Main Menu

Shogun 2 Total War

Started by Martok, June 22, 2013, 04:23:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Martok

One thing that does bother me about Shogun 2 is how short the campaign is.  Personally, I feel 220 turns is not a lot of time to win...particularly since expanding quickly seems to bring disaster (even more so than in the first STW).  Anyone else have this issue? 





Quote from: Sir Slash on June 22, 2013, 11:27:52 PM
Try letting them sit in a city until they pick-up a couple of levels. In FOTS this works pretty quickly. I can't remember if the same works in Shogun 2.
Well that's what I'm trying now.  We'll see how/if it works. 





Quote from: bob48 on June 23, 2013, 05:39:02 AM
I actally tried that last night, but enemy agents seem to zero in on them and kick 'em in the nuts before they can level up. Not only that, but either the AI is bloody smart or this was a coincient, but the clan that declared war on actually move agents into place outside / near cities and made a fine job of eliminating my leaders.

I guess I should have seen it coming, but it was neatly done.
I doubt the timing was a coincidence.  When I declared war on the Satomi (and unknowingly, the Satake as well), they quickly dispatched agents to take out my own ninja & matsuke.  They even tried to bribe my general, although fortunately without success. 

Coordinating their military operations with that of their agents is another way in which the AI has impressed me. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Some newer mods have been released to extend the length of the campaigns. You can get them over at TWC.

I play most of my TW campaigns on Normal/Normal...very rarely, I bump up the difficulty.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

I have been playing on normal/normal...with darthmod (I must be a gluton for punishment!)
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

TheCommandTent

How easy is it to mod the STEAM version of the game since it doesn't have STEAM Workshop yet?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on June 23, 2013, 11:52:25 AM
Some newer mods have been released to extend the length of the campaigns. You can get them over at TWC.
Good to know.  I'm not gonna go grab any of those mods yet -- I want to get a better feel for the game's pacing -- but I'm glad the option is there. 



Quote from: Gusington on June 23, 2013, 11:52:25 AM
I play most of my TW campaigns on Normal/Normal...very rarely, I bump up the difficulty.
Quote from: Shelldrake on June 23, 2013, 04:05:59 PM
I have been playing on normal/normal...with darthmod (I must be a gluton for punishment!)
That's about the highest I was planning to go as well, at least for the time being.  Just seeing how the AI does on Easy, I don't even want to imagine what it's like on Hard or Legendary.  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Shogun II does have the Steam workshop.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2013, 07:41:57 AM
Shogun II does have the Steam workshop.

Yep.

I thought one of the mods that extends the time limit was in there, too.  ???

Sir Slash

I remember playing as the Choksabe clan I think, on the Hard/Normal level and was doing great until I hit Realm Divide. Then the game became un-winnable with all my allies/vassals turning against me and my cities flowing with public disorder. So I installed the Darth mod and from a pre-Realm save was able to win against a tough but manageable AI. I grabbed the Trade Ports on the west side of the map and built a large navy to protect them and my income steadily increased. Check your food production every turn and keep your farms upgraded because lack of food will cause public disorder to skyrocket. Even with enough food, public order becomes a problem as the cities get bigger. Before you build anything, check to see what it'll do to your food level. The division between Christianity and Buddism will also cause trouble in your cities.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Realm Divide is one of the few things I would mod in Shogun 2...for me the rest of the game is really strong.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2013, 07:41:57 AM
Shogun II does have the Steam workshop.

Not sure how I missed it.  Thanks!
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Gusington

I haven't actually used it...I don't think it's as all-encompassing as the Civ V shop as the code for the game is not as user friendly for modding. But...there are some mods there with some great reputations that I am tempted to try.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Shelldrake

Quote from: Gusington on June 24, 2013, 01:35:10 PM
Realm Divide is one of the few things I would mod in Shogun 2...for me the rest of the game is really strong.

That is the major reason that I am using Darthmod which I believe makes it more likely for allies to stick by you when Realm Divide hits.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Sir Slash

Exactly. In both Shogun 2 and FOTS, Realm Divide can be survived using Darth.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Shelldrake just kicked my ass in a game of PBEM Commander - The Great War so I don't know what he's afraid of!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: Shelldrake on June 24, 2013, 07:20:37 PM
That is the major reason that I am using Darthmod which I believe makes it more likely for allies to stick by you when Realm Divide hits.
Quote from: Sir Slash on June 24, 2013, 10:00:12 PM
Exactly. In both Shogun 2 and FOTS, Realm Divide can be survived using Darth.
Can Darthmod be used in conjunction with other mods?  (Such as one extending/increasing the number of turns in the campaign?) 

Also, what does Darth actually change?  I know his mods for previous TW titles are about and/or involve improving AI performance, but how does he accomplish this? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces