Graviteam Games Question

Started by JudgeDredd, July 05, 2013, 02:20:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jomni

#60
OMG!  Air Display.  Uninstalled it.

When I started APOS, this is now what I get.


Progress? I remember seeing this issue when I was looking for answers.  But can't remember where and what fixes this.
Trouble is, there's not a lot of info flying around the net regarding these issues.

jomni

#61
I see this is when we need to turn AA off (Thanks SDR).  Now were're talking.



Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on July 17, 2013, 05:55:27 PM
I see this is when we need to turn AA off.  Now were're talking.


Wasn't that SDR's first suggestion?  ???

mikeck

Yeah, but i thought he tried that but needed to turn of the airplane program or whatever.
Anyway, glad you got it working. It's a fantastic game engine. My favorite (semi) modern tactical game
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

jomni

Yeah I need to do two things instead of one that most people usually do. :/

Then my guys just got massacred during my first battle.  Gotta learn what tactics work and what do not.

Thanks to SDR and Thomasew

Boggit

I got APOS recently but am finding the UI somewhat overwhelming compared to Combat Mission. Anybody recommend a good tutorial?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

jomni

Quote from: Boggit on August 03, 2013, 11:45:09 PM
I got APOS recently but am finding the UI somewhat overwhelming compared to Combat Mission. Anybody recommend a good tutorial?

Actually the UI is alright for me.  Quite easy to use.  My problem is I don't know what I'm doing.
What are the effects of each type of command and I need tips and tricks.
Yes a tutorial would help. :)

Nefaro

Quote from: jomni on August 04, 2013, 06:37:28 AM
Quote from: Boggit on August 03, 2013, 11:45:09 PM
I got APOS recently but am finding the UI somewhat overwhelming compared to Combat Mission. Anybody recommend a good tutorial?

Actually the UI is alright for me.  Quite easy to use.  My problem is I don't know what I'm doing.
What are the effects of each type of command and I need tips and tricks.
Yes a tutorial would help. :)

Yeah, that's the real learning curve of the UI.  There are so many extra options. 

You can probably get away with ignoring a few of them for awhile, such as various formations.

mikeck

Quote from: Boggit on August 03, 2013, 11:45:09 PM
I got APOS recently but am finding the UI somewhat overwhelming compared to Combat Mission. Anybody recommend a good tutorial?

I too found the UI to be "odd" at best. And no, there really aren't too many video tutorials.  Best way, as always is to grab hold of it and fight that sum-bitch until it submits and accepts you as it's master. No other way.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

sandman2575

The UI is much-maligned, but really not so bad once you get the hang of it -- in fact, it gives you a lot of flexibility in how you manipulate your units, and despite all its quirks, you might end of actually 'liking' it in the end -- I actually think it's pretty great.

Problem is getting the hang of it -- and no other way than as others suggest, to just dive in and experiment.

The lack of documentation in terms of manuals / tutorials is almost a point of pride for Graviteam.  Definitely an ethos of "Our way or the highway." It's frustrating.  But the game is admittedly excellent.

mikeck

Yeah I kind of like the user interface now that I am used to it. I actually prefer it to many other similar games
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

The game engine is simply spectacular. Nothing like it before or since. As far as creating immersive "you are there" situations, nothing else comes close. Just look at my latest screenshots in the screenshot thread.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 04, 2013, 01:22:31 PM
The game engine is simply spectacular. Nothing like it before or since. As far as creating immersive "you are there" situations, nothing else comes close. Just look at my latest screenshots in the screenshot thread.

Agreed. In my last game, I was amazed as sparks not only flew off my T-62 when struck by enemy fire, but as they blew off, they blew away quickly in the wind. That plus the noise and dust blowing REALLY provides immersion in that environment. Little details
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dolan50

The graphics and large map playing areas are what sold me on this game the most.
The graphic presentations have really improved over the last year and get even better with each new DLC,though I haven't been too pleased with newer modern maps.Hopefully that will change with the WW2 Voronezh(Shilovo) and the Mius front maps.

The winter maps are my favorite and I especially like turning on the simple shaders and turning off the shading for that very bleak and dreary cold winter look.During quick battles I generally like using the morning setting with storm weather to simulate heavy morning fog and mist.

Graviteam in my opinion has realistically captured the utter desolation of the Ukrainian winter environment with their blizzards,fog,storms and snow settings and I can't think of any other company that does it better for this type of game.

This is my all time favorite game and wish they had more capital to churn out more and different theatres.I personally think they would do a fantastic job with a Battle of the Bulge environment if they had a decent financial backer.

If Graviteam only "did" battles in the Ukraine that wouldn't upset me either though.That was probably the most fought over region in the world during WW2 with plenty of interesting campaigns and battles to choose from between the summer of 41 and spring of 44.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Dolan50

The UI is very intuitive once you figure it out.
You can give simple commands by pressing the space bar and LMB the commands and modifiers and RMB where you want them to go.

In the left hand corner of the screen are other ways to give commands in the UI.The thick turn arrow is for movement(the thin turn arrow is for facing),once you LMB that button a modifier menu will pop up.Above are some modifiers for spacing and fomation types.The 3 formation types are 1)tactical column,2)column and 3) line.Press either one then press the button for spacing that has 3 men on them and 3 different selections for spread variation,from close to maximum spread.Also another set of modifiers for rows 1-3.

If you run your mouse cursor over the other buttons on the UI it will give a description of other movement options,such as defense,assault,vehicle road column movement etc...You can also modify these orders in some instances also.

Basically,all you do is LMB unit selection or draw a box around the units you want to order(holding the LMB down as you draw the box) then LMB type of order(or space bar) then LMB modify if you want to modify then RMB where you want them to go.

In the command options are other commands you can issue using your keyboard.(I personally don't use this much except for camera movement and interface options).You can also change them to any button you like on your keyboard to make them easier to use and remember.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".