GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: steve58 on March 22, 2014, 08:16:48 AM

Title: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: steve58 on March 22, 2014, 08:16:48 AM
Seems to be a great year for fantasy game lovers.  I never played Chaos: The Battle of Wizards, but this one certainly looks interesting.


http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/03/17/chaos-reborn-preview/

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Boggit on March 22, 2014, 08:19:03 AM
You can't go wrong with a Gollop Game. 8)
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: FlickJax on March 22, 2014, 08:24:45 AM
oh well, that is a day one purchase for me. I loved Chaos on my Spectrum.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: steve58 on April 10, 2014, 05:02:06 PM
6 days to go in the Kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co) and a write-up on Spacesector (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/04/chaos-reborn-the-battle-of-wizards-classic-is-back/).
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: FlickJax on April 25, 2014, 03:10:03 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1206403106/chaos-reborn-from-the-creator-of-the-original-x-co

It made it :)
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Nefaro on July 06, 2015, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?

I tried a couple games against the AI. 

It would probably be a good game if your spell plays didn't wholly rely on a simple percentage chance of them actually succeeding. 

While I usually enjoy such Risk vs Reward situations in games, this one seems to be exceptionally prone to being screwed by RNGesus.  I specifically recall one game where I failed to cast three spells in a row (at around 70% success chance each), thus losing those three turns.  All while the opponent was succeeding each turn in summoning monsters to come pummel me continuously.

There's no recourse for getting screwed like that, either, so matches can start off terribly for one person and they'll be behind the whole time.  That was the impression I got.   It's like a competitive board game, but one that has a simplistically bad mechanic at it's heart.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 07:13:33 PM
Bleh, that's precisely why I didn't like Space Hulk.  I guess I'll scratch it off the list then.  Cheers Nef.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: vyshka on July 06, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.

Same reason they always put Sid Meier's name on the box? Before he was known for xcom he was known for the original version of this game.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 08:54:09 PM
Quote from: vyshka on July 06, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.

Same reason they always put Sid Meier's name on the box? Before he was known for xcom he was known for the original version of this game.

I'd think they would want to stress that more, no? I had no idea this was even a remake.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Nefaro on July 06, 2015, 09:32:37 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 07:13:33 PM
Bleh, that's precisely why I didn't like Space Hulk.  I guess I'll scratch it off the list then.  Cheers Nef.

It's probably much worse.  Just a straight up percentage chance of actually working, depending on card level.  No environment variables and very few from abilities IIRC.

I think it would have great potential if they did something to improve that mechanic.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: FlickJax on July 07, 2015, 01:37:37 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 06, 2015, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?

I tried a couple games against the AI. 

It would probably be a good game if your spell plays didn't wholly rely on a simple percentage chance of them actually succeeding. 

While I usually enjoy such Risk vs Reward situations in games, this one seems to be exceptionally prone to being screwed by RNGesus.  I specifically recall one game where I failed to cast three spells in a row (at around 70% success chance each), thus losing those three turns.  All while the opponent was succeeding each turn in summoning monsters to come pummel me continuously.

There's no recourse for getting screwed like that, either, so matches can start off terribly for one person and they'll be behind the whole time.  That was the impression I got.   It's like a competitive board game, but one that has a simplistically bad mechanic at it's heart.


If you played the original game that was part of  mechanic, you could always cast an illusion which works 100% of the time but you then have the chance that the enemy wizard would dispel it, did you try dispel on any of his casts?
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: FarAway Sooner on July 07, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Seems like it might have a richer PvP angle than for solo play?
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Nefaro on July 07, 2015, 05:31:02 PM
Quote from: FlickJax on July 07, 2015, 01:37:37 AM



If you played the original game that was part of  mechanic, you could always cast an illusion which works 100% of the time but you then have the chance that the enemy wizard would dispel it, did you try dispel on any of his casts?

Yes.  Twice.   Nothing doing both times. 

I just started resorting to that in the hopes that the AI had cast some illusions, because it had been succeeding at it's cast rolls every turn.  Alas, that was not the case and I wasted more time trying to disbelieve some of them.


Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 07, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Seems like it might have a richer PvP angle than for solo play?

Definitely.  But for the same reason the huge dependence on the RNG rolls will still be a problem.

Like I said.. I enjoy games involving some chance dice rolling.  But this one didn't give me the warm fuzzies about it at all.  Most of the good ones also have ways of influencing your chances, via different extra mechanics, but this one was lacking in such.  Those kinds of extra mechanics are essential in these types, and this one lacks in that department and just uses a lame "shell game" one in it's stead.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: tgb on July 07, 2015, 08:48:45 PM
You DO understand that you can influence the chances of a spell being successful by spending mana, right?
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 07, 2015, 08:48:45 PM
You DO understand that you can influence the chances of a spell being successful by spending mana, right?

No, but I didn't play it very long.  Started a couple matches and played a few turns but things were already going south at that point, from the RNGelding.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Huw the Poo on July 08, 2015, 04:19:28 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
RNGelding

Brilliant!
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: tgb on July 08, 2015, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 07, 2015, 08:48:45 PM
You DO understand that you can influence the chances of a spell being successful by spending mana, right?

No, but I didn't play it very long.  Started a couple matches and played a few turns but things were already going south at that point, from the RNGelding.

So to sum up:  You're complaining about the rules of the game but don't actually know what all the rules are?  Is that about it?
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 07:00:31 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 08, 2015, 05:13:04 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on July 08, 2015, 03:01:11 PM
Quote from: tgb on July 07, 2015, 08:48:45 PM
You DO understand that you can influence the chances of a spell being successful by spending mana, right?

No, but I didn't play it very long.  Started a couple matches and played a few turns but things were already going south at that point, from the RNGelding.

So to sum up:  You're complaining about the rules of the game but don't actually know what all the rules are?  Is that about it?

That's about it.  Although the straight-up percentage chance of failing your one summon every turn is just a terrible mechanic in a 1v1 or competitive game.  It may have passed muster long ago, when there weren't so many games around, but it just gave me the impression of game balance relying far too much on single RNG rolls.  The aforementioned "shell game" bluff mechanic also sat poorly with me and pushed it over the edge.

That's just my first impressions.  I actually read the tutorial prompts the first time, although there wasn't much to them.  Admittedly, I rage quit after two starts against the AI, being quickly skewered with a few consecutively bad rolls in a row which put me far behind from the beginning.  I'd rather deal with the occasional poor draws in MTG or numerous other boardgame-ish competitive games than this setup. 

I won't give up hope on this one, and will try it again sometime, if you think it's worth the shot.  With stuff like Mordheim & others on their way to being finished, I haven't given Chaos Reborn a berth for a second go after that first encounter.  I need to be convinced or curious about something I may be missing.
Title: Re: Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)
Post by: bbmike on October 27, 2015, 11:41:36 AM
It's out today. Let those reviews start coming in. Then again, at $16.99 I'm sure I'll cave and buy it tonight.  :-[