GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Gusington on February 01, 2014, 02:37:54 PM

Title: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 01, 2014, 02:37:54 PM
There are surprisingly few threads on this over at totalwar.com or TWC. The ones that do exist are usually BS.

Does anyone have any good leads on what the next DLC will be? I am hoping for a late Roman era Barbarian Invasion/Fall of the Roman Empire reprise at some point, but I haven't read anything definitive online.

Anyone?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Kushan on February 01, 2014, 03:42:46 PM
I haven't seen anything from CA yet. I hope they continue in the same vein as Caesar in Gaul and do more focused scenario style DLC. I'd love to see something like CiG covering the Punic Wars and the rise of Rome.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on February 01, 2014, 03:43:33 PM
Haven't heard a damn thing but I would really hope they would do a barbarian invasion just like they did for the first Rome....late Roman Empire
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 01, 2014, 04:09:31 PM
I've seen a lot of people clamoring for a Punic War DLC. I hope they go in the direction of the later empire eventually as that is my favorite era. Huns, Goths, Sassanids, Vandals...
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on February 01, 2014, 11:24:32 PM
Alexander 2 TW? I like the late era too. I think the Huns would look great in HD.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 02, 2014, 12:14:27 AM
I guarantee they'll do some full priced standalone spin-off of Rome 2.  They did it for Shogun 2 (FotS) and ETW (NTW) so there's every reason to expect one at some time.

Dunno what it may be.  I don't think the later Roman Empire would be a good start since it would be just one massive empire and mostly small ones nearby.  Such imbalances never go well in TW's strategic game. 

I'm thinking a Diadochi Wars era would be a good start since Alexander's empire became so fragmented and warred upon each other quite a bit.  Of course, this would just be an earlier start than Rome 2's but that's what we'll get one way or another.  Maybe they would add some Indian factions too.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 02:26:01 PM
^Diadochi Wars are another set of conflicts I've been seeing a lot of requests/chatter for.

Don't forget the Eastern Empire...a 'Birth of Byzantium' DLC would be...deelish.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: MengJiao on February 02, 2014, 02:43:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 02:26:01 PM
^Diadochi Wars are another set of conflicts I've been seeing a lot of requests/chatter for.

Don't forget the Eastern Empire...a 'Birth of Byzantium' DLC would be...deelish.

When would Birth of Byzantium happen?  With Constantine (around 400 AD)? or Justinian (around 500 AD)?  Or even Heraclitus (around 600 AD)?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 02:48:07 PM
Yeah I would say around 400 AD, with Constantine. Maybe even earlier in the 4th century. Hard to put a finger on it more specifically than that, but that's just my own interpretation.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 02, 2014, 02:49:47 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 02:26:01 PM
^Diadochi Wars are another set of conflicts I've been seeing a lot of requests/chatter for.


I would actually be surprised if they did make an expansion or standalone based on the Succession Wars since your average gamer/person, who doesn't have much knowledge of classical history, knows nothing about the period.  Hell, I can't remember all the events and names, there being such regular backstabbery, conflicts, deaths/murders, and general dastardliness.

I'll be fine with anything from the classical period or even the ancient stuff.  Wouldn't an Ancient Egypt/Hittite/Babylon/Etc setting be kinda cool too?  As long as I don't hear yet another, "OMG they need to do a Total War set in World War Two!" again.  >:(
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 05:43:37 PM
^Have you read Ghost on the Throne?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: MengJiao on February 02, 2014, 06:01:03 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 02:48:07 PM
Yeah I would say around 400 AD, with Constantine. Maybe even earlier in the 4th century. Hard to put a finger on it more specifically than that, but that's just my own interpretation.

  I guess I was off.  It would be more like 300 AD with Constantine,; 400 AD with Theodosius; etc.  Any of those would be swell.  Especially if you could be a Persian and answer Montiesquies's question:  "How can one be a Persian?"
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 06:19:33 PM
I have always loved playing the Persians in any era, to be honest.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: magnus on February 02, 2014, 08:26:44 PM
" Have you read Ghost on the Throne? "

Great book. it was hard for a while to find books on the Diadochi but the past two years there have been a few put out.

There is even a bio of Antiochus the great on Amazon.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 08:36:15 PM
^I have it on its way to me via Amazon right now. What other titles do you recommend on the era?

And I'm having trouble picking a TW faction to play while reading 'Ghost'...Macedon? Sparta? Seleucids? All fascinating factions.

Maybe some other I haven't even thought of yet?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: GDS_Starfury on February 02, 2014, 09:56:51 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 06:19:33 PM
I have always loved playing the Persians in any era, to be honest.

