Have you Pre-Ordered Europa Universalis IV?

Started by republic, August 03, 2013, 05:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Yskonyn

CK2 is definately not a 'watch the clock tick and wait for the AI' type of game. The countless events make you revise a given strategy oftentimes.
The problem is usually with keeping the speed at 1x. Then it becomes boring for long stretches quickly. You just dont have to be afraid to use the speed options.

I suspect this will be the same for EU, but I havent put much time into 3 yet and will now just wait for 4. ;)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Bison

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM
Heh.  I like Paradox's games, but I have to admit that it does boil down to just that. :)

I really like CK2 and EU: Rome too.  CK2 does give you more to do, but there is still a lot of clock watching for events and characters to develop.  I'm not saying they are horrible games by any stretch.  They just play much differently then other strategy games.

mikeck

Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM
Heh.  I like Paradox's games, but I have to admit that it does boil down to just that. :)

Well for short periods of time, yeah. But if you do t so anything in CK2 you will find yourself without an heir and having lost al of your lands fairly quickly. Like Distant Worlds, the Ai is there to manage at the micro level. Your job is to manage at the macro level. So you can sit back and watch the AI make micro decisions and it may seem like its playing itself. After awile though, things will go to hell if you don't guide it. That's the beauty. Of course, it ain't for everyone
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Huw the Poo

Well yes, of course I don't actually mean that you don't do anything in these games.  But you have to admit, you do spend a lot of time in time compression, just watching the game play.  I'm not even complaining; as I said, I like PDS games.  I even liked Sengoku!


Bison

Quote from: mikeck on August 10, 2013, 03:53:22 PM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on August 10, 2013, 01:03:43 PM
Heh.  I like Paradox's games, but I have to admit that it does boil down to just that. :)

Well for short periods of time, yeah. But if you do t so anything in CK2 you will find yourself without an heir and having lost al of your lands fairly quickly. Like Distant Worlds, the Ai is there to manage at the micro level. Your job is to manage at the macro level. So you can sit back and watch the AI make micro decisions and it may seem like its playing itself. After awile though, things will go to hell if you don't guide it. That's the beauty. Of course, it ain't for everyone

I would argue that the macro is almost secondary to the mico of character development is some regards in terms of importance of the game.  Sure it's a good plan to unit x,y, and z territory to create x, y, or z position, but it the micro of character management that makes it happen.

jomni

Quote from: Gusington on August 10, 2013, 02:02:55 PM
The feature that really got me interested here is the game converter, from CK to EU.

You also have that for old CK and EU titles.

Gusington

Interesting. But the only older title I have is EUI.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

republic

I finally pre-ordered...  I wasn't going to because I can't play for a long while anyhow...but who knows...maybe this Paradox game won't go on sale for awhile, and will make my preorder a good bargain.  (hah!)

WallysWorld

The demo is very good and it's very tempting to pre-order, but I'm just getting around to finally learning how to seriously play EU III years after I bought the game and all of the DLC.
"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

hurryover

I have pre-ordered EU 4. I confess. The game series is addicting for me. I think some other wargaming publishers should learn a thing or two from Paradox about how to put together a good looking UI.

Kushan

Finally pre-ordered. Looking forward to Tuesday.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

undercovergeek


Anguille


PanzersEast

Couple things I like after playing the demo....

- The map is just awesome.... the shadows, ships, units etc.... very nice!
- New Production Screen/Method.... very nice to click the county you want to build.
- The interface is very clean and easy to navigate
- Trade map mode is very useful and the Trade options of flow


Looks like my other games will get a on-hold status.... glad I finished my latest CK2 game.


PE