GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on December 13, 2013, 07:15:49 AM

Title: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2013, 07:15:49 AM
It's that time again, the end of a long work week.  The last day to trade our time for someone elses pay.  And daydreaming about what we will do once the 5 o'clock whistle blows.  This weekend will probably be a hodgepodge of games arrayed around going to see the Hobbit on Saturday.  Warlock, Ageod's ACW and Civ IV BTS MP are all on tap.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Keunert on December 13, 2013, 07:21:14 AM
i am wondering if i should buy a new game. Diminions for mac maybe? so that i can join you guys? or Shadowrun?
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: undercovergeek on December 13, 2013, 07:24:06 AM
Friday - some CMANO, some Fallout 1, maybe some Air Land Battle

Saturday - Despicable Me II with junior for the 4th time, works Christmas do (leave after 45 mins because i hate the bastards), then the Hobbit with GF Mk III

Sunday - CMANO, Rome II new Carthage campaign all day, til my eyes bleed
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Yskonyn on December 13, 2013, 07:32:49 AM
Friday - Visit to local WH40k club.

Saturday - Combat Mission: BN PBEM, Rome 2

Sunday - No gaming unfortunately
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 13, 2013, 07:35:10 AM
Going to do some Front Office Football 7 - the demo is the full game for free for three days, so I will run this through the ringer if I can to see if it's worth the $35 price tag.

Also need to continue playing of RAF (for review, BB!) and also Field Commander: Alexander and Down in Flames WWII Card Game, both for reviews elsewhere.

My copy of The Adventurers: Pyramids of Horus arrived yesterday and my daughter wants to play it.

Also have Skyrim and now DA Origins Ultimate Edition on the sidelines...and on top of everything else this is the last weekend we have here before we go out of town for almost two weeks so there's car oil change to do, shopping for Christmas that hasn't been done, and on and on and on.  :-\

I saw a Games Workshop store not too far from my house, too...just what I need on my radar.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Shelldrake on December 13, 2013, 07:37:31 AM
Shadowrun Returns and XCOM for me.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Tuna on December 13, 2013, 08:05:48 AM
Probably lots of FSX... Maybe I will try and pick something 'else' to break out of this rut!... Long weekend after all, have Monday off..

MetalDog want to try and attempt an ACW pbem game?
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Grim.Reaper on December 13, 2013, 08:10:38 AM
Front Office Football Demo......with possible purchase.....

....and if I cave, Wings Over Flander Fields:)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: smittyohio on December 13, 2013, 08:12:09 AM
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines ... made it through 11 missions.   So much fun, can't believe I never gave this one a chance years ago.
Final Fantasy VII
Carriers at War
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Darkspire on December 13, 2013, 08:31:55 AM
Thought I would have a change and give Distant Worlds a go  ;D

Darkspire
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: tgb on December 13, 2013, 08:39:08 AM
Rise of Venice
Continue the Barbarossa campaign in Unity of Command
Elder Sign:Omens
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Bison on December 13, 2013, 08:41:47 AM
SWTOR if I have the time to get my Sith on.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Gusington on December 13, 2013, 09:01:18 AM
Bioshock: Infinite, SCWWI, The Great War: Total War. Trying to resist the pull of Rome 2 and WOFF.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: bboyer66 on December 13, 2013, 09:09:24 AM
World of tanks, in my new German TD with autoloader.

Prison Architect

Stanley Parable

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg197.imageshack.us%2Fimg197%2F1917%2F4nbe.png&hash=edbcb0cedbf8206c48986509e732450ae37b13ba)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Rekim on December 13, 2013, 09:40:49 AM
Am off today and will start my weekend with some planning of the German setup for tomorrows ASL match via VASSAL. We are playing a meaty scenario from historical module Valor of the Guards (Stalingrad) called 'Storming The Station'. As the name implies, my truppen with support from StuG Abt 244 + air support with Stuka's, have been ordered to capture the Stalingrad-1 Rail Staion and renewing the advance towards the Volga.