Dont lie, your such a palistine.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 02, 2014, 10:29:43 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 05:43:37 PM
^Have you read Ghost on the Throne?


Oh.  Now you've gone and did it.

I'll have to go purchase this ASAP now that you just mentioned it.  Damn yous all!

:-*

(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic4.businessinsider.com%2Fimage%2F4fad386beab8eac843000000%2Fits-a-trap-what-happens-when-advertisers-dont-meet-twitters-spending-quotas.jpg&hash=d49d535ff897a5f47d665b7dd32f672a4fa55532)


Pretty sure someone had recommended it before, too.  I've just been so swamped with stuff I wanna do and not enough time to cram it all in.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 02, 2014, 10:34:12 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 02, 2014, 08:36:15 PM

And I'm having trouble picking a TW faction to play while reading 'Ghost'...Macedon? Sparta? Seleucids? All fascinating factions.

Maybe some other I haven't even thought of yet?

Ptolemaic Egypt?

I think the Diadochi Wars would be a good start setting for the CK2 engine too.  Paradox needs to get on it.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 03, 2014, 08:36:27 AM
TW games have always been gateways to historical eras I don't know much about...the Greek Successor States are my newest :)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on February 03, 2014, 10:47:12 AM
Ghost on the Throne was a great read as was The Gothic War about Justinian's campaign to re-claim Italy from the Goths. I prefer post-Republic to the pre-Republic timeline but an extended Punic Wars DLC would get my money. I wish CA would do a Warring-States in China kind of thing sometime but maybe they think there would be a lack of interest in the subject.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 03, 2014, 03:06:10 PM
I would buy a Warring States TW so fast it would snap your neck. It really does not make any sense that they have not done the Warring States...it seems so similar to Japanese Warring States period.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on February 03, 2014, 03:24:02 PM
Totally agree. And it would be a fresh subject for them-- and us. I had hoped CA would add an African or Chinese DLC for ETW. Maybe too politically incorrect. But they already had the elephants lined-up ready to go. ;D
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 03, 2014, 03:37:59 PM
Koei Games made a whole industry out of the Chinese warring states!
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Martok on February 04, 2014, 08:50:49 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 03, 2014, 03:06:10 PM
I would buy a Warring States TW so fast it would snap your neck. It really does not make any sense that they have not done the Warring States
I cannot second this strongly enough.  With the possible exception of the Peloponnesian War, there is no period I want more badly to get the TW treatment. 

Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 04, 2014, 09:04:03 AM
Now that you mention it I don't know why the haven't done a Greek-centric TW either. At least with the Rome games Greek factions are included, even if they are in the twilight of their power in this era.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 05, 2014, 01:44:28 PM
Poking around TWC I saw a similar conversation to this and mention of a Beast of War DLC, allegedly about Hannibal's campaigns:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?640435-quot-Beasts-of-War-quot-DLC
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on February 05, 2014, 02:09:05 PM
Hannibal or some of my old girlfriends. 8)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 05, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
^Hawt.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on February 05, 2014, 04:47:45 PM
Both Nefaro and I are hoping they will make a WW2 expansion
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 05, 2014, 05:01:01 PM
:/
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: magnus on February 05, 2014, 05:04:17 PM
 Some one asked for some books on the Diadochi, here's a few.

The Wars of Alexander's Successors Volumes 1and 2. One is about the wars and one is about the battles.

Antigonus the one-eyed and the creation of the Hellenistic state.

Dividing the Spoils.

Pyrrhus, by Jeff Champion.

There is also another biography of Pyrrhus written about 20 years ago, it is supposed to be the best. Unfortunately it runs $200+.

Sorry for the delay in the list.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 05, 2014, 05:05:36 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on February 05, 2014, 02:09:05 PM
Hannibal or some of my old girlfriends. 8)

I had a girlfriend that kinda acted like Hannibal Lecter, at one point.  ???
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 07, 2014, 02:59:08 PM
Got a Google Alert mentioning the Beasts of War DLC and it looks like it has something to do with the upcoming Warhammer TW...also, the Radious mod is now compatible with the newest patch.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 07, 2014, 05:46:28 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 07, 2014, 02:59:08 PM
Got a Google Alert mentioning the Beasts of War DLC and it looks like it has something to do with the upcoming Warhammer TW...also, the Radious mod is now compatible with the newest patch.

I keep forgetting that they're creating a Warhammer Total War.  Hopefully it's in better release day shape.

