Combat Mssion Market Gardem

Started by Bismarck, August 16, 2013, 02:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Nefaro


jomni


JasonPratt

Quote from: Bison on August 18, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
Got it.  It's not a cheap gaming purchase, but again something like CIV V will cost you $150 if you buy all expansions and dlc.

Um... no? I think the answer is no: I sure didn't pay that for CivV, and won't have paid that for the recent BNW expansion either.

But then, that game and its ilk goes on sale every once in a while. ;)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Bison

#48
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 19, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 18, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
Got it.  It's not a cheap gaming purchase, but again something like CIV V will cost you $150 if you buy all expansions and dlc.

Um... no? I think the answer is no: I sure didn't pay that for CivV, and won't have paid that for the recent BNW expansion either.

But then, that game and its ilk goes on sale every once in a while. ;)

Actually you would without the Steam sales.  Which goes to the point a company like 2K can afford for Steam to give their games away precisely because a multitude of people do pay full price.  How many here bought CIV V, G&K, and BNW for full price?  That alone is $50 + $30 + $30 = $110.  Trust me not everyone held out for a mega-sale.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 19, 2013, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: Bison on August 18, 2013, 07:49:21 PM
Got it.  It's not a cheap gaming purchase, but again something like CIV V will cost you $150 if you buy all expansions and dlc.

Um... no? I think the answer is no: I sure didn't pay that for CivV, and won't have paid that for the recent BNW expansion either.

But then, that game and its ilk goes on sale every once in a while. ;)

Quite true.  I paid a total of about $20 to $25 for everything Civ 5 except the last expansion.  Of course, it's a larger company occasionally putting it on sale. 

But ya know what?  I would never have bought all the masses of DLC and the first expansion for Civ5 if it hadn't gone on sale.  So there's another point.  I actually purchased CMBN & the Commonwealth pack when they offered a bundle and lowered the price on it long ago.  Wouldn't have otherwise, either.  It was still rather pricey but I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt, which didn't quite work out as the next release ended up being a Standalone and they charged for the game updates to the stuff they released the year before.  Not quite as much of a big deal if they hadn't been saying that they were only gonna add the rest of their WW2 CMx2 line as DLC when I purchased.  ???

Not the first time I've experienced such flakiness with 'em, either.  While it's a fun & challenging game, I'm just not into the CM series enough to keep playing their marketing games.

-budd-

well its seems battlefront's pricing isn't going to be a problem for me. I went over to their forums[which i haven't frequented in a long time]after reading here about market garden game coming out. Read some AAR's of CBBN and being a sucker for a good AAR i had the game in my cart ready to go, well something made me download the demo and give it a go. Wouldn't you know damn thing wont run for me. I have a laptop with on board intel graphics and i've had problems with open gl games before, but usually i just get the offending .dll file and drop into the win32 directory or the game directory and i'm in business. This one surprised me because the spec's for the game aren't that high, but nothing worked...bummer...post in the tech forum over at battlefront and the tech help basically said i was out of luck.They hadn't been able to get their game to work with my card which is a HD3000, they said it worked on the HD4000 but not mine. Even though they share the same driver and i put the newest version of the .dll file where it needed to go. I did suggest that they change the game requirements to indicate this, since my laptop more then meets the minimum specs. I can play APOS at reasonable settings, so i was surprised i couldn't run this. The bright side of this is that it got me to re-install the first 3 CM games, there all up and running fine and i've been modding every aspect of the games so i'll be ready  this weekend to play. I forgot how many mods and maps and scenario's there were and how much content battlefront packed into the first 3 game especially CMBB. I'll try the demo again when and if intel puts out another driver update. O'well...... back to modding.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

jomni

Even CMSF doesn't run well with internal graphics cards. So forget about it.

Yskonyn

Quote from: jomni on August 20, 2013, 12:15:51 AM
Even CMSF doesn't run well with internal graphics cards. So forget about it.

I find CMSF runs crappier than CMBN v2.0 even on top notch modern machines anyway, so that might not be a good gauge to go by. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Zonso

Yes definitely the v2 engine in CMBN and CMFI are more efficient and run smoother then CMSF does, ie panning or moving around the map, animations etc. It is subjective but pretty apparent during play. The graphical look is also more immersive and polished. I have used both NVidia and Radeon graphics cards, and think the games look much better with the NVidia cards, ymmv.

Urban combat is probably one of the harder aspects to model well. Some comments from BFC on Market Garden was that one of the improvements in the module will be a better simulation of urban combat. I'm not sure exactly what that entails at this point, but changes are welcome. Currently the game has certain limitations to be aware of and work around, though a good designer can make that more seamless when making the map. I recall a couple urban battles where the map design and subsequent combat resulted in a highly plausible battle.