So, came across a post (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3581476) on Matrixgames, that led me to this poll on Ageod: Choose a game title for the next WW1 game (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34881-A-request-to-the-Ageod-Community-%28new-game-topic-revealed-inside!%29&p=308935#post308935).
Quote
We are currently working a new game based on the AGE engine, that is focused on the ... Great War!. We already got the needed historical data, most of the leader portraits, required rule adjustments and the map, but we lack one of the most important elements of every game: a game title.
Pocus
WW1 is certainly getting some attention lately!
Quote from: steve58 on March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM
So, came across a post (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3581476) on Matrixgames, that led me to this poll on Ageod: Choose a game title for the next WW1 game (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34881-A-request-to-the-Ageod-Community-%28new-game-topic-revealed-inside!%29&p=308935#post308935).
Quote
We are currently working a new game based on the AGE engine, that is focused on the ... Great War!. We already got the needed historical data, most of the leader portraits, required rule adjustments and the map, but we lack one of the most important elements of every game: a game title.
Pocus
WW1 is certainly getting some attention lately!
Finally....
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 29, 2014, 04:07:06 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM
So, came across a post (http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3581476) on Matrixgames, that led me to this poll on Ageod: Choose a game title for the next WW1 game (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?34881-A-request-to-the-Ageod-Community-%28new-game-topic-revealed-inside!%29&p=308935#post308935).
Quote
We are currently working a new game based on the AGE engine, that is focused on the ... Great War!. We already got the needed historical data, most of the leader portraits, required rule adjustments and the map, but we lack one of the most important elements of every game: a game title.
Pocus
WW1 is certainly getting some attention lately!
Finally....
...must have something to do with that 100 year anniversary :P
An under-gamed war if there ever was one (and there are many that could use some love) so thumbs up. I tried repeatedly to learn WW1 by AGEOD but the big cartoony faces on the counters annoyed me. Pushing through that I had to fight a the UI. Looking forward to a familiar engine
They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine. Maybe that's the plan.
Remember the old man saying: "CHARGE"?
Awesome...looking forward to see what they come up with.
The original WWI was not developed by Ageod they just sold it.
I believe the new game is somewhat based on a mod of AJE and WWI.
You need to have both of the games and do a little moving yourself but as mods go it is extremely easy with using Wrye Bash on Oblivion as a 9 on a hard scale.
It is only 10 turns long but it will give you a feel for WWI with the AGE engine.
Quote from: jomni on March 29, 2014, 05:31:28 PM
They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine. Maybe that's the plan.
I have to say that I disagree as I like World War One. Granted that it takes a while to learn the game with its different gaming method, but once you do get a good grasp of the rules, it's quite a fine game to play.
But I do look forward to a WW1 game based on the Ageod engine.
Not sure how suited for 20th century combat the AGE engine is. Seems to me that it's best at 16th-19th century and Rome. But, we will see
Quote from: jomni on March 29, 2014, 05:31:28 PM
They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine. Maybe that's the plan.
Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing.
I also enjoyed WWI Gold but learning some of the interface intricacies was certainly difficult. Especially when the text in the tooltips weren't the game related info that was much needed, but large blocks of flavor text (Card effects needing to be looked up in the manual instead, for example).
QuoteRemember the old man saying: "CHARGE"?
I created a Sound Mod for
WWI Gold, posted in their forum mod section for the game. It replaced the bad "Charge!" voice, which sounded like some old guy trapped in a barrel, to some battle sounds. Along with a couple other annoying sounds. There were a few sound effects that would last for wayyy too long when you clicked on certain terrain locations, and I edited those down quite a bit. Also got sick of the loud banging music on the loading screen which took a long time to load, so I nixed it in a second version.
Dunno if the links to that sound mod are still good or not. WWI Gold is really a good game if you can get over the initial learning curve and wrestle with having to consult the manual for your card effects and perhaps other things while playing. It really does feel like a big "monster" tabletop wargame once you become familiar. It's also kinda sluggish running, but that's often the case with all AGEOD games with big maps. There is another mod that converts the map from many large-sized bitmap files to a smaller format (helps load times a bit perhaps).
______
As for the new one, I'm always looking forward to the next AGEOD game even if I don't get enough time to fully play them all. However, I would imagine they'll have to make some sizable changes in the system to accommodate the kind of static warfare experienced in WWI. I think their
Revolution Under Siege game was already pushing the limits of the time-vs-map scale in the era, and that didn't have such widespread trench warfare. The AGE system really works great for pre-20th century warfare, when there isn't a big long front line and long range weapons but just a handful of armies moving fluidly about and line combat. My favorite is the Roman period ones they have (AJE/BOR) because it seems to fit the system so well. Instead of going forward into the 20th century, I'd rather see it go backward in time from their typical 19th & 18th century stuff, as that's where it shines IMO.
Quote from: WallysWorld on March 29, 2014, 08:07:30 PM
Quote from: jomni on March 29, 2014, 05:31:28 PM
They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine. Maybe that's the plan.
