GrogHeads Forum

Digital Gaming => Computer Gaming => Topic started by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 08:12:18 AM

Title: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 08:12:18 AM
http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/battle-command-flushing-insurgents-out.html#more

Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2014, 08:35:46 AM
Not just platoons, either -- I saw whole company action (Shermans vs Panzers) on the game website this morning.

http://www.historicalsoftware.com/


I will add that I am rather squeeish not only over the game, but the blog you found it at, too. :)
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: JC______ on March 31, 2014, 08:38:11 AM
Hi. Thanks for the referral.

Jason is right. Bigger scenarios are available. I played a platoon sized one because I had to start small. :)

Cheers,
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: sandman2575 on March 31, 2014, 08:55:03 AM
W
O
W
!!!


I was not aware of Battle Command.  Looks absolutely amazing.  Thanks for posting.

Also, Chelco's Real & Simulated Wars blog is a must-bookmark, imo.  Great stuff he does.
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: sandman2575 on March 31, 2014, 09:13:42 AM
Am I misreading the HSC homepage, or does $50 get you the whole simulation engine plus the WW2 and modern-day scenarios?  (That seems too good to be true, but I'm having trouble understanding the purchase options)
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: Redwolf on March 31, 2014, 09:22:40 AM
Does anybody know whether this thing works in Wine?
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 10:22:21 AM
Quote from: sandman2575 on March 31, 2014, 09:13:42 AM
Am I misreading the HSC homepage, or does $50 get you the whole simulation engine plus the WW2 and modern-day scenarios?  (That seems too good to be true, but I'm having trouble understanding the purchase options)

The price for the Battle Command Download Package is US$49.00.  Two payment options are available.

Payment by credit card (VISA/MASTERCARD/DISCOVER/AMEX) or Electronic Check.

    Click the button below to access our secure payment form (Authorize.net).  With an electronic check, you will be prompted for authorization to debit your checking account for the order amount (only available to U.S. bank locations).  We ship within 24 hours for credit card/electronic check orders.

You Will Receive:

    1. Battle Command Game Simulation and Station Programs, with the ability to add an unlimited number of players.

    2. User's Guide and Tutorial Video Files.

    3. Six WWII Normandy Scenarios + 10 Modern NTC Scenarios + 7 WWII Battle of the Bulge Scenarios + 5 Bulge Mini-games + Several Modern Afghanistan and Iraq Scenarios (see Scenarios and Products page for more information).

    4. Complete set of scenario design tools and utilities.

    5. You will also be registered for and receive access to the Battle Command Discussion Board Forum.

Please Note:

    1. Station computers should have a 3D acceleration card (such as an nVidia or ATI 3D gaming card).

    2. Clients are free to run allowing unlimited players.

    3. You can download all files from the downloads section of this website.  The NTC map (also available on DVD) is 3.2GB.



looks that way to me
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: sandman2575 on March 31, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
Just seems like a surprisingly cheap price for such a specialized product from a small independent developer.  And you get the whole shebang too -- no charge for the separate scenarios.

Not complaining, of course, just surprised.
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 31, 2014, 11:30:56 AM
How comprehensive is the OOB?
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: Staggerwing on March 31, 2014, 11:34:46 AM
IIRC, this game has been in development for a while, originally under an acronym- TALACOSA or something similar?
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: magnus on March 31, 2014, 11:35:58 AM
 This is the same one that was free not too long ago, correct?

I also do not see anything about and AI, is it MP only?
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2014, 12:09:08 PM
Magnus,

no, it also has single-player vs AI. For example, although Chelco's demonstration mission was designed for multiplayer, he took it vs the AI.

(Incidentally, Chelco's blog-tracking sidebar has a wealth of goodies, too...)
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: JasonPratt on March 31, 2014, 12:19:49 PM
Quote from: sandman2575 on March 31, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
Just seems like a surprisingly cheap price for such a specialized product from a small independent developer.  And you get the whole shebang too -- no charge for the separate scenarios.

Not complaining, of course, just surprised.

Ditto. I kind of want to smack the anonymous poster on Chelco's article who said it was too expensive for him at the moment. Clearly we have all been spoiled by Steam and Gamersgate... That price point would be de facto at Matrix, and far from the most expensive game there. I'm pretty sure I paid almost twice as much for HPS's Point of Attack 2 (a comparable game) back in the day, from NWS where they often have distributor price breaks.

(Currently they're selling it for $37 via Ebay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPS-SIMULATIONS-POINT-ATTACK-2-NEW-FREE-SHIPPING-/161233002822?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item258a3c6146), by the way. Not a big fan of NWS' new port to Ebay, but I understand the need and benefits of it.)
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: TacticalWargames on March 31, 2014, 12:23:39 PM
I paid for it when it first came out when it was called TALICOSI (Wargamer did a article on it a few years ago..google it)..then went free..and now pay ware again.

He is supposed to be making an AI for solo play..though I think it's a long way off.

I played the solo scenario the other day (You play against a static defense). Was  OK.

Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: TacticalWargames on March 31, 2014, 12:26:00 PM
Quote from: TacticalWargames on March 31, 2014, 12:23:39 PM
I paid for it when it first came out when it was called TALICOSI (Wargamer did a article on it a few years ago..google it)..then went free..and now pay ware again.

He is supposed to be making an AI for solo play..though I think it's a long way off.

I played the solo scenario the other day (You play against a static defense). Was  OK.

Unless your going to play mutli player and willing to go through a real tough UI then I'd stay away.
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: RyanE on March 31, 2014, 12:35:34 PM
So is this conflicting info?  Does it have an AI or not?  Can you play solo?
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 01:09:32 PM
if you follow the original link you can read about Chelco playing the AI and getting a fairly sound challenge
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: RyanE on March 31, 2014, 01:41:57 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 01:09:32 PM
if you follow the original link you can read about Chelco playing the AI and getting a fairly sound challenge

Yeah, but he stated it was a multiplayer game.  One person said only one scenario is SP and it si limited to defense only.  Another said there is an AI.  It doesn't sound very convincing.
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: undercovergeek on March 31, 2014, 01:48:09 PM
i can see that enough people seemed to have played against the AI - i think youre good
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: Toonces on March 31, 2014, 03:16:43 PM
I remember this game now.  This looks really good...I may have to give this a go.  It looks like something I would really enjoy.
Title: Re: CMANO on the floor - Battle Command - looks like a serious platoon simulator
Post by: Jarhead0331 on March 31, 2014, 03:33:42 PM
I did not see any Formula 1's in the OOB...you sure you'll like this?