Chaos Reborn (from creator of original X-COM and Chaos: The Battle of Wizards)

Started by steve58, March 22, 2014, 08:16:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

FlickJax

oh well, that is a day one purchase for me. I loved Chaos on my Spectrum.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)


Huw the Poo

I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?

Jarhead0331

I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?

I tried a couple games against the AI. 

It would probably be a good game if your spell plays didn't wholly rely on a simple percentage chance of them actually succeeding. 

While I usually enjoy such Risk vs Reward situations in games, this one seems to be exceptionally prone to being screwed by RNGesus.  I specifically recall one game where I failed to cast three spells in a row (at around 70% success chance each), thus losing those three turns.  All while the opponent was succeeding each turn in summoning monsters to come pummel me continuously.

There's no recourse for getting screwed like that, either, so matches can start off terribly for one person and they'll be behind the whole time.  That was the impression I got.   It's like a competitive board game, but one that has a simplistically bad mechanic at it's heart.

Huw the Poo

Bleh, that's precisely why I didn't like Space Hulk.  I guess I'll scratch it off the list then.  Cheers Nef.

vyshka

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.

Same reason they always put Sid Meier's name on the box? Before he was known for xcom he was known for the original version of this game.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: vyshka on July 06, 2015, 08:26:53 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 06, 2015, 06:56:24 PM
I don't see why they are pimping the fact that this is from the same guy who did the original xcom...being that this game is nothing like the original xcom.

Same reason they always put Sid Meier's name on the box? Before he was known for xcom he was known for the original version of this game.

I'd think they would want to stress that more, no? I had no idea this was even a remake.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 07:13:33 PM
Bleh, that's precisely why I didn't like Space Hulk.  I guess I'll scratch it off the list then.  Cheers Nef.

It's probably much worse.  Just a straight up percentage chance of actually working, depending on card level.  No environment variables and very few from abilities IIRC.

I think it would have great potential if they did something to improve that mechanic.

FlickJax

Quote from: Nefaro on July 06, 2015, 07:04:14 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 06, 2015, 05:18:07 PM
I see this is on offer on Steam this week.  Has anybody here played it lately?  Any good?

I tried a couple games against the AI. 

It would probably be a good game if your spell plays didn't wholly rely on a simple percentage chance of them actually succeeding. 

While I usually enjoy such Risk vs Reward situations in games, this one seems to be exceptionally prone to being screwed by RNGesus.  I specifically recall one game where I failed to cast three spells in a row (at around 70% success chance each), thus losing those three turns.  All while the opponent was succeeding each turn in summoning monsters to come pummel me continuously.

There's no recourse for getting screwed like that, either, so matches can start off terribly for one person and they'll be behind the whole time.  That was the impression I got.   It's like a competitive board game, but one that has a simplistically bad mechanic at it's heart.


If you played the original game that was part of  mechanic, you could always cast an illusion which works 100% of the time but you then have the chance that the enemy wizard would dispel it, did you try dispel on any of his casts?

FarAway Sooner


Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on July 07, 2015, 01:37:37 AM



If you played the original game that was part of  mechanic, you could always cast an illusion which works 100% of the time but you then have the chance that the enemy wizard would dispel it, did you try dispel on any of his casts?

Yes.  Twice.   Nothing doing both times. 

I just started resorting to that in the hopes that the AI had cast some illusions, because it had been succeeding at it's cast rolls every turn.  Alas, that was not the case and I wasted more time trying to disbelieve some of them.


Quote from: FarAway Sooner on July 07, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Seems like it might have a richer PvP angle than for solo play?

Definitely.  But for the same reason the huge dependence on the RNG rolls will still be a problem.

Like I said.. I enjoy games involving some chance dice rolling.  But this one didn't give me the warm fuzzies about it at all.  Most of the good ones also have ways of influencing your chances, via different extra mechanics, but this one was lacking in such.  Those kinds of extra mechanics are essential in these types, and this one lacks in that department and just uses a lame "shell game" one in it's stead.