Still crossing my fingers for a Successor War era add-on or standalone for Rome 2.  :D
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 07, 2014, 05:53:38 PM
Me too :)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:05:08 PM
which one?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 07, 2014, 06:46:15 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:05:08 PM
which one?

Add-on or Standalone TW Diadochi Wars, that is. 

These are not the droids you're looking for.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.fjcdn.com%2Fpictures%2FThe%2Bdroids%2Byou%2Bre%2Blooking%2Bfor%2B.%2BFollow%2Bme%2Bon%2BTumblr%2B%255E%255E_c25157_3322075.jpg&hash=e3b62a5f9d8b7d1e554191d1586cea44be8df564)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:48:40 PM
lol, sorry meant are you looking forward to DLC or Warhammer
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 07, 2014, 06:49:27 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:48:40 PM
lol, sorry meant are you looking forward to DLC or Warhammer

Probably Warhammer more but I'd be happy with either.  I'm curious as to how well they will do a non-historical setting.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 07, 2014, 06:57:08 PM
only the lore guys are going to get their pantys in a twist if something goes wrong

we need Sir Andrew for that!
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 07, 2014, 07:47:29 PM
Diacochi Wars. But Warhammer too. Although I haven't heard anything on it...even if its going to be released this year, etc.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 12, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
GIG UH TY:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/121456-Beasts-of-War-Pack-announced%21?p=1056343#post1056343
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 08:57:54 PM
Of course people are complaining "I don't want snakes and camels"..lol yeah, I don't either, it's dumb...so don't buy it. People act like its being forced on them. Kind of like the Aztec invasion DLC to Eu4 or Ck2...whichever one. Stupid idea so I didn't buy it. No point getting spun up
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: TheCommandTent on February 12, 2014, 08:59:44 PM
Quote from: mikeck on February 12, 2014, 08:57:54 PM
Of course people are complaining "I don't want snakes and camels"..lol yeah, I don't either, it's dumb...so don't buy it. People act like its being forced on them. Kind of like the Aztec invasion DLC to Eu4 or Ck2...whichever one. Stupid idea so I didn't buy it. No point getting spun up

See, that kind of thinking would require common sense which just seems to be completely lacking out on the interwebz. ::)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on February 12, 2014, 09:28:14 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
GIG UH TY:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/121456-Beasts-of-War-Pack-announced%21?p=1056343#post1056343


Wow.  Didn't see that coming.  Especially since the "Flaming Pig" types of units so often drew ridicule in the first RTW.   At least there is some basis for some of these like camels and elephants.  But there is some nutty stuff in there, so I wouldn't look at this DLC as being an all-round crowd pleaser.  ??? 
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on February 12, 2014, 11:38:47 PM
Wait until PETA hears about this. They'll be flinging PETA Pots at CA.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on February 13, 2014, 02:18:24 AM
ahh i thought beasts of war had been confirmed as a slip of the button from the WH game - go snakes
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Martok on February 13, 2014, 11:13:38 AM
Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
GIG UH TY:

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/121456-Beasts-of-War-Pack-announced%21?p=1056343#post1056343
Yeah, I'll definitely be skipping this one.  Don't see the appeal at all. 

Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 13, 2014, 11:43:42 AM
It appears I am the only fan of this. Oh well.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Martok on February 13, 2014, 12:09:24 PM
We still love you, Gus.  :)  Hug? 

Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on February 13, 2014, 01:07:37 PM
Sure!
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on March 12, 2014, 07:19:43 PM
Hannibal at the Gates:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?644327-Hannibal-at-the-gates-DLC-campaign-pack!

Kinda, sorta announced. Release date and details a bit unclear.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on March 12, 2014, 08:04:06 PM
Well I tried to read the forum thread but it turned into a "patch 10 sucks" thread. News flash: ITS A BETA" people are offered the chance to at with a beta patch meaning it's not complete and has errors that need fixing....yet they complain that there are problems with the patch?? Yeah, that's why it's a beta patch.

Anyway, I think they did a good job with Caesar in Gaul so I will pick this one up. Not a big fan of pre Marius roman armies though. I like my Hollywood Romans
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on March 13, 2014, 07:52:12 AM
Me too but there is something about Carthage that makes me happy.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 13, 2014, 08:22:43 AM
see i knew youd come around in the end
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on March 13, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
Come around? I've been here all along.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: undercovergeek on March 13, 2014, 02:28:19 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2014, 01:00:15 PM
Come around? I've been here all along.

