New WW1 game coming from Ageod?

Started by steve58, March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

So, came across a post on Matrixgames, that led me to this poll on Ageod: Choose a game title for the next WW1 game.

We are currently working a new game based on the AGE engine, that is focused on the ... Great War!. We already got the needed historical data, most of the leader portraits, required rule adjustments and the map, but we lack one of the most important elements of every game: a game title.

Pocus

WW1 is certainly getting some attention lately!
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: steve58 on March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM
So, came across a post on Matrixgames, that led me to this poll on Ageod: Choose a game title for the next WW1 game.

We are currently working a new game based on the AGE engine, that is focused on the ... Great War!. We already got the needed historical data, most of the leader portraits, required rule adjustments and the map, but we lack one of the most important elements of every game: a game title.

Pocus

Finally....
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

steve58

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 29, 2014, 04:07:06 PM
Quote from: steve58 on March 29, 2014, 03:54:12 PM

Pocus

Finally....

...must have something to do with that 100 year anniversary :P
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

mikeck

An under-gamed war if there ever was one (and there are many that could use some love) so thumbs up. I tried repeatedly to learn WW1 by AGEOD but the big cartoony faces on the counters annoyed me. Pushing through that I had to fight a the UI. Looking forward to a familiar engine
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine.  Maybe that's the plan.
Remember the old man saying: "CHARGE"?

Gusington

Awesome...looking forward to see what they come up with.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

magnus

The original WWI was not developed by Ageod they just sold it.

I believe the new game is somewhat based on a mod of AJE and WWI.

You need to have both of the games and do a little moving yourself but as mods go it is extremely easy with using Wrye Bash on Oblivion as a 9 on a hard scale.

It is only 10 turns long but it will give you a feel for WWI with the AGE engine.

WallysWorld

Quote from: jomni on March 29, 2014, 05:31:28 PM
They should just dump the original WW1 (based on a board game) and do their own stuff based on the engine.  Maybe that's the plan.

I have to say that I disagree as I like World War One. Granted that it takes a while to learn the game with its different gaming method, but once you do get a good grasp of the rules, it's quite a fine game to play.

But I do look forward to a WW1 game based on the Ageod engine.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

mikeck

Not sure how suited for 20th century combat the AGE engine is. Seems to me that it's best at 16th-19th century and Rome. But, we will see
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Sounds like that's exactly what they're doing.   

I also enjoyed WWI Gold but learning some of the interface intricacies was certainly difficult.  Especially when the text in the tooltips weren't the game related info that was much needed, but large blocks of flavor text (Card effects needing to be looked up in the manual instead, for example).

QuoteRemember the old man saying: "CHARGE"?

I created a Sound Mod for WWI Gold, posted in their forum mod section for the game.  It replaced the bad "Charge!" voice, which sounded like some old guy trapped in a barrel, to some battle sounds.  Along with a couple other annoying sounds.  There were a few sound effects that would last for wayyy too long when you clicked on certain terrain locations, and I edited those down quite a bit.  Also got sick of the loud banging music on the loading screen which took a long time to load, so I nixed it in a second version.

Dunno if the links to that sound mod are still good or not.  WWI Gold is really a good game if you can get over the initial learning curve and wrestle with having to consult the manual for your card effects and perhaps other things while playing.  It really does feel like a big "monster" tabletop wargame once you become familiar.  It's also kinda sluggish running, but that's often the case with all AGEOD games with big maps.  There is another mod that converts the map from many large-sized bitmap files to a smaller format (helps load times a bit perhaps).

______

As for the new one, I'm always looking forward to the next AGEOD game even if I don't get enough time to fully play them all.  However, I would imagine they'll have to make some sizable changes in the system to accommodate the kind of static warfare experienced in WWI.  I think their Revolution Under Siege game was already pushing the limits of the time-vs-map scale in the era, and that didn't have such widespread trench warfare.  The AGE system really works great for pre-20th century warfare, when there isn't a big long front line and long range weapons but just a handful of armies moving fluidly about and line combat.  My favorite is the Roman period ones they have (AJE/BOR) because it seems to fit the system so well.  Instead of going forward into the 20th century, I'd rather see it go backward in time from their typical 19th & 18th century stuff, as that's where it shines IMO.

ArizonaTank

Quote from: WallysWorld on March 29, 2014, 08:07:30 PM

I have to say that I disagree as I like World War One. Granted that it takes a while to learn the game with its different gaming method, but once you do get a good grasp of the rules, it's quite a fine game to play.

But I do look forward to a WW1 game based on the Ageod engine.

+1 fully agree, WWI is a better game than it has been given credit for.  I love the advanced army coordination scheme.  I also like the fact that you have so much control over combat.  One of my issues with most Ageod games is the while combat resolution is very detailed, the player has no ability to affect it, once it has started.  Of course it has a very complex turn structure, and also breaks many UI / game flow conventions, so I can see why folks don't like it.  Then there was the botched release...but that is another story.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Fortunately, someone went to the trouble last year of writing a chitty humorous series of absolute newbie tutorial/instructions for WW1G, right here on Grogheads...  ;D

But I'm still interested in a 'proper' AGE engine version.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

sandman2575

Quote from: ArizonaTank on March 30, 2014, 06:54:37 AM
I also like the fact that you have so much control over combat.  One of my issues with most Ageod games is the while combat resolution is very detailed, the player has no ability to affect it, once it has started.

Could not agree more.  WW1Gold is the only AGEOD title I've ever really enjoyed exactly because of this.

My main complaint with Ageod games is its battle resolution mechanic -- at least as it was in Napoleon's Campaigns.  Have newer titles like AJE and Civil War 2 improved things?  In NC, a battle would take place and all you would get was this incredibly hard to decipher summary report, with all sorts of symbols representing modifiers that seemed to come in to play and affect the outcome -- somehow.  It would have been so much better if there was some kind of dynamic battle resolution, where you could see stages of the battle unfolding sequentially even if you had no direct control over any of it.  Instead, the battle --> BAM incomprehensible combat summary always left me shrugging my shoulders as to what the heck just happened. 

mikeck

I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on March 31, 2014, 01:35:37 PM
I will tell you in ACW2, for larger battles, you are given a choice of formations and tactics to choose from

Yeah, that's something new in Civil War 2.  I'm glad they're expanding the battle interaction, although it's not a big fancy system yet.

If they ever added a hex-based battle system like that used in the Great Battles Collection, I'd be in wargamer Valhalla.  :D