GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on January 03, 2014, 07:06:13 AM

Title: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: MetalDog on January 03, 2014, 07:06:13 AM
It seems like it took forever for Friday to get here and that it should only be Wednesday.  Both at the same time.  LOVE the holidays, but they mess up my internal clock.  Anyways, it'll be Avernum: Escape Fom the Pit for a while along with something else.  Warlock, Civ IV MP or maybe something else.  But there WILL be games!
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 07:34:44 AM
Just heading in to start the thread and here he is already!

There will be Rome 2, there will be CMANO, there will be ARMA III and some CK II.

Hoping also to get stuck into eu4 for the first time - thinking about Austria

Want to look at creating a persistent world in CMANO to aar about

Also want to get into some cqb mini missions for arma III

And seeing what happens next for oberto in ck II Parma -   having been born to a lowly count and struggling for some social standing for over a decade it looks like 3 duchys are up for grabs
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Tuna on January 03, 2014, 07:47:19 AM
First Game will be Shoveling all this SNOW!.... At least it's light and fluffy (I think).

Probably FSX (put my old Video Card back in my machine).

Maybe some Rome II (got back into my campaign when FSX was broken).

Some Sid Meier's Air Patrol in between Periods.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 03, 2014, 07:54:58 AM
I too am playing the snow shoveling game this morning.   But thankful I also got the snow day DLC, so once I unlock the coffee achievement it will be Rome II all day!
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Bison on January 03, 2014, 08:13:27 AM
SWTOR
Distant Worlds
State of Decay
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: tgb on January 03, 2014, 08:42:35 AM
One thing about Summers in Arizona - you don't have to shovel heat.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Tuna on January 03, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 03, 2014, 07:54:58 AM
I too am playing the snow shoveling game this morning.   But thankful I also got the snow day DLC, so once I unlock the coffee achievement it will be Rome II all day!

LOL. I remember when snow days used to mean Day Off!.. Now it means WFH.. will shovel at lunch.. Glad I got two boys to help!
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 03, 2014, 09:33:59 AM
Recently re-installed Supreme Commander and enjoying coop MP with a friend. What a wonderful game. Truly an innovative RTS.

Also prepping for our weekly Monday Night Tanks, Steel Beasts game.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: bboyer66 on January 03, 2014, 11:34:11 AM
Dont Starve = awesome survival game with a quirky art style

ARMA III=  Looks lovely and I am getting some nice frame rates (50fps+)

Just finished the Stanley Parable which I found mediocre at best. It has a unique story for sure, but all in all I was not blown away by it like some reviewers apparently were.





Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Shelldrake on January 03, 2014, 11:38:04 AM
Lots of snow to shovel here too and its still coming down! Once I finish I plan on some XCOM.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Rayfer on January 03, 2014, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 03, 2014, 11:34:11 AM
Dont Starve = awesome survival game with a quirky art style

ARMA III=  Looks lovely and I am getting some nice frame rates (50fps+)

Just finished the Stanley Parable which I found mediocre at best. It has a unique story for sure, but all in all I was not blown away by it like some reviewers apparently were.

I almost pulled the trigger on Stanley Parable yesterday, it was on sale at Steam for something like $9.00....but I didn't, it's a genre I have not played much over the years. The reviews all raved about it but I held off hoping for something better or for nothing at all and to play what I already have!
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 03, 2014, 12:16:13 PM
Some Iron Front MP on Saturday.
Some ArmA III MP on Sunday. 

Fly around in Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad for a bit. Play some more of my Fallen Enchantress and CMANO games.  Still fighting with the CMANO interface and AI mission routines more than I am with the enemy.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 03, 2014, 12:22:38 PM
Football Manager 2014
DTM Experience
F1 2013
Saints Row IV (probably)
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: WallysWorld on January 03, 2014, 12:30:49 PM
Combat Mission Afghanistan
Wargame European Escalation
WinSPMBT playing the 1989 World War 3 scenarios.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 12:44:07 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 03, 2014, 12:16:13 PM
Some Iron Front MP on Saturday.
Some ArmA III MP on Sunday. 

Fly around in Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad for a bit. Play some more of my Fallen Enchantress and CMANO games.  Still fighting with the CMANO interface and AI mission routines more than I am with the enemy.

Will probably see you there for arma III
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Airborne Rifles on January 03, 2014, 12:57:58 PM
Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm and probably some scenario designing for SPMBT, all after the family road trip to Niagara tomorrow.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Sir Slash on January 03, 2014, 01:13:19 PM
Do I get a day off because it's snowing where you are?  ::) Rome 2, CMFI, and a little Skyrim to go with the NFL Playoffs. And a few drinks to celebrate whoever wins whatever.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: PanzersEast on January 03, 2014, 01:36:02 PM
Let's see.....



I won Pandora from Space Sector drawing and also got SoSE Rebellion gifted to me so I will try out Star Trek Mod.


PE
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Wolfe1759 on January 03, 2014, 01:38:45 PM
Finally got round to buying Skyrim - Legendary Edition on the last day of the Steam sale so probably a fair bit of this and maybe some Strategic Command WWI Breakthrough or Commander : The Great War
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: bboyer66 on January 03, 2014, 01:51:32 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 03, 2014, 12:10:22 PM
Quote from: bboyer66 on January 03, 2014, 11:34:11 AM
Dont Starve = awesome survival game with a quirky art style

ARMA III=  Looks lovely and I am getting some nice frame rates (50fps+)

Just finished the Stanley Parable which I found mediocre at best. It has a unique story for sure, but all in all I was not blown away by it like some reviewers apparently were.

I almost pulled the trigger on Stanley Parable yesterday, it was on sale at Steam for something like $9.00....but I didn't, it's a genre I have not played much over the years. The reviews all raved about it but I held off hoping for something better or for nothing at all and to play what I already have!

Its  not bad for what it is. It lasts about 2 hours and after you are done, you think ......well that was different.
Its in no way a game though. Its an interactive 3D story. If you like stuff like Dear Ester you wil enjoy it.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: vyshka on January 03, 2014, 02:20:20 PM
Football Manager 2014
Dominions 4
Diablo 3 on the PS3
Flashpoint Campaigns

or most likely Preparing Beta Release for Work.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Anguille on January 03, 2014, 03:24:57 PM
It's going to be:

- Darkstar One
and¨
- Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, playing the humans.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Kushan on January 03, 2014, 04:57:13 PM
Between spending time at the hospital and work I'm not sure how much time I'm going to have to play anything weekend. The last few weeks I've been having trouble getting a game to hold my attention for more then a few hours so any gaming I do get it will most likely be for an hour or two before moving onto something else.

Europa Universalis 4 - Continue my current game as Austria. I started a game earlier in the week but the HRE nations were being uncharacteristically  passive so I decided to restart so see if it was just that game or if it was as AI tweak on Paradox's part

Command - Finish up my Red Storm Rising Keflavik air sweep scenario, and start putting an OOB together for a Dance of the Vampires scenario.

Flashpoint Campaigns - Want to try and get at least one ore two more entries done for the contest done.

Rome 2 - Start a new campaign with the Caesar in Gaul DLC. My first game as Caesar ended very disastrously.

ArmA 3 - Started the campaign on Monday. Its not too bad from what I've experienced so far

Maybe an hour or two into Diablo 3, Distant Worlds, or Forza 5 if I don't have time to get into deep into anything above.

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 07:34:44 AM
Hoping also to get stuck into eu4 for the first time - thinking about Austria

I would start outwith someone like France or Castille. France has almost unlimited manpower, and Castile offers up a bit of everything (colonization, European politics, trade, etc). Austria is fun, its probably my favorite nation to play, but in my experience the Austrian game is more about fighting internal HRE wars and protecting HRE territory then out right  conquest for your own. That's not to say that you can't keep the provinces that you liberate, but its usually in your best interest to release a one province nation rather then to keep it for yourself in order to get the boost to imperial authority. Once you pass a few reforms, especially the one that allows the HRE to always be inherited by the same country, then you can do almost anything you like. Defending the HRe from Burgundy, France, Hungary, Denmark or the Ottomans wasn't exactly the easiest tasks I've ever done.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: W8taminute on January 03, 2014, 05:19:03 PM
Today I committed several snowblower battalions on the driveway front.  The situation was snafu for a while but reinforcements did arrive and helped pushed back the snow onslaught.  Two regiments of kiddy shovel toting infantry showed up and wiped out the last vestiges of resistance.  Shortly afterwards I withdrew one snowblower battalion to assault Festung Dunkin' Donuts.  The war booty consisted of a medium regular and a bag of half a dozen munchkins.  It was glorious!!
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Gusington on January 03, 2014, 05:19:30 PM
Was called into work for an hour today! Byotches.

Anyway, I was originally planning on a CoH2 weekend but after three missions and a couple of hours with it, I think its way too fast and frenetic for me. Or I'm just getting old.

Fortunately I've been pleasantly surprised and tickled by Panzer Corps. Finished all the tutorials and I'm feeling ready for some Operation Barbarossa to match the setting outside.

Also interested in Blackguards...
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Toonces on January 03, 2014, 05:36:58 PM
The only game I'm committing to is Skyrim.

I might fire up Stonekeep, CK2, and BMS Falcon at some point as well.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Martok on January 03, 2014, 06:34:06 PM
I know I won't get to all of these, but this is what I'm thinking right now: 

Pandora
Rome II
Crusader Kings II
Distant Worlds





Quote from: PanzersEast on January 03, 2014, 01:36:02 PM
I won Pandora from Space Sector drawing and also got SoSE Rebellion gifted to me so I will try out Star Trek Mod.


PE
Ah, I didn't realize you were one of the lucky winners.  Congrats PE! 

Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: MetalDog on January 03, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
Shouldn't you be in bed?  With the nesting spiders?  (Sorry.  I couldn't resist.)
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Rizik6 on January 03, 2014, 07:33:58 PM
Continue with my Dwarf Bulwark in Tales of Maj'Eyal. And also pick something from my e-stack new Steam games.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: mikeck on January 03, 2014, 09:18:10 PM
Playing Flashpoint campaigns
Rome 2 Caesar in Gaul (which is tough...I can't raise enough money to raise the legions I need)
X3:AP
And I may try to fire up the tutorial of Histwar: Napoleon again...everyone says it's a good tutorial but I have trouble following as it was written for the previous game.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: MengJiao on January 03, 2014, 10:30:14 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 08:42:35 AM
One thing about Summers in Arizona - you don't have to shovel heat.


OH...Birth of Rome, RoF, DCS, ARMAIII,CMFI
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: tgb on January 04, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: tgb on January 04, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.

Excellent.

Thanks tgb!  :)
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Martok on January 04, 2014, 01:13:22 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 03, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
Shouldn't you be in bed?  With the nesting spiders?  (Sorry.  I couldn't resist.)
I only wish I'd been in bed at that time yesterday (spiders or no).  It would've meant I got more than 3 hours of sleep.  :( 

Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 04, 2014, 01:18:13 PM
I still haven't played any games!

I DID just finish (more or less) a review of RAF, so technically I've been thinking about them and going through them...but play? Not so much.  :(
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot, and finally got Wings Over Flanders Fields loaded :)
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 04, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot

You're a better man than I. I just can't grok to spending twenty bucks for an iPad app, and then if you want more content to have to spend what, another $80 for it all? That's insane for one game.

I finally did play a game - XCom Enemy Unknown. I don't know why but I got it for my iPad, even though I have it on the PC, but not currently installed - it's a hard drive hog and I'm trying to husband what space I have left (not much).
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:59:33 PM
I hear you, but I've only got the original game and the '41 DLC. Brings me back 20 years to Panzer General on the original PlayStation with more gooder graphics, but just as fun.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 06:17:24 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 04, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot

You're a better man than I. I just can't grok to spending twenty bucks for an iPad app, and then if you want more content to have to spend what, another $80 for it all? That's insane for one game.

I finally did play a game - XCom Enemy Unknown. I don't know why but I got it for my iPad, even though I have it on the PC, but not currently installed - it's a hard drive hog and I'm trying to husband what space I have left (not much).

I agree with everything in this post. However, I did spring for Panzer Corp on my iPad and it has definitely seen the most hours of game play than any other mobile game I have every purchased. If the price of a game correlates to the amount of time you play it, then I would say I've got my money's worth.

I also struggle with managing space on my iPad. There just is not enough of it for these AAA games. I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling in an effort to find the best balance. Then, when one of these games needs to be updated, I have to delete something else to free up the space. Total pain in the butt?
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 04, 2014, 06:31:08 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

I also struggle with managing space on my iPad. There just is not enough of it for these AAA games. I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling in an effort to find the best balance. Then, when one of these games needs to be updated, I have to delete something else to free up the space. Total pain in the butt?

