Main Menu

Titanfall

Started by RooksBailey, June 10, 2013, 09:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

RooksBailey

I have to say that I think the Battlefield 4 MP reveal has been upstaged by this shooter:

Trailer:


Gameplay demo:


The only thing that concerns me is that this is going to be a strictly MP game.  The problem with that, especially for a new franchise, is that if the MP community doesn't develop, the game will be dead in six months.  Gutsy move to make this only MP without also being F2P.  Someone must be confident. 

"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Arctic Blast

I dunno. You know what you're getting with Battlefield. This...who knows? The only new part of the game is the mechs, and with a limit of 2-3 per side, they'll just become bullet sponges. It could be good, but I need to be convinced before buying.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 10, 2013, 10:05:57 PM
I dunno. You know what you're getting with Battlefield. This...who knows? The only new part of the game is the mechs, and with a limit of 2-3 per side, they'll just become bullet sponges. It could be good, but I need to be convinced before buying.

Agreed, although it does look really cool.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

RooksBailey

I am curious about the mechs.  If they are limited to just 2-3 on a side, then that would sort of kill the whole point of mech-based gameplay.  However, I suspect that mechs are going to work like killstreaks in CoD.  In other words, when you rack up X points, you'll be able to call down a mech.  If it works like that, this game could be awesome.  :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Rekim

Quote from: RooksBailey on June 11, 2013, 12:13:07 AM
I am curious about the mechs.  If they are limited to just 2-3 on a side, then that would sort of kill the whole point of mech-based gameplay.  However, I suspect that mechs are going to work like killstreaks in CoD.  In other words, when you rack up X points, you'll be able to call down a mech.  If it works like that, this game could be awesome.  :)

That is the way titans worked in UT3, and they turned out to be a fun addition.

Surprising there isn't a hint of UT4 after all these years (UT3 released in 2007).

Arctic Blast

I am hopeful that it turns out to be a good game. I just need to see some more selling points, because right now it looks like just another Capture Point shooter with mechs bolted on. It needs to have more than robots to bring in players.

RooksBailey

Quote from: Arctic Blast on June 11, 2013, 08:22:56 PMIt needs to have more than robots to bring in players.

Mechs!  Meks!  Mechas!  Not "robots"!   Sorry, pet peeve of mine.    :D  It is starting to drive me crazy how everyone is referring to the meks in Pacific Rim as "robots".  Even Del Torro has started doing it!  It offends my geek sensibilities.   ;D

Here is a behind the scenes vid on the making of TitanFall.  Still looking really good. 



It looks like Hawken's version of fast moving mechs are starting to gain in popularity.  That could cause an ugly geek war with the Mechwarrior crowd.   ;)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

RooksBailey

Demo from GamesCom:



Still looking really good! But, again, if this game gets swallowed up by the BF4/COD hype and fails to develop a MP community, it will be all for naught.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Gusington

I so wish it had a SP component.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Arctic Blast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.

Sure, if that's what you want. But if it's one or the other, that's fine. I'm tired of half baked MP modes or after thought SP campaigns because some developer tried to have everything when they didn't want to.

Gusington

Well I definitely won't be getting Titanfall because there's definitely no SP. If the developers at least attempted a SP component they could potentially unlock more sales.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RooksBailey

New trailer for Angel City released.  Still looking good:



Can't believe that game is running on the Source engine.  :o


And somebody is getting cocky:



I hope they earn that cockiness with this new shooter.  Lord knows Battlefield and CoD are getting long in the tooth.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

FlickJax

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 21, 2013, 10:02:46 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on August 21, 2013, 09:32:08 PM
Quote from: Gusington on August 21, 2013, 07:03:07 AM
I so wish it had a SP component.

I'm glad that it doesn't.

Want to focus on a SP game? Cool. Don't toss in a half baked MP portion that even you as a dev don't want.
Want to focus on an MP game? Cool. Don't waste time on a half baked 'campaign' that will interest nobody.

Or, option three. Make a game with a strong SP campaign, and a fully featured MP suite that will interest EVERYBODY.

+1 here, i will delay a few weeks to see if it survives as MP only.