Main Menu

Battle for Wesnoth

Started by TheCommandTent, February 03, 2012, 10:10:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

TheCommandTent

Has anyone else heard of or played Battle for Wesnoth

QuoteThe Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based tactical strategy game with a high fantasy theme.
Build up a great army, gradually turning raw recruits into hardened veterans. In later games, recall your toughest warriors and form a deadly host whom none can stand against! Choose units from a large pool of specialists, and hand-pick a force with the right strengths to fight well on different terrains against all manner of opposition

Best of all it is a free open source game.  I downloaded it last night played for about an hour.  Its a fun little game with some interesting concepts.  I enjoy the campaigning and being able to recall seasoned troops the next battle.  Worth checking out if you enjoy the genre.  The worst that could happen is you waste an hour or two  :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bayonetbrant

I've lost many, many hours to Wesnoth.

The basic campaign is very, very good, but the Rise of Wesnoth campaign is also freakin' incredible.
I like it because it's a great blend of fantasy adventure and wargaming, and there are a LOT of great mods for it, too.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

There is also a iOS app version if you want to play on mobile devices. It is not free, however.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 04, 2012, 12:25:28 AM
There is also a iOS app version if you want to play on mobile devices. It is not free, however.

Haha bitches!  There's a free one for Android phones!

(OK, to be fair, there's a better paid one for 'droids, too.  I just wanted to poke fun at Monty :P )
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

son_of_montfort

IIRC there is a free version for iPhone too, but it is like a "demo" version.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

TheCommandTent

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 03, 2012, 10:18:34 PM
I've lost many, many hours to Wesnoth.

The basic campaign is very, very good, but the Rise of Wesnoth campaign is also freakin' incredible.
I like it because it's a great blend of fantasy adventure and wargaming, and there are a LOT of great mods for it, too.

I am playing through the basic campaign right now but will definitely try the Rise of Wesnoth next.

I am enjoying the challenge so far.  I like being able to carry over troops it helps me not needless throw their lives away.  Although it really hurts when one of them is killed
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JasonPratt

I have had this for the Mac (and installed) since last year, but have been too busy at work to get around to playing it.

(I... I guess that's a good thing... <<....<< )

At home I have far too many other games competing for my time, including Elven Legacy currently.

Still, I do love the game, so in conclusion:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

TheCommandTent

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 06, 2012, 02:39:22 PM
I have had this for the Mac (and installed) since last year, but have been too busy at work to get around to playing it.

(I... I guess that's a good thing... <<....<< )

At home I have far too many other games competing for my time, including Elven Legacy currently.

Still, I do love the game, so in conclusion:

Make sure you are prepared to lose some hours when you start to play.

I was told about Elven Legacy after talking about liking Wesnoth.  I dld the demo and gave it a spin but wasn't really that impressed with it.  Im not sure what I was expecting.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JasonPratt

If you weren't expecting Fantasy General (i.e. the Panzer General engine uptweaked and with a high fantasy storyline--except not the original "Fantasy General" storyline because the deal to get the rights to the name and storyline fell through while the game was in development), but with nice 3D graphics... then... um........ that's what you didn't get?

I kind of lost the logic of my sentence after composition there. 

It's Panzer General but with knights and orcs and dragons in a colorful 3D engine and stereo sound.  (And with really really bad dubbing, for Elven Legacy anyway. The dubbing for Fantasy Wars was quite decent in the first two campaigns, until they got to the elves. The music is unfortunately mediocre for both games so far--I turned it off early in FW, too.)

The elves are a rather unsympathetic faction, too, compared to the humans (or even the orcs). So I would have recommended the FW demo instead. But I've never played either demo per se, so neither one may do a good job promoting the game.

Anyway, I love the PG mechanics, and I'm fond of high fantasy, and aesthetically I like the graphics and sound effects, and while technically I would have preferred a real remake of Fantasy General (for the basic storyline) I do have to admit the FW/EL storyline so far is much more detailed and nuanced.

But back to Wesnoth. (Sorry.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

I was about to start a thread about this game.  It's been a long time since I last tried Battle for Wesnoth.  I don't know what it was like a year ago when this thread started, but it's come a very long way since I last played it.  It looks really good now (after some initial frustrations getting it to run in the correct resolution) and it's packed with features.  The interface is also a lot better, and most of the information you need turn-to-turn is displayed precisely when you need it - such as amount of cover the terrain provides when you mouse over it.

To all of you playing a year ago, has it improved a lot since then?

TheCommandTent

After starting this thread I played the crap out of the game but eventually burned out on it and haven't really played since then.  It would be interesting to pick it back up and see if I could tell a difference.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

RooksBailey

I think BoW remains a better fantasy game that Fallen Enchantress.   :)  I played the heck out of it about a year ago and really loved it.  The only reason I stopped was due to the graphics - they started to give me a lot of eye strain and headaches.   :(
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

FarAway Sooner

Wesnoth is a fun title.  The campaign games are really quite good, but the AI struggles badly to preserve units in more open-ended games.  Also fun to play with and against other human players.  Definitely a keeper of a title!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bayonetbrant

it's been free everywhere else for 15 years ::)


;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers