GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 09:18:30 PM

Title: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
Have any of you played this lately?

It's free, of course, but after I saw the 1200+ achievements on Steam I paid the seven bucks or so to get some of the extra features.  I'm normally not an Achievement whore but such things really shine in Rogue-ish RPGs. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/

Even on the regular setting (the one that gives you extra "lives" as you progress), I've still only made it just past level 20.  The difficulty seems to stay pretty steady as you progress, which is great.  8)
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Jack Nastyface on February 23, 2014, 05:00:49 PM
Whew...on first reading the title for this thread, I admittedly thought "oh no! Tekumel and the Empire of the Petal Throne has gone Rogue".  I misplaced my pronunciation guide many many years ago, and am loathe to re-learn the language in these my Autumn years.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: son_of_montfort on February 23, 2014, 11:45:40 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
Have any of you played this lately?

It's free, of course, but after I saw the 1200+ achievements on Steam I paid the seven bucks or so to get some of the extra features.  I'm normally not an Achievement whore but such things really shine in Rogue-ish RPGs. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/

Even on the regular setting (the one that gives you extra "lives" as you progress), I've still only made it just past level 20.  The difficulty seems to stay pretty steady as you progress, which is great.  8)

I find it super addictive, but I haven't been able to make it very far on any character. The difficulty ramps up dramatically after the first two "dungeons" and I always stumble upon some monster with a purple border that tears my face off.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on February 24, 2014, 12:08:06 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 23, 2014, 11:45:40 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 09:18:30 PM
Have any of you played this lately?

It's free, of course, but after I saw the 1200+ achievements on Steam I paid the seven bucks or so to get some of the extra features.  I'm normally not an Achievement whore but such things really shine in Rogue-ish RPGs. 

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/

Even on the regular setting (the one that gives you extra "lives" as you progress), I've still only made it just past level 20.  The difficulty seems to stay pretty steady as you progress, which is great.  8)

I find it super addictive, but I haven't been able to make it very far on any character. The difficulty ramps up dramatically after the first two "dungeons" and I always stumble upon some monster with a purple border that tears my face off.

Go to the "The Old Forest" last, of the four dungeons on that initial list.   

Minor Spoiler:  It's the one with the underwater entrance in the final outdoor area.  The Sher'Tul fortress where you will get a 'base' of sorts when you defeat the final monster - which is probably the purple-bordered Horror that melts your face.  I think there was some specific info about defeating that thing which can come in handy (like it will heal if you do something specific, or allow it to).   He certainly has some shield that he will enable and I think that any damage you do while the shield is up may heal him.  At least I've seen that behavior with one or two bosses who have such shield barriers.    Also be sure to read their pop-up info because that lists their damage reduction percentages.  You don't want to be using something that does Darkness damage against a monster that has 100% Darkness resist (or even 50%).

I usually get up to him and then leave to go do a couple other dungeons to level up and gear up a bit more.  It always makes fighting him easier after clearing the other dungeons on your quest log list (and some wandering bandit parties if the opportunity presents itself).
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on February 24, 2014, 12:15:06 PM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on February 23, 2014, 05:00:49 PM
Whew...on first reading the title for this thread, I admittedly thought "oh no! Tekumel and the Empire of the Petal Throne has gone Rogue".  I misplaced my pronunciation guide many many years ago, and am loathe to re-learn the language in these my Autumn years.

I seem to recall having a 3rd party RPG campaign set for that when I was young.  I recall the big good-looking map in it and the not-so-fancy background book.  I think the book was just bound in glossy card stock with blue ink print on the cover.   :D   Some weird stuff compared to other fantasy settings, but it was interesting.

I may be thinking of a different setting, however.   It's been a long time.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: PanzersEast on February 24, 2014, 05:21:30 PM
Probably one of the best Rougue-Like games ever made.....  And the achievements.... I would not get 1/1000 of them, unless like failing over and over are many of them.



