GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: RooksBailey on January 08, 2014, 04:16:36 PM

Title: Alien: Isolation
Post by: RooksBailey on January 08, 2014, 04:16:36 PM
Creative Assembly's next big IP:



Please be good....
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 04:22:01 PM
I think this could be a great game for some people, but it is not the game I desperately want to see made.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on January 08, 2014, 07:10:16 PM
RPS got their hands on it, sounds creepy:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/alien-isolation-pc/

I wonder if that means there will be no TW releases this year, DLC, expansions or otherwise...
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: RooksBailey on January 08, 2014, 08:54:57 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 04:22:01 PM
I think this could be a great game for some people, but it is not the game I desperately want to see made.

I am going to remain cautiously pessimistic on this one seeing how a) most movie-to-game translations utterly fail, & b) CA's record with non-TW titles, and now even with TW titles, is spotty.  Having said that, if they were going to make an Alien-based game, I think this is the way to do it.  Ridley Scott always described the original Alien as a "haunted house movie in space", so this game-design approach would seem to be well suited for it.   As that RPS article mentions (thanks Gusington!), this game is designed around frights more than fighting, so that could be fun and interesting.

I am curious: what type of game do you want to see made?
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on January 08, 2014, 10:03:19 PM
Sure thing.

I know your question wasn't directed towards me, but am I wrong to admit I actually enjoyed Colonial Marines? I bought it for 5.00 IIRC, played it for a couple of hours, and enjoyed it.

A haunted house in space type game (like System Shock, Dead Space and now this) also works for me. And I have always loved the Alien franchise.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 08, 2014, 10:09:23 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on January 08, 2014, 08:54:57 PM

I am curious: what type of game do you want to see made?

Marines dude, Marines! With guns...lots of guns!
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Steelgrave on January 09, 2014, 12:05:45 PM
Loved the RPS article, especially how the reviewer compared the demo to Amnesia. Wouldn't it be awesome if they finally got this one right?
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2014, 12:11:21 PM
Yes indeed. Weird that it is coming from CA though...trying to diversify their portfolio I guess.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: BanzaiCat on July 10, 2014, 05:30:57 PM
I only noticed this game just now when it appeared in the store advertising on Steam.

It looks pretty good, if you're into the running-and-hiding genre of games like Outlast. It seems the Nostromo and one Alien is perfect fodder for this kind of experience, though. Considering the Marines vs Alien thing has been done over and over again, this might be a decent return to the series.

Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 10, 2014, 08:52:26 PM
I think it looks pretty good.  Kinda cool that they got the actors from the original film to do voice work for the DLC.  Kinda lame that you have to pre-order the game to get that DLC.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sega-pleases-enrages-alien-fans-with-isolations-pr/1100-4951/ (http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sega-pleases-enrages-alien-fans-with-isolations-pr/1100-4951/)
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 11, 2014, 04:21:53 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 10, 2014, 08:52:26 PM
I think it looks pretty good.  Kinda cool that they got the actors from the original film to do voice work for the DLC.  Kinda lame that you have to pre-order the game to get that DLC.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sega-pleases-enrages-alien-fans-with-isolations-pr/1100-4951/ (http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/sega-pleases-enrages-alien-fans-with-isolations-pr/1100-4951/)

Kinda lame that it's DLC in the first place.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: MengJiao on July 11, 2014, 10:11:18 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 08, 2014, 07:10:16 PM
RPS got their hands on it, sounds creepy:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/07/alien-isolation-pc/

I wonder if that means there will be no TW releases this year, DLC, expansions or otherwise...

  The review (linked in the above) had me laughing very hard:

   http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/12/wot-i-think-aliens-colonial-marines-single-player/



Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Toonces on July 11, 2014, 09:55:08 PM
The trailer was pretty awesome, but I'm going to make the call now:  The game is going to suck.

How do I know?  Because they always, ALWAYS drop the ball on these types of games.  Always.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on July 12, 2014, 10:19:56 AM
If it doesn't suck will you buy me a copy?
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Greybriar on January 09, 2015, 08:27:34 PM
GamersGate is offering a 50% off sale for Alien: Isolation (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-ALIENI/alien-isolation) ($25.00) and Alien: Isolation Season Pass (http://www.gamersgate.com/DLC-AISP/alien-isolation-season-pass) ($15.00).


Although I haven't played a game of its type for years, the video above certainly makes me want to give the game a try.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 09, 2015, 10:00:23 PM
Quote from: Toonces on July 11, 2014, 09:55:08 PM
The trailer was pretty awesome, but I'm going to make the call now:  The game is going to suck.

How do I know?  Because they always, ALWAYS drop the ball on these types of games.  Always.

And what say you now?
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on January 09, 2015, 10:09:44 PM
^O snap...a challenge.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Toonces on January 09, 2015, 11:22:34 PM
 :-[
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 10, 2015, 09:51:10 AM
No, I wasn't meaning to call Toonces out on it. I was genuinely curious what his opinion was now. I assume by the :-[ that he loves it(?).

I still don't own it and can only speak to my experience of watching LP videos of the entire game, which is good enough for me. I really don't need to shit my chair playing this game.  :-\
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Gusington on January 10, 2015, 11:06:07 AM
I do.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Huw the Poo on January 11, 2015, 02:51:10 AM
I get the impression that the general consensus is "pleasantly surprised".  Apparently it turned out to be a pretty good survival horror.  The LP videos I've seen are certainly impressive.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 11, 2015, 05:06:07 AM
I keep wanting to play it, but my first encounter with a xenomorph totally freaked me out. So I haven't been back yet!
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 11, 2015, 08:46:32 AM
One of my co-workers has been playing it on his Occulus Rift.  He keeps hitting himself on his furniture when he plays and comes in all bruised.  I really wish I could use the Rift myself but sadly you need two fully functioning eyeballs for it to work.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Staggerwing on January 11, 2015, 08:59:57 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 11, 2015, 08:46:32 AM
I really wish I could use the Rift myself but sadly you need two fully functioning eyeballs for it to work.

Amblyopia?
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 11, 2015, 09:26:26 AM
Nope. Damaged optic nerve from the left eye to the brain.  20/100 vision in that eye and it can't be fixed with "lasers".

I did go through all the joys of eye patches and even surgery as a kid before the quacks realized it wasn't amblyopia though so that was fun.
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Staggerwing on January 11, 2015, 09:33:50 AM
Sorry to hear that.  :(
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: Toonces on January 11, 2015, 01:55:01 PM
I haven't played it, BC, but is surely doesn't look like it sucks.  Basically I was completely wrong!   :)
Title: Re: Alien: Isolation
Post by: endfire79 on January 11, 2015, 02:46:34 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 11, 2015, 08:46:32 AM
One of my co-workers has been playing it on his Occulus Rift.  He keeps hitting himself on his furniture when he plays and comes in all bruised.  I really wish I could use the Rift myself but sadly you need two fully functioning eyeballs for it to work.
Ouch !