GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: LongBlade on December 10, 2013, 11:33:56 AM

Title: Steam Down
Post by: LongBlade on December 10, 2013, 11:33:56 AM
Wow. You don't see this very often. Steam appears to be offline.

Been that way for a few minutes.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Martok on December 10, 2013, 11:50:44 AM
Yep, it's down for me too. 

Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Tpek on December 10, 2013, 12:09:50 PM
It's up now.

Also, it was down as well a couple of days ago.

I wonder whether it's simply something like too many people trying to get in, or does it occur because of some malign acts.

EDIT: Seems though that the client still can't connect to their servers.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Barthheart on December 10, 2013, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

WOW! Way to start a riot!  ;D
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: LongBlade on December 10, 2013, 12:25:51 PM
It's back up.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: LongBlade on December 10, 2013, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 10, 2013, 12:25:34 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

WOW! Way to start a riot!  ;D

No kidding. That's plain evil.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: sandman2575 on December 10, 2013, 12:35:25 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on December 10, 2013, 12:22:26 PM
I heard they are filing for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Could have something to do with that?

Let the DRM Prophets of Doom arise to berate us consumers who only "thought" we owned our games!  Oh, what fools we were to place our trust in the false deity of Steam!

...oh wait, false alarm --
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: SgtRock on December 15, 2013, 01:08:45 PM
Steam is one of the largest sellers of games, I don't anyone has to worry about it going out of business, buyout maybe sometime in the future. Now if Battlefront went out of Business I would worry because they have no control of that third party DRM they use.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Nefaro on December 15, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.

.. and they were bought out.

It can happen to any company.  The new one can dick around all it wants, too, if it even bothers.  As we see with the D2D debacle.  :-\


DOOM!!1   :P
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 04:43:42 PM
In the end. We have little choice. If you don't want to buy from Steam, Desura or Gamersgate because you don't "own" the game...them good luck finding games you want. I don't like not have I g a hard copy which is why I love matrix...I get the digital download now and a hard copy later.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Nefaro on December 15, 2013, 04:58:30 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 04:43:42 PM
In the end. We have little choice. If you don't want to buy from Steam, Desura or Gamersgate because you don't "own" the game...them good luck finding games you want. I don't like not have I g a hard copy which is why I love matrix...I get the digital download now and a hard copy later.

You can still get login-independent installers from Desura and Gamersgate, however.  So you can still make physical backups that don't require using the retailers software or website to install.

Even though I've been falling behind on making backups of my latest purchases (so many!), I've still done so with most of the ones with which I could do so.  Can't do that with Steam purchases, unfortunately. 
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: son_of_montfort on December 15, 2013, 05:40:20 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 15, 2013, 04:38:00 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 15, 2013, 01:36:29 PM
People said Direct2Drive was safe too and look what happened.  Still waiting to get access to my full library.

.. and they were bought out.

It can happen to any company.  The new one can dick around all it wants, too, if it even bothers.  As we see with the D2D debacle.  :-\


DOOM!!1   :P

Actually, I quite like Gamefly's webstore. I usually use it to buy Steam codes, however.

We still have little choice, as Mike said, because many games are releasing Steam-dependent. So even if you don't buy from Steam, you still have to use Steam. This is even a thing in the indie world, now that they have early-access.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 15, 2013, 07:14:54 PM
Is it possible Steam gets bought out? Sure. But it's going to cost someone a massive amount more than D2D went for. I'm not really worried about it happening any time soon.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: LongBlade on December 15, 2013, 07:55:08 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 15, 2013, 07:14:54 PM
Is it possible Steam gets bought out? Sure. But it's going to cost someone a massive amount more than D2D went for. I'm not really worried about it happening any time soon.

If it does I won't be happy (unless it gets even better) but right now I know that the games I have on Steam are updated to run on a current OS.

I haven't found a game yet that they haven't updated to run.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Rayfer on December 16, 2013, 02:43:35 PM
Speaking of Steam...are they having a holiday sale this year and if so, when?
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 16, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
December 19, if the 'leaked' info can be believed.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Nefaro on December 16, 2013, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 16, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
December 19, if the 'leaked' info can be believed.

I recall last year the rumor being somewhat similar, but the actual Xmas sale not starting until a couple days later.  Wasn't it like the 21st or 22nd last year?
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 16, 2013, 03:14:43 PM
I think so, yes. But I don't recall the exact start date. I received a $50 Steam card for Christmas and didn't get to use it until Christmas Day...and Steam's servers blew up and were screwed I think all day.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Tpek on December 16, 2013, 03:48:54 PM
I thought it was supposed to be on the 20th this time.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 16, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
21st seems unlikely, since I've never seen a Steam sale start on a Saturday. 19th or 20th should be it.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Nefaro on December 16, 2013, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 16, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
21st seems unlikely, since I've never seen a Steam sale start on a Saturday. 19th or 20th should be it.


... or the 23rd.
Title: Re: Steam Down
Post by: Arctic Blast on December 17, 2013, 05:32:30 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 16, 2013, 08:30:50 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on December 16, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
21st seems unlikely, since I've never seen a Steam sale start on a Saturday. 19th or 20th should be it.


... or the 23rd.

Possible, but also abandoning 3 or 4 days of raking in the cash.  ;D