GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:23:25 AM

Title: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:23:25 AM
Sitting happily at my desktop last night, im looking at the icons for Arma III, CMANO, an as yet untouched EU4 and a rekindled CKII interest, a long with all the other paraphanalia that steals a few hours, and think i cant think of anything that im truly anticipating in 2014 - and then i saw this

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/02/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-1/

and thats just part 1, because i know theres others
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Bison on January 02, 2014, 06:30:02 AM
Only Galactic Civ 3 really interests me in their list of game previews. 
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:31:38 AM
not AOW III, Elite and Men of War II?
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2014, 07:08:12 AM
ouch.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 07:28:05 AM
is that a wallet bending ouch?
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: agathosdaimon on January 02, 2014, 07:43:24 AM
pretty looking but thats not what makes me buy games anymore - though hotline miami 2 -- thats fun mindless violence

there are upcoming slitherine/matrix games that interest me more
QVADRIGA
Sovereignty
Brother against Brother
Piercing Fortress Europa
GG War in the West
Warhammer 40k
World in Flames with AI

but Schwerpunkt Games newest offering WW2 Europe i think will be as good as War in the West if not actually better


also
Hegemony Rome - that interests me far more than rome 2 ever ever will

hoping also that Napoleons Campaigns 2 is published
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Shelldrake on January 02, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2014, 06:30:02 AM
Only Galactic Civ 3 really interests me in their list of game previews.

Same here. I didn't see Wasteland 2 on that list, which is also a must buy for me.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Bison on January 02, 2014, 08:05:40 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:31:38 AM
not AOW III, Elite and Men of War II?

No, Nah, and Nope.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 08:11:22 AM
Quote from: Shelldrake on January 02, 2014, 08:01:33 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2014, 06:30:02 AM
Only Galactic Civ 3 really interests me in their list of game previews.

Same here. I didn't see Wasteland 2 on that list, which is also a must buy for me.

this is part 1 remember - in another thread they just asked readers to list their most wanted and theres stuff in there i didnt even know - WG: Red Dragon for instance

then forgotten ones that look to be great like Clockwork Empire

Quote from: Bison on January 02, 2014, 08:05:40 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:31:38 AM
not AOW III, Elite and Men of War II?

No, Nah, and Nope.

Lol, back to your light sabre then?
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: bob48 on January 02, 2014, 08:18:30 AM
Warlock 2 is the only one that I'm really interested in.

....and Wolfenstein.

...and AoW 3.


...and a few of the others.......
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: tgb on January 02, 2014, 08:39:22 AM
Most-likely Day One purchases:

GalCiv 3
AoW 3
Witcher 3

Wait-and-see:

Thief 4
Endless Legend
Spacecom

I'm also expecting the floodgates to open for indie and Kickstarted projects, several of which I suspect will be better and more original than AAA titles from the big guys.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Gusington on January 02, 2014, 08:52:11 AM
I really hope Thief 4 will be worth buying.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Yskonyn on January 02, 2014, 09:01:07 AM
Jumped in on GalCiv 3 already.
Will buy AoW 3 on day one.
And I am super stoked for The Division.

The rest... meh. We'll see. Perhaps Star Citizen, although I highly doubt it will be a 2014 release.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 02, 2014, 09:10:17 AM
^That was my first thought too...a lot of the titles in that article seem to be way too early in development to be considered 2014 release material.  Maybe EARLY release, but as we have seen, that is not always much to get excited about.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: bbmike on January 02, 2014, 09:14:06 AM
Thanks for posting the link!
I agree GalCiv3 and AoW3 are must haves. And I didn't see Worlds of Magic listed but I want that one as well.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Mad Russian on January 02, 2014, 09:19:05 AM
Elite started the genre. It would be good to see what they've come up with after all this time.

Good Hunting.

