Main Menu

Shadowrun Returns

Started by Nefaro, May 06, 2013, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro

Looks like the upcoming RPG that made such big Kickstarter bank is now available for pre-order at Steam.  Due in June.

This is one in which I'll leap before even looking.  8)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234650/

Swatter

Looks like a modern Baldurs Gate, not a bad thing for a party based RPG. Its looks like a classic RPG brought into the modern age, lets hope the story makes this one a keeper.

Tpek

I just can't hold my anticipation over this.

Has a firm release date finally been announced?
Steam has been listing it as June for quite some time now. And I do think the Harebrained Schemes people (the devs) said something about a firm release date.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on May 07, 2013, 11:35:33 AM
I just can't hold my anticipation over this.

Has a firm release date finally been announced?
Steam has been listing it as June for quite some time now. And I do think the Harebrained Schemes people (the devs) said something about a firm release date.

Yes.. it just says "June".

As someone previously mentioned, Steam seems to schedule release dates long before they arrive so they look to be pretty firm.  I suppose that just promotes buggy releases but at least the post-release updates happen more often.

I suspect that this release date was scheduled awhile back, and as with many releases.. it will probably need some early patching.  I say this because it sounds like they only just added the 'Matrix Running' mini-game thing fairly recently, and I didn't expect this to be released for another year or more ( the kickstarter wasn't terribly long ago).  It's probably short on content, in the hopes that the player base will kick out a lot of stuff with the full editor that's included - that's what the $20 price tag tells me.  I was hoping it'd be content heavy on release but if you don't expect a lot then you'll rarely be disappointed, right?  ;)

Blucher

#4
I have also pre-ordered this. It's my understanding that the Berlin DLC is supposed to be released immediately when the base game is released. I know the people that pledged are supposed to receive Berlin when they get their copies.

Nefaro

Just now watched that full Alpha preview from months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiMjQwd2VE

This looks fookeen awesome! We Wantsss iiit!   

When they said June release, I suppose that means June 30?  :P  Hopefully there are plenty user-created scenarios coming out (and the editor is nice).  IIRC, there's some preview of the editor on youtube also.  ???

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Nefaro on June 15, 2013, 11:14:07 PM
Just now watched that full Alpha preview from months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MiMjQwd2VE

This looks fookeen awesome! We Wantsss iiit!   

When they said June release, I suppose that means June 30?  :P  Hopefully there are plenty user-created scenarios coming out (and the editor is nice).  IIRC, there's some preview of the editor on youtube also.  ???

Looks pretty nice....likely will make my purchase list too....I saw on the forums someone speculated as early as 6/26 or by end of the month.

Nefaro

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 15, 2013, 11:25:09 PM


Looks pretty nice....likely will make my purchase list too....I saw on the forums someone speculated as early as 6/26 or by end of the month.

Yeah, I'd guess the 25th or the 26th.  So many release on a Tuesday, seems to be a common industry standard (like dvd movies). 

After watching the clips on the editor, I'm impressed with it's relative ease of use.  There should be a steady stream of user content.

Darkspire

Quote from: Swatter on May 06, 2013, 11:12:01 PM
Looks like a modern Baldurs Gate, not a bad thing for a party based RPG. Its looks like a classic RPG brought into the modern age, lets hope the story makes this one a keeper.

I have waited 20 years for a followup, think I played and finished the SNES version more times than I can count, at the end of the game the sequel is outlined but never saw light of day. One of the best cyberpunk games going along with Neuromancer on the Amiga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun_%281993_video_game%29

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.



Nefaro

Quote from: Darkspire on June 16, 2013, 06:14:49 AM


I have waited 20 years for a followup, think I played and finished the SNES version more times than I can count, at the end of the game the sequel is outlined but never saw light of day. One of the best cyberpunk games going along with Neuromancer on the Amiga.



I recall playing the Sega Genesis version, which was reportedly very different from the SNES one. 

The Genesis version was a sandbox-ish style RPG with some randomization.  It was one of the best console games from that era.  I was surprised at how open the game was because consoles titles were usually quite limited in scope & console rpgs generally led you by the nose.  Another fun part of it was the Netrunning side, which was a whole separate game.  I had high hopes for the netrunning side of things in this new one but it sounds like a small side-game afterthought in this one - no "jacking in" just to steal random corp secrets and sell them for nuyen.

The mod community is already in high swing, and remakes of the old games are only a couple of the ones being cooked up.  After seeing the editor, I'm sure there will at least be a steady flow of scenarios to download.  Something nice in particular is the modular scripting options that cuts out so much typing, syntax issues, and the need to search for all the script commands/tags/etc (since they're all in big dropdown menus).  Much faster & easier than the NWN series' editors.

Tpek

#11
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/512751

Game will actually be available on the 25th :)
Huzzah!


EDIT: ARGH! I read it wrong.
It's JULY 25. They've delayed the release.  :-\  :-[

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on June 18, 2013, 10:44:43 AM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/512751

Game will actually be available on the 25th :)
Huzzah!


EDIT: ARGH! I read it wrong.
It's JULY 25. They've delayed the release.  :-\  :-[

Damn.  I should've expected an extra month delay.  :-[

RooksBailey

Quote from: Nefaro on June 16, 2013, 12:42:04 PM
The mod community is already in high swing, and remakes of the old games are only a couple of the ones being cooked up.  After seeing the editor, I'm sure there will at least be a steady flow of scenarios to download.  Something nice in particular is the modular scripting options that cuts out so much typing, syntax issues, and the need to search for all the script commands/tags/etc (since they're all in big dropdown menus).  Much faster & easier than the NWN series' editors.

Yeah, you can see a bunch of videos on how to use the editor here:  http://shadowrun-returns.wikispaces.com/Editor+Overview

I've only watched two vids, but I think even I can figure this out.   :D  Seems much easier than Arma 2's overly-complex editor.  It's been a long time since I played a game that had a robust but easy to use editor.  This alone might sell me on the game (I am completely unfamiliar with this franchise). 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

airboy

Been burned way too many times to buy without a review or enough people playing the game to make sure it works well.
No pre-order for me.

But hope the thing works out so I can get it.