GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on January 17, 2014, 07:03:52 AM

Title: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 17, 2014, 07:03:52 AM
It seems that the only thing my computer knows how to run recently is Avernum: Escape From the Pit.  Which is fine by me.  My characters are level 22, we are cutting through giants like a hot knife through butter and I am still trying to decide what direction I am going to go, help the Empire or help Avernum?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Rekim on January 17, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
I'm working this weekend and will miss the gathering of the local wargaming group on Saturday, which kind of sucks (would have played another round of FAB The Bulge).

On the upside, I'm beta testing VG Carrier for the iPad and will be keeping my tablet close by  ;)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 17, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Quote from: Rekim on January 17, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
On the upside, I'm beta testing VG Carrier for the iPad and will be keeping my tablet close by  ;)


:o Wait, what?!? :o

What is it like? Can we see screenies? When will it be ready for the unwashed masses?

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not help with the cleanup!

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 07:38:30 AM
Working Sunday but Saturday should be all about EUIV - ive amanged to achieve the elusive alliance with Burgundy as Austria, with that covered i can go hunting for Hungary or France - decisions, decisions
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 17, 2014, 08:12:00 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 17, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Quote from: Rekim on January 17, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
On the upside, I'm beta testing VG Carrier for the iPad and will be keeping my tablet close by  ;)


:o Wait, what?!? :o

What is it like? Can we see screenies? When will it be ready for the unwashed masses?

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not help with the cleanup!

Yeah, slow down there, slugger. Share something!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Anguille on January 17, 2014, 08:36:43 AM
I will be playing mostly Darkstar One....currentely stuck in a mission where i have to help someone. By checking youtube aars, i noticed how bad my weapons are...maybe i'll have to go back to previous save and buy some better weapons...does someone know what kind of weapon fires something like a circle? Looks very powerfull.

Otherwise, Armada 2526 Supernova pbem and will also finish my quatre-bras battle in Fields of Glory.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Darkspire on January 17, 2014, 08:44:53 AM
Will be playing Distant Worlds and working on my theme for it and if I have the time, NOLF GOTYE.

Darkspire
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 08:46:01 AM
Finally, after weeks of anticipation and delay, I am able to paint my entire body in blue woad, charge down from the virtual highlands and kick some Roman arse in a Radious modded Rome 2 campaign as the Iceni. Glorious.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 08:47:06 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 08:46:01 AM
Finally, after weeks of anticipation and delay, I am able to paint my entire body in blue woad, charge down from the virtual highlands and kick some Roman arse in a Radious modded Rome 2 campaign as the Iceni. Glorious.

lol, bout time - let us know how it goes
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 08:48:49 AM
OCD keeps me from my full gaming potential. I hope to name my first few veteran units after you and Bawb.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 17, 2014, 08:57:49 AM
Stagger (and anyone else that didn't know and do care),

Found this link over at BGG regarding the VG Carrier iPad version:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1095748/ipad-version

Don't get your hopes up - apparently they've closed beta testing. :(

Still, some cool screenshots to check out over there.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Nefaro on January 17, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
Some Marvel Heroes Online for some simple action rpg ultra-violence (me droogies).  Interspersed with WOFF if I want to get serious and clad myself with pc hardware.  I may also take give Space Hulk it's first play, or maybe some Occult Chronicles for turn-based stuff.

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Martok on January 17, 2014, 09:21:33 AM
Some more Rome II for sure, continuing my Athens campaign.  Am currently at war with Epirus, with Macedon hopefully on my hit list after that.  Gotta get an alliance with Spart first, though! 

Also, since I'm in a medieval-period sort of mood, I'm thinking maybe a little Medieval Total War/Viking Invasion (XL mod) as well.  I haven't played as the English in quite some time (it's probably been literally years), and I'm feeling an itch to rectify that. 

Finally, I'm going to get back to Birth of the Federation; I haven't played a whole lot of it lately.  Going to give the Cardassians another run, and if I get an interesting enough start, I'm thinking I'll turn it into an AAR. 

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Second Chapter in ARMA 3 campaign, "Adapt"; Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; Kill Zone: Shadow Fall; and Planetary Annihilation.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: tgb on January 17, 2014, 09:27:08 AM
Banner Saga, which I really like a lot and keep going back to.  If I can pull myself away, I may give the Sons of Abraham expansion for CKII some real time.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MengJiao on January 17, 2014, 09:34:28 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Second Chapter in ARMA 3 campaign, "Adapt"; Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance; Kill Zone: Shadow Fall; and Planetary Annihilation.


