GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: MetalDog on March 14, 2014, 06:08:54 AM

Title: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on March 14, 2014, 06:08:54 AM
Looks like it will be EUIV as Castile.  Single player as well as MP.  Haven't played as much as I would have liked through the week.  Not sure I will as much as I like this weekend either, but I'm going to give it my best.


Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: tgb on March 14, 2014, 06:25:13 AM
Qvadriga, certainly.  Plus I finally got around to getting Xenonauts, so that will be on the table as well.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2014, 06:25:29 AM
Final day of the rugby and off to Wales to watch Scotland eek a victory against the mighty Welsh.

Lets hope Ireland wrap up O'Driscolls career with a Championship win this year.

On a gaming note, nothing Saturday obviously, but tonight I'll give ArmA III another outing - see if I can't get past the first scenario in Chapter 2! Sunday will likely see more Qvadriga - and maybe even tonight - it's that easy to get a turn in...and another, and another!

COME ON SCOTLAND!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 14, 2014, 07:12:11 AM
Wasn't it you Judge who said the game wasn't for you? How dare you sir.

I haven't played anything in 10 days and actually cleared up some space on my HD of games I finally decided I will never touch again. Next will be the Dark Mod if I can get it to run. If not that, Shogun 2 Fall of the Samurai beckons. And perhaps some Assassins Creed Black Flag.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2014, 07:20:01 AM
Yes Gus - that was me. Subject matter didn't interest me. Demo was dire. Graphically it was not my bag...and then someone linked to a video!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Slick Wilhelm on March 14, 2014, 08:01:50 AM
It's Formula One time, baby!


So other than watching F1, I'll be playing Wings Over Flanders Fields and World of Tanks.

Hard to believe, but I think I've been playing WOT for about three years solid, now. Amazing.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Anguille on March 14, 2014, 08:16:00 AM
Not going to play a lot this weekend but it's going to be:

- Storm over the Pacific pbem
- Armada 2525 pbem

We'll see if there's any space left for something else...

Cheers
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: PanzersEast on March 14, 2014, 08:24:36 AM

FSX with FS Captain.... Darkest Night and maybe some Xenonauts or _______________



PE
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Barthheart on March 14, 2014, 08:34:20 AM
VASSAL work.

Not sure what else... I'm off Banished.... maybe get back to CiV....

Maybe a board game.....

Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Sir Slash on March 14, 2014, 08:47:32 AM
I'm in a Skyrim mood. Lydia and I just got to Morthal for the very first time, with a U-Haul full of loot and just my luck, it's night and nobody's store is open. Guess we'll have to have ale and sweet rolls until daylight. There's a demo for Age of Decadence on Steam. I might give that a try too.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: sandman2575 on March 14, 2014, 08:48:31 AM
Rome II (now that it works for me) has finally dethroned Crusader Kings II, which had been dominating my play time for weeks.  Really getting into the Divide et Impera mod, which, with the "GEM" mod, is really a thing of beauty to behold.  Game has sucked me in big time.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Tuna on March 14, 2014, 09:04:38 AM
I will continue my Western version of Kursk CMBN pbem game with Con.

Definitely continuing Rome II campaign.. and definitely some FSX flights..
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: undercovergeek on March 14, 2014, 09:40:45 AM
Rome II - i have set foot on the heathen lands of the Roman for the first time after getting booted out of Africa so we'll see what happens there

Banished - 50 people and looking good so far

EUIV - Austria, blackmailing and cajoling the pain in the arse electors to vote for me whilst simultaneously defending them from attacks by Italian lords - ungrateful bastards
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 14, 2014, 10:40:01 AM
I can't even look at you, Judge :)

And welcome to you next 10000 hours of gaming Sandman. I am trying to resist the pull of Pontus in Rome 2 just so I can get something else in before I give in. Like Shogun 2 :)
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Bison on March 14, 2014, 10:40:33 AM
SWTOR double xp weekend yay!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: mirth on March 14, 2014, 10:41:17 AM
Quote from: Bison on March 14, 2014, 10:40:33 AM
SWTOR double xp weekend yay!