My opponent is a master at setting up VASSAL for ASL. Amongst my neatly stacked forces on the sidelines I notice that he has even given the German commander (10-2 leader) my last name (Rosberg)   :D

(https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-aLZhWgB5p5Y/Uqsai8WefQI/AAAAAAAAA9g/wO4-v7rVkuQ/s800/VotG%25207%2520German%2520Setup.png)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Sir Slash on December 13, 2013, 09:49:01 AM
The release of the new version of the Third Age TW mod has me going back through my old version saves to maybe finish-up a campaign or two before trying out this new puppy. That's AFTER going to see the new Hobbit movie. So it's a "Middle-Earth" weekend for me. :)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Jarhead0331 on December 13, 2013, 10:16:22 AM
Hmmmmm...maybe some Starbound, XCOM and SF2: Vietnam.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: JudgeDredd on December 13, 2013, 10:37:45 AM
Lots of good gaming.

RAF Battle of Britain:Eagle AAR to complete (I will this weekend)
DTM Racing I cannot believe I bought this after pumping money into Race Room Racing Eperience and seeing nothing but paid for DLC!!! (but I do love DTM)
Splinter Cell:Blacklist - loving this
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Shelldrake on December 13, 2013, 10:42:12 AM
Quote from: bboyer66 on December 13, 2013, 09:09:24 AM
World of tanks, in my new German TD with autoloader.

Prison Architect

Stanley Parable

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg197.imageshack.us%2Fimg197%2F1917%2F4nbe.png&hash=edbcb0cedbf8206c48986509e732450ae37b13ba)

Now that is a bad-ass TD!
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: MengJiao on December 13, 2013, 10:45:03 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 13, 2013, 09:49:01 AM
The release of the new version of the Third Age TW mod has me going back through my old version saves to maybe finish-up a campaign or two before trying out this new puppy. That's AFTER going to see the new Hobbit movie. So it's a "Middle-Earth" weekend for me. :)

Sounds fantastic.  (current favorite word = "fantastic"?)  I'm going to play ARMAIII looking at the new Independent army stuff (nice tank anyway). 

And probably some DCS World and probably whatever I can do with boardgames before my father-in-law comes to stay in the Man Loft.  He is sensible of the honor and deserves some recognition, I think.  Well, at least I know who he is. 
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Gusington on December 13, 2013, 11:31:41 AM
I saw that the new Third Age TW mod had a beta release...what makes it different from the last most recent version?
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: GJK on December 13, 2013, 12:17:34 PM
Quote from: Rekim on December 13, 2013, 09:40:49 AM
Am off today and will start my weekend with some planning of the German setup for tomorrows ASL match via VASSAL. We are playing a meaty scenario from historical module Valor of the Guards (Stalingrad) called 'Storming The Station'. As the name implies, my truppen with support from StuG Abt 244 + air support with Stuka's, have been ordered to capture the Stalingrad-1 Rail Staion and renewing the advance towards the Volga.

My opponent is a master at setting up VASSAL for ASL. Amongst my neatly stacked forces on the sidelines I notice that he has even given the German commander (10-2 leader) my last name (Rosberg)   :D


I'm jealous!  I have a copy of VoTG still in shrink.  I really need to get in to that one of these days - and soon.  Might just do some ASL myself this weekend.  That or Up Front; I've been itching to play either/both lately.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 13, 2013, 12:18:23 PM
Always wanted a copy of Up Front. Never played it, but always pined for it!
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Greybriar on December 13, 2013, 12:45:23 PM
I ran into a friend of mine online whom I hadn't seen for awhile. The two of us will be playing Diablo III. Not sure what else.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: PanzersEast on December 13, 2013, 12:46:29 PM
And here we go........


Also, come up with a failed plan of not spending money on the Holiday Steam sale next week.


PE
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Rekim on December 13, 2013, 01:10:57 PM
Quote from: GJK on December 13, 2013, 12:17:34 PM
I'm jealous!  I have a copy of VoTG still in shrink.  I really need to get in to that one of these days - and soon.  Might just do some ASL myself this weekend.  That or Up Front; I've been itching to play either/both lately.