ARMAIII...pulled in by an unfinished scenario: NATO and the insurrgents can't get the Regular Green Army out of Sytra.  they can hang on with two tanks and two APCs and a few machine guns and AT missiles.  I'm sure attack helicopters will wipe them out, so that's no fun.

AND RoF and Rome II and maybe CMFI.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 17, 2014, 09:35:12 AM
No idea, really. Too much I WANT to do and too little time...

I'm expecting my shipment of Space Marine: Death Angel to arrive by Saturday evening, so I expect to be pawing through that at least.

Need to keep working on Field Commander: Alexander.

Also want to try to get into both Covert Action for AAR purposes and try a little Birth of the Federation, specifically the "All Ages" mod, to see if there's a story to tell there, too.

For some reason I'm thinking of getting Lego Marvel Super Heroes. I'm in the mood for a little mindless, simple violence.

I also would really like to get back to Wargame: European Escalation and some Civ V as well.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Planetary Annihilation.

still feeling the love?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: PanzersEast on January 17, 2014, 09:55:50 AM
Waiting on my The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 to come in and now wanting RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 thanks to Judge....

Will probably mess around with some Falcon 4, and FSX and a little Distant Worlds.   Then break out a game or two of Space Hulk: Death Angel with my Deathwing.



Post the results to Mike Tyson Challenge.... Finally!!!

PE
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Sir Slash on January 17, 2014, 10:05:43 AM
Gusington: The Woad Warrior. Rome 2 as Rome vs seemingly everybody in Europe(they started it). I'm expecting the Mayans to declare war on me at any moment and the next turn show-up with a fleet off Naples. Maybe some Skyrim Saturday but Sunday-- it's wings and football. :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 10:47:59 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Planetary Annihilation.

still feeling the love?

Not really. I had some pretty bad frame rates last night since the latest patch. But I only explored for about 10 minutes so I want to some more testing to see whats going on. Also, since reloading Supreme Commander, I'm saddened by how far off PA is from this venerable classic. Not that PA is totally bad in its own right, but it could have been so much more.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 11:36:45 AM
The Woad Warrior...I like it. Can I come by for wings?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Sir Slash on January 17, 2014, 11:54:53 AM
Hell Yeah. My wings are so good that the girls from Hooters come to my house. Just don't show-up painted like an Iceni that's all.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 11:56:57 AM
Well forget it then. The nerve!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Sir Slash on January 17, 2014, 12:11:12 PM
Sorry Gus. House Rules. My wife keeps my pair locked in her closet and only lets me use them with written permission.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Rekim on January 17, 2014, 12:41:32 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 17, 2014, 08:12:00 AM
Quote from: Staggerwing on January 17, 2014, 07:23:23 AM
Quote from: Rekim on January 17, 2014, 07:13:11 AM
On the upside, I'm beta testing VG Carrier for the iPad and will be keeping my tablet close by  ;)


:o Wait, what?!? :o

What is it like? Can we see screenies? When will it be ready for the unwashed masses?

You can't just drop a bomb like that and not help with the cleanup!

Yeah, slow down there, slugger. Share something!

I fired off an email to the dev asking if I could share some screenshots. Will do so if I get the green light.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bbmike on January 17, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Hoping to spend some more time with Europa Universalis 4 with the Conquest of Paradise DLC.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bob48 on January 17, 2014, 02:07:39 PM
Messing about with CoH, since I just got the 'Monster Tanks' mini expansion.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 17, 2014, 02:43:09 PM
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi830.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fzz227%2FBison36%2F2014-01-17_00001_zpsa99a52d1.jpg&hash=1727209e50cc238aac469ff49fcaf60c9b199bd1)

Yay me!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 02:43:47 PM
is that Warlock?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 17, 2014, 02:44:31 PM
Yeah.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 17, 2014, 02:55:20 PM
good skills - you need a head to head with MD
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 17, 2014, 03:01:42 PM
It was my first complete game ever.  Actually the first game I was able to play for longer than an hour without some sort of crash leading to me quitting the game.  I had no strategy.  Just keep resources positive and build big badass units.  I'm not up to MD's skillz level yet.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Kushan on January 17, 2014, 03:19:15 PM
I could post games like Command, FC:RS, ArmA 3 that I'd like to play; In reality though I'm going to play Europa Universalis IV with the new DLC all weekend, with maybe a little Distant Worlds as well. Right now I've got 3 different games going  in EU IV (Austria, Spain, and England). Anxious to get to the new world in the Spanish game since its using the new randomized map option. Also have some EU IV modding I want to get started on.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 17, 2014, 09:24:30 AM
Second Chapter in ARMA 3 campaign, "Adapt";...Planetary Annihilation.