This, absolutely. My iPad is 16GB, and I'm not complaining - I really enjoy it. It's a pain to manage apps, though. This Christmas I got a slew of iTunes cards and I've even uninstalled some games I initially bought to make room for more! It's a tough decision to make, even if I can come back and reinstall it.

On top of that, I forget that I had certain games. Like Bard's Tale - when I searched for Baldur's Gate it popped up next to it and I had forgotten I had that game on at one time.

Ah well - first world problems.

I wouldn't mind trying out PC if it has a lite version - that might convince me, but until the price drops or that happens, I'm staying away from it. And I loved this game on the PS1 and PC back in the day.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 06:39:28 PM
Party pooper.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 04, 2014, 06:45:12 PM
That defecates the purpose.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 04, 2014, 08:31:47 PM
What a surprising turd of events.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: mikeck on January 04, 2014, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 04, 2014, 04:05:52 AM
Quote from: tgb on January 04, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.

Excellent.

Thanks tgb!  :)

I looked at some gameplay videos. It looks like all you do is fight and then go to a cut scene, then fight and back to a cut scene. Is there any walking around and exploring? I love to fight but a lot of the fun in these games comes from just exploring the world.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 12:39:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 05:49:02 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.

It's on my to do list of 2014 to get my money's worth from this
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: mikeck on January 06, 2014, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 05, 2014, 11:17:43 PM
For no real good reason I finally decided to spend some time learning Wargame: AirLand Battle.  It took a bit of an investment of time, but I think I'm starting to understand it a little bit.  It doesn't help that I really don't know the nuances between most of the ground vehicles, so picking the right tool for the job has been challenging.

I'm playing through the first, easy campaign right now.  I'm not doing a very good job of it, but I am starting to understand the gist of the game.

It's not as clicky as I expected, but then again I'm playing small 2500 or less point battles so far.

I just started trying to figure this one out as well. For me, it's not so much that it is a continual click fest because it's not...it's once combat starts. It goes so fast I can't tell what's going in. I end up click dragging and attacking  and by that time, I'm dead.

I'm going to keep trying ..just like my endless space experience
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 06, 2014, 09:10:19 AM
The biggest challenge in this game for a newcomer is to understand the units' strengths and weaknesses. It rather boils down to something like rock-paper-scissors, in essence. I know that's oversimplifying it, but that's my perspective.
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 03:01:37 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

After playing it some more this morning, I think I agree with you. I've got exploring the castle down rather well but its still instant kill as soon as I run into a boss or mini boss. At this point all I can do is to keep doing gold runs and hope I get enough to get a health upgrade. Its the worse part of the grinding in Diablo 3 (although from my experience on the PTR this weekend they seem to have solved the gear drop problem most people had with D3).
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 06, 2014, 05:45:11 PM
Quote from: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 12:39:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.

Well...yeah. It's a roguelike. And as you play through, your characters improve.  ;D
Title: Re: Do they know it's Friday after all?
Post by: Nefaro on January 07, 2014, 03:04:34 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 06, 2014, 12:39:21 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 06, 2014, 12:19:32 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 05, 2014, 11:30:51 PM
I used some Gamersgate blue coins and got Rogue Legacy. I've been eying it on Steam for a few months but its currently $5 at GG. Starts out rather difficult (could just because I suck at platformers) but it is still fun. Happy I finally got my Xbox 360 controller to work on my PC.

I couldn't survive long enough to enjoy it. 

I generally haven't played any platformers since the original Nintendo days, except maybe Terraria but that one doesn't feel quite so platformer to me.   Rogue Legacy, however, murderizes me in record time.  Every time.  I can't get enough loot to buy anything - maybe once I got some very minor upgrade.  Even using a 360 controller didn't help.  I don't think I made it past three rooms in. 

Normally I catch on quick to most games, and can even manage the twitchy stuff well enough, but RL was the death of me.  I gave up.

Yea. It is a frustrating game at times. I have all the starter armor/weapons/runes I can buy, go into what I'm assuming is the first the bosses room and get killed in one shot. But I have noticed every time I go into the dungeon I'm doing a little better.


The reason I quit was because I wasn't getting better.  I thought it extremely odd.  We always get better at something, the more experience we have.  But not this.  I walked away in shame after attempting to get better for about an hour and a half.  :(