GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: SgtRock on January 04, 2014, 12:47:22 PM

Title: Steam Down Again?
Post by: SgtRock on January 04, 2014, 12:47:22 PM
Can't connect Error code - 102

Can't even connect to their web site
http://www.steampowered.com

Some rumors Steam is under attack by hackers!! ???
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 04, 2014, 12:53:14 PM
Looks like the Storefront is down. My games list is there and I can see who is online from my friends list.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 04, 2014, 01:28:58 PM
I've been having issues with steam for a few days now. Store page has trouble loading, difficulty getting into forums, etc.  Games are running fine though <knocking on wood>
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 04, 2014, 01:29:42 PM
Same for me.  Games are running, but the store and community are hit and miss.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 04, 2014, 01:55:46 PM
It's up right now as I post (13:55pm EST), both on the client and at the web page. For how long...  :-\
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: MetalDog on January 04, 2014, 02:49:56 PM
I was just using the Voice Chat, but, last night, I couldn't access any of my games.  Haven't tried today though.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Rayfer on January 04, 2014, 04:33:12 PM
Appears it is under some sort of hacker attack.  Found this on the Strategy Informer website. http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/26746/steam-hit-by-ddos-attacks
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: W8taminute on January 04, 2014, 04:47:32 PM
I just logged in and am about to launch MTW2.  Let's see if I get hacked attacked.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Gusington on January 04, 2014, 05:35:29 PM
Seems fine on my PC...
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 04, 2014, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 04, 2014, 04:33:12 PM
Appears it is under some sort of hacker attack.  Found this on the Strategy Informer website. http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/26746/steam-hit-by-ddos-attacks

It should be legal to track down script kiddies and beat the ever living sh*t out of them. Welcome to repercussions, worthless douchebags.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: W8taminute on January 05, 2014, 02:07:11 PM
Ok today I can't log in for some reason.  The Steamapp isn't even firing up.  I'm going to try rebooting my system just in case it's a problem between the keyboard the and the user.


And Arctic you're right.  I wish it was possible to zero in on hackers locations and fire for effect.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 05, 2014, 02:20:00 PM
The storefront is slow but does come up. And all must nearly be right in the Steamverse because LB is playing Orcs must Die 2 as I type this.  ;D
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: W8taminute on January 05, 2014, 02:21:11 PM
Operation successful.  Rebooting did the trick for me.  I just logged in and then back out and Stagger I saw LB playing Orcs must Die as well.  All is indeed right with the universe.   :)
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 05, 2014, 02:21:11 PM
I saw LB playing Orcs must Die as well.  All is indeed right with the universe.   :)

My new strategy wasn't working so I rage quit.

The blizzard outside is making me stir crazy. I got my quota of NFL football yesterday and now have nothing to look forward to but more football or reruns of Property Brothers.

Maybe I need to go and paint some minis. Electronics aren't cutting it for me today.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: MetalDog on January 05, 2014, 02:33:54 PM
Hold to your resolution, LB.  Go paint those minis.
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Marty Ward on January 05, 2014, 02:34:38 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 02:31:06 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 05, 2014, 02:21:11 PM
I saw LB playing Orcs must Die as well.  All is indeed right with the universe.   :)

My new strategy wasn't working so I rage quit.

The blizzard outside is making me stir crazy. I got my quota of NFL football yesterday and now have nothing to look forward to but more football or reruns of Property Brothers.

Maybe I need to go and paint some minis. Electronics aren't cutting it for me today.

Try some tequila, it always brightens my day :)
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Gusington on January 05, 2014, 04:20:34 PM
Careful LB...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fprettycleverfilms.com%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F10%2Fjack-nicholson-in-the-shining.jpg&hash=978e839de02453fe3c6f4d1d6c081670fa3a703b)
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: Nefaro on January 05, 2014, 05:43:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 02:31:06 PM


Maybe I need to go and paint some minis. Electronics aren't cutting it for me today.

I have a bunch of Cold War era jets that need painting.  You can do those for me.  :P
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 06:07:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 05, 2014, 05:43:31 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 02:31:06 PM


Maybe I need to go and paint some minis. Electronics aren't cutting it for me today.

I have a bunch of Cold War era jets that need painting.  You can do those for me.  :P

That reminds me. I've still got a model sitting around here that's about 90% finished then needs paint. Thanks!
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: LongBlade on January 05, 2014, 06:09:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 05, 2014, 04:20:34 PM
Careful LB...

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fprettycleverfilms.com%2Ffiles%2F2013%2F10%2Fjack-nicholson-in-the-shining.jpg&hash=978e839de02453fe3c6f4d1d6c081670fa3a703b)

<chuckle> (in a non-threatening way. seriously. what? this axe? it's nothing.)
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: SgtRock on January 05, 2014, 06:11:43 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on January 04, 2014, 10:32:22 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on January 04, 2014, 04:33:12 PM
Appears it is under some sort of hacker attack.  Found this on the Strategy Informer website. http://www.strategyinformer.com/news/26746/steam-hit-by-ddos-attacks

It should be legal to track down script kiddies and beat the ever living sh*t out of them. Welcome to repercussions, worthless douchebags.

It's very difficult to track down attacks by pros because, most are planned weeks/months in advance by infected dummy computers/servers, some behind multiple proxy servers with spoofed IP address from around the world. Some attacks don't even attack the severs but, the networks & networking devices. When the attacks happen., the attackers sometimes aren't even on-line and the original networks used to setup the attacks are long gone! These days, it could very well be some government/agency playing with one of their new toys!





Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: SgtRock on January 09, 2014, 12:42:16 PM
Here's some info on the attack that hit game servers, although it doesn't mention Steam, Steam has yet to release any info.


http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/dos-attacks-that-took-down-big-game-sites-abused-webs-time-synch-protocol/
Title: Re: Steam Down Again?
Post by: LongBlade on January 09, 2014, 01:20:10 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on January 09, 2014, 12:42:16 PM
Here's some info on the attack that hit game servers, although it doesn't mention Steam, Steam has yet to release any info.


http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/dos-attacks-that-took-down-big-game-sites-abused-webs-time-synch-protocol/

Why can't they just leave people alone?