Any impressions of Adapt and PA that you can share?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: skeptical.platypus on January 17, 2014, 03:55:07 PM
Banner Saga and ARMA III. I am, quite frankly, inspired by MengJiao.

"Deplorable Bipods" would make an AWESOME grognard band name, btw. If only there was a frontman available, painted blue from head to toe.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 17, 2014, 03:58:33 PM
Well, with a 3-day weekend thanks to Monday's holiday, hoping to get some time in with a number of things.....

- Rome 2 (especially if I pull trigger on Gaul expansion)
- WOFF
- Splintercell Blacklist

And then some xbox one gaming with the daughter to try and finish Marvel Superheroes....
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: steve58 on January 17, 2014, 05:06:54 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on January 17, 2014, 12:11:12 PM
Sorry Gus. House Rules. My wife keeps my pair locked in her closet and only lets me use them with written permission.

You're still talking "wings" here, I hope :P

For me, this weekend will be to see if I can get DMP's Pazifik Korps and Afrika Korps mods working...
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Nefaro on January 17, 2014, 05:48:51 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 17, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Hoping to spend some more time with Europa Universalis 4 with the Conquest of Paradise DLC.

We expect a report on how well the random New World generator is working!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: spelk on January 17, 2014, 05:57:32 PM
Well as usual I'm swimming in games, without the time or focus to take on any of them...

I have been mesmerised by The Banner Saga, so I intend to put more time into it this weekend. Trouble is, its quite emotionally draining, I find after a few battles and decision outcomes, I can't face more without a break. Odd really. I think turn based tactical games always have this effect on me, especially if there is any character empathy/association at all. And with the Banner Saga there really is, first time I clapped eyes on Ubin I was with him. I was mortified that I couldn't protect the Siege Archer lass, I'd surround her with big burly Giants (Varls) and still she'd come a cropper and be downed. :( Plus I have a "thing" for female archers, always have, always will.

I've been neglecting wargaming recently. Since the whirlwind of Command and then Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, I've been struggling to get my grog on. Well, the last 3MA podcast has me chomping at the bit again, and this evening I've been running through the Korsun Pocket tutorials again!! But tutorials, especially PDF based ones, really tire me out fast.

I have EUIV waiting for me.

And Disciples: Reincarnation.

I shoot people in Battlefield 4.

Plus I have an unhealthy obsession with DC Universe Online now too.

/stand up

I am a "gaming butterfly", and I am finding it tricky to stay on a single game with focused attention for any length of time. Someone help me!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 06:25:13 PM
^I can give you some of what I have. I can only play one game at a time.

Can you elaborate on Disciples: Reincarnation?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: W8taminute on January 17, 2014, 06:33:35 PM
I just started Assassin's Creed III yesterday so I will continue that through the weekend.  I'm also loving Dominions 4 to death.  I'm finding this game to be much more intuitive than Dominions 3 was.  Dominions 4 is brilliant!!   8)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bbmike on January 17, 2014, 06:41:23 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 17, 2014, 05:48:51 PM
Quote from: bbmike on January 17, 2014, 01:18:15 PM
Hoping to spend some more time with Europa Universalis 4 with the Conquest of Paradise DLC.

We expect a report on how well the random New World generator is working!
I've only discovered one new random world so far and it's okay but not great. My first New World looks kind of like a giant island. There a thread at Paradox (http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?747185-Screenshots-of-Paradise-Post-your-random-new-world) where people are posting the random New Worlds they are finding. Hopefully someone will tweak the map generator but either way I like it so far.  :D
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Arctic Blast on January 17, 2014, 08:32:49 PM
My primary game, at least for tonight, will be 'packing up board games that have been traded out and taking them to the post office'. It starts off like a really easy version of Tetris, then you change to a few exciting 'pack and seal' stages before the postal section. That part's pretty tedious and just involves waiting and then paying for the entire experience.

Once that's done, I might load up at least one of Blackguards and State of Decay and see what's up with those. I'd like to get into some Don't Starve, but we'll see what happens.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 17, 2014, 09:03:49 PM
Rome
Distant Worlds
flashpoint campaigns
Crusader Kings
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 17, 2014, 11:41:03 PM
tomorrow you'll get to see what I've been playing.  watch the front page :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 17, 2014, 11:56:32 PM
I thought this was a family friendly site.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: spelk on January 18, 2014, 01:21:41 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 17, 2014, 06:25:13 PM
Can you elaborate on Disciples: Reincarnation?

Reincarnation is another iteration of Disciples III, jazzed up a bit.



When I bagged it, you could buy it from Gamersgate, and get a Steam key, but you couldn't get it directly from Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-D3REIN/disciples-reincarnation
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Greybriar on January 18, 2014, 07:34:56 AM
It looks like I will be playing mostly XCOM: Enemy Within (http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-XCOMEW/xcom-enemy-within) this weekend.

I'm not sure what else.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 09:55:33 AM
Good job by you, Bison!  I hope you liked it well enough to play some more.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 18, 2014, 10:22:59 AM
I did play some XCom on my iPad last night, waiting for my daughter to get back from a field trip. Today I'm going to unbox several board games and do some writing this afternoon. Tonight I hope to try a few new maps on Civ V (new to me, anyway) to shake up my mid-game doldrums for that title.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:28:55 AM
I have decided on Civ V that I will wait for all the expansions to come out before purchase and play.  It gives me a viable excuse for not having played it up to this point.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 18, 2014, 10:31:50 AM
I'm mixed on Warlock.  Clearly it's good enough for me to play for the next turn over several hours.  But it's missing something or I'm not seeing something, either way it's a decent game.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 18, 2014, 10:33:26 AM
I've read a few of you guys loving on Warlock, but the game looks meh to me.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
I find the best challenge in the game is clearing the Underworlds.  All of the most poweful creatures and rewards are in there.  Otherwise, it's just spamming cities and making sure you have enough troops to mop up the occasional, random, outburst and AI incursion.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:35:09 AM
It works better in MP.  The problem is the amount of time turns take.  Especially in a mature game.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 18, 2014, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:34:15 AM
Otherwise, it's just spamming cities and making sure you have enough troops to mop up the occasional, random, outburst and AI incursion.

This is it right here.  Get a couple of geared heroes and some heavy units like Minotaurs supported by some archers and roll the board.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:38:37 AM
I won't deny that.  A lot of the charm for me is just maxing the settings and seeing how long it takes to complete the VC.  Holding 50% of Holy Sites is difficult on a Huge map.  And defeating an Avatar is a good one, too.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2014, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: Kushan on January 17, 2014, 03:19:15 PM

Any impressions of Adapt and PA that you can share?

I'm only on the third mission of Adapt.  They are good missions and still much better than anything in Arma 1 or 2 campaign-wise, but I'm still a little frustrated by the limitations imposed by the plot. NATO heavy forces pulled out in the beginning of the first chapter Survive, and you have been cut off and on the run against superior forces ever since. The situation has only gotten worse in Adapt. I'm sick of being forced to play a some survivor struggling on the brink with a ragtag group of under armed rebels. It's just getting a little old. I'd like to see more conventional battles with larger groups of opposing forces with ground and aviation components like we saw in Operation Flaspoint.

I suspect we'll see this in the third and final chapter of the campaign.

As for PA, I'm frustrated by what the game is not and what it could have been. It totally lacks the complexity of SC while also lacking the tactical nuance of TA. They recently rebalanced everything making everything faster paced. You can build advanced buildings and units very early on in a game and very quickly. There is no way I will ever be able to seriously compete against a competent adversary, AI or human. I just can't build multiple factories and have them constantly producing hundreds if not thousands of units, while still maintaining organization and control, no matter how good the UI nods up being. The mechanic of being able to get into space and expand to other planets seamlessly is awesome, but the game overall is so far not my cup of tea. We'll see how it continues to develop.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 18, 2014, 10:41:24 AM
The game I won.  I had one geared hero that brought down a great mage alone.  He sieged and captured 3 cities basically alone.  I'd occasionally send in an archer, because I had nothing better to do with them.  Every 5 turns or so, I'd throw a heal on the hero and basically forget about him other than to click attack on the city.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:46:33 AM
Heroes and powerful units in combination, especially once you can cast Levitate (Levitate=fly), there isn't anything that can stand in your way.  The only bump in the road is how mature the cities are that you are trying to take down.  Cities < 4 only have 50 HP.  It's 150 for 5 to 12 and 250 or 300 for cites 13 and above. Try it again with the Holy Sites VC or defeat an Avatar.  And bump your map up one level and see what you think then.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 18, 2014, 10:48:24 AM
I haven't even seen levitate be an option for spell research.  Current game I've gotten nothing but city spells it seems like.  I'll look at doing the holy site VC and make a more serious effort at exploring the other realms.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:50:54 AM
Cool.  Let me know how it goes.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 18, 2014, 11:10:22 AM
So Jarhead, since I only play SP, would I be better of playing Arma II with all the user made scenarios or buying Arma 3 for the real SP campaign? I should note, I love infantry combat but hate having to control other soldiers, drive tanks, etc.
I like being private mike ordered
To assault that hill...Etc
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 11:14:44 AM
Quote from: mikeck on January 18, 2014, 11:10:22 AM
So Jarhead, since I only play SP, would I be better of playing Arma II with all the user made scenarios or buying Arma 3 for the real SP campaign? I should note, I love infantry combat but hate having to control other soldiers, drive tanks, etc.
I like being private mike ordered
To assault that hill...Etc

You summarized exactly how I like to play the game so will be interested in this response.  I simply want to be a soldier on a team and follow orders....can't stand trying to drive all the vehicles either since I simply suck at it.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 18, 2014, 11:42:40 AM
Quote from: mikeck on January 18, 2014, 11:10:22 AM
So Jarhead, since I only play SP, would I be better of playing Arma II with all the user made scenarios or buying Arma 3 for the real SP campaign? I should note, I love infantry combat but hate having to control other soldiers, drive tanks, etc.
I like being private mike ordered
To assault that hill...Etc

mission 4 of the second chapter is the first time in the arma 3 campaign were you get command. It is limited to about 5 soldiers and a technical. I am a SP guy too and I am enjoying Arma 3. Both arma 2 and 3 are must buys in my opinion.

In the arma 3 campaign, you are an american corporal, so there is much more following then leading.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Tuna on January 18, 2014, 12:56:59 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 18, 2014, 10:35:09 AM
It works better in MP.  The problem is the amount of time turns take.  Especially in a mature game.

Turns only take a long time if MD is playing!!  :o

Just kidding, you make the games that much more fun, but I couldn't resist, cause of the 'rep'  ???
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Toonces on January 18, 2014, 01:41:37 PM
I believe ARMA2 is on the humble bundle right now, so if you don't already have there is no excuse not to jump in.  I mean we're talking a buck here.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 18, 2014, 01:53:08 PM
having rediscovered 'The Unit' there are a million CQB skirmishes to try and carry over into ARMA III - i may be neck deep in editor later
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Toonces on January 18, 2014, 02:15:37 PM
I believe this is going to be a flight sim weekend for me: BMS Falcon, Aces High 2, and if I can bring myself to pull the trigger I may finally dig into WOFF.

I also finally got my copy of DCS patched up, so if you see someone named Toonces online, it's probably me.  I'd appreciate it if you let me kill you rather than the other way around so that my massive ego is inflated.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 04:06:38 PM
Just played Rome II with the Divide and Conquer mod for about 4 hours! Longest session I had gaming for...well forever. It did crash twice, and after a vital battle, but ran smooth after that for the next 90 minutes. I get that graphic warning again...should I simply just turn down my graphics settings or is there something else to it? I remember that it comes and goes for people depending on patches. Oh and I got me a good looking war maiden. I think I will start calling The Wife my war maiden.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcloud-3.steampowered.com%2Fugc%2F702860642401124513%2FAB2C2162FBA8726AC8B7C61221E67BA1849EDD03%2F&hash=e29f035db579427aa29e07c220c1c5c34f6e33da)

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Martok on January 18, 2014, 04:19:56 PM
Nice!  Think I'll have to give that mod a try when I get off work tomorrow (have just subscribed).  :) 