MR
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: MengJiao on January 02, 2014, 12:08:56 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 02, 2014, 06:23:25 AM
Sitting happily at my desktop last night, im looking at the icons for Arma III, CMANO, an as yet untouched EU4 and a rekindled CKII interest, a long with all the other paraphanalia that steals a few hours, and think i cant think of anything that im truly anticipating in 2014 - and then i saw this

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/02/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-1/

and thats just part 1, because i know theres others

   Sadly, except for BOS and the new trends in Young singles ads at the bottom, none of this triggered much of a gamey response within me in my case.  Looks like I'll be spending more on trendy eyewear, snorkle parties and what not in the next year.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Kushan on January 02, 2014, 12:31:19 PM
Only a few games that will be day one purchases for me; Diablo 3 Soul Reaver, Hegemony: Rome, and Wasteland 3. Anything else is going to depend on reviews, time and money.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Nefaro on January 02, 2014, 12:58:56 PM
Meh.

The only one that really caught my eye was the Space Station 13 remake.  I never even came up with the time to play the original.

Well... I suppose Elite is a wait & see thing, so that qualifies as another.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: airboy on January 02, 2014, 03:25:48 PM
They also left out Xenonauts and Eschalon Book 3.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 02, 2014, 10:35:17 PM
The Division could be good...Titanfall...Age of Wonders 3...Watch Dogs......Wolfenstein...oh yeah, the River City Ransom sequel. That's probably my one 'Must have!', purely for nostalgic reasons.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Staggerwing on January 02, 2014, 10:49:08 PM
No love for 'No Man's Sky'? If the devs pull that one off then it could be the computer game version of an ever-changing frontier vacation home.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: MikeGER on January 03, 2014, 03:30:36 AM
in the article the phrase Oculus Rift was mentioned more then it might be good for the wallet  ;)
(well, has to be a working consumer version first, me better waiting even for the 'Oculus Rift 2' followup, its not a toy for early adaptors) 
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 04:12:54 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 02, 2014, 10:49:08 PM
No love for 'No Man's Sky'? If the devs pull that one off then it could be the computer game version of an ever-changing frontier vacation home.

A comedy of error happened to the dev over Christmas..... the town flooded, the pcs got fried and they found out they're not insured..... there's speculation that that's it..... They're done
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 05:04:05 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 04:12:54 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 02, 2014, 10:49:08 PM
No love for 'No Man's Sky'? If the devs pull that one off then it could be the computer game version of an ever-changing frontier vacation home.

A comedy of error happened to the dev over Christmas..... the town flooded, the pcs got fried and they found out they're not insured..... there's speculation that that's it..... They're done

What really? Or am I missing a joke?

Anyway, for their game it remained to be seen how much fun it is going to be as a game and not how awesome it is as a techdemo.
Admittedly, the scope of the game is pretty interesting from a technical standpoint.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 05:32:03 AM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-02-christmas-storms-flood-no-mans-sky-dev-hello-games

http://gamerant.com/hello-games-no-man-sky-office-flood/
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Bison on January 03, 2014, 06:03:11 AM
I forgot the game that I'm most looking forward too and hope is released in 2014....

Mount and Blade 2
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 03, 2014, 06:28:23 AM
Nice, sniper elite 3 is coming......sniper elite 2 was the only game I actually completed the entire game in all the games I have purchased in the last couple of years.  Can't wait for this one.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Yskonyn on January 03, 2014, 08:35:45 AM
Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2014, 06:03:11 AM
I forgot the game that I'm most looking forward too and hope is released in 2014....

Mount and Blade 2

+1!
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Martok on January 03, 2014, 04:00:35 PM
On that list, Age of Wonders III is the only game on my must-buy list.  Galactic Civilizations 3 *was* on my radar, but I mostly lost interest when it was revealed that battles will pretty much be the same, boring, hands-off affair that they were in GC2.  (I realize that's probably petty, but it was one of my main criticisms of GalCiv2 that I was hoping would be improved in the sequel). 


Games not on that list in the article (but that I'm looking forward, and supposed to be released this year) include Limit Theory, World of Magic, Predestination, Slitherine's Sovereignty: Crown of Kings, and M.O.R.E. 

Some of you may notice most of the titles I just mentioned are successfully-funded Kickstarter projects.  One way or the other, this is going to be a watershed year for me where Kickstarter is concerned. 




Quote from: Bison on January 03, 2014, 06:03:11 AM
I forgot the game that I'm most looking forward too and hope is released in 2014....

Mount and Blade 2
Oh my, I think I missed the announcement for that one! 

Will definitely have to keep an eye on this.  I've almost pulled the trigger on the first M&B numerous times; while I've never actually done so, I remain intrigued by its gameplay and large sandbox world. 

Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: RooksBailey on January 03, 2014, 04:31:53 PM
No surprise with some of the bigger names on that list (well, except for the mention of an April release for the first module of Star Citizen). but some smaller stuff was interesting. I am thrilled to hear TellTale is making a Borderlands point and click:



t's funny but the other day I was thinking that Borderlands has enough character and "soul" to be a TV show or movie. Looks like others are realizing the potential for more than just a shooter, too.  Come on, give us the next AMC series, too!
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 05:38:50 PM
Ditto on Mount and Blade 2.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 03:30:37 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/06/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-two/

Part 2, this for me is much more 'meh', apart from Pillars and Warlock II
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Martok on January 06, 2014, 04:02:04 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 03:30:37 PM
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/06/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-two/

Part 2, this for me is much more 'meh', apart from Pillars and Warlock II
I would add Divinity: Original Sin to your very short list, but otherwise I concur. 

Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 06, 2014, 05:47:47 PM
I've been following the development of Gridiron Solitaire on the dev's blog for quite some time, and it sounds like a neat little game, so I'm down for that as well. That's about it for this list.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2014, 05:59:02 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 03, 2014, 06:28:23 AM
Nice, sniper elite 3 is coming......sniper elite 2 was the only game I actually completed the entire game in all the games I have purchased in the last couple of years.  Can't wait for this one.

Bullet cam NEVER gets old.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2014, 06:07:11 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 06, 2014, 05:59:02 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 03, 2014, 06:28:23 AM
Nice, sniper elite 3 is coming......sniper elite 2 was the only game I actually completed the entire game in all the games I have purchased in the last couple of years.  Can't wait for this one.

Bullet cam NEVER gets old.

+1. Love that feature!
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2014, 06:08:31 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 06, 2014, 05:47:47 PM
I've been following the development of Gridiron Solitaire on the dev's blog for quite some time, and it sounds like a neat little game, so I'm down for that as well. That's about it for this list.

I was too....but seems like it has so e strange, non nfl rules so not sure I can go for that.
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 07, 2014, 10:47:53 AM
aaaaaaand Part III -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-three/#more-182797

more meh, except id forgotten all about Massive Chalice which i like the look of, and WG: Red Dragon
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Martok on January 07, 2014, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 07, 2014, 10:47:53 AM
aaaaaaand Part III -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-three/#more-182797

more meh, except id forgotten all about Massive Chalice which i like the look of, and WG: Red Dragon
Hmm.  Banished sounds interesting, at least in concept, but the rest I couldn't care less about. 

Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: undercovergeek on January 07, 2014, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: Martok on January 07, 2014, 11:01:45 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 07, 2014, 10:47:53 AM
aaaaaaand Part III -

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/the-spectacular-2014-preview-spectacular-part-three/#more-182797

more meh, except id forgotten all about Massive Chalice which i like the look of, and WG: Red Dragon
Hmm.  Banished sounds interesting, at least in concept, but the rest I couldn't care less about.

balls - forgot banished too
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 07, 2014, 12:55:40 PM
Absolutely nothing of interest there for me. If that's all 2014 has to offer, my wallet is safe (though I know it's not!)  :P
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 07, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 07, 2014, 12:55:40 PM
Absolutely nothing of interest there for me. If that's all 2014 has to offer, my wallet is safe (though I know it's not!)  :P

We now have you on record stating this:)  Nothing huge stands out for me either, but I probably said the same thing last year.  Not sure if they list everything from the non-mainstream publishers so probably lots of those waiting to be purchased next year:)
Title: Re: Incorrect Wallet Safety Assumption for 2014
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 07, 2014, 06:32:14 PM
The South Park RPG could be entertaining...or it will be an absolutely unfunny train wreck.