I have to say that I disagree as I like World War One. Granted that it takes a while to learn the game with its different gaming method, but once you do get a good grasp of the rules, it's quite a fine game to play.
But I do look forward to a WW1 game based on the Ageod engine.
+1 fully agree, WWI is a better game than it has been given credit for. I love the advanced army coordination scheme. I also like the fact that you have so much control over combat. One of my issues with most Ageod games is the while combat resolution is very detailed, the player has no ability to affect it, once it has started. Of course it has a very complex turn structure, and also breaks many UI / game flow conventions, so I can see why folks don't like it. Then there was the botched release...but that is another story.
Fortunately, someone went to the trouble last year of writing a chitty humorous series of absolute newbie tutorial/instructions for WW1G, right here on Grogheads (http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=6547.0)... ;D
But I'm still interested in a 'proper' AGE engine version.
Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 30, 2014, 06:54:37 AM
I also like the fact that you have so much control over combat. One of my issues with most Ageod games is the while combat resolution is very detailed, the player has no ability to affect it, once it has started.
Could not agree more. WW1Gold is the only AGEOD title I've ever really enjoyed exactly because of this.
My main complaint with Ageod games is its battle resolution mechanic -- at least as it was in Napoleon's Campaigns. Have newer titles like AJE and Civil War 2 improved things? In NC, a battle would take place and all you would get was this incredibly hard to decipher summary report, with all sorts of symbols representing modifiers that seemed to come in to play and affect the outcome -- somehow. It would have been so much better if there was some kind of dynamic battle resolution, where you could see stages of the battle unfolding sequentially even if you had no direct control over any of it. Instead, the battle --> BAM incomprehensible combat summary always left me shrugging my shoulders as to what the heck just happened.
I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from
Quote from: mikeck on March 31, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from
Yeah, that's something new in Civil War 2. I'm glad they're expanding the battle interaction, although it's not a big fancy system yet.
If they ever added a hex-based battle system like that used in the
Great Battles Collection, I'd be in wargamer Valhalla. :D
Quote from: Nefaro on March 31, 2014, 02:13:37 PM
Quote from: mikeck on March 31, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from
Yeah, that's something new in Civil War 2. I'm glad they're expanding the battle interaction, although it's not a big fancy system yet.
If they ever added a hex-based battle system like that used in the Great Battles Collection, I'd be in wargamer Valhalla. :D
I had similar thoughts when I got Forge of Freedom, which has the strategic game and then the option to play out battles on a hex grid. But for me it didn't click. I wanted to move the strategic game along, which alone takes many, many hours of game play time, so I always resolved battles with one of the two quick resolution methods.
I loved FoF's tactical battles.. yeah it took a lil while to 'click'. but once it did, it was great fun.. Don't know why I never got into Crown of Glory.
Quote from: Tuna on March 31, 2014, 05:44:07 PM
I loved FoF's tactical battles.. yeah it took a lil while to 'click'. but once it did, it was great fun.. Don't know why I never got into Crown of Glory.
If only those two games had higher resolution and not just 1280x1024, I would play both a lot more.
Quote from: Rayfer on March 31, 2014, 03:41:45 PM
I had similar thoughts when I got Forge of Freedom, which has the strategic game and then the option to play out battles on a hex grid. But for me it didn't click. I wanted to move the strategic game along, which alone takes many, many hours of game play time, so I always resolved battles with one of the two quick resolution methods.
I thought the tactical wargame side of things a bit thin on mechanics in those. Didn't feel like there was much difference between how one unit behaved from another. But then I'm comparing it to a system with classical warfare, which featured many different specialized unit types. That's not so much the case in the 18th & 19th century battles. So I'd much rather have this in something like AJE/BOR where there is a good amount of variety and specific uses & behaviors for the unit types.
Not sure about CoG:EE (I have it but like Wally and Tuna I've never been able to get into it despite loving FoF), but in my experience the units in FoF do fight differently from one another. They just have to be kitted with distinct upgrades, and that takes some time to accomplish.
Quote from: JasonPratt on April 01, 2014, 07:25:27 AM
Not sure about CoG:EE (I have it but like Wally and Tuna I've never been able to get into it despite loving FoF), but in my experience the units in FoF do fight differently from one another. They just have to be kitted with distinct upgrades, and that takes some time to accomplish.
IIRC...you can do that in the advanced game settings....I've only ever played at intermediate (I think that's what it's called?) level where you don't research weapons upgrades, etc.
Rayfer, that seems right IIRC.
This is certainly great news. I've been waiting with bated breath for the AGE engine to make its way to WWI.
I'm slightly concerned at the scope, though. If you recall, the AGE engine didn't seem to work very well on a global level(pr0n, anyone?). It seems to me to work best on a country or region level.
I'm also interested in how they're going to handle the war at sea with the AGE engine.
Pr0n also notably approached the time period involved.
But it's certainly worth trying again. :)