To the power of the barcas.... none of you're eastern provinces tosh
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on March 13, 2014, 05:39:44 PM
Ah...well both are equally interesting now that I'm into ancients. Eastern factions have their perks, Carthage have theirs. Hard not to like war elephants!
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Sir Slash on March 15, 2014, 09:27:29 AM
And the Hannibal At The Gates DLC is available now for Pre-Order at Steam-- $13.49. Release March 27th. I think I'll be strong this time and hold-out until maybe Monday.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on March 15, 2014, 09:37:02 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 15, 2014, 09:27:29 AM
And the Hannibal At The Gates DLC is available now for Pre-Order at Steam-- $13.49. Release March 27th. I think I'll be strong this time and hold-out until maybe Monday.

Buy it at Gamefly and you can pre-order for $10.79 using the code of MAR20OFF.

http://digital.gamefly.com/#!/download-total-war-rome-ii---hannibal-at-the-gates/5007794
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Gusington on March 15, 2014, 10:36:54 AM
^Awesome, thanks. Considering that Caesar in Gaul never went on sale as far as I know, I'll probably pick up HatG from GameFly. Is there a time limit to their offer? My guess from the code would be until March 20 :)

EDIT: Gamefly works with Steam activation right?

EDIT 2: Yes, Steam activation.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on March 15, 2014, 04:43:46 PM
Quote from: Gusington on March 15, 2014, 10:36:54 AM
^Awesome, thanks. Considering that Caesar in Gaul never went on sale as far as I know, I'll probably pick up HatG from GameFly. Is there a time limit to their offer? My guess from the code would be until March 20 :)

EDIT: Gamefly works with Steam activation right?

EDIT 2: Yes, Steam activation.

No problem...thought it was a good deal...I still haven't bought Gaul, but might do so....thought it would have gone on sale by now, but it has held pretty steady since launch.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 08:31:52 PM
I like it but your not missing anything earth shattering.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Grim.Reaper on March 16, 2014, 04:38:43 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 08:31:52 PM
I like it but your not missing anything earth shattering.

Question...I haven't fully engaged in playing TW:Rome yet, was going to wait until all the patching kind of settled down and looks like patch 10 is around the corner.  I was thinking of Gaul because I thought the campaign was smaller and might be something good to cut my teeth on.  Is that a good approach?  Or is playing vanilla better?
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Nefaro on March 16, 2014, 08:35:30 AM
Bah!

I tried Beta Patch 10 yesterday.  Had such a monumental CTD, it blue screened to keep my hardware from exploding.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.arwrath.com%2F6%2F64013.gif&hash=1cfc6bf55228dfd4e1521820e6677c155f0c404e)
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 11:12:46 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on March 16, 2014, 04:38:43 AM
Quote from: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 08:31:52 PM
I like it but your not missing anything earth shattering.

Question...I haven't fully engaged in playing TW:Rome yet, was going to wait until all the patching kind of settled down and looks like patch 10 is around the corner.  I was thinking of Gaul because I thought the campaign was smaller and might be something good to cut my teeth on.  Is that a good approach?  Or is playing vanilla better?

I find the Caesar in Gaul campaign to be far more difficult than the grand campaign so don't let the size fool you. I would start grand campaign with the radious mod, DEI mod or vanilla

Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: mikeck on March 16, 2014, 11:14:20 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 16, 2014, 08:35:30 AM
Bah!

I tried Beta Patch 10 yesterday.  Had such a monumental CTD, it blue screened to keep my hardware from exploding.


(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.arwrath.com%2F6%2F64013.gif&hash=1cfc6bf55228dfd4e1521820e6677c155f0c404e)

Haven't tried it...and won't as long as it's beta
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: MengJiao on March 17, 2014, 12:20:47 PM
Quote from: Sir Slash on March 15, 2014, 09:27:29 AM
And the Hannibal At The Gates DLC is available now for Pre-Order at Steam-- $13.49. Release March 27th. I think I'll be strong this time and hold-out until maybe Monday.

  This is going to be so great.  Gaul was kind of depressing -- but Hannibal!  Now that's gotta be fun fun fun.  Anyway.  I'll get it when it comes out.
Title: Re: Future DLC for Rome 2 TW?
Post by: Skoop on March 17, 2014, 02:05:05 PM
Played through ceasar in Gaul and it was cool, definitely more challenging than the grand campaign.  The patch 9 agent spam by the ai was brutal and to top it off all the tribes hate you and come at you from every where.  One thing I like is how you get the unique units from the dlc into the grand campaign,so I will get the dlc at some point.  Not that there isn't already a ton of mods adding units out there for free.