GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: spelk on January 18, 2014, 06:13:11 PM

Title: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: spelk on January 18, 2014, 06:13:11 PM
Have no idea of dev pedigree or whether its going to be any good, but I like the art style of miniatures with bases.

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/battles-king-arthur/

Debut trailer vid:

Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 06:50:05 PM
Interesting...looks different enough from the NeoCore games to be worth keeping an eye on. Not sure who Jane Whittaker is though (she's credited as the dev).
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Toonces on January 18, 2014, 06:59:25 PM
Great, now I have to go change my underwear.   :-[
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Nefaro on January 18, 2014, 08:12:47 PM
Quote from: spelk on January 18, 2014, 06:13:11 PM
Have no idea of dev pedigree or whether its going to be any good, but I like the art style of miniatures with bases.

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/battles-king-arthur/



King Arthur... as played by Leo DiCaprio?  That's what their front page banner art looks like.  LOL!

:P

Game sounds interesting though.  :)
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 08:50:14 PM
Games that appear out of nowhere scare me though...says it will be released in February and this is the first it really has been heard about.....hmmmm
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 08:56:03 PM
Don't think so much and just wait for initial reviews :)
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 08:59:07 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 08:56:03 PM
Don't think so much and just wait for initial reviews :)

My pessimistic side says if it is something they were proud of there would have been a lot of hype and previews before now:)  But hey, I am willing to wait and see and hopefully be pleasantly surprised:)
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 09:00:27 PM
^Just don't be the first one through the purchasing door!
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 18, 2014, 09:05:00 PM
Quote from: Gusington on January 18, 2014, 09:00:27 PM
^Just don't be the first one through the purchasing door!

Not this time:)  Found a place that said price would be £24.99...sounds like will be released on steam and physical copies on Feb 14.  Most places mentions a UK release, so not sure what that means for the rest of the world.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Bison on January 18, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
I'm liking the look of the game.  Depending on the gaming budget which I decided to impose a serious restriction on this year, it won't be a day one purchase but something I'll keep my eye on to purchase later for sure.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Toonces on January 18, 2014, 10:10:37 PM
I don't do "Day 1 purchases" anymore.  I'm happy to wait a few days and see what the haters on Steam have to say. 

Buuuuut, if it gets anything close to a favorable review I'm going to be all over this game.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: spelk on January 19, 2014, 02:49:39 AM
I hope its not a re-skinned Chess.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on January 19, 2014, 03:39:01 AM
Quote from: spelk on January 19, 2014, 02:49:39 AM
I hope its not a re-skinned Chess.

Too funny...I was kind of thinking that myself when I saw the screens...if this was somehow an alternative version of chess....fingers crossed it isn't.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: tgb on January 19, 2014, 06:31:02 AM
It reminded me more of an Arhurian chess set at well, particularly the use of squares instead of hexes.  I'm interested enough to check it out further once we get closer to release.  5 minutes of research led me to discover that the trailer is two months old, which could mean they've been putting the time into polish and balance instead of hype.

Of course, it could also mean the developer ran out of money and the game will never see the light of day.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on February 08, 2014, 10:42:18 PM
Looks like this one's release date now in May.

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/battles-king-arthur/
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Toonces on February 09, 2014, 12:57:36 AM
If this game is anything better than utterly mediocre I am gonna be so over this!  I think it looks fantastic.  I love the boardgame look to it.

Have no idea if the gameplay will be compelling.  It's certainly hitting the right itches with me in the description, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what the execution is all about.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 01, 2014, 12:37:23 PM
Looks like new date is now September 2014....you can even pre-order for about $42.....has a trailer on this link too, does interest me....but since unknown and has been delayed multiple times, this will be one that I wait for release.

http://www.excalibur-publishing.com/games/battles-king-arthur/
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on June 01, 2014, 03:45:37 PM
Still looks very good. I like the boardgame look of it.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Toonces on June 01, 2014, 10:49:13 PM
^ +1.

I don't see any reason to pre-order it though.  I'll wait and see what the reviewers have to say.  It certainly looks like a must-buy to me, though.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on June 02, 2014, 09:08:24 AM
42.00 seems a little high unless there is some kind of uber sandbox mode.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: tgb on June 02, 2014, 09:10:26 AM
Quote from: Gusington on June 02, 2014, 09:08:24 AM
42.00 seems a little high unless there is some kind of uber sandbox mode.

That's my feeling, and that's the discounted price. In today's market this strikes me as more of a $20 or $30 title.  It's not exactly AAA.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on June 02, 2014, 09:13:01 AM
Yeah...I am sure it will go on sale not too far after release, like everything else.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on June 02, 2014, 05:40:17 PM
Yep, no preorder for me...still suspicious of this one:)
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 09, 2014, 06:17:14 PM
Looks like a specific date of September 12th picked right now for steam release....will be interested to see if this turns out to be any good.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259150
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: tgb on August 09, 2014, 07:21:47 PM
I'm interested, but I wonder if they're still going to price it at $49.99 at release.  This isn't 1998, you know.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 09, 2014, 07:27:08 PM
Quote from: tgb on August 09, 2014, 07:21:47 PM
I'm interested, but I wonder if they're still going to price it at $49.99 at release.  This isn't 1998, you know.

Pre orders already bein taken for $42 so that likely is the release price since does not mention discount.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on August 09, 2014, 07:48:09 PM
Price is a bit rich for my blood too. Game does look good though.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Greybriar on August 09, 2014, 07:57:34 PM
Quote from: spelk on January 19, 2014, 02:49:39 AM
I hope its not a re-skinned Chess.

Yes, it does resemble a chess board in this video:

Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Swatter on August 10, 2014, 12:00:24 AM
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of advertising at this point, release is very far away. Not everybody is SOE and hypes up games not much beyond the concept stage (Everquest Next).
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on August 10, 2014, 04:25:11 AM
Quote from: Swatter on August 10, 2014, 12:00:24 AM
I wouldn't be worried about the lack of advertising at this point, release is very far away. Not everybody is SOE and hypes up games not much beyond the concept stage (Everquest Next).

I am not worried from an advertising perspective, although it is really not that far away, just about a month from their published release date (9/12).  Much more hoping it just turns out to be a fun good game.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on September 13, 2014, 06:17:09 AM
Well, so much for September release date....looks like yet again another change in release date....official page now lists February 2015 as the new date.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: tgb on September 13, 2014, 07:39:54 AM
I saw that.  There is so much coming out in the next couple of months and Feb is traditionally a pretty slow month for new releases anyway.  Given the premium price I'd just as soon they take their time and get it right
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Gusington on September 13, 2014, 01:33:04 PM
^Yup. Between now and then there is A LOT to look forward to.
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: Grim.Reaper on April 25, 2015, 05:06:39 PM
Seems like this game has disappeared.....guessing no longer planned or just hard to find info now?
Title: Re: Battles of King Arthur
Post by: tgb on April 25, 2015, 06:21:23 PM
GamersGate says "coming soon" and Steam no longer has it listed at all.  I wouldn't hold my breath.