Eador: Masters of the Broken World

Started by Jarhead0331, April 20, 2013, 06:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Tpek

Yeah, but they didn't bother to distribute the patch to GOG.
Instead they want people to use their broken and non-working patcher to download it. :P


Rayfer

Is it like the first game where you can only save as you exit the game, thus preventing you from saving before a tough battle so that you can reload and fight it again?

Tpek

Quote from: Rayfer on April 22, 2013, 01:45:14 PM
Is it like the first game where you can only save as you exit the game, thus preventing you from saving before a tough battle so that you can reload and fight it again?

I remember this being in Genesis as well.

Rayfer

Quote from: Tpek on April 22, 2013, 02:23:12 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on April 22, 2013, 01:45:14 PM
Is it like the first game where you can only save as you exit the game, thus preventing you from saving before a tough battle so that you can reload and fight it again?

I remember this being in Genesis as well.

Yes, I was referring to Genesis (I thought that was the first game in this series?)...I was wondering if Masters of the Broken World works the same way or not? 

tgb


Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on April 22, 2013, 12:52:40 PM
Yeah, but they didn't bother to distribute the patch to GOG.
Instead they want people to use their broken and non-working patcher to download it. :P

Did they release that update?  I thought it was 'in the works'?

I plan on getting it trhough GOG, when I do.  What's this non-working patcher thing?

mikeck

Yes, patch is out. Apparently the auto installer for GoG doesn't work. I always use Steam to purchase games when I can so i can't say.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JasonPratt

I'll be getting it later, too many other games I'm working on right now. (Besides this gets the bughunts out of the way.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Yskonyn

+1 although with the rate my Dom 3 empire is failing now, I might have some time soon! ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

FarAway Sooner

I've been holding off on first impressions for more than a week in large part because the game has been such a moving target.  Snowbird has pushed out 4 patches in the first week, which says 2 things:


  • The game wasn't quite ready for release and they should have held off.  For whatever reasons (contractual obligations, trying to time their release between other competitor releases, etc.), they chose not to.  That said, it's not like 1/4 of the titles out there aren't released in the same state.
  • They're quickly whipping the game into shape.  The auto-updater now seems to work just fine, and they're stomping out most of the universal game-affecting bugs (there are still a few which are causing real problems.  But the team is committed to the game, and they've done more to remedy a buggy game release in the first seven days than lots of shops with 5x the budget will do in the first seven weeks.

My sense is that it's whipping into shape nicely and should be ready for a deep review in another couple weeks.  A number of the longtime Eador players were expecting MotBW to, at release, be Genesis with a boob job, and in that expectation they've been sorely disappointed.  But, with a few more patches under its belt, it'll be a much more beautiful version of Genesis with better tooltips, good documentation, streamlined campaign play, and a few added features.  Basically, I think it's shaping up to be everything I hoped it would be, but without real MP (which is a significant omission, but for $20, I'm not expecting the moon).

After seeing the pace of updates in the first week, I'm very optimistic that the game is shaping up nicely.  Folks who never played Genesis before seem to love it, by and large.  In the meantime, I'd honestly recommend holding off on it for another few weeks, just to give it a little more time to mature and to make sure that they continue to stamp out the bugs.

I'm planning to submit a review of MotBW, but not until the game state has settled down a little bit and I've had more chance to test the state of that "settled" game state.  Think I'll go play it for an hour right now while both my kids are sleeping, though!!   ;D
[/list]

mikeck

I think when Steam agrees to distribute a game, they basically force you to release on the date that was initially agreed to in the contract. They tell the developer "don't worry, with our system you can release as many patches as you want as soon as you want". Seems that alot of these indie releases on steam take a few weeks to get patched up. Same with StarDrive. I like it alot but it could have used a few more weeks
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Arctic Blast

Quote from: mikeck on April 27, 2013, 04:23:38 PM
I think when Steam agrees to distribute a game, they basically force you to release on the date that was initially agreed to in the contract. They tell the developer "don't worry, with our system you can release as many patches as you want as soon as you want". Seems that alot of these indie releases on steam take a few weeks to get patched up. Same with StarDrive. I like it alot but it could have used a few more weeks

Don't forget that indie devs aren't exactly sitting on piles of money. That 4 extra weeks of development is 4 extra weeks of expenditures with no revenue coming in. It also adds to the overall development bill, meaning you now need more sales just to break even. And any time a game is delayed, a lot of potential buyers start wondering about it and go from "I'll buy on Day 1" to "Oh, it must be a mess. I'd better wait."

son_of_montfort

Yes, Steam has a release schedule and they fit you into "blocks" around the big-time releases (a few of which are coming in the next weeks and months). So indie developers basically have to take what they are assigned depending on the blockbusters. This is a big downside to Greenlight, it allows for "releases" that are actually just continuations of the beta.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Martok

SpaceSector has posted their review.  It's notable for at least a couple reasons: 

1.)  The author waited until now to do the review because he so many issues with various bugs the first month after release. 

2.)  He has only been able to get about halfway through the campaign. 



I didn't realize that Masters of the Broken World isn't a true "sandbox" 4x game like MOM or the Elemental series.  That alone is kind of a turn-off for me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

tgb

What do you mean?  In addition to the campaign there are random maps.