Ps4 official info is out. So what do you think?

Started by jomni, February 21, 2013, 04:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PM
So, Ubisoft has already said that the Watch Dogs demo they ran was actually running on a PC. That makes me wonder how many other demos really were running on the Beta PS4 hardware?

I have to admit, I was impressed yet suspicious that anyone was running actual gameplay. On the other hand, there had better be someone somewhere running gameplay code if a decent library of launch titles will be available later this year!

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMThe guy demo-ing the car game (it's called Driveclub. Yes, really. I will never again complain about generic wargame titles) was creepy. This is a man who I truly believe has had sex with a car.

I feel like there's a joke here somewhere about a banana in a tailpipe.

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMAlso, we already heard the emotion speech with the PS3...and the PS2, for that matter.

I forget, wasn't the PS2 engine actually called E-motion?!

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMOne dev after another talking about next generation experiences that they can finally produce...and then showing something that's currently do-able. Was the new Killzone pretty? Yep. It also looked like most other really nice PS3 titles.

Am I misremembering, or wasn't there some scandal about the pre-launch footage of Killzone for the PS3?

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMWow, the online functionality will target what I see based on my gaming preferences. Did they actually use targeted advertising as a perk? Yes they did. Note to Sony : NOBODY enjoys advertising.

Also, isn't that being done already?

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMAlso a feature : Sleep mode! the system turns on much faster when you ht the power button. Seriously? Your entire corporation is financially falling apart, and this is what you're using to sell this thing?

It doesn't help that the PS3 already turns on quite quickly.

On the other hand, if they told me that the Godforsaken new installed program with which they access PSN was going to go back to the prior engine, thus gaining functionality and speed -- or at least that the PSN engine would boot up more quickly on a PS4 -- I might take that as a perk.

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMBeyond that, do people really want to devote time to watching someone else play something?

That might have been the silliest thing of all. It sounds like a perk invented by someone in marketing. "You know what? Let's include a way to freely advertise games better. People like to see gameplay before they buy, like in a store, right? Let's include that functionality!" "GENIUS!!!"

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMLet's pack some PS Move functionality in there AND throw in our own version of a Kinect bar AND whatever the Hell 'dynamic rumble' is.

"Dynamic rumble" means "PS2 rumble not PS3".

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMHey, we can squeeze a tiny touch pad on the face of the damn thing, so let's do that as well! Any other gimmicks we can cram in?

A fold-out stand so people won't have to heft the thing themselves?


Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMFigure out what your message is and STICK TO IT. First it was all about the gamer, then it's all about the experience, now it's all about emotion, back to being about the gamer, now it's about hardware...WHAT THE HELL IS YOUR POINT?

...Gamers, your hardware will experience emotion when you think about the PS4!!

(To be fair, that seemed more like an individual developer issue. Each developer looks for buzzword concepts when they don't have actual gameplay to talk about.)

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 22, 2013, 05:03:07 PMIt seemed like they didn't know how to sell this thing. And if you don't know how to sell something, you're just creating market confusion (Nintendo and the WiiU is a great example of this).

WiiU: finally like the 360 and PS3!! (wait, crap, we can't say that...)

WiiU: finally like a DS but much less portable!!  :D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

QuoteSo, Ubisoft has already said that the Watch Dogs demo they ran was actually running on a PC. That makes me wonder how many other demos really were running on the Beta PS4 hardware?

Running on a PC with the same specs as the PS4 that is, so nothing wrong with this. Expect more when such a game is actually running on the PS4 because with the same specs a console is more powerful than a PC (build just for games, no slowing OS in the background etc.).
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JasonPratt

Okay, I take it all back, if Leonard Nimoy can be convinced by a glowing rock, I can, too!

http://www.themarysue.com/leonard-nimoy-playstation-4/?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Jim Sterling as expected weighs in; and as I should have expected, his main complaints aren't about the PS4 so much as about the continuing malpractices of the (mainstream) gaming industry, continuing into the new generation without the slightest hitch.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/6905-New-Generation-Old-Bullsh-t

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Grimnirsson

Yeah, he may have a point...or two...or three... ;)

As an Xboxer I can still have high hopes for the next gen future...or so I hope :P
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

W8taminute

I'm adopting a wait and see policy wrt the PS4.  I haven't touched my PS3 in many months and I'm not really happy with Sony or Koei right now.  I have no motivation for their new products.  The Japanese have lost their touch imho when it comes to gaming.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk