Tropico 5 announced...

Started by Anguille, August 15, 2013, 08:37:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Anguille


eyebiter

Wonder if they will use Steam DRM, or the Kalypso account again?

sandman2575

Man, and I just bought Tropico 4 during the Steam sale and have barely touched it.

...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.

Anguille

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 15, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.

Thanks...and the lady lives in my city  8)

Nefaro

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 15, 2013, 10:05:32 AM
Man, and I just bought Tropico 4 during the Steam sale and have barely touched it.

...smokin' avatar by the way, Anguille.

Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.

bbmike

Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM
Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.

Totally agree. I won't buy 5 unless it includes major changes to the game.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

LongBlade

Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 02:22:05 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 15, 2013, 12:09:49 PM
Don't worry.  If they stay true to form, Tropico 5 will just be Tropico 4 that they just crank out steady little DLCs for.

Seriously.. has anyone else played Tropico 3 and Tropico 4 base games?  They're almost exactly alike.  Maybe a couple extra buildings available in the second one?  Very much a DLC marketing scheme.  Hopefully they do something a bit more fancy with 5.

My advice... play T4 and wait on reviews.

Totally agree. I won't buy 5 unless it includes major changes to the game.

Tropico 4 was fun but was mostly incremental changes to the game.

The again, the series is so good that if they made major changes they might screw it up.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Wolfe1759

Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

bbmike

Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

RooksBailey

I purchased Tropico 4 Complete (the one with all the DLC) for like $10 early this summer.  It is a perfect summer game.   ;D  However, I agree that it gets old fast.  It needs to expand beyond just building up your island.  If Tropico 5 does indeed expand the breadth of the game into global politics, it will definitely be a step in the right direction.   

Like everyone else, I am willing to wait and see what happens with T5.  If it is like T4, I can wait for another $10 deal. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Anguille

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 15, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.

Indeed...i've been following Haemimont games since the beginning and they tend to use the same engine twice (tropico 3 & 4, Glory of the Roman & Imperium Romanum)...I suspect something new this time.

LongBlade

Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...

I always have loved Tropico. Have I played every level? No.

But the Samba music playing as I build my little island into a tropical banana republic is an experience I look forward to. Which reminds me: I should probably install Tropico 4 on this machine and give it a go.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on August 16, 2013, 08:37:22 AM
Quote from: bbmike on August 15, 2013, 05:43:59 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on August 15, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
This reminds me I still need to finish Tropico 4. :)

And that's another other thing. I don't know about you, but there's something about the Tropico series that fails to really hold my attention. It needs something more...

I always have loved Tropico. Have I played every level? No.

But the Samba music playing as I build my little island into a tropical banana republic is an experience I look forward to. Which reminds me: I should probably install Tropico 4 on this machine and give it a go.

The music and radio announcements do add alot of great atmosphere to the game.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

bbmike

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on August 15, 2013, 05:37:29 PM
Watching the trailer my impression is that Tropico 5 could be a totally different game from previous Tropicos.

The emphasis seems to be on it being a Global game with El Prez taking over the world rather than just one island.

I may be reading more into it than there is however.
Well, it does sound like they are changing it up a bit. You move through time on your island (no world conquest  :P). If it's done right it might be interesting to watch your island change from the colonial period as it moves into the future. Hopefully there will be more external forces (nature, diplomacy) to shape it.

From Kalypso:
El Presidente returns in Tropico 5! And he is no longer on his own. In the sequel to the popular and highly acclaimed Tropico-series, players will be able to lead a whole dynasty of dictators through different eras. Starting out in the early colonial period, you'll help guide El Presidente and his loyal subjects through different periods of history until well beyond the 21st century.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak