GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: fran on January 18, 2014, 03:43:36 AM

Title: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: fran on January 18, 2014, 03:43:36 AM
The next version of Eugen Wargame series will have 'bullet time' the ability to slow down the game. Sure I've read here that that is a complaint of number of people here on why not to take up the game.

With the introduction of the naval element and even bigger maps a slowdown function would be useful.

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FBzTWBA5.png&hash=4881afa3fe46816f864a425f577f2ab9b17e611e)

See here for more detail on what detail is in the game.

http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=36034 (http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=36034)

Bullet time: http://www.wargame-ee.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=155&t=38163&p=419189&hilit=bullet#p419189
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 18, 2014, 03:47:41 AM
Yeah, I never really felt comfortable with the speed. I kind of liked the game and the mechanic - but it was way too frenetic for me.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 18, 2014, 10:10:59 AM
Even more, you can now create custom decks for the AI.

No more spammy chopper decks for the AI.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:29:11 AM
hhhmmm.....so if this slowdown mode basically will make it a little less hectic and easier to manage all your forces, that could be the thing to really draw me back in.  I have bought both versions so far and really like the graphics/UI and premise of the gameplay, but just like most RTS games for me, I just don't have the reflexes to manage a ton of units across a battlefield all at once.

Will keep an eye on this one and keep fingers crossed....
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
also meant to ask, do we have any rough estimates as to a release date in 2014?
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: mikeck on January 18, 2014, 11:01:56 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:29:11 AM
hhhmmm.....so if this slowdown mode basically will make it a little less hectic and easier to manage all your forces, that could be the thing to really draw me back in.  I have bought both versions so far and really like the graphics/UI and premise of the gameplay, but just like most RTS games for me, I just don't have the reflexes to manage a ton of units across a battlefield all at once.

Will keep an eye on this one and keep fingers crossed....

This.

Also, I hope it's backward compatible do I can use it with EE and ALB and not just dragon-whatever
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 18, 2014, 11:03:43 AM
+ 1
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: undercovergeek on January 18, 2014, 12:49:18 PM
is it stand alone
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: mikeck on January 19, 2014, 04:11:52 PM
Yes, but of I by it, does the "time slow down" option become available for air land battle?
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 19, 2014, 09:41:47 PM
It is going to be stand-alone, so I doubt the new features will be compatible.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Toonces on January 20, 2014, 04:22:49 AM
I didn't know if any avatar could be awesomer than Val Kilmer in Top Gun, but you nailed it Jarhead.  Totally epic, dude.   8)
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 20, 2014, 07:17:46 AM
I guess the question is, did they ever patch ee with things from alb?  If not, it would seem unlikely they would patch both products from red dragon.  If they did, maybe some hope.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 07:18:01 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 20, 2014, 04:22:49 AM
I didn't know if any avatar could be awesomer than Val Kilmer in Top Gun, but you nailed it Jarhead.  Totally epic, dude.   8)

I've always loved Quint. Epic character.  8)
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
I can't see why they would want to - from a business perspective anyway. Doing it with no backward compatibility means potentially more sales - not just from people wanting the newer game, but from the people (like me) who gave up on it because it was simply too fast.

Big win for them not upgrading the old games - though you could argue not from a customer perspective. But then they could always say it's just not feasible - too many changes in the new engine that just wouldn't fit in the old one...simple "get out" clause.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
I can't see why they would want to - from a business perspective anyway. Doing it with no backward compatibility means potentially more sales - not just from people wanting the newer game, but from the people (like me) who gave up on it because it was simply too fast.

Big win for them not upgrading the old games - though you could argue not from a customer perspective. But then they could always say it's just not feasible - too many changes in the new engine that just wouldn't fit in the old one...simple "get out" clause.

I disagree. If they patched this feature people who did not buy the original games because they were too frenetic now might give them a shot. At the same time, prior fans would buy the new game for the expanded content and features. Its a win win from my perspective.

Some developers do like to make some decisions for the benefit of the fans. Seriously, sometimes you guys are so negative. Don't worry, man. Be happy. 
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:57:18 AM
I am (happy, that is)  >:(
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: mikeck on January 20, 2014, 12:28:07 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 08:26:55 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on January 20, 2014, 08:16:19 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 03:57:33 AM
I don't see why they can't patch EE and ALB to bring their engines current with RD.
I can't see why they would want to - from a business perspective anyway. Doing it with no backward compatibility means potentially more sales - not just from people wanting the newer game, but from the people (like me) who gave up on it because it was simply too fast.

Big win for them not upgrading the old games - though you could argue not from a customer perspective. But then they could always say it's just not feasible - too many changes in the new engine that just wouldn't fit in the old one...simple "get out" clause.

I disagree. If they patched this feature people who did not buy the original games because they were too frenetic now might give them a shot. At the same time, prior fans would buy the new game for the expanded content and features. Its a win win from my perspective.

Some developers do like to make some decisions for the benefit of the fans. Seriously, sometimes you guys are so negative. Don't worry, man. Be happy.

This right here! I am not going to buy this game if the slow rate of play isnt backwards compatable. Just not interested in playing with 1970s Chinese units. I would buy soley for that function. The inailitu to slow down the game IS THE ONE REASON I don't play ALB or EE...only reason
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:29:19 PM
Wow, this is great news!  While I have learned to do my best with this clickfest, a slow-down would be greatly appreciated! 

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
also meant to ask, do we have any rough estimates as to a release date in 2014?

I saw in an interview that they were shooting for March.  But as the dev said in the same interview, they originally shot for a March release of ALB and wound up having it slip to May.   So.....

Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 20, 2014, 04:39:30 PM
Quote from: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 04:29:19 PM
Wow, this is great news!  While I have learned to do my best with this clickfest, a slow-down would be greatly appreciated! 

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 10:30:31 AM
also meant to ask, do we have any rough estimates as to a release date in 2014?

I saw in an interview that they were shooting for March.  But as the dev said in the same interview, they originally shot for a March release of ALB and wound up having it slip to May.   So.....

Thanks for the info on release date....whether March or May, still not that far off, was originally thinking end of year.  Unless I missed it, will there be some kind of early access or beta opportunities?
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: RooksBailey on January 20, 2014, 08:22:30 PM
I haven't heard anything mentioned about a public beta, but they did conduct one for ALB for those who pre-ordered.  So I would expect the same.  Dragon Rising will be one the exceptions where I break my "no pre-orders" rule.  I trust Eugen after ALB.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: GDS_Starfury on January 20, 2014, 09:37:23 PM
I dont know...
after some of the RTS's that Ive spent untold hours playing the Wargame series just isn't that frantic to me.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: RooksBailey on January 21, 2014, 01:09:46 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 20, 2014, 09:37:23 PM
I dont know...
after some of the RTS's that Ive spent untold hours playing the Wargame series just isn't that frantic to me.

I shudder to think about that!   :D 
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Skoop on January 21, 2014, 02:29:34 AM
I don't get why they can't pause in single player.  If they are going to try to accommodate the SP people why stop at slow down, why not go all the way and add pause to give orders.  And while they are at it, how about extend the time limits.  I get that this game is meant for MP, but it could be even better in SP if they would add these 2 things.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Apocalypse 31 on January 21, 2014, 07:51:10 AM
Quote from: Skoop on January 21, 2014, 02:29:34 AM
I don't get why they can't pause in single player.  If they are going to try to accommodate the SP people why stop at slow down, why not go all the way and add pause to give orders.  And while they are at it, how about extend the time limits.  I get that this game is meant for MP, but it could be even better in SP if they would add these 2 things.

Personally, the 20 minute timer for campaign battles is just about as bad as the sudden death trigger in Flashpoint Campaigns.  I'll never understand the developer logic that PREVENTS people from playing their games.

Hopefully Eugen will bring some much-needed changes to the campaign. I think it's on track, but it needs more improvements; 20 minute timer needs to go, battlefields need persistent damage. Hell, just copy Close Combat...
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: RooksBailey on January 21, 2014, 04:53:48 PM
The 20 minute time limit is one of the reasons I don't play the campaign but instead play skirmish matches against the AI.  You can configure the length of the match up to an hour.  And - another benefit of the skirmish system - unlike the campaign, you can actually replay all the action and watch the battle unfold in detail later.

Eugen did screw up with the campaign AFAIAC.  The whole thing just seems rushed compared to the skirmish/MP portion.
Title: Re: Wargame: Red Dragon (now includes ability to slow the game down)
Post by: Nefaro on January 21, 2014, 04:57:39 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 20, 2014, 07:18:01 AM
Quote from: Toonces on January 20, 2014, 04:22:49 AM
I didn't know if any avatar could be awesomer than Val Kilmer in Top Gun, but you nailed it Jarhead.  Totally epic, dude.   8)

I've always loved Quint. Epic character.  8)

The characters were the reason that movie was so good.  Especially him.