Sweet!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 14, 2014, 10:44:29 AM
No cursewords for Friday eh?
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Ian C on March 14, 2014, 10:47:16 AM
Black Ice mod for HOI3 Their Finest Hour
Just Cause 2
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2014, 10:52:46 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 14, 2014, 10:40:01 AM
I can't even look at you, Judge :)

And welcome to you next 10000 hours of gaming Sandman. I am trying to resist the pull of Pontus in Rome 2 just so I can get something else in before I give in. Like Shogun 2 :)
:-[
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: JasonPratt on March 14, 2014, 10:56:46 AM
Trying to plausibly hack my way through World War 1 as Ethiopia in Darkest Hour, currently early May 1915. Next up, dealing with a classic Monkey's Paw situation. Helpfully foreshadowed in my AAR by accident sort of.

(Yay for narrative prescience!  8) Boo for forgetting a key HOI game mechanic... or two...  :-[ )
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: sandman2575 on March 14, 2014, 11:02:33 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 14, 2014, 10:40:01 AM
And welcome to you next 10000 hours of gaming Sandman. I am trying to resist the pull of Pontus in Rome 2 just so I can get something else in before I give in. Like Shogun 2 :)

I think you might be right  8)  Can't remember the last time I had a case of "Just One More Turn"-itis like this.  Damn addictive. 

Not sure why Shogun 2 never clicked for me -- it's at the top of my "Games I Intend To Go Back To At Some Point" list.  As is Empire TW -- still kind of the unloved stepchild of TW games, but I had tons of fun with TROM and Darth mod in the past -- probably worth a look-see again.

But for now -- "Proud Romans, all!"
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: bbmike on March 14, 2014, 11:05:20 AM
I have a hankering for some American Civil War action but don't really want to play anything too detailed. I wonder why there isn't a Civil War game kind of like Panzer Corps? I do have John Tillers but it needs a facelift.

That said I'll try to work in some Xenonauts (my first attempt ended with EVERYONE dead) and maybe start a game of Warlock to prepare me for Warlock 2.

Hmm, I just remembered Age of Rifles has some Civil War scenarios in it. I wonder if that will be good enough? Time to find those CDs again...
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Greybriar on March 14, 2014, 12:30:09 PM
For reasons (http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/blog/13154922/ride-into-action-on-your-hearthsteed-3-11-2014) I won't go into here, I began playing Hearthstone (http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/) yesterday and enjoyed it. So I expect I will focus on it this weekend.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MengJiao on March 14, 2014, 01:12:52 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on March 14, 2014, 06:25:29 AM
On a gaming note, nothing Saturday obviously, but tonight I'll give ArmA III another outing - see if I can't get past the first scenario in Chapter 2! Sunday will likely see more Qvadriga - and maybe even tonight - it's that easy to get a turn in...and another, and another!

COME ON SCOTLAND!


    I was planning an East Front week end (getting ready for CM:Red Thunder and BoS) with panzer Battles and Roads to Leningrad (boardgame), but (on a healthier note) -- ARMAIII has some new stuff.  I may go diving on a wreck or something.  I already drove the new TEMPEST mine-tolerant Truck.  I didn't hit anything so...all was well.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Kushan on March 14, 2014, 02:15:42 PM
Xenonauts - Thanks to the revival of the thread I started playing it again this week. About 2.5 months into my current game on normal. Had to do a few full restarts after full team wipes on a few missions.

Command - With the release of v1.03, I need to update my carrier imports. I am also planning on doing a couple of hypothetical alternates of the current CV groups that feature F-14 "Quickstrike" or F-14 "Tomcat 21's", instead of F-18C's.

Diablo 3 - More legendary grinding and killing time before the expansion

TITANFALL - Probably the best MP shooter I've played in a long time. Even without all the "features" of Battlefield or ArmA 3, its still really fun to play.

May get some Wasteland 2 in, but I'm trying to not over play it while its in beta.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 03:19:02 PM
EU IV: game as England starting in 1500. This game never excited me....it's just relaxing to play. I think it's because any mistake you make can be coffered because it lasts so long

Rome II: playing as Rome of course; with the sole purpose of protecting Rome from barbarian heathens (like Gus and Undercover) through an "active" defense.

Command: I feel like blowing up Soviet ships...who doesn't!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: KyzBP on March 14, 2014, 04:39:28 PM
Like everyone else playing Xenonauts, I'll be sending Privates to Terror Sites because there's no one else left to send.  I may splurge on one of the College Basketball games out there.  It's almost tournament time.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM
So if I wanted to play one of these "aliens attack" games for the first time, should I play  xcom or xenonauts. Keep in mind in do like the graphics of  xcom but I think I would prefer the one that is more complex and strategically deep
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Arctic Blast on March 14, 2014, 09:31:05 PM
Finished South Park : The Stick of Truth (which was fantastic), so it's time for a new game. Undecided what that game will be as of yet...