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Rekim on January 18, 2014, 04:59:21 PM
Some screenies from the VG Carrier (beta build) on my iPad

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-iHGUxvvQ9zE/Utr2Yp1V_RI/AAAAAAAAA_8/OeiD5KUQstc/s800/Untitled%2520Photo.jpg)

(https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZfsVTU5lPsE/Utr2hP4TO_I/AAAAAAAABAM/sRGD-UGE2U0/s800/Untitled%2520Photo.jpg)

(https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6HrT9D13Elc/Utr3CsL70TI/AAAAAAAABAY/s696c8AQBc8/s800/Untitled%2520Photo.jpg)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: MengJiao on January 18, 2014, 05:26:15 PM
looks fantastic.  When is this coming out?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Staggerwing on January 18, 2014, 05:36:43 PM
According to some posts at (I think it was) BGG that map is one of GJK's works. It looks gorgeous! Can't wait for it to appear in the App Store.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Toonces on January 18, 2014, 07:01:05 PM
Shit I might just get an iPad to play that game alone!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 18, 2014, 07:05:56 PM
Yep, I'm buying that one Day 1.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bob48 on January 19, 2014, 08:31:46 AM
This weekend I'm playing the DIY Home Improvement game. I'm now on the 'Fill holes and sand down ready for painting' DLC.

OK, why is it that you can sand something down so it feels as smooth as one of Stars chat-up lines - smooth as a baby's bum. No, smoother than that even. As smooth as a Smuck shave.

Then you put the paint on and find you have a model of the Alps!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 10:02:29 AM
Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 04:06:38 PM
Just played Rome II with the Divide and Conquer mod for about 4 hours! Longest session I had gaming for...well forever. It did crash twice, and after a vital battle, but ran smooth after that for the next 90 minutes. I get that graphic warning again...should I simply just turn down my graphics settings or is there something else to it? I remember that it comes and goes for people depending on patches. Oh and I got me a good looking war maiden. I think I will start calling The Wife my war maiden.

[img]http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/702860642401124513/AB2C2162FBA8726AC8B7C61221E67BA1849EDD03/[/


Don't check that "unlimited video memory" block...just lower your shadows or unit quality. I have been crash free for about 4 hours of game
Time with this mod.... Considering how extensive it is it's pretty good
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 11:07:21 AM
Come to think of it, besides the 1 crash about 4 hours (game time) ago, I haven't had a crash in a month
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: W8taminute on January 19, 2014, 01:29:16 PM
Rekim that game looks like a must buy. 

Gus I have to try that mod out.  Nice screenie!
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 19, 2014, 05:58:29 PM
I bought The Banner Saga so I've been fiddling with that.  It seems OK but a little lacking so far.  Hopefully it picks up.

I spent some time flying around in IL-2: Battle of Stalingrad as this weekend's update added the city of Stalingrad map to the game.  Building textures need some work.  The update seems to have introduced a bug to the Bf-109 damage model.  If my Bf-109 catches fire, I get kicked to desktop.

I played in an absolutely stellar session of ArmA III MP today with the SimHQ gang.  We played a mission where we had to attack an enemy held town to free some downed pilots.  It played out really well.  It took about 45 minutes to play through with lots of good teamwork, some intense firefights at long and at close range, good CAS from the heli pilots, lots of tactical movement through rough terrain and in buildings, and some great leadership.

I'm playing a marathon campaign as the Japanese on a large map in Civ V.  I normally tend to play an isolationist, science focussed civ so being the continent's bully boy makes for an interesting change of pace. 


 

Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 19, 2014, 06:01:30 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 19, 2014, 05:58:29 PM
I played in an absolutely stellar session of ArmA III MP today with the SimHQ gang.  We played a mission where we had to attack an enemy held town to free some downed pilots.  It played out really well.  It took about 45 minutes to play through with lots of good teamwork, some intense firefights at long and at close range, good CAS from the heli pilots, lots of tactical movement through rough terrain and in buildings, and some great leadership.

dammit, missed this due to work - glad you had a great time - were you guys using the new medic rules again?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 19, 2014, 06:10:33 PM
Yes.  They've tweaked the medic script a bit more and made some interesting additions.  If you go down but don't die instantly, the script will automatically place a map marker of your location so it's easier for the medics to find you.  Non-medics can stabilize you if they have a first-aid kit but you'll be out of the fight until a medic can attend to you.  Medics can attach and detach themselves from squads so they can see the hexagon HUD display of teammates in their squad.  They also extended the bleed-out time to 90 seconds. (I personally find this is a bit too long as it removes a lot of the sense of urgency and deaths are pretty rare except in the case of a total slaughter.  I think they added it because a lot of guys have been ignoring the house rules about no re-spawns on co-op missions.)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: undercovergeek on January 19, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
did you get any footage of the battle you mentioned?
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM
Kids and wife are away for the night...and tomorrow a holiday. Time to OD on Rome II, True Detective and Grosse Point Blank. Rome II first.

Mike thanks for the graphics tip...I actually lowered the unit quality and it did nothing, so I will try shadows next. Other than that little annoyance, I am REALLY digging the Iceni. I daresay it may be a little too easy, but I'm sure as my empire grows the difficulty will go up. Can't wait to bump into the Romans...hard :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 19, 2014, 07:11:18 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 19, 2014, 06:18:19 PM
did you get any footage of the battle you mentioned?

I didn't.  I'm not sure if anyone was recording or not. 
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 07:16:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM
Kids and wife are away for the night...and tomorrow a holiday. Time to OD on Rome II, True Detective and Grosse Point Blank. Rome II first.

Mike thanks for the graphics tip...I actually lowered the unit quality and it did nothing, so I will try shadows next. Other than that little annoyance, I am REALLY digging the Iceni. I daresay it may be a little too easy, but I'm sure as my empire grows the difficulty will go up. Can't wait to bump into the Romans...hard :)

With all this more recent talk of rome think I am going to purchase gaul tonight and finally jump into a campaign.  I tried to resist.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
I was fortunate enough to have it gifted to me by a kind-hearted soul :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 19, 2014, 07:18:01 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM
Kids and wife are away for the night...and tomorrow a holiday. Time to OD on Rome II, True Detective and Grosse Point Blank. Rome II first.

Must be nice. I have to work tomorrow - my company's international and can give a fig about some Colonial holiday.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 07:18:58 PM
Also 'working from home' Tuesday as I have to pick The Wife up from the airport in the middle of the night tomorrow.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 19, 2014, 07:22:45 PM
It's rare to have a job you can work from home with. I do that three days a week, and my office is only about 12 miles from my house now. :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
I was fortunate enough to have it gifted to me by a kind-hearted soul :)

Nice:)  also going to pick up the blood pack ,need more gore.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 08:34:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM
Kids and wife are away for the night...and tomorrow a holiday. Time to OD on Rome II, True Detective and Grosse Point Blank. Rome II first.

Mike thanks for the graphics tip...I actually lowered the unit quality and it did nothing, so I will try shadows next. Other than that little annoyance, I am REALLY digging the Iceni. I daresay it may be a little too easy, but I'm sure as my empire grows the difficulty will go up. Can't wait to bump into the Romans...hard :)

I have a new card so I can run it at Max but with my previous card I found that turning shadows down and putting unit sprite graphics to medium or low and medium shadows at low works best. If you're getting bad performance with the unit sprites turned down then put them in medium and try it without shadows see if that fixes it . Shadows are nice but the battlefields are so beautiful anyway they really don't have a whole lot but they do use a lot of performance
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 08:40:27 PM
Quote from: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 08:34:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 06:58:10 PM
Kids and wife are away for the night...and tomorrow a holiday. Time to OD on Rome II, True Detective and Grosse Point Blank. Rome II first.

Mike thanks for the graphics tip...I actually lowered the unit quality and it did nothing, so I will try shadows next. Other than that little annoyance, I am REALLY digging the Iceni. I daresay it may be a little too easy, but I'm sure as my empire grows the difficulty will go up. Can't wait to bump into the Romans...hard :)

I have a new card so I can run it at Max but with my previous card I found that turning shadows down and putting unit sprite graphics to medium or low and medium shadows at low works best. If you're getting bad performance with the unit sprites turned down then put them in medium and try it without shadows see if that fixes it . Shadows are nice but the battlefields are so beautiful anyway they really don't have a whole lot but they do use a lot of performance

Not sure if you guys were aware, but if the game downgrades your graphics during loading, it writes a file to your logs directory that says exactly what settings it changed for you and to what setting.  I have been using this to help determine what the game thinks my settings should be.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 08:47:39 PM
Really? How do I view the logs?

I fiddled with the shadows and the textures and I'm still getting the message.

I also spoke too soon about the game perhaps being a bit too easy...the Caledones (Scots) are giving me a good horse whipping and being a general pain in the arse, blocking my way to taking over all of the British Isles. I didn't know it while losing this battle, but it would be quite the watershed moment in my young campaign...Caledones troops totally overrunning me!! "Men wavering" indeed.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcloud-2.steampowered.com%2Fugc%2F702860642434985881%2F7BDD82D4E3D1F8C3F2779C99E795CFCAE9177AAA%2F&hash=4ea8a1e9121a29242e69d41f080a345c72a3db6a)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 08:52:07 PM
Gus,

My logs are in this directory for Windows 8, assuming they would be in a similar place for you depending on what operating system.

C:\Users\<<insert user name>>\AppData\Roaming\The Creative Assembly\Rome2\logs

The log file is gfx.log.   If you can't find the directory, just search for the file.  Here is a sample of what my log shows, you can see it tells you what it does.  Once I adjusted mine per this, I no longer got the message.

Downgrading, Over budget by 464 MB
Disabled Alpha-blending
Downgraded Shadows to 1
Downgraded Texture Quality to 2
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: bayonetbrant on January 19, 2014, 09:28:45 PM
got a little head-to-head Card Hunter in today.  Anyone out there that wants to play a little head-to-head sometime, lemme know and we can set up a custom game to throw down :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Toonces on January 19, 2014, 09:40:39 PM
Dammit Jim!  I keep forgetting about that game.  Ok, I'm going to make an effort to try it tonight if I don't have too much beer.   ;D
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: BanzaiCat on January 19, 2014, 09:59:39 PM
What is this "too much beer" you speak of?

I've not heard of such a place.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 10:35:58 PM
Thanks Grim, futzing with it now.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 19, 2014, 10:40:13 PM
Finally got some decent time in with Rome II this weekend ... should have been grading but I'm justifying this as research.  That works, right??
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 10:40:34 PM
Yes.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: TheCommandTent on January 19, 2014, 10:41:45 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 10:40:34 PM
Yes.

Excellent, now could you tell my wife that. :)
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Toonces on January 19, 2014, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 19, 2014, 10:40:13 PM
Finally got some decent time in with Rome II this weekend ... should have been grading but I'm justifying this as research.  That works, right??

Yup.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 11:40:21 PM
TCT your wife says no problem but your mom is not happy.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Bison on January 19, 2014, 11:51:24 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2014, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 19, 2014, 10:40:13 PM
Finally got some decent time in with Rome II this weekend ... should have been grading but I'm justifying this as research.  That works, right??

Yup.

If it's common core I see no problem since there wasn't any learning happening anyway.  Just tell them good job and that they are all winners and move along. 
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: Kushan on January 20, 2014, 12:15:21 AM
I played a lot of EUIV. So far I haven't got for enough into a single game to experience the new world content. I've started several games as Castile, Brandenburg, France, Austria, Burgundy and England. So far the only thing I'm finding that could still use some tweaks is the new AI ruler personalities. In my Castile games, I've usually been able to get an early alliance/royal marriage with Aragon, but after 5 or so year they would break the alliance and set me as a rival. Took me a few games to realize that their monarch was dying and a militaristic personality monarch was taking the throne.  I can understand if we had bad opinions of each other, but at least in my current game we had fought a 5 year war against the Venetians and both nations had a 100+ opinion of the other.
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: mikeck on January 20, 2014, 12:32:09 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 19, 2014, 11:40:21 PM
TCT your wife says no problem but your mom is not happy.

Also helps to turn the comp off and back on every now and again to clear the RAM...the old stand by that always works but no one knows why
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: W8taminute on January 20, 2014, 10:09:35 PM
Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2014, 11:51:24 PM
Quote from: Toonces on January 19, 2014, 11:16:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on January 19, 2014, 10:40:13 PM
Finally got some decent time in with Rome II this weekend ... should have been grading but I'm justifying this as research.  That works, right??

Yup.

If it's common core I see no problem since there wasn't any learning happening anyway.  Just tell them good job and that they are all winners and move along.

I saw what you did there.  LOL
Title: Re: Is it live or is it Friday?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 20, 2014, 10:12:15 PM
let the bitterness flow.