Combat Mssion Market Gardem

Started by Bismarck, August 16, 2013, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 16, 2013, 05:43:32 PM
I thought it was $10.

If you buy upgrade right now, it is $10.  However, if you buy the upgrade bundled with the Market Garden purchase it will only cost $5.  It probably would have been less confusing if they just sold the Market Garden expansion for an additional $5 and just said the 2.0 upgrade was included:)  Probably nobody would have had an issue with that even though the outcome would have been the same...

Bison

No because someone would bitch that this expansion is more expensive than the others.  Frankly if $5 is going to break the bank then maybe some other live priorities need to be looked at before buying a game.

Grim.Reaper

Probably.....regardless, I will be pre ordering as usual when it becomes available...

Bison

I'll be getting it too at some point.  Maybe not pre-order or first day this time, but I will get it because I think CMX2 is the best thing going for that type of game.

Toonces

It makes sense, though, that if the patch thing is causing consternation among customers, why not just fold the $5 into the cost of the expansion?

It's not about the money, but about the perception.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

RooksBailey

#20
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on August 16, 2013, 10:24:52 PM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on August 16, 2013, 05:43:32 PM
I thought it was $10.

If you buy upgrade right now, it is $10.  However, if you buy the upgrade bundled with the Market Garden purchase it will only cost $5.  It probably would have been less confusing if they just sold the Market Garden expansion for an additional $5 and just said the 2.0 upgrade was included:)  Probably nobody would have had an issue with that even though the outcome would have been the same...

See, I find that a bit more...easy to swallow.  Just a bit, mind you, but probably enough to get me to fork over my cash.  At least Battlefront seems to be making an effort on their part rather than merely going ahead with a "like it or leave it" mentality.

For me, it isn't about the money but about the practice.  As I've said before, no other gaming company that I know of, big or small, major studio or indie shack, charges for a mere patch.  An expansion, sure, but never a patch.  And I also know of no other studio that upon releasing an expansion also charges for a separate patch (if anything, it is the complete reverse: the mega-patch that accompanies an expansion is usually distributed to both people who buy the expansion and those who don't for free).  $5 is still outrageous, but at least it is more of a token outrage.   ;D

The other problem I have with this is that initially we were told that if you didn't want the patch, fine - no one is making you buy it.  Well...now they are.  Which is what I expected from Day One because no other outcome made sense. 

Anyway, just my two cents.  I am looking forward to this expansion, so it is what it is.
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Bison

This has been the Battlefront line all along.  $10 now following the CMBI release to bring CMBN up to V 2.0 or wait for MG and pay $5 to bring it up to V 2.0.  I'm not sure how outrageous it really is compared to the DLC a minute releases that many dev/pub are using these days.  Hell you pay $5 for the Paradox DLC when it is newly released and all you get is some new skins or shields or a song. Or $5 for a new civ or some other trinkets in CIV V.  The list there goes on and on. Here your are getting a pretty major code over hall that brings some really great features into the game.  In any event, I'm looking forward to MG because it'll bring hours of entertainment at a pretty cheap rate.

ComradeP

The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

Zonso

Perception of others is one of those nebulous things, hard to pin down and even harder to understand. Individually it seems some are in the denial stage and refusing to accept the reality presented. Battlefront is selling an upgrade not a patch, patches have always been free. The version 2 upgrade is full of useful gameplay features that for $10 is a no brainer, the new graphical aspect is just icing on the cake. As noted above, Battlefront is hardly unique here, many sell DLC offering much less content. Perhaps they should start selling extra uniforms and AFV skins, and that would be more palatable?

When I first bought CMBN over 2years ago I paid a whopping $55, then another $10 for the 2.0 upgrade. Today the base game is just $35, add on the $10 upgrade and the wait and see crowd is still better off with the latest engine. I fail to see the issue whether is 'packaged' as such or not. Market Garden is an optional module for CMBN, not a base game and requires the latest version of the engine to play, which after 2 and a half years has changed significantly. It's not hard to understand a company improving their product and moving forward. Most gamers, me included, are happy to be able to keep the engine current.

Regardless of the perception hubbub, the MG module looks to cover a very interesting period of history and am looking forward to the new and challenging tactical situations.

Tuna

Quote from: Zonso on August 17, 2013, 08:52:48 AM
Perception of others is one of those nebulous things, hard to pin down and even harder to understand. Individually it seems some are in the denial stage and refusing to accept the reality presented. Battlefront is selling an upgrade not a patch, patches have always been free. The version 2 upgrade is full of useful gameplay features that for $10 is a no brainer, the new graphical aspect is just icing on the cake. As noted above, Battlefront is hardly unique here, many sell DLC offering much less content. Perhaps they should start selling extra uniforms and AFV skins, and that would be more palatable?

When I first bought CMBN over 2years ago I paid a whopping $55, then another $10 for the 2.0 upgrade. Today the base game is just $35, add on the $10 upgrade and the wait and see crowd is still better off with the latest engine. I fail to see the issue whether is 'packaged' as such or not. Market Garden is an optional module for CMBN, not a base game and requires the latest version of the engine to play, which after 2 and a half years has changed significantly. It's not hard to understand a company improving their product and moving forward. Most gamers, me included, are happy to be able to keep the engine current.

Regardless of the perception hubbub, the MG module looks to cover a very interesting period of history and am looking forward to the new and challenging tactical situations.

And there's nothing wrong with that, if it's their model. But people buying the game for the first time.. .don't make it an additional purchase.. if you need the money for it that bad, then add it to the price of the base game, which like you said would still be cheaper than the original.. 45 instead of 55.

But when unknowing customers (and there are a few out there), go and buy and then figure out, hey, I don't even have the latest features.. they get pissed, and I don't blame them.

This is also the great thing about a site like Grogheads.. people can discuss both sides of the fence without fear of being attacked for it!

Con

First I like Battlefront also I am a big proponent of letting business work their own models since ultimately they are responsible for their own sucess and failures.

That being said I do think Tuna hit on something here which is this is a failure in marketing and positioning of this product.

The two versions of CMBN needs to be clearly differentiated and positioned both by name/title strategy and branding from each other.

This I think would help eliminate the confusion and distaste that comes from making a purchase only to find out through lack of knowledge that upgrades (even though at minimal cost) are required to get the high end features.

Con

Bison

Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 09:41:00 AM

This is also the great thing about a site like Grogheads.. people can discuss both sides of the fence without fear of being attacked for it!

Quit being a jerk!  :P

magnus

 That was my gist. CMBN is $ 45 with the upgrade and BIT is $ 55.

So you do save $ 10.

Most other companies would make you buy BIT.

Tuna

Quote from: Bison on August 17, 2013, 09:58:18 AM
Quote from: Tuna on August 17, 2013, 09:41:00 AM

This is also the great thing about a site like Grogheads.. people can discuss both sides of the fence without fear of being attacked for it!

Quit being a jerk!  :P

THAT DOES IT!!! I'M GONNA LEARN THAT DOTA2 EVEN IF THE STRESSFULNESS GIVES ME A HEART ATTACK AND KILLS ME.. AND COMING ON THERE AND GIVE YOU A WHOOPING IN MP!!!

:o  ;D

Off topic, I sat down next to my son who was playing League of Legends (The Dota2 clone) the other night and started playing my bass.. He said "Can you please stop that".. I figured cause of my lousy bass playing.. The next day, he said, he was sorry it was just that the game is very stressful. lol.. I said "why do you play then!".... He is playing League of Legends every minutes he's on the computer, with a lil Dota2 (which I wanted to try with him along with Bison).. I'm worried about addiction here!.. He needs to have a nice healthy case of Gamers ADD, like we all have and he used to.

Tuna

Quote from: magnus on August 17, 2013, 10:03:44 AM
That was my gist. CMBN is $ 45 with the upgrade and BIT is $ 55.

So you do save $ 10.

Most other companies would make you buy BIT.

What is BIT?