PE
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on March 08, 2014, 02:36:09 PM
The Steam edition has been on sale for 30% off.  Ends after the weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_6

I believe the paid version gives you a few minor extras and allows you to store items from one character for another.  Not a huge leap over the free version but at less than $10, I thought the developer deserved to get paid for this little indie gem.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: FlickJax on March 09, 2014, 07:34:28 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 08, 2014, 02:36:09 PM
The Steam edition has been on sale for 30% off.  Ends after the weekend.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/259680/?snr=1_7_7_204_150_6

I believe the paid version gives you a few minor extras and allows you to store items from one character for another.  Not a huge leap over the free version but at less than $10, I thought the developer deserved to get paid for this little indie gem.

Thankyou I grabbed it :)
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on June 03, 2014, 09:15:23 AM
v1.2 patch was just released with some new stuff and improvements..  O0


http://te4.org/blogs/darkgod/2014/05/news/tales-majeyal-120-aka-exercise-vital-powers-released
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: spelk on June 03, 2014, 04:26:36 PM
I wish there was some way to co-op this game, but it would be difficult to do that turn-based I guess.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on June 03, 2014, 07:42:23 PM
Quote from: spelk on June 03, 2014, 04:26:36 PM
I wish there was some way to co-op this game, but it would be difficult to do that turn-based I guess.

I do enjoy seeing the messages about other people's horrid deaths, however.  At least there is a built-in chat, although it can be hit or miss getting answers to questions on it, depending on who is paying attention.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: skeptical.platypus on June 08, 2014, 07:36:03 PM
Nefaro, have you ever thought of a Nefaro Channel or something? I'm completely serious. You have played or know something about every single game I've ever heard of, and I learn about more games I didn't even know I should be interested in by following your posts than anyone else's.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on June 09, 2014, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on June 08, 2014, 07:36:03 PM
Nefaro, have you ever thought of a Nefaro Channel or something? I'm completely serious. You have played or know something about every single game I've ever heard of, and I learn about more games I didn't even know I should be interested in by following your posts than anyone else's.

Oh, it has crossed my mind before.  But that would cut into all that gameplay variety!  A quandary!  ;D
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: skeptical.platypus on June 11, 2014, 01:31:17 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 09, 2014, 09:32:46 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on June 08, 2014, 07:36:03 PM
Nefaro, have you ever thought of a Nefaro Channel or something? I'm completely serious. You have played or know something about every single game I've ever heard of, and I learn about more games I didn't even know I should be interested in by following your posts than anyone else's.

Oh, it has crossed my mind before.  But that would cut into all that gameplay variety!  A quandary!  ;D

But . . . but. . . What about me?!?

(btw, I've released my trademark on  "The Nefarious GIC," on the chance you change your mind and need an awesome nom de channel.)
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on June 11, 2014, 02:33:25 PM
Doing LPs looks like a part-time job.  Maybe some day I'll devote a little time to it, and it won't feel like work?  :crazy2:  Just the handful of WOFF recordings I posted to YouTube seemed to take up a lot of time, and I did no voice-overs and very little editing.  :'(

I enjoy watching people's vids.  A few of them put an assload of time into it too.  :o  Must be like modding.. once you get rolling, you do that more than playing.  ;D
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: skeptical.platypus on June 11, 2014, 04:04:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 11, 2014, 02:33:25 PM
Must be like modding.. once you get rolling, you do that more than playing.  ;D

For both modders and people using mods! I think I've spent more time finding, downloading, installing, tweaking, and mixing Skyrim with mods than actually playing Skyrim, at least recently.
Title: Re: TOME - Tales of Maj'Eyal
Post by: Nefaro on June 12, 2014, 12:37:18 AM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on June 11, 2014, 04:04:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 11, 2014, 02:33:25 PM
Must be like modding.. once you get rolling, you do that more than playing.  ;D

For both modders and people using mods! I think I've spent more time finding, downloading, installing, tweaking, and mixing Skyrim with mods than actually playing Skyrim, at least recently.

I started modifying mods, and then making some of my own mods, with Silent Hunter 4.  Made myself stop because I had started spending all my time modding and not actually playing the damn thing.  I have a lot of respect for those modders who stick to it, even if they're bonafide addicts.  ;D