And the board game trades keep rolling in. I might bust out the old GW version of Warrior Knights this weekend to compare it to the FFG version. And Wallenstein and Terra Mystica need to be tried.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Kushan on March 14, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 03:19:02 PM
Command: I feel like blowing up Soviet ships...who doesn't!

I might having something for you in the near future. Up until last weekend I was working on import files for the 1980's Soviet northern fleet, until I accidentally deleted the spreadsheet from google docs. Hope to have it recreated in the next few weeks, after that the imports shoudn't take too long as long as my work schedule cooperates or I get distracted by something new and shiny like the Diablo 3 expansion.

Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM
So if I wanted to play one of these "aliens attack" games for the first time, should I play  xcom or xenonauts. Keep in mind in do like the graphics of  xcom but I think I would prefer the one that is more complex and strategically deep

Xenonauts
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: -budd- on March 14, 2014, 11:52:36 PM
Well i broke down and bought qvadriga like the weak pathetic game addict i am. So Qvadriga and probably some more 7 days to Die, expecting alpha 7.6 to drop tomorrow.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: undercovergeek on March 15, 2014, 05:22:38 AM
Well Friday night gaming turned into 3am Saturday gaming with Banished when yellow fever broke out

But now i have cows and chickens!!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 15, 2014, 07:53:52 AM
With yellow fever?
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: bbmike on March 15, 2014, 07:58:58 AM
Quote from: Kushan on March 14, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
[
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM
So if I wanted to play one of these "aliens attack" games for the first time, should I play  xcom or xenonauts. Keep in mind in do like the graphics of  xcom but I think I would prefer the one that is more complex and strategically deep

Xenonauts

+1. (But XCOM EU is also fun.)
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: KyzBP on March 15, 2014, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: bbmike on March 15, 2014, 07:58:58 AM
Quote from: Kushan on March 14, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
[
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM
So if I wanted to play one of these "aliens attack" games for the first time, should I play  xcom or xenonauts. Keep in mind in do like the graphics of  xcom but I think I would prefer the one that is more complex and strategically deep

Xenonauts

+1. (But XCOM EU is also fun.)
+2.
I'd go with Xenonauts because, even though it's in Beta, it's challenging as hell.  If you want very nice graphics then go with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, if you want to see what the original hype is all about, and don't mind 1994 graphics, then X-Com: UFO Defense is the way to go.  Let us know which one you go with.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: undercovergeek on March 15, 2014, 09:48:54 AM
Quote from: Gusington on March 15, 2014, 07:53:52 AM
With yellow fever?

its possible!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: mikeck on March 15, 2014, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: KyzBP on March 15, 2014, 08:21:47 AM
Quote from: bbmike on March 15, 2014, 07:58:58 AM
Quote from: Kushan on March 14, 2014, 10:18:59 PM
[
Quote from: mikeck on March 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM
So if I wanted to play one of these "aliens attack" games for the first time, should I play  xcom or xenonauts. Keep in mind in do like the graphics of  xcom but I think I would prefer the one that is more complex and strategically deep

Xenonauts

+1. (But XCOM EU is also fun.)
+2.
I'd go with Xenonauts because, even though it's in Beta, it's challenging as hell.  If you want very nice graphics then go with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, if you want to see what the original hype is all about, and don't mind 1994 graphics, then X-Com: UFO Defense is the way to go.  Let us know which one you go with.

Thanks Guys, I'll let you know never really played the original so it's can have to be one of the safe warm really in the mood for it but when I am I'll pick up Xenonauts
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 15, 2014, 10:34:50 AM
^That was bbmike
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Ian C on March 15, 2014, 11:30:16 AM
Going against my better nature I bought South Park: Stick of Truth.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Arctic Blast on March 15, 2014, 01:57:27 PM
Quote from: Ian C on March 15, 2014, 11:30:16 AM
Going against my better nature I bought South Park: Stick of Truth.

It's really good. And legitimately funny.

