pretty substantial after only a short while.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 03:12:03 PM
Quote from: ComradeP on November 30, 2013, 03:28:40 PM
Saints Row 4 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist are barely 3 months old but are already on sale for 50% off. It can really save you a lot of money to just wait a couple of months to a year after a game is released, as in the age of digital downloads, the discounts can be pretty substantial after only a short while.

I am really taking this line of thinking to heart.  No more Day One AAA Title purchases for me -- it's just crazy how fast the prices on these games drop.  Rome II is 50% off... can't believe I blew $60 on day one for a game I've never even been able to get to run on my system.  Ditto Company of Heroes 2.  I was tempted by Bioshock Infinite when it came out but held off -- it's now available for $20 (I thought it was as low as $10 during a Flash Sale?).

A little patience can really save you *a lot* of cash with these kinds of sales.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: JudgeDredd on December 01, 2013, 03:22:13 PM
It doesn't really bother me. It doesn't even bother me the companies do it. I know it seems like a stab in the back from the publisher - but at the end of the day, we know this happens so it's kind of in our hands.

I take the view - I can buy or I can wait. If it's a game I'm very interested in (X-Rebirth as an example) then I'll pre order or buy on release. If it's a game I can take or leave (Splinter Cell and Crysis 3) then I'll wait. If they go on sale, I'll buy. If not, I'll likely not pick them up.

So for me it depends on the game. For the most part I will not pre-order. Often I'll buy on release day because I buy on impulse...but I have been finding more and more I don't buy on release...and then the games waltz past me.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 01, 2013, 05:03:12 PM
For me the cost isn't the issue.  The reason I rarely pre-order or buy on release day is due to the fact that nearly every game is released with a number of bugs.  I think the complexity of the game engines combined with the ease in which digital distribution allows for patching has made quality control less of a priority and the bugs I tend to get lately are of a more serious nature that all too often either break the gameplay or prevent the game from running at all. 

I still haven't purchased Rome II and I won't until a deeply discounted. Gold version with all the DLC is offered simply because of CA/SEGA's poor track record with QA/QC.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: sandman2575 on December 01, 2013, 05:19:23 PM
That's the other kicker about Day One purchases, isn't it -- not only is it premium priced, but it's almost certain to be buggy.  Waiting just a few months can mean you both save a lot of money and get a patched, more stable / polished game. 

I certainly understand the "Must Have" impulse when a game is released.  I think I'm just going to define what "Must Have" means for me in much stricter terms from here on out.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: ComradeP on December 02, 2013, 01:28:04 AM
I generally don't buy non-wargames on the day they're released. I've also had a few too many issues with games not running, or crazy DRM schemes requiring some ironing before they're functional.
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: KyzBP on December 02, 2013, 05:34:22 AM
Put me down for Shadowrun Returns in addition to Skyrim.  I'd never heard of Shadowrun (except in these forums) but the trailer looked good and the price was right.  Skyrim only set me back $150, if you include the $130 I'm spending to upgrade my PSU and video card so I can properly run a $20 game.  ???
Title: Re: Steam Autumn Sale
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 03, 2013, 08:44:31 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on December 02, 2013, 05:34:22 AM
Put me down for Shadowrun Returns in addition to Skyrim.  I'd never heard of Shadowrun (except in these forums) but the trailer looked good and the price was right.  Skyrim only set me back $150, if you include the $130 I'm spending to upgrade my PSU and video card so I can properly run a $20 game.  ???

Shadowrun Returns is actually quite fun to play. I only dabbled in the RPG a couple of decades ago and this game is pretty linear, but it's entertaining. Plus it looks like it has a thriving community supporting it, creating campaigns, so there should be plenty of content to keep one busy.