Main Menu

WWI Strategic Games

Started by panzerde, February 21, 2013, 11:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

I've just finished an excellent book," Home Before The Leaves Fall", a new history of the 1914 French campaign centering around the German right wing armies. The could've, would've and should've's of who did what and why. Lots of good stuff in there. I can't recommend it enough if your at all interested in that time period.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

^Thanks for the recommendation Sir Slash.  Sounds similar to Barbara Tuchman's Guns of August.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Bismarck

Unlike Tuchman, Ian Senior only does the Western Front and gets tactical.  HBtLF would be a good source to make a Tiller WW I scenario.
Jim Cobb

Sir Slash

Agreed. I thought WWI was a boring war but this book has given me a different opinion. I really felt bad for the poor grunts on both sides that were sent straight into battle after an all day forced march, and then the generals often gave-away their gains by ordering a retreat after nightfall. A great study in differing command styles too, Joffre vs Molkte.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Boggit

I can recommend Hew Strachan's "The First World War" for a good strategic level understanding. Quite readable too, it was the basis for the TV Documentary Series http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jabberjawjapan/The_First_World_War_(TV_series)

Here is a link to the first in the series on youtube - you can get the other links there. If you like it I recommend you get the DVD for your collection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfehNhgytHg
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

panzerde

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 01, 2013, 10:19:18 AM
I've just finished an excellent book," Home Before The Leaves Fall", a new history of the 1914 French campaign centering around the German right wing armies. The could've, would've and should've's of who did what and why. Lots of good stuff in there. I can't recommend it enough if your at all interested in that time period.

Thanks much for the recommendation.  Added to my wish list, I'll pick it up after I finish Castles of Steel.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Bill Runacre

Quote from: Sir Slash on March 01, 2013, 10:19:18 AM
I've just finished an excellent book," Home Before The Leaves Fall", a new history of the 1914 French campaign centering around the German right wing armies. The could've, would've and should've's of who did what and why. Lots of good stuff in there. I can't recommend it enough if your at all interested in that time period.

You've raised my interest in this too, as it sounds better than just another account of the 1914 campaign.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

Gusington

WWI boring? I can't even look at you.

And now I have to send you the receipt for Home Before the Leaves Fall too.

Damn your eyes Slash. Damn them!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

You won't be damning either of my eyes when you get the book. Or if you'd rather drive down here to Fla. you can have my copy. You don't have to look at me if you don't want to.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bismarck

I mark up the "boring" tag to the Anglo-American fixation on the Western Front trenches. Movies, plays etc find that narrow topic easy because of low-budget sets.  People wring their hands over the Somme but few mention the division that used novel tactics and made their objective with acceptable casualties.
Jim Cobb

Gusington

HA cheap sets...I never thought of it that way.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

It was all the silly-looking helmets I couldn't get past--and the trenches. I'd read about the French '14 campaign and the Battle of the Marne before but never really the how's and why's of how it all came about. This early period of manuver warfare is now a must read for me.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Boggit,

That doc is one of my favorites. Shared it with my parents, too; Mom was especially impressed with it. I knew a little more about WW1 than Mom or Dad, but we all learned a ton from that documentary.

It has its shortfalls--almost nothing about tanks, airpower or subs--but its concentration is on the strategic and political aspects. I have another doc called World War I that I haven't watched yet, which (from the episode description) goes into a lot more detail about the nuts and bolts of the war. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't have rich color film footage from French army correspondents! (That and the color photos kind of blew our minds, too. My eventual collection of several dozen silent films can be traced at least in part to my appreciation for this doc.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Quote from: Bismarck on March 02, 2013, 05:47:25 PM
I mark up the "boring" tag to the Anglo-American fixation on the Western Front trenches. Movies, plays etc find that narrow topic easy because of low-budget sets.  People wring their hands over the Somme but few mention the division that used novel tactics and made their objective with acceptable casualties.
For me, at least, I confess this was indeed the case. 

It wasn't til I started hanging around you yahoos that I began to have a greater and deeper understanding/appreciation of what went on outside of battles like Verdun and the Somme.  (In fact, it's only because of you guys that I started to get interested in WW1 games like CTGW.) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces