Main Menu

EU IV....Why?

Started by solops, August 14, 2013, 07:25:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

solops

I already have EU I, II, and III with all of the expansions. Why should I buy EU-IV? Criminy, why don't I just wait for EU-6? What is there about IV that makes it worth buying when I have EU-3, fully expanded?
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin
Bless those who heal our injuries.
Customer support by AI is evil.

mikeck

Because EU 5 and 6 aren't out yet.

Seriously though, because its a better version. For me, it's like CK2 vs CK1
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RooksBailey

Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2013, 07:49:59 PM
Because EU 5 and 6 aren't out yet.

LOL!   ;D

I would rep you if I could.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

jomni

It more or less the same as EU3.  But there are minor UI changes that goes a long way (like production).
Trade had a complete overhaul so I'm learning the ropes.  But it seems to be better than Marchant spam method before .

Nefaro

#4
Quote from: jomni on August 14, 2013, 09:20:30 PM
It more or less the same as EU3.  But there are minor UI changes that goes a long way (like production).
Trade had a complete overhaul so I'm learning the ropes.  But it seems to be better than Marchant spam method before .

There are many smaller improvements over EU3, too.  Perhaps I just notice more of them because I had quite a few complaints about specific aspects of EU3 that were frustrating or yanked me out of the immersion.

One great example is ..>ZOMG NO MOAR RUBBERBANDING ARMIEZ!!11

I'm also enjoying the change to the 'Monarch Points' rather than the previous Culture Points and Great Persons.  They seem to be used in a wider variety of advancement & building options, so more tough decisions to be made.

Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2013, 07:49:59 PM
Because EU 5 and 6 aren't out yet.

But before EU5 and 6 are out --- there are still the inevitable two dozen DLC packs for EU4 to come! 

QuoteSeriously though, because its a better version. For me, it's like CK2 vs CK1

Yeah, definitely akin to the jump from CK to CK2.   Many of the basic stats and terms are still present, but the game mechanics got a much needed workover (along with graphics, UI, spit & polish).


jomni

In my opinion, CK1 to CK2 was a bug jump.
EU3 to EU4 is not such a if jump.

Nefaro

Well.. it is for me because I had a lot of complaints about game mechanics in EU3, many of which have been addressed in the latest.  I had never played EU3 for such long stints as I have EU4, even when I first got the whole collection.  It had too many problematic behaviors and mechanics that were never fixed or changed.

Graphics- or UI-wise, no.  Not as big of a jump.  I'm judging on gameplay.

jomni

I guess I played EU3 a lot and never complained about any of the mechanics.
So if they say fixed something in EU4, then I don't think of it as a fix but as a minor game  play variation / evolution

sandman2575

Quote from: solops on August 14, 2013, 07:25:08 PM
I already have EU I, II, and III with all of the expansions. Why should I buy EU-IV? Criminy, why don't I just wait for EU-6? What is there about IV that makes it worth buying when I have EU-3, fully expanded?

How much do you like EU3 though?  If you really still enjoy it, you probably can pass on EU4, for the time being anyway.

I could never get into EU3, despite several tries.  But I've already spent more hours on EU4 than I ever did in EU3.  I'm not sure the advance is quite so dramatic as CK2 vs original CK --  CK2 is a quantum leap over the original, which is all but unplayable now.  Fully tricked-out EU3 could still certainly be enjoyable. 

But the more streamlined trade and economics of EU4 is reason enough to update, if (like me) you found those things frustrating in EU3.  No more 'annual' vs. 'monthly' budget confusion. No more constantly having to check if your merchants are breaking into Centers of Trade.  Information is just way more cleanly presented in EU4.

...I do kind of miss the 'city view' though.  It was functionally pointless, but I liked zooming in to see what improvements my cities added.  EU4 eliminated that...

Yskonyn

I jumped in on EU 4 because I got suckered in after reading the dev blogs, watching some videos and then I found that I most likely would understand how to play EU 4, whereas EU 3 remained a big pile of numbers and buttons to me.

I like the era and always thought I should like EU, but with four it all starts to make sense. I, too, have put in much more time in 4 than I ever did in 3.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

jomni

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 15, 2013, 02:45:33 AM
I jumped in on EU 4 because I got suckered in after reading the dev blogs, watching some videos and then I found that I most likely would understand how to play EU 4, whereas EU 3 remained a big pile of numbers and buttons to me.

Well looks like they did good marketing this time around. :)
If you know and understand EU3, then EU4 is not that different.  You just have to "re-learn" the tweaked game mechanics.

bbmike

All of the above, and think of it as an economic stimulus package for Paradox.  :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mikeck

Quote from: jomni on August 15, 2013, 05:08:25 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on August 15, 2013, 02:45:33 AM
I jumped in on EU 4 because I got suckered in after reading the dev blogs, watching some videos and then I found that I most likely would understand how to play EU 4, whereas EU 3 remained a big pile of numbers and buttons to me.

Well looks like they did good marketing this time around. :)
If you know and understand EU3, then EU4 is not that different.  You just have to "re-learn" the tweaked game mechanics.

All in all,  4 is simply much better than 3. Why not play the better (far better) and prettier game for $40? I suppose you could wait for a sale but you will eventually want to grab it. Don't go trying to convince yourself it is just and "update"...it's not. I Never got into 3 but I am loving 4.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

^Great...just one more thing to keep me from committing to HOI3.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.