New Indie game Expeditions Conquistador

Started by Sir Slash, May 30, 2013, 10:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Sir Slash

Anybody heard anything good or bad about this new indie RPG-conquest game just posted at GOG.com? I hope it's not a winner because I can't keep-up with new games I got now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.


Tpek

I missed its kickstarter back in its time.
I bought it but have yet to find time to test it out (sorry, Marvel Heroes is taking all my current precious little free time).

FarAway Sooner

This does look intriguing.  I wish I had the time to play half the games I want to that are coming out these days.

steve58

I was intrigued enough when I saw it this morning (on GoG and Gamersgate) that I went hunting for some gameplay videos.  I will likely pick this one up, but down the road a bit after I've gone through many/several/some of the games from my backlog...

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

TheCommandTent

This looks very interesting.  Hope someone else has played it so I don't have to buy it blind :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

tgb

I bit.

I guess you could call this a tactical, historic RPG/resource management game.  You start by creating your conquistador "hero", assigning points to diplomacy, tactical ability, command ability etc.  You then recruit a party of 10 made up of classes like soldiers, doctors, scholars, scouts etc.  Each is rated for ranged and melee combat and come with three traits such as greedy, racist, pious, and so forth.  Morale is important in combat, and is affected by how a character with a particular trait reacts to your in-game decisions.

Every day your party starts with so many movement points, and when they are gone you have to camp for the night.  While camping you assign party members jobs such as patrolling, foraging for food (you have to keep everyone fed) or crafting traps to be used in combat. Party members level up, and every so often get a Fallout-style perk.

Littered throughout the map and villages are "events", which are encounters with NPC's.  They are all text based, and can lead to combat, result in a quest, or affect members of your party in some fashion.

I played the tutorial and started the first real quest. Combat is tactical, with attacks of opportunity, flanking bonuses, and terrain effects, along with the ability to craft and set traps beforehand. Overland travel is challenging as well, as you never seem to find enough rations or meat. In short, it's unforgiving and quite tough on Normal, which many here will appreciate. Me, I'm thinking about restarting on "Easy".

It's nice to have a party-based, turn-based RPG without orcs, elves, and dwarves for a change. My only concern is that I don't think maps are randomized, which will limit replayability.

Be sure not to miss the in-game Codex. You get an entry every time you encounter something actually historical.

Sir Slash

Damn. I was afraid it was gonna be good. Doesn't anybody make crappy games anymore?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

I caved and bought it, but from greenmangaming which is a steam code...currently 10% off, then use this coupon for another 20% off, to get for roughly $14.  I know some would still prefer GOG because of no DRM, but thought I would mention.

link to page with 20% off code.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/hot-deals/


panzerde

Welp, looks like another $20 sacrificed on the altar of "shiny!!"
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on May 30, 2013, 01:37:12 PM
My only concern is that I don't think maps are randomized, which will limit replayability.


That's the only thing that makes me want to hold off on purchasing until I get some time to check it out. 

I'm not all that into heavily scripted & restrictive strategy games, but the rest of it looks okay.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

One other thing I really like is the conversations that take place between your character and party members when you camp.  Very reminiscent of Dragon Age. (Sorry, Gus)

Sir Slash

Sorry to upset you Gus. It's probably not as good as it looks, and sounds, and has been raved reviewed. And at $17 for 25 hours of thrilling gameplay, who do those 6 guys who made this think we are? And who knew Hispaniola had so many resources just laying around waiting to be picked-up? And beautiful, crazed cultists, native girls? I gotta talk to my travel agent. ;D
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Arctic Blast

Bought it. Downloading it. May play it a bit this weekend.  :D