The VotG scenarios are the best I have played to date. More interesting than the vanilla scenarios, although there are quite a few VotG specific rules to digest, plus numerous advanced rules that come into play (AP mines, booby traps, air support, boats, interrogation, night rules....) . I have my fingers crossed that we'll get to playing the campaign game soon.

VotG has several smaller sized scenarios, keep me in mind if you want try one out with VASL

Up Front is my second favorite boardgame. Extremely difficult to find opponents for it though.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Kushan on December 13, 2013, 03:31:50 PM
Will probably be spending most of tomorrow watching Baloogans Command twitch stream. Will be spending most of the weekend playing Rome 2 and Crusader Kings 2 with the CK2+ mod. Due to work I've only got  couple of minutes in with Rome 2 so far. From what little I've played I know two things. First, it looks amazingly beautiful to look at. Probably one of the best looking strategy games that I've ever played. Second the battle UI takes up too much ******* screen real estate. Looking forward to spending some more time with it.

Started a game as the von Hapsburgs in CK2. Never realized how difficult playing as a count is, made especially more difficult with the CK2+ mod. Think I'm going to restart as a duke until I get a handle on all the changes CK2+ has.

If I can tear myself away from Rome 2 and CK2, I may play some FC:RS and Command, but its unlikely I'll play either given how neither one seemed to hold my interest last weekend.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Sir Slash on December 13, 2013, 03:52:07 PM
All I know about the new Third Age mod is what's on the TW Center post about a lot more factions, units and a completely re-done map. The new versions never can play with your old save games so I'm seeing if there's any I can finish-up before I try the new mod.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: mikeck on December 13, 2013, 04:24:51 PM
X rebirth
Endless space (yep giving it another shot)
Histwar: Napoleon
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: GDS_Starfury on December 13, 2013, 06:26:36 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on December 13, 2013, 09:09:24 AM
World of tanks, in my new German TD with autoloader.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fimg197.imageshack.us%2Fimg197%2F1917%2F4nbe.png&hash=edbcb0cedbf8206c48986509e732450ae37b13ba)


hows the latest patch and how good is that TD?
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: MetalDog on December 13, 2013, 07:12:00 PM
Quote from: Tuna on December 13, 2013, 08:05:48 AM
Probably lots of FSX... Maybe I will try and pick something 'else' to break out of this rut!... Long weekend after all, have Monday off..

MetalDog want to try and attempt an ACW pbem game?

Absolutely!  PM me the details of what I need to do on my end to make it happen.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: KyzBP on December 14, 2013, 07:41:53 AM
I only have a one day weekend this weekend so after a game Snowfall: Chronicles of an Angry Shoveler, I'll be putting in my new PSU and graphics card.  Then I plan to finally check out Skyrim, Wasteland 2, and Front Office Football 7.

I really hope my family wasn't interested in seeing me today.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: W8taminute on December 14, 2013, 10:46:14 AM
I'll be playing:


Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Space Empires IV: Star Wars mod
maybe a little of Birds of Steel
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Nefaro on December 14, 2013, 05:20:44 PM
I'm completely enthralled with Wings Over Flanders Fields. 

But if I need to take a break I may learn & play The Hunters solitaire on ZunTzu or Vassal since my box probably won't show up until next week or worse.  Or continue my Picket Duty campaign (also solitaire tabletop) if I can get a rules question answered.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Martok on December 15, 2013, 02:46:58 PM
Currently playing a little Rome II while also watching the Vikings game. 

Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Kushan on December 15, 2013, 07:12:04 PM
Got sucked away from Rome 2 by the Hearthstone beta's siren call while I watch the cheeseheads.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Mad Russian on December 15, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
Quote from: Kushan on December 13, 2013, 03:31:50 PM

If I can tear myself away from Rome 2 and CK2, I may play some FC:RS and Command, but its unlikely I'll play either given how neither one seemed to hold my interest last weekend.

What is not holding your interest with FPC:RS? I've been working on adding content. Is there something you want to see that's not there? If so maybe I can put what you would like to see on my To Do List.

Or is this just a game preference issue?

In any case, thanks for buying the game. I hope it will come back on your play list soon.

Good Hunting.

MR

Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 08:49:12 PM
Mad Russian, you guys have made a fabulous game, I shouldn't speak for Kushan but if he is like me, sometimes even the most polished and well made game will leave you staring at the monitor wondering if you should play something else.

Anyway, I had planned on playing X-rebirth and Histwar this weekend. Instead I spent all of my game time on Endless Space. Who knew.

Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Kushan on December 15, 2013, 09:17:43 PM
Quote from: Mad Russian on December 15, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
What is not holding your interest with FPC:RS? I've been working on adding content. Is there something you want to see that's not there? If so maybe I can put what you would like to see on my To Do List.

Or is this just a game preference issue?

In any case, thanks for buying the game. I hope it will come back on your play list soon.

As mikeck says, in this case its more of a preference issue. I've been working long weeks at work the last few months and its left me feeling more then a little burnt out. I find it easier to relax with a game like Crusader Kings 2 or Distant Worlds where I can just let the game run without a lot of thinking or input from me.

FC:RS is a fabulous game, and I really appreciate you adding more content. And free content at that. IMO FC:RS is the best wargame of the year. I did get a game of a Time to Dance as NATO in early this morning. I love how every time I play it, it turns out just a little differently. I'm about split even on my win loss ratio for it. In too many games each scenario plays out exactly the same every time you play it once you find the "perfect" deployment. The fact that each scenario plays out just a little differently each time in FC:RS is a real testament to the game design and the time you guys spent on it.

I would really like to see some scenarios where NATO is on the offensive. It doesn't have to be some grand counter attack scenario (although that could be fun as well  ;D), a scenario where you command NATO forces in a spoiling attack on the soviet flank/rear areas is what I want. I know NATO probably would have been on the defensive had the ball really dropped, but it would be a good change of game play from the constant do or die defensive actions.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 11:18:08 PM
Agreed. Some scenarios where NATO is on the attack would be great. The NATO strategy wasn't just to play rope-a-dope but to launch counter attacks in an attempt to disrupt soviet reinforcements and rear echelon reinforcement. Maybe a few large counter attack scenarios where NATO units attack a WP position in an attempt to cutoff front line units and destroy the WP Support troops (command, artillery)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Toonces on December 15, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
It's been Rising Storm all day today.

Guess who is 4 for 4 leading his team to victory as Team Leader?

BANZAI!!!111!!

8)
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Bison on December 15, 2013, 11:51:22 PM
Did some ass kicking with my Sith.  I love me some Star Wars.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: MetalDog on December 16, 2013, 12:15:17 AM
Warlock.  Everything max, eliminate all the mages as only VC.  Already have one down and at the gates of another.  Only Turn 91.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Anguille on December 16, 2013, 03:32:34 AM
Played some Darkstar One.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: BanzaiCat on December 16, 2013, 07:15:57 AM
Quote from: Toonces on December 15, 2013, 11:35:30 PM
BANZAI!!!111!!

8)

WHAT?!?!?!!!11!one
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: MengJiao on December 16, 2013, 09:28:26 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on December 13, 2013, 10:45:03 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on December 13, 2013, 09:49:01 AM
The release of the new version of the Third Age TW mod has me going back through my old version saves to maybe finish-up a campaign or two before trying out this new puppy. That's AFTER going to see the new Hobbit movie. So it's a "Middle-Earth" weekend for me. :)

Sounds fantastic.  (current favorite word = "fantastic"?)  I'm going to play ARMAIII looking at the new Independent army stuff (nice tank anyway). 

And probably some DCS World and probably whatever I can do with boardgames before my father-in-law comes to stay in the Man Loft.  He is sensible of the honor and deserves some recognition, I think.  Well, at least I know who he is.

What really happened?  No boardgames -- those are all packed up for the holidays (except of course Settlers of Catan which will be played a lot).
Interestingly, for reasons probably connected with the release of WOFF (which looks great, but I've got to keep some kind of restraint on flight sims or I will have them all and play none of them), I reloaded/re-installed RoF.  It has never been on the current machine so I was expecting some kind of license/DRM nightmare -- BUT no -- installation was just plain nice and painless.  And I got the FE-2b.  Now that is a nutty plane at least in its RoF form (how is it in WOFF?).  I'd read that it did badly against the Eindekker.  After flying the thing for a bit, I found that hard to believe -- the FE-2b is a weird monster and possibly over done in RoF.  I saw one  fly right though the falling wreckage of a Halberstadt.  It has no trouble at all with the Eindekker in RoF since it seems to be about 20 miles an hour faster -- and (after all) Max Immelmann was killed by a FE-2b so maybe the plane is the murderous beast that it seems to be.  And it carries a pretty good bombload so it's no wonder it kept flying even in 1917 at least as a night bomber.  Perhapas thankfully the field mods for it are pretty conservative in view of all the photos of FE-2bs packing 4 Lewis guns in pretty good arrangements.
Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Mad Russian on December 16, 2013, 06:31:08 PM
Quote from: Kushan on December 15, 2013, 09:17:43 PM
Quote from: Mad Russian on December 15, 2013, 08:25:31 PM
What is not holding your interest with FPC:RS? I've been working on adding content. Is there something you want to see that's not there? If so maybe I can put what you would like to see on my To Do List.

Or is this just a game preference issue?

In any case, thanks for buying the game. I hope it will come back on your play list soon.

As mikeck says, in this case its more of a preference issue. I've been working long weeks at work the last few months and its left me feeling more then a little burnt out. I find it easier to relax with a game like Crusader Kings 2 or Distant Worlds where I can just let the game run without a lot of thinking or input from me.

FC:RS is a fabulous game, and I really appreciate you adding more content. And free content at that. IMO FC:RS is the best wargame of the year. I did get a game of a Time to Dance as NATO in early this morning. I love how every time I play it, it turns out just a little differently. I'm about split even on my win loss ratio for it. In too many games each scenario plays out exactly the same every time you play it once you find the "perfect" deployment. The fact that each scenario plays out just a little differently each time in FC:RS is a real testament to the game design and the time you guys spent on it.

I would really like to see some scenarios where NATO is on the offensive. It doesn't have to be some grand counter attack scenario (although that could be fun as well  ;D), a scenario where you command NATO forces in a spoiling attack on the soviet flank/rear areas is what I want. I know NATO probably would have been on the defensive had the ball really dropped, but it would be a good change of game play from the constant do or die defensive actions.

The current campaign, that I'm working on, is for a 'stay behind' West German unit. All they do is attack. I do believe it contains several battles that include Soviet follow on forces. Unfortunately Matrix went on Christmas break before we could get the update to them. Some of the scenarios in the campaign need some of the fixes in the update. End result is that I'll have to release that campaign after the 1st of the year.

We are listening and we do respond when we can. As a scenario designer I don't really care which direction we go. Smaller, shorter, longer, tougher, attack, defend....etc...etc...etc...
To me it's all the same. I like creating new and challenging scenarios for all of us to play. After all, I get to play them first! :)

Thanks for the quick response. I do have some scenarios that I'm working that don't need an update to work for you guys for your Christmas gaming time. Hope you enjoy.

Good Hunting.

MR

Title: Re: How do you spell relief? F-R-I-D-A-Y!
Post by: Mad Russian on December 16, 2013, 06:33:10 PM
Quote from: mikeck on December 15, 2013, 11:18:08 PM
Agreed. Some scenarios where NATO is on the attack would be great. The NATO strategy wasn't just to play rope-a-dope but to launch counter attacks in an attempt to disrupt soviet reinforcements and rear echelon reinforcement. Maybe a few large counter attack scenarios where NATO units attack a WP position in an attempt to cutoff front line units and destroy the WP Support troops (command, artillery)

I agree. That's why not all the FPC:RS scenarios are NATO defend. Some of the more intense ones are either NATO attack or at the very least Meeting Engagements where NATO can at least maneuver on somewhat equal terms.

Have you looked through all the scenarios, or played them all yet?

Good Hunting.

MR