One issue...the QTE tests to learn new...let's go with 'spells'. If you run into trouble, ask. They're insanely easy to do if you've figured out the trick to them.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 15, 2014, 02:08:29 PM
Yeah, if you're using mouse and keyboard the on-screen prompts for South Park are useless.  They're very misleading and will lead to a lot of frustration, especially when learning the new "magic" skills.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Nefaro on March 15, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on March 14, 2014, 04:39:28 PM
Like everyone else playing Xenonauts, I'll be sending Privates to Terror Sites because there's no one else left to send.  I may splurge on one of the College Basketball games out there.  It's almost tournament time.

Don't put your privates in dangerous places!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: bbmike on March 15, 2014, 06:36:11 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on March 15, 2014, 04:59:49 PM
Quote from: KyzBP on March 14, 2014, 04:39:28 PM
Like everyone else playing Xenonauts, I'll be sending Privates to Terror Sites because there's no one else left to send.  I may splurge on one of the College Basketball games out there.  It's almost tournament time.

Don't put your privates in dangerous places!

Excellent advice!  ;D
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Toonces on March 15, 2014, 09:30:19 PM
I just finished downloading F1: 2013 edition during the free weekend trial on Steam.  I have 2012, but I don't see any reason not to upgrade for $15.  So I'm gonna break out the wheel and give that a spin tonight.

The bad thing about F1, though, is that I've found that I really can't play it after I've had a few beers.  It's just about the only game in my collection that I simply cannot play after drinking!  I've landed my share of 737s in blinding snow storms, and shot down many a MiG and zero with a few beers in me, but driving these race cars just doesn't work for some reason.   8)

Once I have the wheel hooked up, I may give Euro Trucker 2 a spin as well, finally.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on March 16, 2014, 02:19:26 AM
It's 2:20 am in the year 1454.  I am Savoy.  I have beaten back Switzerland.  Lost Cuneo to Heretics and was about to lose Nice before they just disappeared off the board.  Genoa has been stripped of Corsica and has only 3,000 troops.  Their big ally, Lithuania is too far way to help and I just spent the last year ganing a Casus Belli on Liguria to make Genoa mine.  And then Tuscany, my ally, goes to war with the Pope.  Tuscany calls on me to honor our alliance.  With great loss of face and positve relations with Tuscany, I decline.  The Pope's nuncio arrives just days after and reminds me of my alliance obligation to him.  I refuse him as well, with the same consequences.  And once my truce expires with Genoa in a few months, war, it will be, to expand my influence and power.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2014, 10:23:42 AM
Where's the maniacal laughter?
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on March 16, 2014, 12:00:00 PM
I think that would be a bit...premature ;)  I thought I was going to have to start over when the Heretics took Cuneo and were marching on Nice.  He had 11 regiments (8,000 Men At Arms and 3,000 Chevauchee) and a sterling general who put my generals statistics to shame.  PLUS, I had only 5,000 of my own troops (4 & 1) and less than 3,000 men in the reinforcement pool.  If he had taken Nice and started marching on Piedmont, I would have started over.  I'm a little sad (as well as relieved) that I didn't AAR this.  I suppose I could, but the AAR storytellers have made realize that I am not a storyteller.  And I would like to be.  Plus, that's a LOT of work.  But we'll see.  THEN you'll know when to cue the maniacal laughter.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2014, 01:52:16 PM
Maybe I should get this and have you play it for me.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MetalDog on March 16, 2014, 04:28:17 PM
If I had known that was the deal, I would have let you buy it so I could play it.  Next time, speak up!
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: Gusington on March 16, 2014, 05:12:39 PM
Too busy trying to decide what to play next.
Title: Re: Pleased to meet hope you guessed I'm FRIDAY!
Post by: MengJiao on March 17, 2014, 12:25:18 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 14, 2014, 01:12:52 PM

    I was planning an East Front week end (getting ready for CM:Red Thunder and BoS) with panzer Battles and Roads to Leningrad (boardgame), but (on a healthier note) -- ARMAIII has some new stuff.  I may go diving on a wreck or something.  I already drove the new TEMPEST mine-tolerant Truck.  I didn't hit anything so...all was well.

  So what happened?  It was a fine gaming week-end: a reasonable amount of PB PBEM and Roads to Leningrad and some fine hours of ARMAIII....my interest in ARMAIII seems to have reached the levels it had for the early alpha days on Stratis: inexplicatble massacres, jet crashes etc.