Do they know it's Friday after all?

Started by MetalDog, January 03, 2014, 07:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rizik6

Continue with my Dwarf Bulwark in Tales of Maj'Eyal. And also pick something from my e-stack new Steam games.

mikeck

Playing Flashpoint campaigns
Rome 2 Caesar in Gaul (which is tough...I can't raise enough money to raise the legions I need)
X3:AP
And I may try to fire up the tutorial of Histwar: Napoleon again...everyone says it's a good tutorial but I have trouble following as it was written for the previous game.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

MengJiao

Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 08:42:35 AM
One thing about Summers in Arizona - you don't have to shovel heat.


OH...Birth of Rome, RoF, DCS, ARMAIII,CMFI

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on January 04, 2014, 03:29:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 03, 2014, 01:19:52 PM
Quote from: tgb on January 03, 2014, 07:52:58 AM
Blackguards and Wizardry 8 for sure.  Perhaps some Rise of Venice aswell.

I expect a report on Blackguards.  :)

It's very good and quite polished for an "early access" game.  It's essentially a series of deep turn-based tactical battles broken up by occasional forays into towns to regain health and upgrade equipment.  It's not completely linear, but it's not an open world game either.  I would compare it to Temple of Elemental Evil, but instead of D&D it uses the ruleset of Germany's "Dark Eye" games (Drakensang, Realms of Arkania), so character building is also very deep.  There are no technical issues that I can see. and other than some of the locations having placeholder text, and some balance issues, you'd never know it was a beta. The story is broken into chapters, and the developers are saying that the fifth and final chapter will be released the end of this month, and the game will be "finished".  From what I can tell they've been very good about sticking to their announced schedule so far.

Excellent.

Thanks tgb!  :)

Martok

Quote from: MetalDog on January 03, 2014, 06:38:00 PM
Shouldn't you be in bed?  With the nesting spiders?  (Sorry.  I couldn't resist.)
I only wish I'd been in bed at that time yesterday (spiders or no).  It would've meant I got more than 3 hours of sleep.  :( 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I still haven't played any games!

I DID just finish (more or less) a review of RAF, so technically I've been thinking about them and going through them...but play? Not so much.  :(

Gusington

Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot, and finally got Wings Over Flanders Fields loaded :)
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot

You're a better man than I. I just can't grok to spending twenty bucks for an iPad app, and then if you want more content to have to spend what, another $80 for it all? That's insane for one game.

I finally did play a game - XCom Enemy Unknown. I don't know why but I got it for my iPad, even though I have it on the PC, but not currently installed - it's a hard drive hog and I'm trying to husband what space I have left (not much).

Gusington

I hear you, but I've only got the original game and the '41 DLC. Brings me back 20 years to Panzer General on the original PlayStation with more gooder graphics, but just as fun.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 04, 2014, 05:52:57 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:39:37 PM
Enjoying Panzer Corps a lot

You're a better man than I. I just can't grok to spending twenty bucks for an iPad app, and then if you want more content to have to spend what, another $80 for it all? That's insane for one game.

I finally did play a game - XCom Enemy Unknown. I don't know why but I got it for my iPad, even though I have it on the PC, but not currently installed - it's a hard drive hog and I'm trying to husband what space I have left (not much).

I agree with everything in this post. However, I did spring for Panzer Corp on my iPad and it has definitely seen the most hours of game play than any other mobile game I have every purchased. If the price of a game correlates to the amount of time you play it, then I would say I've got my money's worth.

I also struggle with managing space on my iPad. There just is not enough of it for these AAA games. I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling in an effort to find the best balance. Then, when one of these games needs to be updated, I have to delete something else to free up the space. Total pain in the butt?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 06:17:24 PM

I also struggle with managing space on my iPad. There just is not enough of it for these AAA games. I'm constantly deleting and reinstalling in an effort to find the best balance. Then, when one of these games needs to be updated, I have to delete something else to free up the space. Total pain in the butt?

This, absolutely. My iPad is 16GB, and I'm not complaining - I really enjoy it. It's a pain to manage apps, though. This Christmas I got a slew of iTunes cards and I've even uninstalled some games I initially bought to make room for more! It's a tough decision to make, even if I can come back and reinstall it.

On top of that, I forget that I had certain games. Like Bard's Tale - when I searched for Baldur's Gate it popped up next to it and I had forgotten I had that game on at one time.

Ah well - first world problems.

I wouldn't mind trying out PC if it has a lite version - that might convince me, but until the price drops or that happens, I'm staying away from it. And I loved this game on the PS1 and PC back in the day.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat


Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys